CLANNAD – 20 »« CLANNAD – 18

CLANNAD   19   13 CLANNAD   19   14 CLANNAD   19   15
CLANNAD   19   16 CLANNAD   19   17 CLANNAD   19   18
CLANNAD   19   19 CLANNAD   19   20 CLANNAD   19   21
CLANNAD   19   22 CLANNAD   19   23 CLANNAD   19   24
CLANNAD   19   25 CLANNAD   19   26 CLANNAD   19   27
CLANNAD   19   28 CLANNAD   19   29 CLANNAD   19   30

Summary:

With a majority vote, Tomoyo and the student council decide to let Koumura be the adviser for both the choir club and the drama club. Nagisa is grateful for everyone’s help in officially establishing the drama club, though Tomoya reminds them that they can’t relax because they want to be a part of the upcoming school festival. In the meantime, he has some troubles of his own in the form of his teacher wanting to visit his home to talk with his father about his future plans. His teacher tells Tomoya to wait in the faculty room while he gets ready, but Tomoya instead tries to run away. Nagisa goes after him, and after she hears an announcement over the PA system calling for Tomoya, she drags him back to the faculty room. His teacher is amused at the fact that a girl can control Tomoya and invites Nagisa to come with them, but she can’t go because she has stuff to do with Koumura. When they arrive at the Okazaki home, Tomoya’s father isn’t around, and the teacher decides to wait, much to Tomoya’s dismay. Tomoya uses the opportunity to run off under the pretense that he’s going to search for his father, but he doesn’t get very far before running into Nagisa again. It seems that Koumura couldn’t meet with her, so she was bringing Tomoya his bag, and she makes him walk back to his house with her.

As he turns the corner near his house, Tomoya realizes that his father has returned and is now talking with his teacher. Tomoya’s father is in the process of saying that Tomoya’s future plans are for Tomoya to decide and that this isn’t something he should butt in on. Tomoya interprets this as his father not seeing him as a son, and he tells Nagisa that his father has acted this way ever since the argument that ended up with Tomoya hurting his shoulder. The two of them live under the same roof, but Tomoya feels that they haven’t been family for a long time. As a result of this, Nagisa offers to let Tomoya stay at her house because she thinks that some distance between him and his father will make them realize how lonely it is without each other. Tomoya agrees to the idea, and as he packs his bags, he thinks that he probably won’t ever return home again. He tries to wake his sleeping father to tell him that he’s leaving, and though his father doesn’t immediately get up, he manages to do so by the time Tomoya is ready to step out of the door. When Tomoya claims that he’s going to stay with a friend and doesn’t know when he’ll be back, his father says that he’ll be lonely without Tomoya, but Tomoya leaves anyway.

At the Furukawa bakery, Nagisa’s father acts like he didn’t know that Tomoya was coming to stay with them, though he eventually admits that he did after Nagisa’s mother warmly greets Tomoya. Being treated as part of the family and living a normal life here takes some getting used to for Tomoya, especially when Nagisa makes him say ittekimasu to both her parents when he leaves for school in the morning. Along the way to school, Nagisa admits that it’s thanks to Tomoya that she’s more confident, and she vows to work her hardest from now until the school festival. Later that day, Koumura shows everyone in the drama club all the stuff they have to coordinate in order to pull off a play, including costumes, lighting, and sound. The problem is that although Nagisa knows what kind of play she wants to do, she doesn’t yet know which one specifically. When she and Tomoya return to the bakery after school, they find a bunch of kids there for what turns out to be the cram school that Sanae teaches. Tomoya ends up asking Akio about it while he helps out with the bakery, and Akio reveals that Sanae used to be a junior high school teacher. Akio, however, is vague about why she stopped teaching.

That night, Nagisa pays a visit to Tomoya’s room, and the two talk about how it feels strange to each of them that he’s staying here. For Tomoya, it centers around how he never got to know his mother and has a strained relationship with his father, so he’s not used to seeing a family that gets along so well. Nagisa concedes that her parents really do cherish her, but she also notes that she thinks that there’s something she hasn’t apologized to them for. Though she doesn’t know what it was, she thinks that she did something terrible to her parents, and she wants to know what they’re not telling her so that she can apologize to them for it. In any case, Tomoya then decides to go pay a visit to Sunohara, and his friend is shocked to find out that Tomoya is now living with Nagisa. Sunohara takes it as a sign that Nagisa’s parents approve of Tomoya, and he can’t believe that Tomoya still insists that he doesn’t have that kind of relationship with Nagisa. Meanwhile, in the other world, the robot has gathered more junk so that he can create another doll. The girl who’s with him thinks that he wants a friend and apologizes because she realizes that he’s lonely by himself. The robot explains that the actual reason is that he thinks that if he can increase the number of existences like his, then things would be more fun. Picking up one of the pieces, the girl suggests that they try even if it might turn out to be useless.

Preview:

CLANNAD   19   Preview 01 CLANNAD   19   Preview 02 CLANNAD   19   Preview 03

The first thing I noticed about this episode is that there was a ton more distance shots than usual. The overall animation quality wasn’t horrible or anything, but it’s not like KyoAni to need to cut back on animation budget. I just hope it’s not an indicator of things to come. As for the story, if there were still any doubts, this episode confirmed that we’re now past Kyou/Ryou and Tomoyo since none of them played any significant role here. It looks like the episodes from now on will focus solely on Tomoya and Nagisa, especially now that Tomoya has moved in with her family.

Speaking of which, the latest TV schedule listings have revealed that there are only three more regular episodes left before an extra summer vacation chapter as the finale. That sheds a little more light onto the brevity of Kyou/Ryou and Tomoyo’s stories, and it means that they’re probably only going to have time to cover the important plot stuff in the remaining episodes like Tomoya’s relationship with his father and Nagisa’s past, the latter of which is the topic of next week. However, the main thing I’m still curious about is how the robot stuff ties in to the normal story…

February 28, 2008 at 3:22 pm
  • March 1, 2008 at 1:15 amAnnalee

I love clannad did episode 19 already come out (with subtitles) if so I need to watch it

• March 1, 2008 at 1:21 amninomiya

sunohara’s expressions at the end of the episode look just like akira’s from lucky star.

• March 1, 2008 at 2:07 amConvael

Anyone who hasn’t played the game who wants to shouldn’t open this spoiler-
    @FlameStrike

Kyou was my favorite before playing the visual novel, then Tomoyo became my favorite easily after playing it. The only thing I’d say that could have been added to the anime to make Kyou better is if she made more of her unrealistically brutal threats to Tomoya… those always made me laugh.

• March 1, 2008 at 2:36 amanon

nagisa was full of MOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE KAWAII DESU

also, 3 more ep? fuck that, that isn’t even a full season wtf kyoani

• March 1, 2008 at 2:38 amanon

btw this and the anon above this one is a different anon

• March 1, 2008 at 3:41 amjubeihimura

Man some people really need to play the game to understand this story. Here is a simple heads up. Clannad is a story about Tomoya, how his happy life gets destroyed thanks to a incident (actually it’s 2 incidents, he nearly recovers from the first before the 2nd happen). He is that robot you saw in the beginning and the other females arcs are his path of redemption to get back what he lost. If you read through the line you will know exactly what has happened and why KyoAni chose this arc at it’s main. Think of it as Hercules 12 task of redemption.

• March 1, 2008 at 4:52 amewok

Wasnt “Love Hina” Narusegawa original trndsetter for antennae?

• March 1, 2008 at 7:56 amayame

I can’t understand why does everyone hate to see Nagisa and Tomoya together XD Kyou and Tomoyo might be awesome characters (specially Kyou, lol she rocks XD) but i don’t really think they would do a good pair with Tomoya xD (well i’ve never played the original game of clannad before, maybe that’s why i’m so happy to see Nagisa and Tomoya together).

Anyways, can’t wait for the next ep! ^^

• March 1, 2008 at 8:08 amsetsuna f. seiei

at last… i have just watched 19.. much awaited..

its now leading to conclusions that tomoya is going for nagisa… :)
    nagisa’s so cute in this episode… although some shots are bad… especially distance shots when theyre running… sigh…

i just barely undrstand the part when sunohara’s talking to tomoya about nagisa being that sad??? hmmmm …

anyway, can’t wait for the next episode to be subbed,,,

hey… it not that there are pnly 3 episodes to come.. its just that… before summer chapter to come.. there are only 3 remaining episodes… am i right?

• March 1, 2008 at 9:35 amanon

“But Kyou’s route just being plain bad? I know the beginning with the lunch scenes were quite boring, but this is pretty much an opinion difference. I think it was an awesome route, and everything except Nagisa’s route (Which I haven’t touched yet)pales in comparison. Yes, even Tomoyo’s. If you think Kyou’s route is bad, tell us YOU THINK Kyou’s route is bad rather than saying it IS bad.”

Analyze it unbiasedly. It IS a bad route compared to the others. Just because Kyou is an awesome character, it doesn’t mean she has a great route. It has a few great scenes, but that doesnt save the whole route from failing.

• March 1, 2008 at 10:52 amlinkthe2nd

Uh no, you and some others think it’s a worse route compared to others, but I for one liked it much better than most of the other routes, whether I liked the character or not. Tomoyo was actually my favorite character before playing the game, but after I played both their routes, I came to like Kyou better. It was a painstakingly slow route, but all of it added to the feeling.

I don’t see how this kind of route is bad in any way. It had great character development, great use of secondary characters and had a huge build up. My respect went up for Sunohara especially. His character totally changed, and his serious side came up. He didn’t stop from throwing in funny comments like “And by the way…. You’re so lucky to be worrying about these things!!!”

• March 1, 2008 at 11:04 amFlameStrike

@linkthe2nd Well everyone’s entitled to their opinion. I didn’t think the route was “just plain bad” I just thought it was worse then others for a vareity of reasons. I guess one thing was that I couldn’t get into the whole “Feeling Tomoya’s pain thing” to me it was kind of annoying to see him go SLASH A STAB OF PAIN HITS ME AS I KISS RYOU T.T IS IT GUILT!?!? I was expecting lots of Kyou awesomeness but instead there was almost more Ryou then Kyou. It’s not that I don’t like Ryou, but all her EH UM EHHH?!’s got annoying. She’s alot more shy then Nagisa. Also I had a hard time seeing how Kyou x Tomoya ended up developing. I’m not too much of a fan of the love triangle things either where girl A sets up girl B to get together with a guy but girl A likes the guy too.

One reason I liked the Tomoyo route best besides her awesome personality was that I could really connect with the feelings of the charaters during the route. I could understand why they broke up but it was still really sad. Also Tomoyo and Tomoya had great chemistry/development for them getting togheter which I couldn’t see as much in Kyou’s route.

Well to each their own I guess. I’m not saying you have to dislike to Kyou route, just putting in my 2 cents on why I didn’t like it.

• March 1, 2008 at 11:08 amlinkthe2nd

Sure, you can dislike Kyou’s route, it’s simply a matter of opinion, but that ‘anon’ guy wants to tell us otherwise that it’s ‘just plain bad’ and the route ‘failed’. I walked into it expecting happy romance and stuff too, but was quite surprised with everything. Which was good for me.

• March 1, 2008 at 11:30 amanon

“I don’t see how this kind of route is bad in any way. ”

Main heroine herself doesn’t show up 60% of the route.

“It had great character development”

If you mean by Ryou, then yes, she did develop a bit. And of course, there’s Tomoya, who went from, sarcastic lead to generic indecisive harem male.

“great use of secondary characters”

Not really. Sunohara was only visible at key points of the route, he was not used as good as you think.

“had a huge build up”

Which was uneeded.

“My respect went up for Sunohara especially. His character totally changed, and his serious side came up.”

Sunohara’s character changed? He never changed in this route.

• March 1, 2008 at 12:08 pmlinkthe2nd

Nagisa
    Fuko
    Kotomi
    Kyou
    Tomoyo

And no, I don’t mean just Ryou. Kyou had great development as well, in case you haven’t really even tried playing the game or reading my summary. Sunohara played quite a major role in this route, and his character may not have changed, but at some point, there was a completely different side of him that was shown.

It feels like I’m talking to a brick wall here, there really was nothing bad about this route, and it sure as hell was not a failure.

• March 1, 2008 at 12:26 pmanon

“Nagisa in the game was a very major character, but there were five main characters in the game, whether you accept them or not.
    Nagisa
    Fuko
    Kotomi
    Kyou
    Tomoyo”

I dont see why you’re bringing this up. Since everyone knows that Clannad has 5 main heroines.

“Sunohara played quite a major role in this route”

No. His role was very minor. All he did was point out something for Tomoya to realize. A key point, yes, but his role is still minor.

“there really was nothing bad about this route, and it sure as hell was not a failure.”

• March 1, 2008 at 1:56 pmlinkthe2nd

If I’m misunderstanding, I’m sorry. If you mean how Kyou didn’t show up 60% of the time, then you’re totally missing it.Show Spoiler ▼

• March 1, 2008 at 3:09 pmsolgae

I think the reason why people are saying Kyou’s route is bad is because of how her own route lacks the impact that the other route can offer. Kyou/Ryou’s route is not that bad, but it is the weakest route IN THE GAME because of its romance-heavy theme. Kotomi and Fuuko had a large impact because of how their route stresses the importance of the family, which is what CLANNAD is all about. Kyou/Ryou’s route pretty much turned into a romance story that we all seen before, so the impact is much less. Kyou’s character may be a win, but the fact is, she serves far better as a supporting role in other character’s route than being a main in her own one.

To add on, Tomoyo’s route is pretty much the same as Kyou/Ryou’s route. So a girl fell in love, they go out together, then break apart, then rejoin again. When have we heard this story before? Sure, her character is pure win. No doubt. But her story is also pretty much the same generic romance story that we already seen 1209423423 times, with some family-themed part tucked that feels more like as an after thought. Plus, her route felt incomplete, which is solved by Tomoyo After, but the game did not had as much impact as CLANNAD’s after story.

I agree, however, that Tomoyo-Tomoya pairing is nearly as good as Tomoya-Nagisa pair, even though I’m all for the latter one. Both Tomoyo and Tomoya have bad histories with their respective families, after all, so there’s a lot of understandings from each other.

• March 1, 2008 at 3:27 pmConvael

@linkthe2nd
    I think its sorta obvious its Kyou hes talking about, because Nagisa is almost not inside of Kyou’s route.

Lots of people do not like Kyou’s route for obvious reasons..
    First off – Show Spoiler ▼

Second – Show Spoiler ▼

Third – Show Spoiler ▼

Fourth – Show Spoiler ▼

• March 1, 2008 at 3:51 pmanon

“I brought up the main girls because you stated that Nagisa didn’t show up for 60% of the route. Who gives a flying fuck? It’s Kyou’s route, not Nagisa’s. Kyou has her own story, so who cares if Nagisa isn’t a big part of it?”

If you know how to read between the lines, Im talking about Kyou’s route. Not Nagisa’s.

“And Sunohara DID play a big role for sure. Even if it was a short scene, there’s no way you can convince me that bridging the gap between the two and spilling the beans is a minor role. There are such things as small but major roles, and Sunohara does, in fact, play quite a major role.”

Big scene! = Big role. Know the difference.

“You seem to love to purely troll, not backing up any of your points, but simply stating your opinions like they’re facts.”

Sure, call me a troll. I guess your fanboyism makes you blind from the truth. Im stating what i’ve analyed, why dont you rebunk them instead of complaining?

• March 1, 2008 at 4:24 pmlinkthe2nd

How am I being a fanboy? I like all the characters. Unhappy that they messed up another messed up anime adaptation because of lack of proper storyboarding.

And ‘analyed’ my ass. You pick certain lines in hopes, nitpicking.

And yes, I didn’t like Ryou at all either, btw. She was quite a boring character, to me, kinda similar to Nagisa. I admit that up to May 07, it was quite boring, but afterwards, it was all good.
    Kyou cutting her hair was quite a good scene as well. Another sign of her desperation. It slightly reminded me of Sakura from Naruto, though they were under quite different circumstances. She knew Tomoya liked longer hair, but sacrificed it to show how far she was willing to take it to be with him. Might because I was half asleep from playing it until 4 am in the morning, but it woke me up and made me have an OSHIT moment. That’s the only time I actually thought Ryou was good, finally stepping aside from something impossible. I did also think that the epilogue was really sweet. The “I’ll grow my hair longer and longer so you’ll love me” was quite childish and quite Kyoulike, and I had an aww moment.
    The reason the beginning is so boring, I think, is because most of Kyou’s story happens after all the decisions are made. Most of the other characters had their relationship with Tomoya shown during the decision making phase, but I guess there would have been more three way forked decisions in the story if that happened. They had to get all the decisions and stuff out of the way, and Ryou was a giant filler. Wasn’t the best way, really.

• March 1, 2008 at 4:28 pmRembr

I have played the game, therefore your opinion on the anime is wrong. Also since you have not played the game, you are more of a fanboy than I am.

• March 1, 2008 at 6:42 pmShia-Neko-Chan

I’ve been thinking that maybe the robot and girl are symbolism?

Then again, I’ve never played the visual novel, so I’m not sure.

• March 1, 2008 at 7:01 pmConvael

@linkthe2nd
    No offense, but I really don’t get how you were a Tomoyo fan and went to a Kyou fan after playing the game… if you compare Tomoyo’s route to Kyou’s route, there’s really almost nothing that Tomoyo loses at.

Anyone wanting to play the game should not read all of these spoilers because it’ll ruin everything:
    As for character feelings and plot, we have:
    Tomoyo – Show Spoiler ▼

For storyline mainpoints – Show Spoiler ▼

Kyou – Show Spoiler ▼

For storyline Mainpoints – Show Spoiler ▼

Anyway on a side note, how many of you are gonna play the full voice version of the visual novel? I definately wanna try it out to see how much better it makes it.

• March 1, 2008 at 7:11 pmAndy

Given that CLANNAD is family based and not romance based, they would naturally shorten the romantic arcs for time on the family arcs. Fuko’s arc was longer because she was a driving force for Tomoya to start having feelings for a family, and while I do agree that the random Fuko appearences are getting annoying, her arc was more family based. Kotomi’s arc is about her family being torn apart by an accident and then having Tomoya helping her get out of depression. As for Tomoyo and Kyou, their arcs are more romance and being competition for Nagisa (And because this part is for fans of romance). As for Nagisa… We still haven’t seen her arc finish yet so why that hell are you all complaining already?

• March 1, 2008 at 7:55 pmBROOKLYN otaku

all i gotta say is that i woulda beat that little kid’s ASS if he tried doing that “kick me in the back, slick shit”.. U GOTTA SLAP PEOPLES KIDS SOMETIMES!

• March 1, 2008 at 8:24 pmanon

“And ‘analyed’ my ass. You pick certain lines in hopes, nitpicking.”

And what? Unlike you, im seeing the route as a whole, not just its greatest moments. So tell me, if Kyou’s route was so great, why did most of the route bore people?

- Hmm … lets see. A story that relies on character and not plot. Then said story must rely on the character themselves, and in that case, character chemistry and interaction is a must. Both are lacking in this route.

- Just because Kyou is an awesome character, it doesn’t mean she has a great route. It has a few great scenes, but that doesnt save the whole route from failing.”

This still stands unless you can prove it wrong otherwise.

• March 1, 2008 at 9:14 pmFlameStrike

Heh contray to link, I was a Kyou fan at first, with Tomoyo being just ahead but then I played her route and now I liked her less. For me It’s Tomoyo then very closely behined is Nagisa, then Kyou. Link was able to connect with Tomoya’s feelings about not wanting to hurt Ryou and yet wanting to be with Kyou, however I really disliked Ryou during her time and was thinking “OMG JUST REJECT HER ALREADY! I wanted MORE KYOU that’s why I played this route so whats with all this annoying Ryou!??!” and it made Tomoya seem almost like a generic harem lead that had to have sense slapped into him by Sunohara. One of the main things I was expecting from Kyou’s route was atleast a good ammount of sences involving Kyou x Tomoya awesomness or romantic build up, both of which I found lacking in Kyous own route. Infact she was more intresting in the gym storage room from Yukine’s route and in Kotomi’s route. I for one like the lunch sences alot compared to all the emo needless angst. I agree that the rain part and the hair cutting parts were great, but those 2 alone didn’t redeem the route for me.

Convael pretty much summerized the awesomeness of Tomoyo’s route and why my opinion of her went waayy up after reading her route as compared to Kyou’s route. I can’t really understand why you’d end up likeing Kyou more than Tomoyo after reading both their routes. However everyone interperts things diffrently. For example you were probabaly sympatheic to Tomoya being forced to choose while I was thinking WTF GET WITH KYOU ALREADY JEEZE, and while you could see some romantic build up between Kyou x Tomoya I thought it was really lacking.

• March 1, 2008 at 10:42 pmlinkthe2nd

“So tell me, if Kyou’s route was so great, why did most of the route bore people?”
    Because Kyou’s route never really started until all the decisions were made.
    And yes, I was definitely a fan of Tomoyo at the very start, she was a cool character, but something inexplicable made me like Kyou more after her route. I just plain liked it better.
    Anyways, I’m quite done with this. It’s like we’re looping things over and over. I will always refuse to accept that Kyou’s route was bad overall. It wasn’t.

• March 1, 2008 at 11:21 pmanon

“Because Kyou’s route never really started until all the decisions were made.”

Lol, not decent enough excuse for the failure.

• March 2, 2008 at 3:48 amFlameStrike

Hey it’s up to the person to decided if it was a fail of a route. I think it was below average and below expectations for reasons I stated above but that doesn’t mean link is forced to think the same way.

• March 2, 2008 at 4:33 amConvael

Still it’s sorta hard to believe a Tomoyo fan would become a Kyou fan after playing both of their routes… I mean really, Show Spoiler ▼

it really isn’t how many others are. Sadly, the ending for Kappei’s route moved me more than Kyou’s route did… (Kappei Route spoiler)Show Spoiler ▼

Which is kind of bad because… well… Kappei’s a guy.

• March 2, 2008 at 1:01 pmlinkthe2nd

Call me strange, but I definitely liked Kyou’s better.

• March 4, 2008 at 12:56 amFlameStrike

Oh yeah another thing I failed to mention was that to me it seemed like the Kyou route showed off a lot of Kyou’s personality traits that made her seem like a worse character to me. I’m not intending to flame or diss Kyou, just pointing out some things I observed in her route and how I interpreted them. The Kyou route had a generic and standard plot, so it was up to good execution and characters to save the day, however it seemed it failed on both accounts. Even though Kyou and Tomoya were awesome characters, they seemed to have regressed during Kyou’s route and Kyou showed a lot of her bad sides in her own route too. Even Ryou was annoying. I was a HUGE fan of Kyou (still a fan but not as much) from seeing Kyoani’s animated awesomeness of her but she failed more in her own route than in the anime.
    Like how she seemed to be a hypocrite, overlay bossy, a bit cowardly, and she was inconsiderate at times. For example she self sacrifices her love to help her sister, but wasn’t she the one that told Nagisa that if you’re too nice to everyone you’ll never get what you want? Then she goes and regrets her plan to set up Ryou with Tomoya and starts crying about it, nadeyanen? Then she was bossy and pretty much forces Tomoya to do whatever by threatening him with violence. Half of the scenes with Tomoya and Kyou were her going “DO THIS OR I’LL GRIND YOUR BONES TO DUST!!” and Tomoya seemed genuinely annoyed by it too. She was dishonest denies her feelings all the time and tries to run Tomoya over with a bike on purpose too. She friggen hit him at top speed then acts like he’s at fault. Also if you doge she hits Kappei and lets Tomoya take responsibility for it.
    In the first lunch scene where it’s just Ryou and Tomoya, Kyou forced him to eat with Ryou. When Ryou did something herself and started crying Kyou totally flipped out and started trying to kill Tomoya. I know it shows how she’s concerned about her sister but Kyou was the one who set Ryou up with Tomoya in the first place (Don’t set up your loved ones with people you don’t trust lol.). When Tomoya tires to explain the situation Kyou responds with “ARGH WHO CARES YOU JUST NEED TO BE PUNISHED” (Almost exact line). Eventually Tomoya gets it through her head and she stops her attack. I also did a few of the other choices in which you choose not to go out with Ryou. Kyou responds with brutal violence and doesn’t listen to reason at first, when Tomoya asks Kyou something along the lines of “What about my feelings?” IE: what if he doesn’t want to go out with Ryou, and she pretty much responds with OMG WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS GO OUT WITH RYOU (Tomoya talks some sense into her though)! Sheesh talk about inconsiderate about the person you like’s feelings. The whole route was also a byproduct of her bad decision making too, although the ending was good nothing was really resolved. Basically all that drama and in the end Kyou just gets together with Tomoya, if Kyou had just confessed in the first place all the pain and tears could have been avoided.…. Nothing was really concluded by the end of the route besides life going on normal if Tomoya had just chosen Kyou first. (Not possible since he clearly didn’t think of her romantically at the time Kyou forced Ryou onto him) Well I guess hiding your feelings for your significant other with violence is typical of tsundere’s but I always though of Kyou as more than just her archetype (Which defiantly she is, but it was meh to see her show such blatant tsundereness).

Then Ryou was bad in this route too. She knew her sister’s feelings for Tomoya and knew that Kyou liked Tomoya, but instead of backing down she still asked Kyou about Tomoya instead of being considerate of her sister’s feelings. Then she pretty much took advantage of how her sister backed down out of love for her and used Kyou to help her score points with Tomoya. I mean if you know your sister likes the guy you like then how would she feel if you brought her along on a date between the two of you? Also she knew about Tomoya’s feelings for Kyou too. Instead of breaking up she hung onto him and made Tomoya feel guilty so he wouldn’t break up with her. She decided to change herself to be more like Kyou to steal his heart too, is that how you show gratitude to your twin sister that helped you out so much? Well she redeemed herself in my eyes in Kappei’s route so I’m cool with Ryou.

Besides Kyou/Ryou showing their bad sides and annoying sides, Tomoya wasn’t any better. He was being pestered and annoyed by Kyou in the first half of her route, then goes all emo for her in the second half thinking about Kyou while he went out with Ryou. How did the decisive Tomoya turn into a lame harem wimp that can’t choose girls and hurts them both for half a route? Is this the same Tomoya that saw how he was negeativly-affecting Tomoyo and decided to help her get into the Student Council despite him being against it, and decided to do what he thought was best to help her achieve her dreams? Is this Tomoya the same one that helped Kotomi leave her isolated shell, and worked hard through the night doing whatever he could to restore a loved childhood memory for her even though it might be useless? The same Tomoya that worked hard helping Fuuko pass out starfish at no gain for himself, who became the one person that Yukine could depend and support herself with, the same guy who helped Mei turn Sunohara around ended up being an indecisive idiot that hurt both Ryou and Kyou at the same time while thinking “OMG EMO PAIN WHAT SHOULD I DO RYOU ISN’T KYOU?!?!?!” It was painful to read lol, he would have ended up hurting both of them even more and not making a decision if it wasn’t for Sunohara slapping some sense into him. This seemed weird, usually it’s Tomoya seeing what he should do and doing it while encouraging others.

Argh this post makes Kyou’s route seem really bad, but it’s not as bad as I described. (Was just highlighting some of the worse parts) It was an OK route and had many enjoyable scenes and it’s own share of drama, but overall I thought the characters were weaker then normal while having a sub-par plot.

• March 4, 2008 at 1:07 amMike

Do you guys ever talk about the show?

• March 5, 2008 at 3:42 amDmo

Don’t know if anyone had mentioned this already, and I don’t really feel like reading through 7 pages worth of comments; but for those who want Kyou scenes, the last hope would be that they animate a slight variation of the scene where..

• March 5, 2008 at 9:43 amapo

There are so many complaints because people were disappointed. It doesn’t matter what it’s MEANT to be (family theme). It just matters how good the story is. They could have made it good while still having a family theme.

How would they have improved it? The problem was probably the pacing, because episode 17 and 18 were really rushed, and episode 16 didn’t have much of Sunohara’s sister so you could say that arc should have been lengthened too. So the last 3 episodes just came crashing to a halt too soon for people to enjoy it.

People have said that they did as much as possible according to the game. However having a scene from the game could be animated using 10 seconds or 5 minutes. If KyoAni couldn’t draw it out long enough to have a properly paced animation, they should have made their own lines. All for the sake of making it flow.

From episode 16 to 18, it really just felt like a summary of what should have been much longer. It should have been more like all the episodes before it. They already knew how to make good episodes. They just decided to change it, thinking it looks fine to them just like the people who played the game.

• March 5, 2008 at 12:14 pmRembr

I didn’t like the pacing before. I was barely staying awake.

• March 5, 2008 at 3:11 pmConvael

@FlameStrike
    I agree with that.. Tomoya is way too different in Kyou’s route than he is in the other routes. On top of that, I really thought there would be some kind of deep reason why Kyou would sacrifice her own happiness for her sister. Like maybe when they were young, she played a prank on Ryou and hurt her really badly, or something along those lines. Then that would explain why she cares so much about her sister… but it didn’t happen.

@Dmo

@apo
    There are quite a few behind the scene modifications to make the anime move faster. First off, Ryou talks like 10x faster in the anime than she does in the game. Tomoya doesn’t have a billion lines talking to himself before going to school, while walking to school, and during class. Also, obviously tons of the scenes aren’t in, and even Kappei isn’t in, and I sort of doubt he will appear. They’re also going to end with skipping most likely a ton of side character routes such as Misae, Kappei, Yukine, and Koumura. Which sorta sucks because I think Yukine’s or Kappei’s route would be the most easily integrated into the Clannad anime’s timeline. These two routes also have the whole family theme in them, so it would have been perfect.

and just for Mike:
    Wtf was up with Akio watering the ground?

• « Older Comments