Gurren Lagann – 25 »« Gurren Lagann – 23

Gurren Lagann   24   22 Gurren Lagann   24   23 Gurren Lagann   24   24
Gurren Lagann   24   25 Gurren Lagann   24   26 Gurren Lagann   24   27
Gurren Lagann   24   28 Gurren Lagann   24   29 Gurren Lagann   24   30
Gurren Lagann   24   31 Gurren Lagann   24   32 Gurren Lagann   24   33
Gurren Lagann   24   34 Gurren Lagann   24   35 Gurren Lagann   24   36
Gurren Lagann   24   37 Gurren Lagann   24   38 Gurren Lagann   24   39

Summary:

By mentally focusing on Nia, Simon is able to confirm her dimensional coordinates for the ship and allows it to get a lock. He then makes a speech to his crew about how they can’t lose no matter what happens and how they have to win to protect their planet. With Simon declaring this to be the final battle, the Chouginga Dai-Gurren makes the warp jump and arrives in a place where a huge, naked Nia is floating in space. Nia is glad that Simon came, but she warns him to be careful because the Anti-Spirals are more powerful than he thinks. Undeterred, Simon vows to win and to go home with her. Nia smiles when she hears this, but she suddenly start experiencing pain and the huge image of her starts flickering. Lord Genome thinks that the Anti-Spirals are analyzing her body because she was born on Earth and grew up with humans, meaning that information about mankind is stored inside of her. However, he also questions why they need to analyze her now after such a long time.

After Yoko wonders where the real Nia is if what’s in front of them is just an image, Simon decides that they’ll make the jump again to try to reach the real her. When they arrive back at the same spot, Lord Genome realizes that the fake Nia they see is forcibly interfering with their jump. Simon wants to try once more, but an Anti-Spiral voice suddenly starts to address them from all directions. Lord Genome explains that this is possible because they’re in a causal space created by the Anti-Spirals in which the Anti-Spirals can manipulate things at will. Thus, the Gurren-dan’s enemy is this space itself. Deriding them for foolishly clinging to hope, the voice of the Anti-Spirals claims that the beacon of hope will disappear with Nia. Hearing this, Lord Genome tells the others that if Nia disappears, then it’ll be impossible for them to find the enemy’s mother planet. Simon won’t let that happen, but two giant battleships with heads carved in them then appear out of portals.

The voice calls these battleships absolute despair for Simon’s group, and when Simon orders Attenborough to open fire with the ship’s guns, they find out that these giant vessels employ an energy barrier similar to the ones that the Mugan were using. Because of this, Simon decides to send out their Gunmen, including the Arc-Gurren-Lagann. When they head down to the hanger, Kittan and the other pilots find out that Reite has created large versions of each of their Gunmen using the Chouginga Dai-Gurren’s production capabilities. Upon launch, they are greeted by so many enemy vessels (shaped like hands and feet) that it’s impossible for them to count them all. However, once the battle begins, they find that these enemies are fairly easy to destroy with their Gunmen, and they quickly clear a path for the Arc-Gurren-Lagann to strike at the huge battleships. Simon pushes a massive drill against the enemy energy barrier, but he and Viral aren’t able to pierce through and soon realize that this drill is insufficient.

Wanting a bigger drill, Simon remembers the ones on the Chouginga Dai-Gurren, but Reite informs him that he has to transform the ship to use them. According to Lord Genome, transforming the ship into humanoid form will amplify its spiral power manyfold, though doing this requires directly sending spiral power to the engines, and Simon’s the only person with that kind of power. This also means that the Arc Gurren will be taken out of then battle, but Kittan and the other pilots are confident that they can handle it. Simon thus returns to the ship and starts powering it up, but while he’s waiting for that to finish, he gets a bad feeling about all this. On the battlefield, Yoko has also noticed something strange: the enemy is too weak. It’s not until all the Gunmen get an order to regroup that the Anti-Spiral ships strike. One of their first victims is Zoushi, and although Ailac and Kidd go to help, they don’t make it in time to save him from being crushed by a hand.

One of the large battleships then fires a wave of 13 missiles, so Dayakka orders Attenborough to fire their missile interceptors. These interceptors only catch seven of the missiles, and Yoko and Darry are barely able to destroy the other six. Ailac and Kidd meanwhile have gotten themselves completely surrounded, and realizing that this is the end, they send a final transmission to Simon telling him not to make Nia cry. Back at the Chouginga Dai-Gurren, another missile gets warped in right beside the ship, and Yoko is forced to use all of the Dayakkaiser’s missiles to destroy it. When a second one appears, Darry manages to shoot it down, but the ensuing explosion destroys a good part of her Gulaparl. A third one then warps in on the port side of the ship, and this time it’s Makken who sacrifices himself to blow it up. Though she senses this loss, Reite doesn’t stop working and reports that the spiral power is at 95%.

With Darry’s Gulaparl immobilized, Gimmy rushes to her aid, but the pair quickly come under heavy attack. Darry wants Gimmy to escape with his own life, and although he refuses, his own Gulaparl starts taking a lot of hits. To his surprise, Jougan and Barinbou swoop in to destroy the enemies and carry the two damaged Gulaparls away. Taking a lot of damage while they try to fly back, the twins throw Gimmy and Darry towards the main ship and tell Gimmy to protect Darry. Jougan and Barinbou then turn around and face the horde of Anti-Spiral vessels, taking them all out in one giant explosion. Meanwhile, the Chouginga Dai-Gurren has finished powering up, and Simon vows not to forget this moment. They’re just seconds away from transforming the ship when they suddenly feel a gravitational pull from the port side of the ship. To their surprise, the ship then crashes into a large body of water and loses spiral power. Lord Genome realizes that this was a trap, and the Chouginga Dai-Gurren sinks into the water with the enemy battleships watching on.

Gurren Lagann   24   Preview 01 Gurren Lagann   24   Preview 02 Gurren Lagann   24   Preview 03

The animation quality was really good this week, a definite plus since this episode was almost all battle. It wasn’t a huge surprise for me that they killed off some of the supporting cast, though there was a little scare in there when it looked like Darry would die too. The final death toll (not including random Gulaparl pilots) ended up being Zoushi, Ailac, Kidd, Makken, Jougan, and Barinbou. I probably should have realized that something was up as soon as I saw the eye-catch, but it didn’t click in my mind until after I finished watching the episode. Anyway, out of all of them, Makken’s death was probably the one that had the most effect for me since they had developed his story with Reite a little more than the others, though I have a lot more respect for Barinbou and Jougan now too.
There are technically a few more supporting cast members who could die – such as Attenborough, Tetsukan, Gabal – but their deaths wouldn’t mean much at this point compared to if, say, Yoko, Kittan, or even Dayakka died. On that note, it’s actually looking to me like Kittan and Yoko could have something going eventually since the two of them have been getting a lot of dialogue together recently. I’m beginning to think that a relationship between them isn’t out of the realm of possibility, especially if they both survive to the end. Having said all that, the title of next week’s episode, I Accept Your Dying Wish!, implies that someone else may die after all. From the preview, it looks like we’ll be seeing the Chouginga Gurren Lagann (Super Galactic Gurren Lagann) in action, and I’m sure that’ll be exciting to watch.

September 8, 2007 at 9:54 pm
  • September 8, 2007 at 9:55 pmAL

oh my god…..I can’t believe that they died….

• September 8, 2007 at 9:57 pmBlaze

Speechless…

• September 8, 2007 at 9:58 pman eggroll

sweet

• September 8, 2007 at 9:58 pmGeneralGM

Jeez, the whole brigade is almost gone.

• September 8, 2007 at 10:03 pmKyon

I love this Serie T_T

• September 8, 2007 at 10:04 pmgolthin

Oh yeah! MAkken is dead! I was kind of pissed that hot Reite hooked up with him.
    Now we need to have the guy that they hooked with kinyou die too! I am such a narty person!

• September 8, 2007 at 10:04 pm@lk3mizt

omg so many deaths!

• September 8, 2007 at 10:05 pmVan

aw damn… why would they die and not Rosiu and Kinou! IT’S SO UNFAIR!!!

• September 8, 2007 at 10:08 pmklazyguy

………………………..oh-my-go………………..wtf….that was totally unexpected….woah crap…i salute them…

• September 8, 2007 at 10:10 pmMark

• September 8, 2007 at 10:17 pmHeiae

At least Kittan made it. I never want him to die. Him or Viral.

This episode looks mind-blowing. DO WANT!

• September 8, 2007 at 10:24 pmHiruma

Argh I hate the anti-spirals what is this hax first they open their eyes and become invulnerable wtf

Then suddenly they make a giant sea of doom

Do not want!!!

• September 8, 2007 at 10:24 pmgolthin

“Heiae says
    At least Kittan made it. I never want him to die. Him or Viral.

This episode looks mind-blowing. DO WANT!”

Three more episodes and with the title of episode 25 and he being in such shape, his chances for survival are VERY small. They basically only have now 6 named characters that can fight, Simon, Viral, Darry, Gimmy, Kittan??, and Kiyoh’s husband and one of them is not 100%, Yoko being blind basically guarantee her survival! Kittan might still be able to go out in battle and die with one had! muahahahah!

• September 8, 2007 at 10:26 pmGP

fuck yeah!!! that’s what EPIC”ness is ALL ABOUT! It’s fucking WAR, people WILL DIE. Welcome to some reality in your animu!

• September 8, 2007 at 10:30 pmEpicity

KAMINA dies again??! :(

• September 8, 2007 at 10:38 pmKalle

“Well, I have to say that Yoko’s new costume is absolutely horrible and now I can’t stand her. ^^”

… you’re basing that on an OUTFIT? Talk about shallow.

• September 8, 2007 at 10:46 pmNekozama

………………… soo epic im speechless , and im also starting to like the character of Jougan, and Barinbou

• September 8, 2007 at 10:52 pmjime-chanjuju

YOKO IS BLIND NOW??!! WTF??!! I DON’T LIKE HER COSTUME TOO!!!

• September 8, 2007 at 11:01 pmBROOKLYN otaku

OHHH MY GOD! WHY DID I READ THIS SUMMARY!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I RUINED EVERYTHING…screenshots look BANANAS!!!!!

• September 8, 2007 at 11:17 pmjaalin

kalle: welcome to anime

attenborough> SPACE IS A GIANT NAKED CHICK?!

• September 8, 2007 at 11:26 pmbanzemanga

lol

@Van
    I agree with you. I mean the good guys die while the bad ones are forgivable for their sin?

• September 8, 2007 at 11:29 pmDmo

Never Shall we forget…This minute and second…

• September 9, 2007 at 12:09 amMaedhros

Lulz golthin, where did you see that Yoko’s blind?

• September 9, 2007 at 12:12 am8GaugeBrett

Yeh, I was pretty sure that I must have been going blind myself since I don’t see ANYTHING saying Yoko is now blind…

• September 9, 2007 at 12:16 amgolthin

it was mentioned in 2ch! but it might not be true becaause Kittan didn’t lose a hand either.
    So all bets are off and Yoko is still open game for the next batch of casualties!

• September 9, 2007 at 12:19 amTsukasa

Wow .. I just watch it.. Omg… Barinbou Brothers died.. Omg.. I counted like 2,3 ,5, – 6 death in total.. and really make me cry. Sob..

And when the spiral energy is fully charged , it back to 0 as anti spiral drag them to the sea in universe . WTH…

• September 9, 2007 at 12:32 ammu

looks like kitan or someone else is going to die next episode.

• September 9, 2007 at 12:52 amquina

…welcome to the TRAP

• September 9, 2007 at 2:16 amwahahaha

Its GAINAX’s style! always make me mad.I’m so worry with this series ending.

• September 9, 2007 at 4:14 amUnknown Voice

ROOOOOOOOOFL It just screams EVANGELION for me XDDDDDDDD

• September 9, 2007 at 5:44 amPlatypus

Yeah they love self-references at Gainax ^^ I was so sad when I saw the Ganmen explode… I hope Kittan will stay alive, he and Dayakka are the last Ganmen drivers remaining from the original Dai-Gurren Dan. And the trap is so awful… Zettaiteki zetsubou :(

• September 9, 2007 at 8:01 amGP

• September 9, 2007 at 9:13 amArakan7

Damn, what a way for them to go. Man, I was right there with Darry crying for all of them. Felt so unreal while it was happening to the seemingly invincible Dai Gurren Dan. KEH, now I want to kick someone’s ass! XDDD

• September 9, 2007 at 10:37 amBogus

MWAH!!! Good, good, nice animation and all, it almost made me forget the crapiness of the new outfits ^^
    Now we have Earth-size Anti-Spiral things with strange faces all over, GAINAX is increasing the mystery around the Han Rasen Zoku… Beyond that the first guy who dies and the twins have nicely animated death (YESSS they finally get rid of those stupid gorillas, alas Attenborough and Dayakka are still around…), but one must admit that all those guys were randomly introduce together during the first big battle and aren’t much of a loss. On a different note I hope that GAINAX won’t make another crappy choice with some YokoXKittan (just let him stay a funny cool perv…).

• September 9, 2007 at 11:31 amashlay

well, not the greatest type of episode, but the way they did it was really quite perfect.

here’s hoping we get some KittanxYoko.

• September 9, 2007 at 5:30 pmpinoy78

Wow. Things are looking bad for humanity.

• September 9, 2007 at 5:42 pmgolthin

“GP says:
    meh at any Yoko x Kittan crap, ain’t gonna happen, people are just cluching at straws now. If Yoko doesn’t somehow get with Simon by the end, then she’ll be by herself, simple as that. As for who will die next, rumors have been saying it’s Kittan, he’s the last Kamina like character in the show. His death will be epic enough to match with next eps title. But we’ll know in a week won’t we.”

I completely agree with this statement! chances of Yoko ending with Simon are 0%, she is just going to go back to the island to her students. I don’t completely rule out a yokoxKittan paring. Heck Gainax gave us the most unlikely pairing after the time skip with MakkenxReite and Dayakkaxkiyoh. I hope Yoko goes back to her students, there is nobody in sight that can fill Kamina’s shoe but Simon and he belongs now to Nia.

• September 9, 2007 at 6:44 pmDark

I starting to think!!!! Gurren Lagann only 26 Eps and they only start the big war at 24 can they finsh every thing or are they planing to make it un finsh story??????

• September 9, 2007 at 7:35 pmAnonymooo

“I’m beginning to think that a relationship between them isn’t out of the realm of possibility, especially if they both survive to the end.”

Oh yeah, Diet Kamina does deserve his chance with the local hottie. He certainly does.

• September 9, 2007 at 7:44 pmMaedhros

It’s 27 episodes…

• September 9, 2007 at 8:01 pmOnrik

The Twins laugh at the end was scary. It really was just a “I’m taking you all down with me!” maniacal laugh.

• September 9, 2007 at 10:40 pmflou

The last scene with the Chouginga Dai-Gurren sinking looked like it was a reference to an episode of Nadia (also GAINAX) :D

• September 9, 2007 at 11:30 pmAki

I want a Yoko/Simon ending personally. Though I will accept the cliche “innocent-girl-in-the-capsule-ends-up-with-the-boy-who-found-her-ending” It kinda reminds me of zoids a tiny bit. The whole Fiona in the capsule-thing and Van who finds her and pilots a robot who is totally kick ass. Lol I dunno. I just think Simon should be with a fighter instead of a princess. ^^;

• September 9, 2007 at 11:33 pmMaul3r

• September 10, 2007 at 12:02 pmbuh

yokoxsimoun? That’s like… Anakin and Padme. Cept that the age difference is actually there from episode one. KittanxYoko is way more likely, though it’s even way more likely that Yoko will just go back to the island.

• September 10, 2007 at 7:06 pmlegno

I don’t think that accept your dying will has to do with someone who’ll die. I think it’s another stage in the beliefs of spirals, better simon. I think with the deaths simon saw, simon will know what the meaning is. As he once said: “even if I defeat you and I die, it’s still my victory”…

There’ll be a different simon, one who’ll face death for winning this battle

• September 10, 2007 at 7:39 pmJooJoo

so six people die, and then they get forced into the ocean. can it get any more worse?? -_-;;

• September 10, 2007 at 8:47 pmsdliddo

god. i didnt expect them to die like that. Damn u gainax. u know how to make us pissed at you folks yet love you all the same.
    I dunno about you guys but if yoko and the others die in this… i wont be surprised. leaving only simon and a few survivors? GOD. so possible with this episode showing us the terrible power of the antispirals.
    Would explain a few things on episode 1 including the ship.. which means there IS a larger ship out there for them to use….

OVerall.. a sad episode really. Then again heroes must die to get the main character to fulfill his pledge. Textbook i suppose but somehow I feel gainax is gonna pull somehting totally unexpected.

Nia dying. God it is so possible now…..

• September 10, 2007 at 9:16 pmEld

dieing is just one part of the cycle of life

• September 10, 2007 at 10:46 pmhey!

I just thought of a crazy idea. What if old man coco is Simon from the future look at all the episodes that he has saved Nia also episode 23 he looks at the picture of nia in a depressed way also he has goggles too.

• September 11, 2007 at 2:44 pmMark

Kalle, I think you took my comment way too seriously and, besides, I didn’t really mean I like the character much less, I meant that the clothes kinda ruin my image of her because it’s like they’ve turned her into one of those typical huge-breasted women shoved into various shonen anime that don’t really do much. (a character type I really dislike) So it’s more like this is the first decision made by GAINAX out of the whole anime that’s disappointed me. I admit I didn’t phrase it very well but the ^^ emote should be an indicator that I meant it lightly.

• September 11, 2007 at 7:16 pmanon

i don’t see any supporting characters dying from this point on. the only possibles for me:

- Nia dies, Simon goes into ultra-GARLOCK mode that we see in ep. 1.
    - Simon + Nia both die (but in victory) in last ep. and Yoko is left alone with memories of Kamina + Simon.
    - No one dies and everyone wins. : D

• September 11, 2007 at 11:15 pmy000

“anon says:

- Nia dies, Simon goes into ultra-GARLOCK mode that we see in ep. 1.
    - No one dies and everyone wins. : D”

lol theres another possible ending:

- No one dies and everyone wins. : D
    AND Simon earn the skill “Ressurection” and everyone lives again (Kamina as well) : D

• September 12, 2007 at 12:12 amShintiko

@buh
    There’s no age difference between Simon and Yoko. In the beginning of the series they were both 14 and Kamina was 17. So now they should both be 21.

• September 12, 2007 at 3:41 amDarklynerZ

So many characters dying in the last few eps…..reminds me of Gundam Seed where lots of people died in ep 49….Mu la flaga…flay…Blue Cosmos b@starD….dominion captain….3 astray sisters…3 drug addict gundam pilots…

apart frm that…Gurren Lagann still rocks!

• September 12, 2007 at 3:45 amDarklynerZ

Oh and they seemed to have supersized everything…including all the Dai-Gurren’s person gunmen….Question;…..did they supersize the gulapaul ones as well?

• September 12, 2007 at 9:52 pmqwertypoiuy

ahhhh which is better Gurren Lagann or evangelion
    anyway both kick ass

• September 13, 2007 at 1:11 pmYinYang

I think he title of the next episode refers to all the dying wishes from this episode. “Get Nia back” “Protect Gimmy”…

• September 13, 2007 at 6:24 pmASDAS

definitly a great series

my #1 in mecha anime and general overall

• September 14, 2007 at 4:25 pmANO

i still miss kamina nyuuh T-T

• September 14, 2007 at 4:48 pmpinoy78

WOW. Tons of Matsumoto homages in this one.

Heroic yet blunt sacrifices, dirty Gamilon tactics, and an ocean in the sea. YIKES.

• September 15, 2007 at 9:29 pmRavage

Epic episode, with 3 even more (hopefully) epic episodes to come. :D
    I didn’t expect them to kill off so many off the supporting cast in 1 ep, but it makes sense, looking at it in the whole picture. I was having a major fit about Darry though, really worried she might not make it(running around the room panicking and threatening GAINAX to save her, or else I’d kick their asses ;) ).
    I never appreciated Joudan and Barinbou all that much, but after sacrificing themselves for Gimmy and Darry, one has to say: “May we never forget!”

Next ep looks like Chouginga Gurren Lagann idd, and Boota was looking suspicious as well in the preview, maybe he’ll transform at that point as well?