School Days – 03 »« School Days – 01

School Days – 02

OP Sequence

School Days   OP   01 School Days   OP   02 School Days   OP   03
School Days   OP   04 School Days   OP   05 School Days   OP   06

OP: 「イノセントブルー」 (Innocent Blue) by DeviceHigh
Watch the OP! Mirror 1, Mirror 2
I like the way the opening song starts out and the first few lines of lyrics (reminds me of something I can’t quite put my finger on), but the rest of the song wasn’t that great. The OP also seems to suggest that there’ll be plenty of fanservice, and it made me wonder if this counts as nudity or not (in terms of censoring). There was also a new ending this week, 「愛のカケラ」 (Ai no Kakera) by Hashimoto Miyuki, but I didn’t bother capping it since it was virtually the same ending animation sequence as last week. I did like this song a lot more than CooRie’s ED though, and I wonder if there’s gonna be a new ending song for every episode.

School Days   02   01 School Days   02   02 School Days   02   03
School Days   02   04 School Days   02   05 School Days   02   06
School Days   02   07 School Days   02   08 School Days   02   09
School Days   02   10 School Days   02   11 School Days   02   12
School Days   02   13 School Days   02   14 School Days   02   15
School Days   02   16 School Days   02   17 School Days   02   18
School Days   02   19 School Days   02   20 School Days   02   21
School Days   02   22 School Days   02   23 School Days   02   24

Summary:

As Kotonoha arrives for a date with Makoto, she catches him reading an instructional manual on love. Makoto takes her to several places around town, but with each place they go to, he doesn’t pay enough attention to her: he’s reading erotic magazines at the bookstore, getting too involved with games at the arcade, and gets a plate full of cake while Kotonoha is still reading the menu at a cafe. He even tries to kiss Kotonoha when it’s time to go home, but the doors to the train close on him before he can. At school the next day, Sekai yells at Makoto for being an idiot for leaving Kotonoha behind in whatever he did. As for the kiss between them from before, she claims that it was like a greeting and that they’re only friends. She then presents him with movie theater tickets so that he can take Kotonoha on another date, and she suggests that if things go well, he’ll get a kiss. There are three films playing when Makoto and Kotonoha arrive at the theater, including a zombie movie and a love story. Kotonoha actually wants to see the zombie movie, but Makoto assumes that she wants to see the love story, so that’s what they go to.

As she watches the film, Kotonoha notes that the three characters in the story are like herself, Makoto, and Sekai. Makoto, however, feels that she’s cuter than the character she’s comparing herself to, and the love scene in the movie gets him thinking about a kiss again. Remembering what Sekai had said about Kotonoha only being embarrassed and how she’s waiting for him to make a move, Makoto grabs her hand and tries to kiss her. This earns him a slap, and the rest of the date thus becomes awkward. When Makoto later tries to explain how Sekai had been the one who gave him the tickets, Kotonoha comments on how well Makoto and Sekai get along, which Makoto attributes to her sitting next to him in class. On the way back home, Kotonoha apologizes shortly before running off the train at her stop.

The following day, Makoto doesn’t understand why things happened that way since he did what Sekai said, so Sekai calls him an idiot once more. She says it again when she finds out that he’s been using an instructional manual on love, and she advises him to apologize and make up with Kotonoha. After class, Makoto catches Kotonoha and tries to make up with her, saying that he wants to know her better. She runs off to her committee meeting without replying to him, so he yells that he’ll be waiting for her at the train station. Later that evening, as Kotonoha is leaving school after finishing with her activities, she runs into Sekai who points out that she’s going the wrong direction to go to the train station. Kotonoha claims that she feels like taking the bus today, but Sekai knows that the reason is because Makoto is waiting at the train station. Sekai thinks that Makoto will wait there for a long time because he’s an idiot, which causes Kotonoha to tell her not to call him an idiot. Kotonoha feels that Makoto is just a little too aggressive, and seeing Kotonoha act like this, Sekai smiles and suggests that it’s because they’re both idiots.

Kotonoha then admits to being afraid of guys and recalls how she had been teased and bullied for her figure. Though that has nothing to do directly with Makoto, Kotonoha still feels uneasy. Because of this, Sekai reveals how Makoto wants to treasure Kotonoha, but she thinks that unrequited feelings like those won’t always continue. She questions if Kotonoha has considered how Makoto’s feels and suggests that boyfriends and girlfriends share their feelings. Sekai also thinks that Makoto has been controlling himself given how ecchi his thoughts usually are, and she uses the chance to grab and massage Kotonoha’s breasts. Afterwards, Kotonoha surprises Sekai by bringing up how well Sekai understands Makoto and saying that she’s envious. Like Makoto, Sekai claims that it’s because they sit next to each other in class, so they spend a lot of time together. Kotonoha does eventually head to the train station and finds Makoto still waiting there for her. After he swears not to do anything more that she hates, Kotonoha apologizes and declares that she wants to come to understand him better. Saying that she’ll do her best, Kotonoha proceeds to kiss him.

Well if I didn’t hate Makoto after last week’s episode, I certainly hate him now. The guy does some of the stupidest things on his dates with Kotonoha, and I’m starting to understand why he’s considered “< a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_Days_%28game%29" target="_blank">one of the most pathetic adult game protagonists ever.” Heck, I was cheering for him to get slapped for how idiotically aggressive he was acting, and thankfully he did eventually get it. I said last week that I had been rooting for Sekai, and although I still am, I don’t think Makoto deserves how much she does for him. If it wasn’t for Sekai, Makoto and Kotonoha wouldn’t even be having a relationship. Still, it might be too early to completely condemn the guy, but he’s certainly not doing himself any favors right now. Hopefully next week’s episode will be less frustrating to watch and will begin focusing more on the conflicting feelings of the two girls since it seems pretty clear that Sekai likes Makoto too.

July 10, 2007 at 6:01 pm
  • July 10, 2007 at 6:17 pmKKensei

New ED by Hashimoto Miyuki!! And me like it!!

• July 10, 2007 at 6:17 pmAloneinVoid

• July 10, 2007 at 6:23 pmdmo

no real girl would’ve given a guy like that another chance…

• July 10, 2007 at 6:32 pmlulu

haha well the way makoto acted in the date scene here could be a very accurate adaptation or a wayyyy exaggerated one depending on the choices you made during the date scene ingame. he is definitely capable of being very annoying, IF you want him to be. ;)

that said, i dont know if this was only a mistake on the production staff’s part or if they’re actually TRYING to get viewers to hate makoto… if its the latter than i wouldnt get my hopes up for one of the happy ends.

• July 10, 2007 at 6:40 pmMax

• July 10, 2007 at 6:47 pmDeadlyrain

Summary:

• July 10, 2007 at 6:47 pmUnholyCrap

UNHOLY CRAP, DID I JUST SAW NIPPLES?!! CAUSE I SAW NIPPLES, DID ANYONE ELSE SEE NIPPLES!? CAUSE I KNOW I SAW NIPPLES.

P.S. Bloggers are hentai, just look at which parts of the op they screenied. For shame…

P.S.S. I like boobies.

• July 10, 2007 at 7:04 pmdward

Lol! That guy’s an idiot. What is he trying to do on their first date!? Lucky this is an anime, or he’ll most probably get ditched the moment he did that.

• July 10, 2007 at 7:11 pmlulu

to Deadlyrain:
    it wasnt a horror movie they watched… kotonoha wanted to watch a horror but makoto probably misunderstood and took her to watch a romance drama instead.

• July 10, 2007 at 7:30 pmDeadlyrain

@Lulu: Your right. I should have watched that episode with more care instead of playing solitare instead. XD
    Atleast we see Sekai aired in this episode, where she tells Kotonoha to think about how Makoto feels. Otherwise besides that & her giving him those tickets she didn’t play a big role

• July 10, 2007 at 7:34 pmBROOKLYN otaku

when does the bloody stuff happen, when does the bloody stuff happen ,WHEN DOES THE BLOODY STUFF HAPPEN!!!!!! whats that?. . . oh. .at the end you say? how many episodes is this series? that many huh? hmmmmmmmmmmmm oh well

• July 10, 2007 at 7:39 pmDeadlyrain

I’d also like to correct how I said, he kisses her. In fact Kotonoha kisses him.

• July 10, 2007 at 8:09 pmchris

somehow this show reminds me of kimi ga nozomu eien

• July 10, 2007 at 8:15 pmmikemil828

Less fanservice, more killing

• July 10, 2007 at 8:28 pmDeadlyrain

I still don’t understand where the thought that this series will turn to such a horrific extent as everyone else says, comes from.

• July 10, 2007 at 8:33 pmanimeaddict

Deadlyrain: Show Spoiler ▼

• July 10, 2007 at 8:40 pmDarklord

@AloneinVoid: “makes you wonder on why all males are portrayed as pitiful lame bastards in these kind of shows….”

I keep wondering the same thing. I mean, seriously, no man can be that pathetic in real life. That’s why I do not watch such shows as a rule. If you are wondering what am I doing then, checking out this blog post…well…I don’t know myself. Perhaps it is some subconscious masochistic desire on my part…why knows.

And anyway, why do you guys(I am asking just the men) like watching such shows, which make men seem like pathetic losers? I just don’t get it.

• July 10, 2007 at 8:42 pmSh1Fty

u can download the hentai of the game at isohunt

• July 10, 2007 at 8:50 pmSom1

@ Darklord
    Cuz its hilarious the patheticness some anime guys :D

• July 10, 2007 at 8:53 pmDeadlyrain

@animeaddict: Yeah I know, there are three bad endings, one where Makoto dies due to Seikai, and the other two with Kotonoha either killing herself or Sekai. I doubt that will happen though…

• July 10, 2007 at 9:18 pmbanzemanga

Well, i wonder how are they going to do the part where they Sekai and Makoto are having sex and Kotonoha painfully witnessing them.

• July 10, 2007 at 9:26 pmklazyguy

Egh. Give me one round and an awp. I’ll make quick work of him and Kotonoha/Sekai won’t have to get their hands dirty.

• July 10, 2007 at 9:44 pmRemy

@Darklord: I personally don’t enjoy watching these type of shows. And, now thanks to blogs and anime forums, I can easily avoid them. All the male char. are constantly pathetic losers and have no actual sense of reality at all in these shows. What pisses me off even more is that they constantly whine and cry through the entire season, then they get three seconds of heroism in the last episode and, suddenly, we’re expected to forgive their past idiocy and accept the fact that the girls really do love him for what he is: a completely undependable, still sucking on mommy’s tits, coward.

Also, I’ve grown to actually have a strong dislike towards anime with high school center characters and themes. I don’t really know what the world’s fascination in thinking that life ends and begins in high school, but it’s a total sham. All my real bumps and rides down the lane of love happened to me after high school in college. All my crazy adventures with my friends (the ones that are worth being turned into a late night sitcom show), happened to me after high school. Hell, I’ve actually dated MORE high school girls after high school than I did while I was in high school.

• July 10, 2007 at 9:46 pmUnholyCrap

I demand fanservice first, then emo suicide later.

• July 10, 2007 at 11:07 pmasian182

if that idiot keeps this up he will either die or get one of the girls killed either way hes screwed for life

• July 10, 2007 at 11:15 pmAle

I really don’t think I could’ve described the 95% of the harem leads any better.

• July 10, 2007 at 11:42 pmcbhl

Maybe the reason that these kinds of shows have those kinds of stereotypical male leads is that *most* successful males probably don’t start drawing anime/manga once they’re in a successful relationship. I could be wrong though… I have no numbers to back up my speculation.

Alternatively, maybe they’re trying to connect with the audience that buys this sort of content… >.> Although I hate to think what kind of (mental, physical, emotional) state that audience is supposed to be in.

Another theory is that someone out there has developed a “guys are stupid” prejudice/stereotype/illusion/whatever and people are simply using that to develop their characters. (I have yet to hear a girl say that guys in general are “intelligent”.)

I more wonder why girls (if any) watch this sort of show — in my opinion, loyalty should only be given by girls to those who deserve it… whereas guys need to be more loyal in general. (However, cultural differences need to be accounted for within that statement.) Where is the entertainment aspect? Is it the hyperbole (extreme exaggeration)?

I thought the first episode was worth a passing glance, at least. I’m not so sure about this second one, though… and since I’m squeamish, I don’t want to stick around if we are headed into a bad end.

• July 10, 2007 at 11:44 pmcbhl

Amendment to last post: As a closing thought — just because I am a coward doesn’t mean I want to see somebody animating a coward becoming “successful”. If others do, then by all means… although I will still always wonder about shows like this. I think the characters’ appearances are quite nice, but the story… leaves me speechless (and not in a good way).

• July 10, 2007 at 11:54 pmTimoshi Huang

“I personally don’t enjoy watching these type of shows. And, now thanks to blogs and anime forums, I can easily avoid them. All the male char. are constantly pathetic losers and have no actual sense of reality at all in these shows. What pisses me off even more is that they constantly whine and cry through the entire season, then they get three seconds of heroism in the last episode and, suddenly, we’re expected to forgive their past idiocy and accept the fact that the girls really do love him for what he is: a completely undependable, still sucking on mommy’s tits, coward.”

hahah so funny m(-_____-)m

• July 11, 2007 at 1:01 amTolitz

Two words: target audience

It seems to be a working formula, coz harem shows still get a following. I’m sure they didn’t make these shows with YOU in mind. Truth to say, you’re part of a minority, and you ain’t even Japanese ;)

This formula sucks, to me as a westerner anyway, but it provokes a reaction. If sucky shows didn’t exist, how can we tell the really good ones apart? Would be boring to watch several shows with the dramatic/intellectual/thought-provoking quality of, say, code geass, gurenn lagann, etc… It’s because of shows like the ones being blogged by several people that we recognize the gems.

On the other hand, it’s a matter of taste. There are GOOD harem shows, even ones with pathetic male leads. KimiNozo, for example, has one of the worst male leads in anime history but yet it is part of most people’s top 10 greatest anime lists…

I’ve been waiting for this show to become an anime coz it seemed to have an interesting twist, so I am sticking with this one until it finishes :)

- T

• July 11, 2007 at 1:06 amTolitz

As for most harem shows being based on high school times, can I get an opinion from someone who GREW UP in Japan on whether their most memorable moments were in high school, college, or beyond? Coz I keep getting opinions from westerners who know almost nothing about life in Japan, and it’s really getting a bit annoying :)

I grew up in Asia, and high school was the most memorable time for me, as it shaped how I am now… Again, it’s target audience… and I am sure the ones who created the game/anime were thinking about us gaijin when they plotted it – the same way I know that most of our “teen comedies” are as unfunny to them…

- T

• July 11, 2007 at 3:15 amshh227

We want Blood! We want Blood!

• July 11, 2007 at 4:58 amsetsuke

Looks like they’re going for Kotonoha route but i never actually opened all the ending so i don’t know whether one Sekai’s good ending is in this route or not. Any idea? All i know is Otome’s ending is in thereand one of the bloody ending is in too.

• July 11, 2007 at 11:17 amRemy

Actually, I am Japanese (well, 1/2, but Korean is just as good), though I did grow up in the States. I’m currently living in Japan at the moment (Okinawa, just a stone throw, a skip, and a bus ride to Camp Foster) and I’m an english tutor at a local school. I may not have grown up Japanese and I may be an ignorant foreigner judging another country’s culture, but I believe I’ve been exposed to it enough to make a dependable opinion. And who says that high school isn’t a memorable time in any one of our lives. I loved my high school days and sometimes wish I can go back to them. My case was this: Life goes on after high school and gets even more interesting, if you choose not to limit your own life experiences.

And no, it’s not because it’s targeted for an ‘Asian’ or Japanese audience, it’s targeted for the mass Otaku fanbase. Many of them are nearly just as pathetic as their harem anime male counterparts, if not more so. I enjoy taking my girlfriends through the Hentai Manga section at a local book store just to watch these losers scurry about like roaches when you turn the lights on at night and drop whatever H-book they were drooling over. So agreeably, yes, it is for a target audience. However, what gets to me is the the message I seem to pick up from many of these anime that is sent out to the Otaku guys and the many children who watches it. Mainly, it tells them: Males of the world, you can be weak, insecure, hesitant, unchanging, cowardly, undependable, let the world run right over you, and women will still flock to your side in packs.

I do agree that not all harem anime/manga are horrible. For instance, I love Love Hina and Mahou Sensei Negima. But there’s one HUGE difference that I believe both Negi and Keitaro possessed that makes them stand out from many of the rest: They were willing to change themselves or better themselves for their own sake, so that those they care for can depend/rely on them. The Keitaro at the end of Love Hina is completely different from the Keitaro at the beginning of Love Hina. Keitaro didn’t possessed the semi-bishie looks that’re handed to many harem male, but I can see why girls would actually be attracted to him towards the latter half of the series. The current Negi has obviously grown and mature since he was first introduced at the beginning of the series. With most other harem males, there is no character development at all. It’s the same loser at the beginning and the same one standing at the end, being glorified as god’s gift to women.

• July 11, 2007 at 11:56 amarigatou

Well from my point of view, School Days would show to the viewers how pathetic Makoto is… Maybe later on it would be changed the most hated protagonist character ever… Pity that the heroines would suffer because of him.

• July 11, 2007 at 3:13 pmEmperor

anime like these show how really pathetic guys are :)

• July 11, 2007 at 4:38 pmthenightsshadow

@ Darklord:
    You’d be surprised.
    “No guy could make that many mistakes?”

Uh…then you need to hang around me and my acquaintances.
    If that doesn’t convince you the guys are screwed…well, you’ve been too hooked by School/Summer Days.

• July 11, 2007 at 4:47 pmthenightsshadow

@ Omni:
    “I like the way the opening song starts out and the first few lines of lyrics (reminds me of something I can’t quite put my finger on), but the rest of the song wasn’t that great.”

KimiNozo.
    The undertonal frequency in direct relation is almost exactly the same. XD

In other words, the tonation is one that can hold as much emotion as KimiNozo’s OP can.
    That’s probably it.

• July 11, 2007 at 8:07 pmGP

Everyone keeps talking about the 3 bad endings, but you’re forgetting that the good endings heavilly outweight the bad ones. It’s got something like 10-15 or maybe more Good endings. And the majority of the good endings are between him and Kotonoha. If they take it to the max then maybe we’ll get one of the bad endings. But at this point I think it’ll still have one of the good ones. Just going with the #s at this point.

• July 11, 2007 at 8:37 pmKenny

Where can i get the HCG for this show??

• July 12, 2007 at 5:27 amyo

I hope in the end i’ll see good ending coz i’ve a lot bad ending when i play this game.

• July 12, 2007 at 9:56 amSom1

• July 13, 2007 at 1:38 amChan

When I played the game, I did everything I could to focus only on Kotonoha- And the idiot still almost blows it at the end. Apparently, the game tries to *ship* Makoto with Sekai- It’s very, very difficult to get a ‘wholesome’ ending for Kotonoha. He’s too much of a f$%#%ing wuss to be worth playing…

• July 13, 2007 at 2:41 amTaiyaki

I really shouldn’t have read up on this on wiki. I either hate or feel very sorry for a character. I hope Makoto and Daisuke die, really. I wouldn’t even mind if they die a really gruesome and painful death.

• July 13, 2007 at 4:57 amHagiri

Watching school days makes me want to play it again and get a good ending…
    Watching how the show goes at the moment is like playing the game and choosing all of the wrong choices…

• July 13, 2007 at 5:01 pmMakoto Must Die

>>”Anyways, most of the bad ending cant bo shown because A, too violent, and B, the action leading up to the bad endings are not proper to be shown to this anime.”

If they’re willing to show nipples in the OP, then they’re probably willing to show sex and blood. Assuming that, I’d like to see the Makoto stabby ending or the Kotonoha slicey ending. Both are good ways to knock some sense into Makoto, who really does seem like the worst protagonist that harem anime has to offer. Plus, watching someone as shy and moe as Kotonoha become psychotic would certainly be entertaining.

Also, Yuuichi from Kanon is probably the best of the harem anime protagonists, when you consider how he interacted and cared for each of the harem girls. I would have preferred a Nayuki ending instead, though.

• July 13, 2007 at 5:36 pmlulu

to everybody wondering why most of us are so sure its gonna be a bad end:

like Hagiri mentioned, the way makoto acted in this ep is like choosing the all the wrong choices in the game.
    and what do you get when you make choices in a game? bad ends :P

there are plenty of cases in the game in which makoto is a lot more likable, but the staff chose to animate the bad choices instead. so they’re purposely trying to make the viewers get used to looking down on makoto, that way there’ll be a more positive response when sekai goes all stabby on him XD.
    whereas if they were going for a good end, they would be trying to make makoto as likable as possible so that people would actually want him to have a good end.

• July 14, 2007 at 3:48 amadrian

2) why does Kotonoha have an interest in him?

4) when are the girls going to start killing each other?

• July 15, 2007 at 12:17 pmRemy

“1) why does Sekai have an interest in the male protagonist (he doesn’t deserve to be named)?”

She’s crazy…case in point with the bad endings.

“2) why does Kotonoha have an interest in him?”

C’mon, she’s a physically weak and attention starved high school girl, who doesn’t seem to have very many friends. Have you ever flirt with a fat chick at a party? They’re an easy laid because they’re starve for any kind of attention!

“3) if Sekia developed a crush on that male character, why did she bring Kotonoha and Sekai together?”

She’s crazy, remember. Go stabby, stabby! Remember? She’s a psycho, that’s why she did it.

“4) when are the girls going to start killing each other? ”

Soon…very soon.

• July 15, 2007 at 1:51 pmsento

Yes, we can start hating Makoto by this episode! XD

• July 15, 2007 at 8:33 pmEuna

what an idiotic pig! he doesn’t deserve katsura or sekai..or any girl at that! but i’ll keep watching to see where stupid makoto takes the series to. *hope he gets DUMPED

• July 16, 2007 at 1:30 amWererat42

Any ideas on how long this will be?

I’d have to say that Makoto made just about every mistake a guy can make on a date. But so far you could still chalk it up to him being dumb and inexperienced. So until he starts acting like an indecisive loser I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, as I haven’t played the game. He did chose the romance flick instead of the horror one (Yuicchi failed that one, I’m afraid) though he gets an F for conduct all around.

Depending on how long the show is I can see Makoto letting himself get bounced around between Sekai and Kotonoha… hopefully the other girls will stay out of the equation or else it will further complicate matters, but I think the series is being promoted as a love triangle and not a harem, so there shouldn’t be much danger there.

As it stands now the ending could go either way, though my bet is he’ll come around to Sekai in the end.

• July 16, 2007 at 6:32 pmLifeCarrier

I was expecting Sekai and Itou to become weird about the kiss, but it seems he believed that friends story >.>

I think it’d been more interesting if he had realized Sekai’s feelings then, and went into having a hard time figuring which girl he really liked while dating Katsura, in front of a “watching closely in pain” Saionji which he has this tension with every time they run into, as they pretend to be normal around each other, aware of what’s happened between them, but I guess that’s what the rest of the series is for, it’s just that, after having kissed him so early on, it feels stupid of Sekai to keep cheering for him to grow closer to Katsura like she does…

Their inexperience about dating is really painful to watch XO

• July 18, 2007 at 12:11 pmAle

A good looking girl like her should’ve had guys approach her already.

It really makes no sense for her to pick the worst of the worst, lol. That’s just not how women work.

• July 22, 2007 at 11:47 pmSyaoran Li

Makoto is an idiot, that’s for sure and certain

Now the question here is; what will happen next? We have 12 episodes, ten more to go. If everything goes as planned, Makoto first will date Kotonoha, then with Sekai and finally have to take a decision of witch girl he really loves. Or maybe they can pick one of the bad ends of the game and… well, you know what happens.

And yeas, Makoto is and always will be an idiot.