School Days – 09 »« School Days – 07

School Days   08   13 School Days   08   14 School Days   08   15
School Days   08   16 School Days   08   17 School Days   08   18
School Days   08   19 School Days   08   20 School Days   08   21
School Days   08   22 School Days   08   23 School Days   08   24
School Days   08   25 School Days   08   26 School Days   08   27
School Days   08   28 School Days   08   29 School Days   08   30

Summary:

Having gotten slapped, Sekai tells Setsuna what happened and how Makoto hadn’t broken up with Kotonoha. Seeing Sekai like this, Setsuna decides to go determine Makoto’s true feelings. The next day, Sekai doesn’t go to school and instead stays in bed remembering how, after the slap, Kotonoha had questioned why Sekai had done those things. In tears, Kotonoha had brought up how she thought Sekai was her friend, and she had then asked Sekai not to get close to Makoto because she’s his actual girlfriend. At school, Makoto briefly notices Sekai’s absence before being asked by Taisuke about not breaking up with Kotonoha, and later that afternoon, Kotonoha wants to go home with him. He at first agrees, but Setsuna insists that they have work to do and that it’ll take too long for Kotonoha to wait for him. When Makoto protests, Setsuna asks him if going home with Kotonoha is more important than their school festival work, and after Makoto doesn’t reply, Kotonoha backs off on her request and apologizes.

In the classroom afterwards, Makoto scolds Setsuna for being hard on Kotonoha, but she brings up how he’s supposed to be dating Sekai and how she heard that he hadn’t broken up with Kotonoha yet. Makoto thinks that this has nothing to do with Setsuna, but she claims that it does because she’s Sekai’s friend. She then directly asks him who he likes – Sekai or Kotonoha – and when pressed to answer, Makoto admits that he at first liked Kotonoha, but that he feels more comfortable with Sekai now. When he clarifies this to mean that he feels at ease with her, Setsuna takes it to mean that he’s chosen Sekai. With this, she decides that she’ll do their work by herself and sends him to Sekai’s apartment. Around when he thinks that he’d be there, Setsuna sends Sekai a message saying so, and Sekai finds Makoto standing at her door. After he sits down and she brings him some tea, Makoto asks Sekai why she stayed home from school, so she tells him that she wasn’t feeling well.

When Makoto brings up how he had heard something happened with Kotonoha, Sekai admits that she bumped into her on the way out of Makoto’s apartment building. She thinks that Kotonoha knows about them and reveals how Kotonoha had cried and claimed to be Makoto’s girlfriend. Sekai then asks Makoto what she should do and expresses how she feels that what they’re doing is no good. Makoto doesn’t share the same sentiments and surprises her by kissing her, but when he pushes her onto the floor, she pushes him back off because he spilled the tea. Later that night, Setsuna comes by to check on Sekai, but Sekai doesn’t directly respond to any of her questions which are trying to make sure everything is okay now. Instead, Sekai thinks about how an emotional Kotonoha had asked her to not get close to Makoto anymore and stares again at the cell phone message that Makoto had sent her a while back saying that he preferred her. The next morning, however, she arrives in back class acting cheerful as usual.

That afternoon, Makoto is surprised to see Kotonoha rush onto the train after him. She clings to his arm on the ride home and after noticing that she’s staring at her cleavage, she wonders if he wants to touch her breasts. Kotonoha suggests that she’d call him over the next time Kokoro isn’t around so that he can touch them, but first she wants him to promise to dance with her at the end of the festival. Since the temptation is too much for Makoto, he agrees. However, after getting off the train, he calls Sekai and goes over to her apartment. The following day is the school festival, and since the other classes are out in force in order to pull in customers, Setsuna pulls out more costumes. She also sends out the girls in maid costumes, and when one of the costumed guys trips on a banana peel, the entire group of zombies, little sisters, and costumed characters fall like dominoes. This damages all of the costumes, but Setsuna says that she’ll fix them by the following day. Hearing this causes Makoto to comment on how a strong Setsuna doesn’t rely on anyone, and everyone decides to help her.

To finish making repairs, Makoto and Setsuna go to pick up some materials, and he is tasked with pulling the heavy cart. Along the way, Setsuna reveals that she’s moving to France after the festival because of her mother’s transfer. The one thing she’s still worried about is Sekai, and she explains that in the past, whenever something bad happened, Sekai would shut herself in her room and cry all day. Setsuna’s been the one helping Sekai until now, but since she can’t be at Sekai’s side anymore, she wants Makoto to take her place. She then remembers back to the beginning of the school year and how Makoto had found her crying after she had gotten teased. He had offered to help her if she got messed with again, but Setsuna had said that she didn’t rely on anyone. Seeing the strength in her, Makoto had suggested that she become the class representative and promised to vote for her if she ran. Setsuna now tells Makoto how happy she was that he helped her back then, causing Makoto to recall how she had been teased for being small. He downplays his role and commends her on becoming the class representative, causing Setsuna to smile.

Later that night, after getting their work done, Setsuna notices Makoto has fallen asleep against the wall. Decided to do something for her own memories, Setsuna kneels down and kisses him, but she realizes immediately afterwards that Kotonoha is standing at their classroom doorway, shocked at what she just saw.

The knee-jerk reaction I initially had was that Setsuna was getting thrown into the mix, but it really doesn’t appear to be that way since Setsuna just wanted to make a memory before going to France. That doesn’t mean she doesn’t have feelings for him, however I think it’s pretty unlikely that she’ll compete for him like Sekai and Kotonoha have. The (probably) bigger implication is that Kotonoha saw her, and it’s going to be hard for Setsuna to explain this away considering how much she had tried to keep Makoto and Kotonoha apart.
Kotonoha, on the other hand, has already stooped to offering her body to get what she wants from Makoto, and I could see her perceiving this new threat as incentive to speed things along in order to keep him. For now though, there doesn’t seem to be anything but lust in Makoto’s feelings for her, so I still have my doubts that this will end well for Kotonoha. Actually, I really don’t know how this will end and could speculate all day, but we’ll have to wait and see. Next episode is about the kouyasai (after-festival event), and I hope the dance will be the source of more good drama.

August 21, 2007 at 3:23 pm
  • August 22, 2007 at 1:20 pmFX102

And the plot thickens. Kotonoha’s mind is already in tatters and things can only get worse. Although this episode does suggest that Makoto is only attracted to Kotonoha’s body, his inability to answer Setsuna clearly makes me feel that he himself is still undecided, but he just wants both at the moment. At least he’s acting a bit more human than in earlier episodes and the conversations with Setsuna were a nice break from the drama, even though what it eventually led to.

It turns out that Kotonoha’s class “lounge” was different than I had expected. My thoughts were that the girls were gonna trick her into wearing a revealing costume, and placing the lounge at the end of the haunted house, where she would be taunted, or even sexually assaulted, by male customers, and all video taped to humiliate her. In the end, they’re just running a miniature love hotel. Of course, if the teachers find out, its clear they are gonna pin the blame on Kotonoha, but then whats that camera for?

On a lighter note, I loved Colonol Setsuna’s moment, she sure is a natural born leader.

• August 22, 2007 at 1:36 pmSyaoran Li

I knew it! That bastard is only after Kotonoha for her body, nothing more…

How dare he? I know he said to Setsuna that he feels more comfortable with Sekai; still he’s lusting for Kotonoha and keeps seeing Sekai. Well, meanwhile Kotonoha doesn’t catch them; Makoto will be doing the same thing over and over again. That pisses my off very much.

Now Setsuna is in trouble. After all the trouble and pain that she caused to Kotonoha with her actions, she can’t escape from that situation easily. I guess this will increase Kotonoha’s wounds (emotion ones); and maybe the festival could be the final blow if Makoto and Sekai dance instead of Kotonoha.

I’ll have to wait then.

• August 22, 2007 at 1:46 pmLJkAze

Alot of people is on Sekai side more and never on Kotonoha side, i feel sorry for Kotonoha but i like Sekai better still. Anyways yes it end with Setsuna killing Makoto but that not the point, the real battle is between Sekai and Kotonoha

• August 22, 2007 at 1:47 pmLJkAze

man y do i keep writing killing, sorry kissing

• August 22, 2007 at 1:48 pmLJkAze

man why do I keep writing killing, sorry kissing ^_^

• August 22, 2007 at 2:33 pmRemy

I’m more on Kotonoha’s side. Though it does appear ‘low’ and desperate for her to offer her body to Makoto, I can overlook it because he is her boyfriend, officially. I’m not saying it’s right, but I’m saying that if she chooses to give her boyfriend her body, despite her reasons, she has the right to do so. Sekai, though she may not have meant to be mean, knew that what she was doing was wrong and selfish. She used the excuse as training to get what she wanted out of Makoto. It’s not as if she innocently thought, “I know, I’ll let you train with me so you can be happy with Kotonoha.” Sekai knew what she was doing, she knew that it was wrong, she knew she would be betraying a friend, and she continued. And this episode proved it, when Sekai chose to stay home and avoid school. It’s call guilt.

Sekai didn’t go to school because she’d be afraid of a fight. She was afraid to face Kotonoha, whom she knew she hurt, just so she could fulfill her own desires.

Morally, I have to side with Kotonoha here. In the long run of all this, she’s the victim here because I believe she is the one who the most in the right. Being stabbed in the back by someone she felt was a friend, being bullied by the girls, and her boyfriend (who is supposed to be her safe haven/emotional anchor in all this) is a loser, who is afraid of being hurt and left alone, so he drags her and three or four other girls down with him. No wonder she went crazy in one of the endings. My life wasn’t anywhere near that bad and there were times in high school that I was just a hair away from going on a killing spree.

• August 22, 2007 at 3:36 pmRyunatta

oh great now watch the producers put a;; ending innto play by getting all the girl involed one by one…

• August 22, 2007 at 4:09 pmAle

All that is definitely true, Remy. I agree with your post 100%.

By the way, what I want a “Makoto alone” ending. Oh how I would love that…

• August 22, 2007 at 5:01 pmrbg

I do agree with some of the comments that Makoto isn’t exactly realistic. I just think that he is more realistic than guys normally are in this genre of anime. I have actually known people who Makoto kinda reminds me off, but like some have said, his character is over exaggerated (but then, a lot of characters and situations are in anime and other TV shows).

And i think that makoto should end up alone as well. It would teach him not to play around with the girls feelings like he is. But from the way that the girls have been throwing themselves at him during this series (apparenly he’s a chick magnet), it seems like no matter how big an ass he is, who he screws over, who’s heart he breaks, that these girls will still fight over him. A shame really, but it is damn entertaining.

• August 22, 2007 at 5:02 pmChicle

“she’s staring at her cleavage”

umm, excuse me, but wut does this mean

• August 22, 2007 at 5:15 pmyue

I think it’s supposed to be “he is staring at her cleavage”.

• August 22, 2007 at 7:04 pmDarklord

@Syaoran Li: “I knew it! That bastard is only after Kotonoha for her body, nothing more…”

LOL, I think this was established a long time ago. He basically confused lust with love, so, yes, he only wants her body. Besides, Taisuke is the same – he also only wants her body.

And actually, after this episode, can you really blame Makoto for looking at her like that? She practically offered herself to him in a very direct way. I know I would have a very hard time resisting in such a situation, let alone a horny bastard like Makoto.

@Remy:

I have very little respect for girls who act like Kotonoha did this episode. I know many girls like that in real life(slutty, I mean) and they have broken up many healthy relationships. Yeah, I know the guys who fell for their charms are also at fault, but men, especially teenagers, are weak against sexy women’s advances.

It’s one thing being insecure about herself and her relationship, it completely different to act like a common whore. What she could have done is be more assertive with Makoto, try to spend more time with him and just become more open. She does not need to jump the gun so fast and give out everything she has to offer at once. Heck she is even stupid. If Makoto really only wants her for her body, then after he sleeps with her he is just going to discard her and get back to Sekai, so technically, she is making things worse.

I really liked how she acted in episodes 5 and 6 and I felt really bad for her then, so I think she should continue to act like that, instead of act like a slut. If it does not work, well, she should dump the bastard. Simple as that!

Also, her being Makoto’s “official” girlfriend is not really an excuse for her to act like a slut. I mean, if she was really her official girlfriend and felt that way, she would not need to stoop so low. The only reason she is doing it is because she knows she is not really Makoto’s girlfriend anymore. It would be normal for her to act like that if she did not know he cheated on her. I guess what I’m trying to say is she is not trying to seduce him because she is his official girlfriend and wants to advance her relationship to the next level, she is doing it because she wants to keep him.

So, yeah, I feel very strongly about those sorts of girls and whatever respect or sympathy I had for her is quickly fading away. I know she was forced to become like this, since she was treated like trash by pretty much everybody, but this is not an excuse for her to act like a slut.

People should stop blaming Makoto for everything. They say being horny is not an excuse for acting like a jerk and such, well, same goes for the girls. Whatever reasons they have to make the wrong choices is not really an excuse to make those choices.

• August 22, 2007 at 9:44 pmCheez

“What she could have done is be more assertive with Makoto, try to spend more time with him and just become more open.”

Uhh, I don’t think that would happen. Remember episodes 6? Kotonoha genuinely offered to spend more time and become more open, but Makoto still refused her, since he was infatuated with Sekai.

Even later on (episode 7), when he did feel some regret for ditching Kotonoha, Setsuna actively refused to let the two spend time together (usually through lame excuses), denying Makoto any chance to reconcile with Kotonoha.

Although many may call her a “whore” for her actions to get Makoto back, it was the circumstances that forced her to do so.

Concerning the solution:”Why doesn’t she just break up with Makoto?”

Well, if people watched the series from the beginning, they would know Kotonoha has never had any friends (until she met Sekai and Makoto). Makoto’s love confession was a first to her, and she probably cherished it greatly (since he was one of her first friends and her first boyfriend). Simply “breaking up” and finding someone else (even if he was a nice person) would not ever be the same, and she probably knows this.

• August 22, 2007 at 10:23 pmDarklord

I know she tried to get closer to Makoto and spend more time with him, and it did not work out. That’s why I gave her a lot of credit for her behavior(eps. 5 and 6). After it did not work out she could have done one of several things:

1) Try Harder. If she really felt inside that Makoto is worth the effort, she should have fought harder for him. I know this sounds ridiculous concerning the situation, but it is the right thing to do.

2) Confront him. Ask him who he really loves and even dare him to choose between her and Sekai. Again, I know this is very hard for her, since she really does not want to be alone, but again, it is the right thing to do.

3) Dump him and move on. That’s what most girls with dignity would probably do. I know it’s hard to get rid of the only person who expressed interest in her, but hey – is it worth dating someone who is just interested in her body. As I said, what makes her think that he will keep her after giving him everything she has to offer. He’ll get bored of her pretty soon. Besides, for a girl with those looks I am sure that there will be plenty of guys in the future who will be interested in her.

So, I understand it was the circumstances that forced her to behave slutty and all, but that does not mean I have to forgive her. It’s not like you can say she did not have any choice and she had to resort to those measures. She had plenty of choices. She simply chose the easiest thing to do. I understand her, but I think what she did is clearly wrong!

• August 23, 2007 at 12:01 amQuina

what the hell are you talking about, the girls done nothing wrong.
    Whats wrong is the existence of the guy.

Everything will be fine again once he is eliminated. Hopefully thats happen soon.

• August 23, 2007 at 12:08 amshadowlancer

ok makoto must die. He just doesn’t have the good quality that at least some other harem series lead has.

• August 23, 2007 at 12:42 amDarklord

@Quina:

See, I agree that the guy is a scumbag, but saying like the girls have done nothing wrong is pretty far from the truth. Both of them have done some wrong things. I can’t accept seeing the guy blamed for everything when the girls are pretty messed-up as well. Also, I do not think killing the guy is the right way to resolve the situation.

@shadowdancer:

Well, he did not have any redeemable qualities until this episode. Even though it was revealed through a flashback, it shows that he has some good qualities after all.

• August 23, 2007 at 12:57 amRemy

Darklord: Slut? Since when is Kotonoha a slut? A slut is a girl who gives it up to just anyone, without caring about who they may be involved with. Same thing with a whore. Thus far, Kotonoha has only have one person she’d be willing to do that with: Makoto, her official boyfriend, even if she’s just hanging on by a hair. Just because someone wants to have sex (no matter what their reason – and in this case, she is insecure of herself in this relationship – which is the fault of Makoto), doesn’t label them a slut if they chose to do so with the person they’re involved with.

Sekai is a slut, in the actual dictionary term of it. She went after a guy who is already involved with someone else. I am not condoning Kotonoha’s action, because I believe the way she went about is wrong, however, I disagree with labeling her a slut. Especially when there are so many factors in the story placed against her to begin with.

Ask for your three step program…have you ever dated a girl in high school? I’m not just talking about while you’re in high school, I also mean after you’ve graduated. Many high school girls are incredibly easy to manipulate because they don’t have that confident view of themselves yet. A woman is expected to have a certain amount of dignity and confidence to see she’s in that kind of situation and make a mature decision to stay or leave. A young girl, who’s in her first relationship, is clueless. All she knows is that she’s getting some attention from the opposite sex, it makes her feel good about herself, and she doesn’t want to have the feeling go away.

The steps you’ve just prescribed works better for a guy, because we don’t need the emotional support of friends and family, as much a girls do. Hell, we guys don’t even require the support of a human being, we go hunting for days on end, with only a dog as a companion. When a guy gets upset or depressed, he’s more likely to withdraw to his ‘cave’ (for a lack of better words) until he finds a solution/it goes away on its own. When girls get upset or depressed, they need to express it and be comforted. They call friends and family members, people they know will give them emotional support.

Situations like that are harder for a women. All a guy has to say is, “Yes, I do love you and I’ll never do it again.” It’s called lying and I’ve used similar lines before, when I was young and dumb, to keep a girl with me, out of spite because I felt she had the audacity to question my motives. And giving a guy an ultimatum is the worse thing a girl can do when it comes to a relationship. Because in doing so, the guy feels that he’s under attack and will retaliate in the way he thinks can hurt her back: IE, he’d automatically chose the choice that is farthest from her. And say he does choose her, he’d eventually come to resent her. He will then blame her for all the messes in the relationship after that point on, because he was ‘forced’ to choose her. Ultimatums work in business negotiations, not in a relationship.

• August 23, 2007 at 1:41 amDarklord

Okay, maybe calling her a slut was a little exaggerated. I did not mean slut in terms of offering herself to anyone, I meant it in terms of using her body to get a guy to fall for her. That’s like a different kind of slut, or at least a woman who exhibits slutty behavior. I’m sorry I cannot come up with a better word. If they were in a normal relationship then I would have no problem with her trying to seduce him, but in the current situation she is just doing it out of desperation. Also, as you suggested, why doesn’t she speak with her parents about that? If she is really confused and wondering what to do she should seek some advice, and since she does not have any friends, she should talk to her parents. So, maybe she is not a slut in the complete sense of the word, but still what she is doing is wrong.

You give many good reasons why her behavior is understandable. Yes, I can see it happening, I can see that she was pushed to the edge, that she did not know what else to do. Still, does that make what she did right? No! You said a girl at this age is clueless about relationships. Well, the truth is girls mature much faster than guys. A girl in her teens is already a young adult, while most guys are still kids. So, if a girl is clueless about relationships, then a guy like Makoto is even more clueless. Does that fact excuse him for acting like a jerk? Again, no! It just bothers me that people are willing to forgive Kotonoha for making a clearly wrong decision just because she is young and clueless, while they are unwilling to forgive Makoto, even though he is also young and clueless.

Well, Kotonoha still has not done anything irreversible yet, so I am still willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. It’s just that compared to how admirable she acted in earlier episodes and how she was the victim, now my respect for her is fading, that’s all.

• August 23, 2007 at 1:58 ambanzemanga

I love your paragraph. We should post it in every school days blog.

“In harem anime, all the girls will fall in love with the main character, no matter how worthless a piece of trash he is. Sometimes the main character is good, sometimes he’s bad…this time we have Makoto who is…well…a lot below “bad”.”

• August 23, 2007 at 2:11 ambanzemanga

lol. “Kill it. Kill Makoto.” Just kidding.

@Darklord
    Yes, i agree with you that Makoto should not be blamed for everything since each of the characters carry a heavy responsibility.

Sekai: for putting Makoto and Kotonoha together even though she liked Makoto. Tempting Makoto while he is with Kotonoha and accepting Makoto when she makes Kotonoha fall for Makoto really deep.

Setsuna: for putting Sekai and Makoto together even though she liked Makoto. Pushing Kotonoha away from Makoto in a very mean way.

Kotonoha: for trying to take Makoto back even though she already knew that Makoto was cheating on her. She might get to do it with Makoto in the festival too just to keep her relationship with him!

No need to mention the main character irresponsibility as we have seen so far.

• August 23, 2007 at 3:23 amChivascoke

Where are the actions ???
    Boring anime…everything has been going so peacefully !!! Urgh….

• August 23, 2007 at 3:36 amRemy

Darklord: Unfortunately, that’s the double standard. Is it right that it exists. Obviously not. But that’s how it is. Kotonoha is a girl and, as a guy, I can’t help but want to protect her, since her char. design is meant to be the vulnerable type that appeals a male’s fraternal/paternal instincts. While Makoto, being a guy, is submitted to our criticism because he is a male, like many of us. So I’ll judge his actions off of the actions and choices he’d made, compared to what I would’ve done in his shoes. It’s easier for me to relate to Makoto and find stronger points to validate why I’d hate him.

It’s sad that in our society, we’re willing to overlook/lessen the punishment of crimes commited by woman and condemn the criminal acts of a male far more harshly. But it exists, and despite the declaration of desire equality by feminists, it is something they continue to promote in society. Remember the case where the wife chopped off her husband’s sexual tool and threw it into the field? They found the wife, they found the husband, they found the field, and they found the missing part. She walked, scotch free.

Now consider this: if it had been the husband who cut off one of her breasts and threw it into the field, would he’d walked off? Of course, this is neither the time or place to discuss this, it’s simply used as an example to explain to Darklord why it seems that Makoto is being burn at the stakes and Kotonoha isn’t.

• August 23, 2007 at 4:26 amDarklord

Yeah, unfortunately you are right about the double standard, but I still think it is wrong. I mean, it’s the same as saying that there are rapists and criminals and people who act like Makoto in the real world, but that does not make them right does it?

It is interesting to see how you feel about it and I am sure many people feel the same way as you. I myself can also relate to Makoto more, not because I am like him, but because I am a guy. That’s exactly why, though, I am more inclined to protect him than to protect the girls – because I can somehow identify with him(just because I am a guy, not because I approve of what he does) and I might be in a similar situation as he is(even though I would never act like him). I mean, I would hate it if the double standard was applied against me, so I guess I think the opposite of you. That’s why I usually try to protect guys when their head is on the chopping block.

Don’t get me wrong, I still disapprove strongly with what he is doing. I am not trying to defend Makoto or anything, but if I see that the girls are also behaving improperly, I will condemn them as well. I know it is impossible to fight the double standard in the world, but I will at least try to do so in this forum.

• August 23, 2007 at 6:16 amAle

Mind you I give Sekai a lot of criticism too. She doesn’t get let off easily with me – no traitor does. I guess I just have more sympathy/pity for Koto because she seems to be so desperate now. I don’t like it, but I don’t see her actions in the same way as I see the other two’s.

• August 23, 2007 at 6:18 amAle

And for the record, I try to fight that kind of hypocrisy in the real world all the time. One has to value people for their actions rather than their sex and try to see them as equal, in that sense at least.

• August 23, 2007 at 7:07 amMaxmilian

Man Setsuna is moving to France thats sad. Man another girl who likes Makoto. But it was soooo sweet. And Katsura is standing just there. I really wonder if this wont end up badly.

• August 23, 2007 at 11:13 amAle

On the plus side she’ll be away from Makoto and the bunch, just in case that strong case of idiocy they display is contagious.

• August 23, 2007 at 2:27 pmmajor

I could see Koto sharpening her blade right now. *cue Jaws music*

• August 23, 2007 at 3:40 pmEpsilon

Just to add in some food for thought… with Setsuna heading to France, this certainly throws a wrench in the Sekai/Makoto camp since it was Setsuna who did have a hand in helping the two resolve their feelings and start a real relationship in a few of the game endings IIRC. There isn’t much room for a good ending (unless Makoto impregnates both young ladies so there could be a possibility of the “Two Lovers” ending but that’s doubtful) so I’m going to bet the ending on some fusion of the three bad endings.

• August 24, 2007 at 5:51 pma03