« Canvas2 – 23

Canvas2   24   28 Canvas2   24   29 Canvas2   24   30
Canvas2   24   31 Canvas2   24   32 Canvas2   24   33
Canvas2   24   34 Canvas2   24   35 Canvas2   24   36
Canvas2   24   37 Canvas2   24   38 Canvas2   24   39
Canvas2   24   40 Canvas2   24   41 Canvas2   24   42
Canvas2   24   43 Canvas2   24   44 Canvas2   24   45

Summary:
With the Christmas party over, the acting director tells Hiroki and Kiri that she’s going succeeding her sister and officially becoming the director. After she leaves, Hiroki and Kiri agree to meet each other at the hotel’s restaurant at 7 PM. Kiri mentions that she wants to go to the beauty parlor first. Meanwhile, Takeuchi catches Elis and Tomoko on the way home. She gives Elis a pair of red gloves as a Christmas present. Elis, in turn, gives one glove to Tomoko and keeps the other – symbols of them meeting again next Christmas. Tomoko is still afraid that she won’t be around next Christmas. At home, Elis lies naked in bed with her brother’s coat as her last memory of him. By the time Hiroki comes home, Elis is gone. In her room, Hiroki finds a painting of angels with a red background. He calls her cell phone and she tells him that she’s in a taxi – she lied about going to Tomoko’s home. Elis says that she’s giving the painting to him as a Christmas present. At the end, she tells Hiroki that she loves him and then abruptly hangs up. Hiroki tries to call her back, but the crying Elis doesn’t answer. In a beauty parlor, Kiri tells the stylist that she’s going to be spending Christmas with the person she’s always liked – a childhood friend.
Hiroki is about to leave for the hotel, but his lingering thoughts of Elis cause him to turn around. Instead, he grabs his painting stuff and starts working on a present for Elis. Kiri arrives at the hotel restaurant, but finds that Hiroki isn’t there. This happens to be the same hotel that Elis is saying at and the same one that Kana and her editor Sugihara are working to finish her novel at. When Kiri calls Hiroki, he tells her about the painting that Elis left him and how he’s now painting again. Kiri knows how important this is for Hiroki and lets him go. She then calls Sugihara, but the editor is busy with Kana. Kiri ends up sleeping alone at the hotel, as does Elis (who’s still pining for Hiroki in her sleep). The next morning, Kiri, Elis, Kana, and Sugihara all leave the hotel at the same time, but manage not to run into each other. Sugihara does happen to see Kiri leave alone. By now, Hiroki has finished his painting. With very little time left, he rushes to the airport by train. While at the station, he encounters Kiri from across the train tracks. Spotting the painting in his arms, she confirms that he’s going to see off Elis. She happily asks him to give her regards. Hiroki gets on the train and yells something to Kiri, but she can’t hear him through the door. After the train pulls out of the station, Kiri cries in the arms of Sugihara, who had apparently followed her. Kiri says that she’ll be ok – she and Hiroki are returning to being childhood friends.
At the airport, Elis and Tomoko are getting ready to leave. Hiroki is late getting there, so Takeuchi leaves to look for him. Tomoko’s plane leaves first, and they all say their goodbyes to her. Because of the snow, Hiroki is now forced to take a taxi, but even the roads are clogged up. He gets out and starts running, however Takeuchi soon rides past on her motorcycle. She recognizes him and takes him to the airport. When they get there, Hiroki tells Takeuchi to stop calling him sensei. He’s going to be their art club advisor again. Takeuchi thinks to herself that she’s been waiting to hear those words. Elis’ friends keep her at the busy for just long enough so that Hiroki is able to get there. He holds up the painting he drew: a reflection of Elis’ angels, except with a blue background. Elis comes running into Hiroki’s arms and the two wish each other Merry Christmas. On her plane, Tomoko says goodbye to Elis and then takes some medicine. The stewardess finds Tomoko with her eyes closed. However, it seems that Tomoko eventually gets through her surgery just fine. Life at Nadesico Academy also continues on. And in Paris, the paintings that Elis and Hiroki drew have been put next to each other. Naked under a bed sheet, Hiroki and Elis link hands and kiss.

Holy crap, that just completely blew me away. I didn’t see any of that coming at all; I spent a good part of the episode going “No…they wouldn’t….” and “omgwtf is going on.” So Hiroki basically let Kiri go (or vice versa as the case may be) and ended up going with Elis. And there was the whole Tomoko dying thing that had me fearful for her life up until the very last shot in the credits. I think I’m still suffering the shock effects of the 180 degree turn that they pulled on us.
Overall, I’m very split over this episode. On one hand, I love it when a show can completely surprise me and can blow me away (the majority of SHUFFLE! come to mind). On the other hand, they’ve been working towards a Kiri ending for the entire series, but now they throw all that away and force an Elis ending. If the point of the past 23 episodes was to set us up and surprise us with this finale, then they definitely did their job. And I can’t help but feel bad for Kiri, who ends up being the loser, though the whirlwind of her giving Hiroki up came just a bit too fast and too easily. At least Elis – who has been angsting as much as, if not more than, Kiri the entire series – gets to have her happy ending.

Final Thoughts: If you had asked me last week, “roller coaster ride” would not have been how I would describe this series. And overall, Canvas2 is written so that it’s doesn’t have huge plot twists and wtf moments. From the beginning, it was clear that this art-themed series would be about Kiri and Elis vying for Hiroki. And then around halfway through, Elis kind of left the picture as a potential love candidate. If they had kept with the Kiri route, then I probably would have said something like “this series is a consistent romance story that builds up nicely to the end.” But with an ending like this…well, let’s just say that I have to now be very careful not to spoil things when I recommend this series to someone. And I definitely would recommend it, probably as one of the most surprising shows of the year.

March 26, 2006 at 3:11 pm
  • January 26, 2008 at 1:52 pmloplop

Still posts about this show almost 2 years now after it aired. I just watched the DVD version recently. The fact it has not been licensed for R1 is a shame.

I’ll still say it ended just right . . . .

• January 31, 2008 at 2:11 pmX

lol i rewatched this series since i just dled and watched canvas 1 which i thought was a prequel but actually completely different. I keep laughing at the ending, initially i was quite stunned, like the rest of us. Now the two went to paris and just kept doing each other and looking at paintings lol.

• April 30, 2008 at 11:17 amCrim

Isn’t the ending incest tho…since they’re blood related cousins

• May 6, 2008 at 2:43 amOnii-chan

It almost seems as if the writers planned the ending from the very beginning, despite what other people say. The first scene (not the dream) in the first episode and the last scene in the last episode both have Elis and Hiroki in bed together, after all…

• July 11, 2008 at 2:05 ampunkrose

I laughed really hard 2 when ever u said “Holy Crap.”
    That was my first reaction when I saw it 2! haha

I really started 2 like the series after a while (Elis annoyd me the entire series)but once I saw the last episode I was soooooooooooooo pissed!
    The first few episodes the show revolved around Kiri and Hiroki and her confession back in middle school. But during the entire show Hiroki didn’t really show that he was interested in Elis that way at all!!!!
    What made me more mad is that I didn’t ever like Elis in the first place.
    This series is so messed up. and I could of lived w/o seeing that scene of 2 blood relatives doing u know what. I’m sad 4 Kiri.

• July 26, 2008 at 8:27 ammaiku

what ??
    how ???
    the ending scene after the cast ..
    doesnt has any sence..
    how they did THAT !!!
    well.. maybe she moved his heart and make him to draw again
    in the past was kiri the one that motivates him,
    so…
    the person that makes hiroki draws is the one that is in his heart
    i can understand that
    BUT !!!!!!!!!!
    HOW THEY MANAGE TO MAKE…THAT!!!!
    HOW?? WHEN?? after she came back from her studies in france ??
    or after christmas with grandmas ..
    and how many things happend before they did THAT !!!!
    hiroki is a lolypedo-fin(from shuffle lol xD)
    im still shoked
    i really wanted that ending but..
    i cant acept it

• August 9, 2008 at 7:32 amAmake

Ok, so i watched the whole series on my own BEFORE reading this, after seeing the ending, i then go on google thingking “Wait that cant be right, youve just spent too much time on 4chan” and now that its been confirmed i go, “O___________________O EEEERRRRR” Wow, thats probably the biggest twist in an anime of any sort that ive ever seen, considering how tame this appeared to be not even School Days beats it.

• August 22, 2008 at 9:27 pm2gud2btru

I love this anime up until the last minute! How can they do that? I mean… HOW? WHY? OMG!!! I was just so disgusted… they just ruined the whole thing. I shouldn’t have watched it till the end.. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna have a nightmare tonight.

• September 3, 2008 at 6:35 amnyan-nyan

Bad end.

• September 4, 2008 at 1:13 pmIna

Holy crap!! I wanted this to happen from the 2nd episode, and I was SO scared that it wouldn’t!!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! It’s SO hard to find anime romances like this and chobits, your blog served as an excellent guide and I’ll definately read more to find what I like!

Elis x Hiroki… YAY!

• September 28, 2008 at 1:07 amxdotx

They are not blood-related. Though they are cousins (which is legal). Fragile Ellis need Hiroki more than the strong Kiri. Plus, I didn’t get the ending i wanted in Shuffle (was rooting for Kaede), so this is a good way to make up for that.

• October 25, 2008 at 10:52 amrei

@xdotx

Sorry but you’re wrong somewhere there,xdotx . Hiroki & Elis are blood-related. But it doesn’t mean that they can’t get marry. Since Hiroki & Elis have different family name, it’s most likely that Elis is Hiroki’s maternal cousin (cousin on the mother side), just like Yuuichi & Nayuki of Kanon.

And another thing is Elis is not the fragile one. She’s much stronger than Kiri that she was willing to go to France & let Hiroki be with Kiri. The fragile one is Hiroki, not Elis. Hiroki needs Elis because its her strength that motivate him to move towards his dream to become an artist.

• November 29, 2008 at 3:00 amL

Lol I remembered this series again, love the twisted ending! screwing elis in paris! Lmao! Of course the guy did good! He chose the LOLI! Plus she’s got a better set of goods than Kiri comparing them in the pics and in the game, elis is the best choice!

• April 5, 2009 at 3:31 amChu

“Though they are cousins (which is legal).”

That’s only a legal justification. In my opinion, from a moral point of view, there’s something just not quite right about getting attached in that sort of manner to a blood relative….

• April 6, 2009 at 1:45 pmLeon

Fu<K that moral view. The FACT is, people have been marrying their cousins for ages. If any of you can’t stand cousinxcousin relationship & going to be all yucky & whine about it, then STOP watching Japanese animes. And don’t even started talking about them getting deformed/retarded babies. That will NOT happen in the ‘ANIME’ world. Anime =/= reality, no matter how realistic the anime seems to be.

Damn you hiroki, choose hagino, dammit! D:

• April 14, 2009 at 4:34 amjm_XiV

i just finished the anime and it was really unexpected *shock-u*…hiroki x elis!!!wee! XDDD

as i watched the series, i thought hiroki will choose kiri….at that point, i ‘ve completely accepted their loveteam..but it was the other way around..wow, so much for anticipation and dramas, the twisted ending surprised me…

i’m happy that elis and hiroki end up together *yay!*..but i feel sad for kiri, though i thought they will be together in the end..she put so much effort just to be with hiroki..
    but i’m happy that hiroki realized what he really wanted to do and did have a change of heart in his career..at least he would not have any regrets, frustrations, blaming them to other people (hah, very MATURE..), and leaving his past by becoming what he thinks is best for his future…

hehehehe…

• April 25, 2009 at 11:37 pmzero

i dont like the ending..im realy disapointed..this suck

• June 25, 2009 at 9:46 amShiroyuki

HAHAHA! Take that, Kiri fags :D That’s what she gets for neglecting hiroki’s dream and chasing too much on love. Kiri was never a great character anyway and I’m glad she got dumped on Christmas. She should’ve punch Hiroki and tell him to be a man, swallow up his pride, pick up the brush and PAINT! But NO. Instead she’s spoiling him too much and trying to cut corners in winning his feeling by supporting him in becoming a teacher. And becoming a teacher is not what Hiroki really wants. He’s just running away from his problem. Kiri was too dumb to understand what hiroki really needs.

As for the ending, I don’t care much about it as long as it’s not that boring Kiri that got chosen. I’m tired of weak character that got picked in the end just because she’s the childhood friend or acquaintance. Kiri is just way too overrated and too dull to be the winner. AND SHE’S SUCKS! :P

• November 20, 2009 at 10:27 amRobitaille

• December 6, 2009 at 7:33 pmkeytosky

Saw the Chinese Version.

If in the last episode,if Hiroki say
    he love Saginomiya Saya,the acting superintendent at Nadesico Academy, (or any other girl in the anime)

Everyone will know what the “Holy Crap” Feeling is.

At least should make until episode 26, 2 more for love development.
    Might as well show first episode showing Hiroki&Elis getting married

• December 16, 2009 at 4:02 pmmonster6123

just finished watching this and I really have to say it was all around awesome, right up there with strawberry panic! =p

its amazing that i find shows from a few years ago better than newer stuff coming out, not that I don’t like them but they don’t have the same impact.

also, any recommendations on what i should watch next? I’m trying to find more shows like this but I’m open to most anything =p

• July 6, 2010 at 8:11 amloplop

Just rewatched the series again, and I still say it’s a shame it hasn’t been R1 licensed. Glad I bought the R2 disks a couple of years back. I wonder if Canvas 3 now will get a anime . . .

• January 4, 2011 at 4:26 pmSis Just Got Real

Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Ecchi Wake ga Nai!

• January 5, 2011 at 1:47 pmMonkeyBrains

Thinking about watching this again but stopping at episode 23 or something. Still don’t like the cousin x cousin part. It’s still blood relation. Just one level removed from brother x sister. But it is legal in Japan and quite popular in animes. Even if it has an increased chance of creating birth defects…

I think keytosky summarized it well up there last year. If Hiroki in the last episode said he liked person “X” like Saginomiya Saya, everyone would know the holy crap feeling. But I guess in the ending, the story wasn’t about Hiroki, it was about Elis, and she needed her happy ending. Even if Hiroki never showed such a strong interest till the last moment.

Oh well! At least someone translated the game in English so everyone can pick whatever they want.

• « Older Comments