Lucky Star – 04
Lucky Star Episode 4: A Problem of Willingness
Some people are just experts at “trying.” You know, those people that are in 20 clubs and president of half of them, saves baby seals on the weekends, reads novels in their spare time, writes letters to overseas friends, and plays three instruments and speaks four languages. All while maintaining straight A’s, with that tragedy of an A- in AP Rocket Science (immediately grounded for two weeks with no allowance).
For the rest of us, it’s more of an “I could do it if I tried…” but our time is obviously better spent on things like Lucky Star. Which makes sense that Konata is the main character, and not ubermensch Miyuki. So what does Konata teach us about life in this episode?
- Don’t blow all your sick days on party raids. Something similar to the kid who thought it was funny to shout “wolf” in a herd of sheep, here we have Konata reeling from the consequences of ditching real life for the virtual.
- That whole “Golden Rule” thing is crap. The one about treating others as you would want to be treated – in Konata’s case, that meant some precisely selected cosplay articles for Kagami and Tsukasa – good laughs for us, bad vibes for the receiving end.
- When one speaks of summer, I think of all the classes and homework I won’t be doing – not true of Konata, where she looks forward to all the great things she’ll be getting into, namely Comiket…
- Girls without huge racks worry not – flatness is back in style!
- Cats without a body can be considered cute too…??? Looks more like an onigiri with a tail to me. What’s with these 4-koma mascots anyways? The Azumanga “otou-san” was the only one that kinda made sense…well, no, not really.
- Ever get the urge to clean the night before a test, when you’re supposed to be cramming? My room sparkles during exam weeks – seems like Konata’s and Tsukasa’s do as well! I mean, I could start studying whenever I want, I just have to start – easy, right? Oh, hey, it’s 9 pm, time to watch Desperate Housewives.
- Three hour naps at 2 am don’t exist.
- Speaking of which, LOL FANG-SENSEI has had plenty of screen time, how about the quivering police woman and the my-pace Miyuki mom? How about all those other girls in the OP?
- Galaxy Angel-rune is awesome. Someone should finish subbing it.
Lucky Channel: Segment 4 – Akira dons the summer seifuku, but while the temperature might be rising, her heart is at an all-time cold. Poor Taniguchi. One of the postcards asks Akira to try out Kagami’s twin-tail hairstyle – will we see it next week? As long as the rest of the episode is more exciting than the wait itself, I’ll be alright with anything!
The major news this week in KyoAni is the replacement of the director of episodes 1-4 (Haruhi director) with the guy who directed FMP. Whether this bodes well for Lucky Star, it’s hard to say – the pace established in the first four episodes was quite consistent, and while it’s been quite entertaining, the general response, at least here in the English anime blogging community, has been less than overwhelming. Perhaps this shakeup will inject some more life into a show that should be brimming with vitality, but has so far been merely affable. True, the FMP team has plenty of experience animating twins, though I doubt the prospect of Xia Tsu Lan in a china dress spin-kicking Major Konatao through a door, or Koname Chizumi slapping uh… Sagaraguchi on the head with her harisen. Sleepy Captain Miyuki Miyuyossa walking around in her underwear and grinding all over some unsuspecting guy has some serious potential, though.