Gurren Lagann – 22 »« Gurren Lagann – 20

Gurren Lagann   21   22 Gurren Lagann   21   23 Gurren Lagann   21   24
Gurren Lagann   21   25 Gurren Lagann   21   26 Gurren Lagann   21   27
Gurren Lagann   21   28 Gurren Lagann   21   29 Gurren Lagann   21   30
Gurren Lagann   21   31 Gurren Lagann   21   32 Gurren Lagann   21   33
Gurren Lagann   21   34 Gurren Lagann   21   35 Gurren Lagann   21   36
Gurren Lagann   21   37 Gurren Lagann   21   38 Gurren Lagann   21   39

Summary:

With Yoko pointing a gun at her, Nia tells them to give up and says that mankind has no future as she disappears through a portal. As for where Yoko’s been all this time, it seems that around one year ago, she had arrived at a peaceful island town as the new teacher. On her first day, she had encountered a boy named Nakimu who had been bullied by the other boys, but she had suggested that he get up on his own instead of being helped up. As a teacher, Yoko went by the name of Yomako and had looked forward to taking care of the first children born on the surface of the planet rather than under it. She was feared by her students for her deadly chalk throwing ability, but they also loved her as their teacher. During one particular history lesson concerning six years ago, Nakimu had recognized Yoko’s picture in the textbook, so she threw a piece of chalk to quiet him. One day, Nakimu found that some of the other kids had drawn a love picture of him and a girl named Maosha on the chalkboard, and he had quickly tried to erase it as Yoko came into the classroom. Later that afternoon, Nakimu discovered that someone had put his school bag at the top of the tall tree in the schoolyard. Nakimu was in tears because that bag was a keepsake from his father, but he had decided to get it back on his own and started climbing the tree.

Nakimu reached the top soon after Yoko arrived on the scene, but when he realized just how high up he was and started screaming, Yoko ripped up her skirt and leapt up the tree to save him. At the top, Nakimu revealed that he hated being on the island without his father, but he felt that the view from the top of the tree was pretty. Yoko then told him of how she had seen a similar view some time ago with a boy similar to him. She had made a lot of friends after that, and they had faced the future and did their best, though there were people who died too. Yoko felt that it was fine as long as Nakimu kept his memories of his father, and she got him to admit that he didn’t hate his classmates. In truth, all the kids were quite impressed with what Nakimu did, and they all gather around him after he comes down with Yoko. A little while later, Yoko is reading through some papers when the television turns on with the broadcast of Nia and Simon’s conversation about the humanity eradication system. Yoko had watched Rossiu’s speech with the rest of her class the next day, and soon after, they had gotten ready to evacuate.

It was during this time that Maosha’s parents had come running to Yoko because their daughter had disappeared. The other kids had figured out that Maosha was hiding out at the top of the nearby lighthouse, but before Yoko could head there, two Gunmen appeared from the sea and took Maosha hostage. The Gunmen were piloted by two wanted beastmen, and when they started destroying the school and toppled the tall tree, Yoko got angry. Returning to her room, she took off her normal clothes, put on her battle gear, and then arrived back on the scene on her bike to save Maosha. Declaring that she’s a teacher, Yoko proceeded to teach the two criminals about not destroying buildings, not taking children as hostages, and not threatening people with power, all while she made quick work of their Gunmen with several well placed rifle shots. Afterwards, Yoko had gotten a message from Rossiu asking her to get onboard the Arc-Gurren because he believed that she was a person who should survive. Yoko wasn’t too happy with this and decided to head to Kamina City, but before she left, she told her students that she was still their teacher Yomako and vowed that she’d recover the deep blue sky that they loved.

Yoko arrived in the city in the middle of the heated battle between the Gunmen forces led by Kittan and the Mugan, and Kittan had told her where Simon was, so that’s why she’s here at the prison freeing him now. She feels that it’s the Gurren-dan that can somehow manage to get them through this tough situation, and Simon agrees. Simon also frees Viral and tells him that they’re going to save everyone on the planet by stopping the moon. When Viral wonders if Simon is serious, Simon says that he’s always serious and feels that Viral should know who he is. After Viral calls Simon the big idiot of the Gurren-dan, the three leave the prison and are greeted by Kittan and the others. With all the members of the group gathered, including Boota, Reite presents them with the Gurren Lagann and a rocket to lift the others into space. Seeing the Gurren Lagann up close, Viral comments on how it’s stubborn, just like Simon, and to his surprise, Simon invites him to pilot it. Since Simon feels that the Gurren’s cockpit is a VIP seat for Viral to see the fate of humanity, Viral agrees to do it. The entire group then blasts off into space where the Arc-Gurren has met up with tons of Mugan, including two huge ones. At the moment when the Arc-Gurren’s spiral energy is decreasing because all of the people onboard are becoming uneasy, and at the moment when Rossiu is wondering if this is his limit, Simon suddenly tells him not to give up. He reminds Rossiu that his drill is that which pierces through the heavens, and he decides to gattai with Viral – the fated union that twists the two paths of humans and beastmen into one spiral path.

Gurren Lagann   21   Preview 01 Gurren Lagann   21   Preview 02 Gurren Lagann   21   Preview 03

I thought at first that this episode would be a little wasted in exploring Yoko’s past a year before current events and in interrupting the flow of the story, but it didn’t turn out to be like that since they really spared no expense making her look cool and kick ass. A lot of that might just be built-up excitement since Yoko has been absent from the series for so long, but it’s hard for me not to be excited because Yoko’s return also seems to mark the return of the Gurren-dan as it used to be – full of fighting spirit and epic-sounding speeches, as Simon and Viral demonstrated at the end of the episode. I just hope that this won’t be the only focus Yoko gets for the rest of the series, though it now seems all but guaranteed that we’ll at least see her returning to her students once this is all over.
As for Viral, him piloting the Gurren didn’t come as a huge surprise for me since he was probably the best candidate short of resurrecting Kamina. It feels like so long ago that I was thinking that Viral’s continued survival could make him the final boss, but when the bigger mutual enemy appeared, he logically became Simon’s ally. We’ll probably get to see next episode just how powerful the Gurren Lagann is now with both Viral and Simon instead of just Simon, and from the preview, it looks like they’ll be going after Nia. Rossiu also mentions the Arc-Gurren-Lagann in that preview, so it would appear that the Lagann will be joining with Arc-Gurren too.

August 18, 2007 at 9:42 pm
  • August 18, 2007 at 9:44 pmvietbunny

OMG!! i can’t wait. this episode looks kick ass!!!

• August 18, 2007 at 9:45 pmavex|mode

FTP!!! Kita kita kita

• August 18, 2007 at 9:45 pmAL

so dose Viral pilots Gurren?

• August 18, 2007 at 9:46 pmavex|mode

Ahh dang. Anyway Simon x Viral lolol

• August 18, 2007 at 9:46 pmOmni

Yes, Viral pilots the Gurren.

• August 18, 2007 at 9:48 pmcheesechan

Yay! have been waiting for this! :D SO Boota was in Yoko’s chest? I really like the simon and viral’s pairing in the battle.

• August 18, 2007 at 9:51 pmnomis

oh cool viral and simon combinede forces to fight the spirals in this episode

• August 18, 2007 at 9:52 pm…..

time to go spam for subs in 4chan

• August 18, 2007 at 9:53 pm.X a v i e r

OMFG, amazing i really want see this episode

• August 18, 2007 at 9:54 pmklazyguy

*Takes big glug of water* *Looks at teacher pic* *5 seconds to process* *Realization* *spits water all over screen*
    Yeah, that was how i reacted. Yoko sooo resembles a certain teacher from a certain anime. Dam, yoko is pretty hot as a teacher…what i wouldnt give to be in her class…XD

• August 18, 2007 at 9:55 pmnomis

oh correction the anti spiral they added a new weapon and may be they will show gurren laggantic and laganmongous

• August 18, 2007 at 10:01 pmMyssa Rei

Oh my. I won’t comment on Yoko, but it’s pretty obvious that Rossiu’s escape plan had the makings of a disaster: did he think that the Ha-Rasen would let a spiral knight ship escape so easily?

Still, with the Gurren back, and with Simon and Viral at the controls, mayhaps we’ll see the space battleship hinted at in the intro? Shades of Yamato and Harlock there…

• August 18, 2007 at 10:09 pmTokkan

Arc-Gurren Lagann in the preview man… but it’s blue in the OP, why is it gold in the preview?

• August 18, 2007 at 10:09 pmalex croft

next week is the arrival of ARK GURREN LAGANN!

• August 18, 2007 at 10:11 pmseeker4life

Simon:”you’re thinking what i am thinking?”
    Viral:”Yea… top or bottom?”

• August 18, 2007 at 10:11 pmann

• August 18, 2007 at 10:12 pmwhitey-chan

nice! Viral is now piloting the Gurren, at least Simon will not handle the battles all by himself anymore. and still, damn you Rossiu!!! bet he’ll now realize that his way of handling the situation is wrong. can’tw8 for the subs. :)

• August 18, 2007 at 10:45 pmHeiae

Bring on GARLOCK, I say!

I can’t wait to watch this episode. Simon and Viral piloting the Gurren Lagann? Eff-yeah.

• August 18, 2007 at 10:47 pmBeaglebites

Can’t Wait for this episode!
    I would drop those kids if they ever did that to me
    and Viral is becoming a good guy now… I saw that one coming but anyways
    I wish i had a teacher like that O.o I mean friend…*wink*

• August 18, 2007 at 10:48 pmdward

Yoko! Feels good to see her back! Glad that her ****** didn’t grow any bigger. Please tell me she’s not on Rossiu’s side.

• August 18, 2007 at 10:59 pmlinkinstreet

Somehow Yoko reminds me of Soryu Asuka…

• August 18, 2007 at 11:16 pmTokkan

• August 18, 2007 at 11:39 pmann

Please tell me she’s not on Rossiu’s side.

She’s on Simon’s side and Simon doesn’t hate Rossiu for what he did, so I’m guess in a way she could also support Rossiu… but she also saved Simon. Simon in the end had to bail out Rossiu. So, they are on the Gurren Lagann side… Rossiu lost.

• August 18, 2007 at 11:51 pmharuda

Holy crap, I think Viral and Simon fighting together is just about the most epic thing that’s happened since the timeskip!

• August 19, 2007 at 12:05 amededdeddy

even Simon and Viral hate each other but they have to work as the team

• August 19, 2007 at 12:40 amHiruma

Arc-Gurren-Lagann is blue in the OP because it hasn’t appeared yet, I expect. It’s like the black Gurren-Lagann in Episodes 1 and 2 and all of the GL upgrades in OP 2(which I expect the first to no longer be shadowed in the next episode)

• August 19, 2007 at 1:01 amSugoi

That part at the end of the episode was epic, Rossiu’s been dropped for Viral, and I cant wait for episode 23 for the next arc where Simon will be overflowing with GARness as see in ep 1, and I wonder what prevents them from stopping the Anti Spirals now in the first place, maybe Spiral Nemesis I guess………..

• August 19, 2007 at 1:06 amDEATH

This has to be my favorite episode now. Yoko kicked ass in this episode!

• August 19, 2007 at 2:36 amEx

• August 19, 2007 at 8:06 amBogus

MWAH !!! Simon & Viral team up is just pure win !!! Absolutely love it ! As expected, Yoko rocks, Simon is starting to look GAR and Viral is too sexy for his shirt. Still, I’m bit disappointed by the very short appearance of Evil Nia in this episode, I would have expected more talk but it really seems that she won’t have more than three words with anyone but the Spiral Nemesis. Next week will mark the rise of Gurren Lagann first power up (digimonisation yerk), and a direct confrontation (in the moon ?) with Evil (hum her eyes don’t seem to have this usual semi passive & agressive look so giving the fact she won’t die there -Come on we all know she won’t kick the bucket now- there’s definitively something’s up) Nia. And Mr & Mrs BigMugan bring some despair upon Dictator Rossiu.

• August 19, 2007 at 12:01 pmKalle

If Nia DOES kick the bucket I’ll be sad. Evil Nia was really cool for a while, but then her whole ‘blah blah end of all hope’ speeches became boring. I’ll be MORE than happy to get the good Nia back. :|

• August 19, 2007 at 2:11 pmnomis

would it be cool if all the gun man will unite with simon’s lagann to become big gurren lagann

• August 19, 2007 at 2:34 pmpp

viral & simon!! most powerful duo yet!! can’t wait to see them in action!!!

• August 19, 2007 at 2:45 pmpp

ps – yoko reminds me of misato fron EVA

• August 19, 2007 at 3:19 pmArakan7

The 28th screen cap is the BEST one. :D

• August 19, 2007 at 4:21 pmbanzemanga

Damn! Yoko is hotter than ever.
    And nooo! You are not going to hit Nina, are you Simon?

P.S. I am glad i watched this series. It seemed weird at the begining but it is a kick ass as it turned out.

• August 19, 2007 at 4:25 pmMaedhros

@Tokkan
    Gulaparl(I say Grapal), Mugann and Arc Gurren, so what?

• August 19, 2007 at 4:38 pmGP

Yeah, Simons gotta take Nia out! Save teh world. It’d be very very very corny if somehow right at the end, she just turns all happy and good like the old Nia and returns. That’s just something gainax shouldn’t and won’t do. What happens to Yoko after this isn’t known, but I beleave it’s been said that her VA was present for the recording of the last arc also. So I don’t see her just up and leaving again after this arc. And I sure as hell hope she doesn’t go anywhere. Now that it seems Nia will be gone, Yoko can play a bigger role yet again.

• August 19, 2007 at 7:49 pmNisutora

Yoko is one of the best female anime characters ever and this episode shows why!

I cant describe my excitement on that “Who do you think we are” scene with Simon and Viral. Finally the replacement for Kamina is here and he delivers.
    My only gripe is with Nia who seems to play a minor role and i can’t think of a way for Simon to get her out of this “messenger of evil” role except death.
    Maybe she will take control of herself and help them but my feeling is that Nia doesnt belong anymore to this show.

• August 19, 2007 at 8:51 pmTom

Ehhh, why is yoko wearing glasses?

• August 20, 2007 at 3:39 amGP

Just to hide herself more. She even changed her name a bit. She doesn’t want people to know she’s Yoko at that point. But now she’s back, w00t!

As for Nia, she’s lost guys. Any sorta last minute life saving stunt would be corny, and messup the whole show. The point of this arc is the tragic hero, and tragic heros can’t save everyone, or lose close important friends/family in the process. Who better, at this point, than Nia to fill up that role? This is also why many people think/say that lots of the other members will also die. But I don’t know.

• August 20, 2007 at 10:03 amtahizzy

ALRIGHT!!! SWEET!!! FUX YES!!! miiinnaa! This is for Kamina!!!!

• August 20, 2007 at 9:48 pmMegaman0

Wow Kamina was right Yoko really has some junk in the trunk…

• August 20, 2007 at 10:08 pmDarklord

“The two paths between human and beast, intertwine, to create the path of the spiral!”

“Piercing destiny as yesterday’s enemies, creating a new path towards the future with these hands”

“THE UNION OF FATE, GURREN-LAGANN!”

“WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK WE ARE!”

Best moment ever! This show is simply out of this world awesome!

• August 20, 2007 at 10:51 pmmona

私は、Yokoが次の話で死ぬと思います。
    Yoko:「帰って来たら、通信簿付けなきゃねー」
    I recalled Kamina by this dialog・・・・・・・・.

• August 20, 2007 at 11:41 pmpinoy78

This series will destroy the internets it’s THAT great.

Gainax really went all for Yoko’s return. NEXT WEEK will be unforgettable.

I LOVE that Simon and Viral are working together.

• August 21, 2007 at 12:32 amjaalin

best episode yet.

after watching it for the 2350933th time i still want to jump up and down and kick some ass!!!!!!!!!

• August 21, 2007 at 1:25 am?YUGIMATOMIC ANDROID FROM THE FIFTH PARALLEL UNIVERSE OF ZOLTRON BATTLE GALAXY VII

best show out there by far

• August 21, 2007 at 3:05 amKickHopper

Wow this episodes makes me so violent. I really want to go to someone I hate and yell “Who the hell do you think I am?!” and kick their silly ass.

• August 21, 2007 at 9:58 amlegno

so awesome to see viral doing a speech

it was the most expecting combo

• August 21, 2007 at 2:03 pmTourbillon

Ahem coughcough*Onegai Sensei*coughcough ahem.

• August 21, 2007 at 3:20 pmsemtex

Gurren Lagann > Code Geass

• August 21, 2007 at 6:06 pmBROOKLYN otaku

OOOoooooooooH!!! they’ve gotten bigger!! god bless you yoko

• August 21, 2007 at 8:10 pm8GaugeBrett

Everyone here is saying that Nia is a lost cause now, but I certainly hope not. I mean come on she has been around in this show for too long to just leave her as a completely one dimensional character before killing her off. Her death would have absolutely zero impact if you kill her off here as this robotic messenger. She needs to have some kind of redemption that re-endears her to the fans if you want to have an emotionally jarring death.

Personally I think killing Nia off would go against Simon’s trend of always saving what is most important to him after he lost Kamina. I just hope that should she survive that the writers have some way of doing it that makes it not dreadfully corny (and I do think they have plenty of options to do so).

• August 22, 2007 at 12:13 amNeara

This episode was nothing less but EPIC!
    Yoko is back (and how she’s back, dammit – her clothes changing scene alone is reason enough to watch this episode again and again), Simon and Viral are teaming up, the gurren dan reunites. All I hoped for came true, and the end of this episode really gave me shivers down my spine. I don’t care what happens from now on, I just know one thing: The awesomeness of this show can’t be described in words anymore.

• August 22, 2007 at 12:54 amsdliddo

oh god oh god oh god. I don’t care if the neighbors scream at me but that final bit DERSERVES a 7.1 full blown wallop from my speakers!!!! Mwahahahah god !!! EPIC EPIC EPIC I tell ya!!!
    As for nia.. id say she stays as an anti-spiral but is the only survivor of the bad guys. I think the only reason why she kept popping around bring ye ole message o doom thing is its the only part of her that truly is still human.
    Human enough to warn Simon.
    Ah. Love.
    Man…. i vote she keeps her super cool ninja outfit
    And god i hope there is a season 3 and a season 4.
    This anime truly is what GAINAX is all about!!!
    whoo-hoo!!!!!!!

• August 22, 2007 at 2:59 pmLauncelot

This anime had me glued to my tv since Episode 1. Never a dull moment and full of adrenaline-pumping moments in every turn.

I believe Nia could make it to the “Darth Vader” stunt with redemption at the very end – but that end would probably complicate Yoko’s possible comeback with Simon.

If I read her eye gestures correctly, Yoko reacted to Simon’s name on the history book – which could mean a lot. It’s either that she has feelings for Simon but couldn’t let it out when she wanted Nia to be happy as well or just a recognition that Simon was a dear old friend.

• August 22, 2007 at 4:35 pmCoffee

Really? I read it as her pausing over Kamina’s name…I thought since she’s reading out loud, she saw the name before she said it.

• August 22, 2007 at 8:51 pmBakazuki

This episode is SWEET! The last five minutes with Viral and Simon teaming up was definately the best. Above all, Viral got his helmet back!

What? Someone had to say it. XD

• August 23, 2007 at 2:20 amMi-Ki

Nope it was definatly Yoko pausing for Simon’s name and not Kamina.

• August 23, 2007 at 4:35 amlinnah-chan

I think Yoko’s a better fighter than a teacher.

@seeker4life
    LOL

• August 24, 2007 at 2:09 amEpicity

EPIC speeches FTW!

• October 12, 2007 at 10:06 amdude

Why oh why have you ruined the hotness that is pre-ts yoko? Post ts yoko has a chin to rival the Crimson Chin. :cry

• October 12, 2007 at 10:06 amdude

jlkuhlij

• February 14, 2008 at 3:56 pmrandom

For you fortunate souls who stumble upon this, a reward.
    High-res scans of the lovely (and official) Yoko art book.

• February 24, 2009 at 11:02 pmsalau

THIS IS QUITE EPIC

• December 14, 2010 at 2:11 amfrlrkr

i love rewards 3 years later!!