Gundam 00 – 02 »« Random Musings – Gundam 00 Announced

Gundam 00 – 01

OP Sequence

OP: 「DAYBREAK’S BELL」 by L’Arc~en~Ciel
Watch the OP! Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Mirror 3

Summary:

In the year 2301 in the Kurdis Republic, large mobile suits blare a message about dealing a crushing blow to the non-believers who encroach on God’s land. By fighting and dying, they believe that they’ll be guided to God. Among the people opposing them is a boy named Setsuna F. Seiei – armed with only an assault rifle – who feels that there is no God in this world. Unfortunately, he can’t do much except to stay on the run as the mobile suits try to pick him off, and he eventually gets cornered. Setsuna is saved only when an energy beam suddenly falls from the sky and destroys the mobile suit. More of these attacks soon follow, with each destroying another one of the enemy, and Setsuna looks up to see a mobile suit that appears to have wings due to the particles coming out of its back. Fast-forward to the year 2307 when the Advanced European Union (AEU) is holding a military demonstration near the location of its orbital elevator. In the crowd of spectators, a man notes that this is the first solar energy type mobile suit for the AEU. A second man, mobile suit ace Graham Acre, says that the AEU wanted these suits by any means since they’ve been delayed with development of their orbital elevator. The first man then comments on the AEU’s courage in making the announcement of this new model on the tenth-anniversary of the Human Reform League. He thinks that the Enact is an imitation of their Flag mobile suit, and the only thing original thing about it is its design.

Unbeknownst to them, another mobile suit – the Exia – is falling rapidly through the atmosphere with Setsuna as its pilot. His target is the Enact, and he starts the first phase of his operation. The people on the ground soon detect the Exia’s approach, and Graham realizes that this isn’t another one of the AEU’s new models. Once the Exia lands on the ground, the pilot of the Enact, a man named Patrick Corlasawar, pulls out its sonic blade and charges. Setsuna responds by telling the Exia to destroy their target, and the Exia promptly cuts off the Enact’s hand. An angry Patrick then tries to shoot his opponent at point blank range, but the Exia is able to dodge it and proceeds to slice off both of the Enact’s arms as well as its head. Grabbing a pair of binoculars from the guy in front of him, Graham sees that the word GUNDAM is written on the Exia’s head, but he’s never heard the term before and thinks that it’s the name of this mobile suit. Inside the cockpit, Setsuna tells the Exia that the first phase is complete, and he starts the second phase. Watching the Exia fly away, Graham wonders if this was a warning and thinks that the AEU won’t stay silent about it.

Up in space, on the Celestial Being transport ship Ptolemaios, the crew is monitoring the progress of the operation, with one of them wondering if Setsuna did things properly. The ship’s tactical forecaster Sumeragi Ri Noriega has already started drinking alcohol in celebration of the beginning of Celestial Being’s introduction to the world. While this is going on, the Gundam Kyrios with its pilot Allelujah Haptism moves to the ship’s catapult deck, and it takes off in its flight mode. Meanwhile, on the station at the top of the Human Reform League’s orbital elevator, there is a party being held in commemoration of the 10th anniversary of the its opening. In attendance is Wang Liu Mei, a beautiful girl who comments to her attendant that Celestial Being is finally moving after learning from him that things have begun. Back on Earth, the Exia has come under attack by numerous AEU fighter aircraft, and help arrives in the form of sniper fire from the Gundam Dynames and its pilot Lockon Stratos on the ground. The two Gundams destroy all the aircraft, completing the operation’s second phase. At the AEU base, Graham is explaining to his companion that this is both containment for and a warning to the AEU for having military power that’s more than it is allowed in the treaty. Graham doesn’t know why the Gundam or its pilot is doing this, but he reiterates that he doesn’t think the AEU will stay silent.

During all this, terrorists in their own mobile suits have started approaching the Human Reform League’s geostationary satellite orbit station. The station’s defenses are scrambled, and an officer named Sergei Smirnov thinks that this situation is due to the AEU selling weapons randomly to third countries. The defense forces manage to fire on the terrorists, but they don’t land any hits before the terrorists unleash a trio of missiles aimed at the structure where the party is taking place. Fortunately for all those inside, the Gundam Kyrios shoots the missiles down and flies in to save the day. Allelujah destroys two of the terrorist mobile suits, but he can’t make it in time to the third one that appears to be making a suicide run, so he calls in Tieria Erde on the Gundam Virtue. One heavy cannon shot later, the terrorist mobile suit is destroyed, and the third phase is complete. It is some time later that day that the television station JNN airs a report about the incident with some footage taken by a camera crew at the party. They also show a video message that they got from the group that claims it stopped the terrorists. In it, an old man introduces his group as Celestial Being, a private military organization that possesses Gundams.

According to him, the purpose of Celestial Being is to eradicate warfare in this world. He claims that they’re not acting for their own profit, but rather for this large objective. With this declaration aimed towards all of mankind, he says that Celestial Being will use armed intervention against all warfare, no matter if the reason is territory, religion, or energy, and they will act against the countries, organizations, and companies that support war. Of the people reacting to this speech across the world, one of them is Marina Ismail who is concerned about the solution to war being war. Graham also hears the speech and laughs at how this contradicts Celestial Being’s existence. Onboard the Ptolemaios, Tieria comments on how Celestial Being is testing mankind, and Sumeragi calls it evildoing. Down on Earth, Lockon is excited that things have started, and he asks Setsuna if he understands that they’ve picked a fight with the world. Replying that he does, Setsuna then affirms that they are Celestial Being’s Gundam Meisters.

ED Sequence

ED: 「罠」 (Wana) by THE BACK HORN
Watch the ED!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Mirror 3
Honestly, I didn’t really like the OP or ED all that much. They were okay, but didn’t particularly stick with me or make me want to listen to them again. The ED especially started off a bit too rough for me, though I did like the chorus.

Preview:

The first episode of a new Gundam is fairly exciting as we get to see all four Meisters in action and get a feel for what Celestial Being stands for. I had been wondering about Celestial Being’s contradictory purpose, so I’m glad they’re highlighting that early on in the story because some just feels fishy about it. For all we know, they could have been responsible for the terrorists that they stopped. In any case, I’m interested in how this will turn out since the setting of three major powers plus Celestial Being means that there are more sides at play compared to some past Gundam series, and after Gundam SEED, it was refreshing to see all the “good” guys together on one side to start without a Gundam that needed to be stolen. Of course, something might happen down the line that could change that.

Overall, this wasn’t the greatest beginning (it lacked a certain oomph), but it got the job done introducing the characters and the story, and the animation quality didn’t disappoint. I couldn’t help but think of Death Note’s Light whenever I heard Setsuna talk (since both are voiced by Miyano Mamoru), though that should only take a little getting used to, and Setsuna didn’t really have that many lines this episode. I assume we’ll get more information and background on his character (like how he became the Exia’s pilot) as the series progresses. So far so good…

October 6, 2007 at 8:11 am
  • October 7, 2007 at 9:42 pmpatback409

I watched it…but mostly for the opening xD I couldn’t concentrate at all! I think I have to watch it over again.

• October 7, 2007 at 10:18 pmHeiae

I must say, the RX-78 homage at the beginning of the episode was mind-blowingly sexy.

• October 8, 2007 at 12:55 amHei

i think this is my 3rd comment on this blog..
    oh well i’m a gundam maniac
    people are really underestimating this show
    the character design is completely different from all the other gundams
    no “ZAKUS” all the gundam seems original besides EXIA
    which designs based off the first gundam ever made
    the main gundam is always blue/white EXIA also lacked oomph
    it seemed a bit nude… xDDD
    and than there’s virtue which packs to much oomph if you know what i mean
    also the concept of not having an engine? or something
    when the exia first arrives defeating the new AEU unit
    they comment on how it moves so well without a engine and etc.
    along with the light thing that allows flight and gives it power apparently
    it’s probably the power source of the gundams
    and of course the EXIA will be destroyed it always happen
    Wing/Strike and now EXIA
    and he’ll get some new unite like exodus or some other name that symbolizes great power
    like jesus but i cant imagine a gundam named jesus
    this is Gundam Jesus preparing for launch?

• October 8, 2007 at 12:56 amHei

also you need ALOT ALOT ALOT more screenshots next time

• October 8, 2007 at 2:01 ammanoy

• October 8, 2007 at 2:54 amMadBat

YAGA…
    Yet Another Gundam Anime
    When will this franchise be finally depleted?

• October 8, 2007 at 11:43 amSritker

• October 8, 2007 at 11:44 amstriker

• October 8, 2007 at 12:39 pmKazuhide Aeiji

Hrm…being a long time Gundam fan, I’m not sure what to expect anymore since I was disappointed in the Gundam Seed series. It’s got a good propelling plot and full of political intrigue as most of Gundam has been. I guess it’s too early to judge anything now. But alas, my anime void needs to be filled with something. (Darker than Black ended and Lucky Star ended…so why not).

• October 8, 2007 at 4:45 pmKureejii

So I finally got a chance to watch the whole episode.

It reminded me of Gundam Wing a little. Yet it was different. Though personally, I prefered the first episodes of the Seed series. But I’m going to keep watching because the character design is pretty 0.0,

• October 8, 2007 at 6:23 pmwhat?

Who is this chick? http://randomc.net/image/Gundam%2000/Gundam%2000%20-%2001%20-%20Large%20Preview%2001.jpg

I have a feeling she will be the one to end up with setsuna

• October 8, 2007 at 6:57 pmHei

5th post :]
    just pointing out that Setsuna needs more lines
    since i’m infatuated with Miyano Mamoru

• October 8, 2007 at 10:15 pmjzer0

Total number of obliterated mobile suits: only 1 (by Virtue’s beam cannon).

The rest were disabled.

• October 9, 2007 at 12:27 ammeromero

I liked the OP, wasn’t that great compared to other Laruku songs but was still good (and I’m quite a fangirl of them! XD). Didn’t like the ED, though. Btw, when Setsuna said “God doesn’t exist in this world” I imagined him saying “I’ll became the new one!” *insert Light’s evil laugh* ROFL! And I’m loving those character designs, they are so pretty!

• October 9, 2007 at 6:55 amraimaru2880

Not bad though. Nice touch on the animation… Thumbs up! I think this one has a big potential about the size of that of Seed…

• October 9, 2007 at 7:04 amghostgundam

It’s kinda refreshing to have a pilot that has actually been on the battlefield before, luckily it wont turn out like wing, which kinda did the same thing.

I enjoy the OP and ED, and the animation but the characters need to seriously get some sort of emotions or backstory very VERY soon, as i found it hard to attach to the characters this ep.

• October 9, 2007 at 11:52 amModelX

Pretty awesome ep 01. I kinda like the vocals during the fight scenes. Kinda reminds me of Gundam Wing.

• October 9, 2007 at 12:02 pmkai_yukari

The animation was great, but I agree that for a debut episode its lacking in impact. I personally like GSeed because of the plot twists but the formula became stale to me when it was poorly & frustratingly executed in GSDestiny. Anyway, maybe I had too high expectations and they weren’t met although there’s still more to see since it’s just the initial episode. I’m gonna be expecting something better, storywise….and yeah Setsuna reminds me of Sousuke Sagara w/ a Gundam, LOL.

• October 9, 2007 at 12:32 pmNeko

If you want to compare Setsuna to a past Gundam pilot I would def have to say his attitude and cold almost machine like speech reminds me of Hiro from Wing.. they almost have that same shell shoked feeling.

Wang Liu Mei with that killer dress reminded me a lot of Lyn Minmei from the Robotech saga when she was dressed similarly.

• October 9, 2007 at 1:03 pmShinigami

promising

• October 9, 2007 at 10:24 pmGravMech

Finally able to watch it with decent subs. From my limited experience as a Gundam Fan [I only was able to watch Wing, Seed and Destiny] this was one of the better begginings, I really like the “I’ll kick the world’s ass with my superior technololgy” theme.

Does anyone think that the names “Exia” & “Kyrios” are extremely sexy, really made my hairs stand on end when the Chinese babe said “Kyrios”! O.o

• October 10, 2007 at 2:34 amSetsuna—–

Freedom and Justice is an upgraded MS,so it’s not fair to compare it to Exia..
    Wait until half of the season,and you might see the “god” ms …..

• October 10, 2007 at 10:51 amGravMech

What are the chances of a Gundam having at least its nickname being “Double O”?

With Gundam Seed the series was named after a special ability. Maybe a Double O mode, Double O System or Double O syndrome…

After re-watching the 1st Ep two more times the name “Kyrios” isn’t so sexy anymore. Maybe after seeing a scene where the Pretty Chinese Girl say “Exia” I might just have another “Mind-gasm”.

I think I might be a pioneer in a new kind of fetish!

• October 10, 2007 at 12:25 pmUnknown Voice

@GravMech
    It wouldbe too similar to wing, with “zero system”… so i doubt its “double zero system” or “syndrome”.

It can for sure be allusion to nothingness, or the model name of some godly gundam to come…(u know.. blablabla-00, marking that it is very first of its model)

• October 11, 2007 at 10:40 amBob

Thank god a new gundam series that did not take there time copying everything from past shows! SEED/Destiny was a low for the Gundam series and this should be positive!

• October 12, 2007 at 10:14 amUKNOWN…..

OMG!!!!AWESOME DUDE!!!! i heard dat in Brunei…sumone design his own gundam n called it the RedeemerXV Gundam n the another guy in Brunei is the AvengerZEOX Gundam…i wanna c how it luk lyk..my couzen told me they design it really GOOD!!!!WOW!!!

• October 13, 2007 at 10:43 pmKaioshin Sama

People should probably know that the character they happen to be praising so much has the same name as the much despised Kaioshin Sama. That’s right, I am going to kick the Exia’s ass and get my own Gundam. It’s always been a dream of mine to pilot a Gundam.

• October 14, 2007 at 5:25 amandynai

i sure as hell hope this won’t lean towards the likes of the “?seed?” and wing series. other than that, hope this series brings me back to the world of gundam like it once did back in the days. =) *cheers*

• October 24, 2007 at 10:48 amGunshin

I am still on the fence about this one. There are parts I like and parts I don’t. It seems like the writter is a bit scattered. Like when the blond guy attacks the Exia after the second battle, he kinda flys in, I will test you…you beat me bye!! I have to give it a couple more episodes before I decide. I don;t see why everyone is so big on the openiong and ending music, I really could care less.

• November 13, 2007 at 8:53 amSai

Is there a way to email you guys?

• January 4, 2008 at 7:22 amJOEL PEREZ

setsuna f. seiei love arika yumemiya angel i will help you setsuna f. seiei ok light of gundam exia JOEL PEREZ TRANSFORM INTO setsuna f. seiei body for JOEL PEREZ GUNDAM 00 LIKE MAI OTOME GOOD GUNDAM 00 LOVE MAI OTOME 4 GUNDAM MEISTERS LIKE MAI OTOME ARIKA AND SETSUNA LOCKON AND SHIZURU NINA AND TIERIA ALLELUJAH AND NATSUKI GOOD GUY JANUARY 5 2008 BY SUNRISE SONG OF GUNDAM 00 dream wing and daybreak bell thanks you

• April 16, 2008 at 5:45 amInitial G!

I love the opening and closing. I hate people who love only those poppy anime openings. A J-pop opening for 00? Get Serious! IT DOESN’T FIT!

btw I AM GUNDAM!

• July 15, 2008 at 4:54 amBobo

Dont really like this anime style but i really do like the new designs of the cockpits.

• August 25, 2008 at 3:38 pmluke

great show… unlike other gundam movies, it is short and interesting.. full with action… and the story is not too long which will result in boring

• October 27, 2008 at 9:51 pmAdrian

awesome mobile suits. quite different compared to the first gundams i have seen. would this be okay for the other gundam fans who have already watched gundam since it started? i mean, yes its called gundam but the new look of the gundam exia will be a topic for them.

• June 3, 2009 at 1:53 amChao-Chen (Jack) Lin

Many people compare Gundam 00 as to the Modern Version of Gundam 00, which I quite agree. With lots of competing power blocks and lots of ultra-modern Mobile Suits, it really has a slow but a good start.

• « Older Comments