« Romeo X Juliet – 23

Romeo X Juliet – 24 (END)

RomeoXJuliet   24   01 RomeoXJuliet   24   02 RomeoXJuliet   24   03
RomeoXJuliet   24   31 RomeoXJuliet   24   32 RomeoXJuliet   24   33
RomeoXJuliet   24   34 RomeoXJuliet   24   35 RomeoXJuliet   24   36
RomeoXJuliet   24   37 RomeoXJuliet   24   38 RomeoXJuliet   24   39
RomeoXJuliet   24   40 RomeoXJuliet   24   41 RomeoXJuliet   24   42
RomeoXJuliet   24   43 RomeoXJuliet   24   44 RomeoXJuliet   24   45
RomeoXJuliet   24   46 RomeoXJuliet   24   47 RomeoXJuliet   24   48

Summary:

Since Francisco, Curio, and Conrad aren’t sure what’s going on, Tybalt fills them in on how only Romeo and Juliet can save the world. At this moment, however, Ophelia is telling Romeo that she gave Juliet the kiss of death as a sign of the contract with the tree Escalus. She claims that Juliet won’t wake up any longer, but since Romeo insists on saving her, she uses the tree roots to keep him tied up while she has Escalus swallow Juliet up into its trunk. Immediately after this happens, the entire continent starts shaking violently as giant roots spring from the ground. Once things settle down again, Romeo declares that this fate for Juliet is wrong since she alone shouldn’t bear the sins. Ophelia corrects him because it’s not just Juliet – Escalus and Neo Verona have been saved by the blood of many Capulets. She also questions if Romeo would be fine with the land being destroyed, and he replies by saying that if that’s the path, he would accept it because of his oath to walk together with her.

Calling him foolish, Ophelia flies down right in front of Romeo and is about to strike him down when she suddenly gets an arrow shot through her hand. That arrow came from Francisco who has found his way into the chamber along with Tybalt and Curio, and Tybalt quickly frees Romeo from the roots holding him down. While the others keep Ophelia busy, Romeo gets a ride up to the top of the tree and starts hacking his way towards Juliet. Unfortunately, Ophelia then declares that she won’t permit them to touch Escalus, and she knocks down both Curio and Francisco. When Tybalt attempts to attack her directly, he finds himself hitting an invisible barrier around her, and he gets knocked back too. Romeo almost reaches the center of the tree where Juliet is being held, but Ophelia stops him by pulling him back with the branches. Despite this, Romeo uses all his strength to stand his ground because he wants to save Juliet, and his crying out of her name finally awakens her. This also causes the top of the tree to explode, and it turns Ophelia almost entirely into wood.

With white petals floating down all around, Juliet wakes up to see Romeo watching over her, and he tells her that she’s free. At his urging, Juliet falls asleep again, but Ophelia then rises up to say that there is consider might of Escalus’ in the world, and she won’t let its unique and precious existence be destroyed. In response, Romeo points his sword at her and declares that the most precious existence in this world are the people who live on it. When Ophelia fires a tree branch at him, Romeo cuts through it and charges straight through her, shattering her. This leads to more of the continent breaking up, though things are calm again when Juliet reawakens. The first thing she sees, however, is Romeo with a branch piercing through his armor, so she rushes over to him. Speaking slowly, Romeo says that it was thanks to her that he felt the joys of loving someone for the first time. He was happy to live in the world with her, but he knows that he can’t call her name or see her anymore. Romeo then leans in as if to get a final kiss, but his body falls limp before it can happen.

Though Juliet is still grieving over Romeo, Tybalt urges her to get on his winged horse because the tree is about to crumble. Juliet, however, asks Romeo to say her name and touches his lips as if that would help. In trying to comfort her, Tybalt tells her that Romeo shouldered everything himself because he loved her. Remembering their oath to each other about being together through life and death, Juliet realizes that Romeo kept it until the very end, and she decides that she will too. She came to save the world, and she knows that Escalus still lives because she can feel its life inside of her. Activating her wings, Juliet tells Romeo that she loves him and, after putting his hand on her cheek, she feels that they’ll be together for eternity. She then asks Escalus to grant her prayer, and her wings multiply and grow huge in size. It is through these wings that the continent’s descent down to the planet is slowed, and it splashes safely into the water below.

In the aftermath, William recounts how they didn’t know that Escalus supported the world and that Neo Verona was floating in the air. Elsewhere in the city, Hermione carries both an iris and a rose, and she wonders if Romeo and Juliet are happy together. She feels that she’ll definitely become happy too someday. As for the rest of the Capulet group, Francisco is now a part of the parliament of Neo Verona, and Vittorio is once again the mayor. Curio has his own vegetable store, and Benvolio and Cordelia have a baby. Tending to a row of iris flowers in front of a carving of the goddess, Conrad feels that he had been wrong, but a grown up Antonio tells him that Juliet wouldn’t want him to be sad. In the countryside, Tybalt is giving a ride to Petruchio’s siblings on a white winged horse, and when they say that this horse is pretty, Tybalt admits that it’s actually his little brother’s. William meanwhile thinks about how strife, hatred, sadness, and pain can all be ended by love. The joy of love is what Romeo and Juliet taught him.

Unlike today’s Claymore finale, Romeo and Juliet actually had what I thought was a pretty good ending. I say “good” in the sense that the story got wrapped up nicely with some of the best animation quality I’ve seen for this show since the first episode. I particularly liked William’s last couple of lines which I don’t think are actually from any of Shakespeare’s real works, but they still concluded the show on a high note. Hearing Tybalt refer to Romeo as his little brother was a nice touch too.
Romeo and Juliet died as expected, but Romeo didn’t become the second tree or anything like I thought he would based on what the old man had told him to do. Instead, he was mortally wounded fighting Ophelia, and Juliet was the only one who sacrificed herself to become the tree. The main thing I didn’t understand here was why they had to make Ophelia a bad guy. Unless they really just needed an antagonist (which is very possible), it seemed like Ophelia’s goals and what Juliet ended up doing were the same, so it makes me wonder if a lot of the stuff that happened was unnecessary – like Romeo dying. That and the fact that we were never told who the old man was.

Final Thoughts: I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I started watching this series, and when the first episode turned out to be one of the best I had seen in a long time, I was instantly hooked on the show. The amazing opening song probably had a lot to do with that. :D Unfortunately, I thought that several of the middle episodes were rather boring, and some of the characters felt wasted (Hermione for example). Things came together again by the end though, so I’d say it was overall a good series. It’d be interesting to see more of Shakespeare’s works adapted like this, but I’m not sure if any of the others have as well known characters or themes as this did.

September 25, 2007 at 7:16 pm
  • November 9, 2007 at 9:07 amKris

*cry*….Hiks…I watched this anime today, and even the title called Rome X Juliet, i still had high expectation that this anime would end happy…But………Hiksss…

• November 29, 2007 at 8:44 pmjedigriever

i hate sad endings but this one was different.. maybe its not as sad seeing as romeo and juliet ended up still being together forever.. but still nothing could make me cry more than the final moments of romeo and juliet with Lena Park’s You raise me up in the background..

• December 3, 2007 at 11:37 pmkwon

For those still wondering, boontan.net has them all up w/o registration.

• December 8, 2007 at 4:57 pmkody

this show reminded me a little of tales of symphonia with the whole magical tree sustaining the land thing

• January 1, 2008 at 1:25 ambooboo

so did they ever show what happened to that lil village Romeo was trying to make??

• January 13, 2008 at 7:53 pmben

Ophelia, is the bad guy, because she is the guardian of the tree, and runs on a belief that all life belongs to the tree ‘escalus’ since, really everything is from escalus.. even if the world has changed, and time itself has moved on, human strife, anger, hate, pain, will always exist, and the need for her and of the tree is unquestionable. she is seen as the bad guy since, she will not allow change to occur.. so in a way, she isnt a bad guy .. just doing her job ..

• January 14, 2008 at 12:25 pmRinibiny

I watched this series from the beginning to the end, and I really really loved it. The interpretation was so beautiful! Unlike in the play, the anime gave enough time for the viewers to get to know the characters and grow in love with them. I knew Romeo and Juliet were going to die at the end, but I really… really did not want them to. How sad eh? Impending doom really!

I watched it faithfully with a friend and we had some good laughs. The opening song still makes me giggle. Japanese version of “You raise me up”? Priceless.

And thank you very much for your episode summaries. My friend and I always watched raws as soon as they came out, and you always had a summary she could read so she could understand the episode without subs! Amazing. Great work!

• January 21, 2008 at 3:30 pmYukiruchan

I’m surprised there isn’t any fangirling…
    Kyaaa~~~~ Tybalt is so HAWT!!!!
    (etc) around here
    I think this episode excited me the most when Tybalt, Francisco and Curio come rushing to help Romeo fight Escalus. Hooray for Tybalt (hooray that he didn’t die too) The ending with Tybalt and Petruchio’s siblings riding Viero was really cute too.

As for Romeo x Juliet … I thought it was a great ending!
    Bravo!! Encore! (Throws roses and lilies onto the stage!)

Especially loved:
    Tybalt! *hearts*
    Francisco & Curio
    Juliet’s “IYAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!”
    All Juliet’s expressions in the last episodes – very pretty!
    Willy ^_^
    The miner folk

• February 13, 2008 at 10:07 amtybaltlovah

waaaah!!! so cute, tybalt is soooo ultra mega hot in that one that’s goota be my 2nd favorite picture of him!

• March 5, 2008 at 11:35 amCorynne

I wanna know where the hell Mercutio went.

• April 18, 2008 at 12:38 amsarah

it was a good series, i agree. hey. there’s just one thing that makes me think. who is the new duke of neo verona. at first i thought it was francisco when he was called to come to the meeting of the nobles. but if he was the enw duke, they would have addressed him as grand duke. so, i now know that he wasn’t the new grand duke. well, who knows about the new grand duke? or does the story doesn’t have that at all? well, haha.

kyaa~ tybalt was so cool. letting petruchio’s sibling have a ride on cielo. i was touched by the fact that he really treated romeo as his brother although they’ve known each other and been together for a little amount of time. also i was touched when romeo did the same and addressed tybalt as his brother when he got off tybalt’s pegasus to go to juliet and he said.. “thank you, brother..” that was really touching.

over all, i loved this series.

• April 18, 2008 at 12:43 amsarah

it was a good series, i agree. hey. there’s just one thing that makes me think. who is the new duke of neo verona. at first i thought it was francisco when he was called to come to the meeting of the nobles. but if he was the new duke, they would have addressed him as grand duke. so, i now know that he wasn’t the new grand duke. well, who knows about the new grand duke? or does the story doesn’t have that at all? well, haha.

i think tybalt should be the next grand duke. two reasons. sine he is the son of the grand duke montague who died. second is, he is the only capulet left. if the power is given to the capulets, but juliet is not there since she died, tybalt should be given power. if the power over neo verona is still for the montagues, tybalt would also be the grand duke since he is the only son left of the grand duke.

haha.

over all, i loved this series.

nyah.

• April 23, 2008 at 8:05 amalala

what a waste that the last eps are not subbed cuz i dont really understand japanese :(
    but i still loved this series and thnks for this website, otherwise i would have died not knowing what happend to them!

• June 7, 2008 at 3:45 pmOnigiri

When you think about the story of the anime, in the beginning Juliet was a two year-old infant at the time Lord Montague murdered her family and became king. It is then mentioned in another episode that Lady Portia met Lord Montague that night, and he made her his wife (or something like that). Eventually they had Romeo which means Juliet is about two years older then Romeo in the anime…

Anyway, I cried and saw the ending before I even thought of that, and I suggested I should put that up before I cry right now…! *cries*

• September 2, 2008 at 6:10 pmPaul’s Mom

Never really was into Japanese cartoons. I have an 8yr old son that got me into Avatar- The last Airbender (please dont make fun of me ;)and while I was looking for the finale I stumbled across those lil’ YouTube clips where they make a music video out of a cartoon episode. And it was love at first sight with RxJ I was hooked I stayed up til 3am having to watch almost all the episodes and know more about how this version of Shakes’ love tradegy ended. It was great in so many levels it made me laugh, angry and I think if I were not in such an uncomfortable position watching it on my couch I would have cried my eyeballs out. This “Anime” also taught me so much, most importantly, it taught me that you can’t fight war with war. There is always an alternative. Just be patient and options will emerge before you. Some episodes I found did not have english subtitles, but luckly I could get by on some spanish. I jotted down a few awesome inspirational thoughts. One that really moved me was when Shakes’ said “El viento sopla en el cielo soleado y tambien en el cielo nublado (el destino puede cambiar)… RxJ Episode 23

• September 30, 2008 at 3:21 amgloria

Valkyrie, what u said is it true???
    i love this anime but i dont like it that both of them cant live together.. i mean both alive.. coz romeo is dead and juliet sacrifice herself…

• January 1, 2009 at 10:47 pmantoinette

WTF was with the tree? It’s not bad to include it, but damn I’d rather have a simple ending that feels like it tied up with the beginning. All the sudden this giant magical tree of love comes in and makes everything too grand. Romeo and Juliet was a tragedy,yes, and this makes it seem a little too fairy tale like.

• April 16, 2009 at 1:12 pmminiR

Can’r believe they died!!! *sniff* *sniff*

• May 5, 2009 at 11:53 pmAJ

I think Tybalt becomes the new Grand Duke. He was the only living Capulet and Montague heir.

• August 13, 2009 at 2:34 pmlala

This show is so lame
    Romeo was always a pussy too

• October 12, 2009 at 12:52 pmhellishdude

awesome series and a fitting end. Sad but powerful. Juliet didn’t just sacrifices herself, throw her prayer, she, along with Romeo, both became the Tree(if you see the red glow in romeo’s body and his blood you will understand) granting them her wish to be eternaly together.
    I bow to this series. A good alternative romeo and juliet story.

• December 31, 2009 at 6:44 amAdam Davis

Great blog but why are you not using CAPTCHA to avoid comment spammers?

• February 23, 2010 at 5:52 amYahoouj

Really good work about this website was done. Keep trying more – thanks!

• April 23, 2010 at 8:41 amcelestine

this is one of the most wonderful romance anime i’ve ever seen in a decade!

• « Older Comments