Kanokon – 03 »

Kanokon – 01

OP Sequence

Kanokon   OP   01 Kanokon   OP   02 Kanokon   OP   03
Kanokon   OP   04 Kanokon   OP   05 Kanokon   OP   06

OP: 「PHOSPHOR」 by 宮崎羽衣 (Miyazaki Ui)
Watch the OP! Mirror 1, Mirror 2

Kanokon   01   01 Kanokon   01   02 Kanokon   01   03
Kanokon   01   04 Kanokon   01   05 Kanokon   01   06
Kanokon   01   07 Kanokon   01   08 Kanokon   01   09
Kanokon   01   10 Kanokon   01   11 Kanokon   01   12
Kanokon   01   13 Kanokon   01   14 Kanokon   01   15
Kanokon   01   16 Kanokon   01   17 Kanokon   01   18
Kanokon   01   19 Kanokon   01   20 Kanokon   01   21
Kanokon   01   22 Kanokon   01   23 Kanokon   01   24
Kanokon   01   25 Kanokon   01   26 Kanokon   01   27
Kanokon   01   28 Kanokon   01   29 Kanokon   01   30
Kanokon   01   31 Kanokon   01   32 Kanokon   01   33
Kanokon   01   34 Kanokon   01   35 Kanokon   01   36

Summary:

Recent transfer student Oyamada Kouta is on his way to school one morning when he’s met by a girl named Minamoto Chizuru. She’s so happy to see him that she buries his face in her large chest, much to his embarrassment. Her rubbing her chest on his head is eventually interrupted by Kouta’s classmate Asahina Akane who yells at both of them for their indecency, but Chizuru doesn’t care and just pisses Akane off more. In class, Akane tries tell Kouta to stand up to Chizuru, however Kouta isn’t really inclined to, and their other classmates wonder why a beautiful person like Chizuru has been sticking to Kouta like this. They also wonder why Akane is so concerned about Kouta, so Akane tries to justify it by saying that she cares as the class representative. Chizuru meanwhile gets stopped by one of the teachers – a man named Yatsuka who comments on how much she’s sticking to Kouta and seems to know her secret. He also questions her about a previous incident, but she claims to know nothing about it.

During lunchtime, Kouta has a hard time buying bread amongst the crowd of students and gets a handout from Chizuru’s little brother Tayura. When Chizuru finds them, she opens her shirt and pulls out a letter for Kouta – a love letter. In it, she asks to meet him in the music room, and reading this reminds Kouta of a similar letter she had written him back when they first met. Back then, she had said that she wanted him and kissed him as soon as he entered the room, but in the process of doing so, her hair turned golden and she sprouted a tail and a pair of fox ears. She had tried to say that it was just cosplay, but Kouta didn’t believe her, so she eventually admitted that she was a kitsune. Chizuru felt ashamed of being non-human, and had told Kouta that if he was afraid to come to school now because of this, then he could tell everyone her secret. She had then started to cry, but when Kouta had said that he thought she was beautiful, her mood brightened, and she pushed him onto the floor.

Chizuru was so happy that she started to take off Kouta’s clothes because she wanted to take their relationship to the next level, however before she could actually do anything to him, Tayura interrupted them. Tayura was concerned to see his sister in her true form with a human, but Chizuru didn’t care as long as she and Kouta loved one another. This didn’t placate Tayura though, and he explained to Kouta that humans and youkai live in different worlds. In response to this, Chizuru decided to show her little brother how much she and Kouta loved one another, so she kissed Kouta and disappeared in a flash of light. Though Chizuru was physically gone, Kouta discovered that he could now hear her voice in his head. What’s more, he now had fox ears and a tail, and Chizuru briefly took over his body to prove to Tayura that their hearts were open to each other. Unconvinced, Tayura wanted to test this with a show of power, so Chizuru created a giant ball of energy and blasted him with it. The ensuing explosion blew a hole in the side of the school building and knocked Tayura out. Afterwards, Chizuru separated from Kouta and explained that their power gets stronger the stronger the connection between them is.

These are all part of Kouta’s memories as he now stares out the hole that’s still in the side of the music room. When Chizuru then appears, she wants to continue what they started before and pushes him back onto the floor.

ED Sequence

Kanokon   ED   01 Kanokon   ED   02 Kanokon   ED   03

ED: 「恋の炎」 (Koi no Honoo) by 榊原ゆい (Sakakibara Yui)
Watch the ED!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2
Both the opening and ending songs sound pretty average to me – nothing too special, but not bad either. If I had to choose, I’d say I like the ED a little more, at least until it reaches the chorus part.

So if there were a competition between this show and To Love-Ru over the most risqué content, I think To Love-Ru wins out, mainly because of its OP. Nevertheless, Kanokon delivers what all the promotional material promised, and that’s something like one part comedy, one part plot, and three parts fanservice (pretty much all of it Chizuru). What sticks out in my mind was the opening kiss Chizuru gave Kouta and the drip of saliva, but that entire scene was very sexually charged.

If there were one good reason to watch Kanokon (and as I mentioned in my spring preview, why I watched this first episode), it’s to hear Noto Mamiko do her shota voice opposite Kawasumi Ayako. In that regard, I enjoyed the first episode. Still, that can only carry the show so far, and while there are some hints that the plot involving the divide between all the youkai and the humans at the school could get more interesting, I just don’t really see this show really going anywhere. Basically, short of a really impressive second episode, I probably won’t follow it anymore (especially if Druaga ends up being a solid Friday show).

April 5, 2008 at 12:55 am
  • April 5, 2008 at 1:01 amKahiry

waa!!!! Sugoi!
    I want to see it!!

• April 5, 2008 at 1:06 amDmo

Tayura’s personality gets twisted in the anime, in the manga he was much more to himself, hated Shouta (because Tayura himself likes Chizuru), and wouldn’t want anything to do with Asahina.

To Love-Ru > Kanokon

• April 5, 2008 at 1:14 amrreggie

man it looks pretty good, if anything i bet it turns out better than the first season of rosario to vampire…..

• April 5, 2008 at 1:20 ammosafzaia

moar fanservice!!! me like it very much! fap fap fap~

• April 5, 2008 at 1:27 amGo!

lol I was waiting for this to show up on RC. The lunch scene and the twins scene was funny. Male lead is so tiny. lol I need a relaxing show after watching super serious R2. I might put this in that slot.

• April 5, 2008 at 1:34 amnj_neto

Oh! GOODJOB!!! d>_

• April 5, 2008 at 1:38 amionartemis

to-love-ru > kanokon

• April 5, 2008 at 1:45 amGil

Weird, but I like.

• April 5, 2008 at 1:50 amclipz

plz add to love aru if u aren’t going to add kanokon so that site get some shows that got fanservice. it’s always fun to have a fanservice series getting blog once every season.

• April 5, 2008 at 1:54 amLuke

To Love-Ru for the winz!

• April 5, 2008 at 1:58 amhappy

I like kanokon better I think to love-ru is being noticed because of the op but i like both of them.

• April 5, 2008 at 2:02 amLeviahan

To-Love-Ru seems a bit better than this…
    Even thou the red heads are hot…
    WTF with the furry and shota crap :O

• April 5, 2008 at 2:12 amGil

So what’s significant about their “fusion”?

Kid looks like’s ready for Halloween in that get-up. :D

• April 5, 2008 at 2:43 amAlien

We were soldiers.

• April 5, 2008 at 3:26 amUnknown Voice

Hm…Nothing interesting in those one, just as i thought. I did not really like the animation style and the overly-ecchi character designs. Main being a wuss just added up to all the cliches.
    Overall: FAIL
    Won’t watch next ep.

• April 5, 2008 at 3:27 amAndi

honestly i think geass has enough fanservice. things like this are just stupid to me.

but hey, i’m not a guy.

• April 5, 2008 at 3:38 amAnotheronebitesthedust

furries ^^ well : to-love-ru vs kanokon…demon fox vs demon girl..school boobies vs…moar school boobies.

and for our mental grave – Rosario + vampire Season 2 (anime, manga season 2+3) and season 2 (manga)–> braindead

• April 5, 2008 at 5:03 amForum Police

FFS whats with all this fans service trash that we are getting. I dunno about you but its getting ridiculous…

• April 5, 2008 at 5:09 amDeathclock

Oh gawd ! I love this =D

• April 5, 2008 at 6:00 amdivine|s

Kanokon was unsurprisingly ecchi, but surprisingly entertaining. As Omni already pointed out, Noto Mamiko and Kawasumi Ayako are the main appeals of this show if you know your seiyuus.

As for what’s in store, I translated some episode titles for ANN which you can find here. Mmm, looks like things are going to get ecchi-er (and hopefully more humorous) in the upcoming weeks.

• April 5, 2008 at 6:02 amKiraTakuto

Ayako Kawasumi as the love interest of a male Noto Mamiko again (Girl’s Bravo)

• April 5, 2008 at 6:12 amdivine|s

@KiraTakuto:

Yes, yes she is… and I’m somewhat looking forward to it. Kanokon was much more entertaining than both Amatsuki and Itazura na Kiss. The latter, much to my disappointment. :(

• April 5, 2008 at 6:31 amNikkon

Nice nice, very entertain and good character design, i like these kind of comedy expecially with tailed neko-kitsune goddess. :)

• April 5, 2008 at 9:16 amdan

I can understand the fanservice, but why is it always that the main character looks like he is a little kid?

This guy looks like he still pisses and shits himself. He probably stopped watching Transformers a few weeks ago.

Seriously what the fuck is up with making main lead male characters seem 10?

• April 5, 2008 at 9:24 amKoji

I’m not usually one for ecchi shows… but the Kanokon manga was really interesting to me… Glad to see the anime director can take a good manga and F it up royally. I figured things would get shuffled around to introduce all the characters quicker (the wolf girl doesn’t even get introduced till volume 3 of the manga for instance)… but this isn’t just trying to rush all the characters in, but completely changing 2 important side character’s personalities. Why? Why screw with something that works? Why take out some of the story’s complexities and turn it completely into just a fanservice show? -sighs- I’ll give it another episode or two… but it looks like I’m going to have to stick with the manga if I want full enjoyment.

• April 5, 2008 at 9:50 amShinForNoe!

heh… too much fan service… my mam was walking by when i went on this site and this came up… now she thinks im watching stuff…. ¬_¬ … *sigh*

• April 5, 2008 at 10:01 amJayars

I’ve seen Mamiko Noto as a girl-fearing shota and Ayako Kawasumi as a naive girl in Girls Bravo, and that was great. Now we have Mamiko Noto as a (not-so-much) girl-fearing shota (though still easily embarassed), and Ayako Kawasumi as a super ecchi girl with super powers (super-spirit-flame-thrower and body-merge) and a weird temper… all I can say is… KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ahem… anyway, entertainment-wise, I still think To-Love-Ru was much more hilarious, though Kanokon ain’t bad either. Wonder if the story was like this in the manga though… but in any case, another great fanservice-y anime for the season. Will be following Trouble for the hilarity, and Kanokon for the seiyuus. Each time I watch an Ayako Kawasumi series, she’d never failed to impress me (even in shows like Kaibutsu Hime).

Let the heavens rumble and the earth quake, my (or our) prayers for fanservice have been answered.

• April 5, 2008 at 10:23 amstrawberryheaven

Well, it looks just like the volume 1 of the manga..it will start with a lot of fanservice, but calm down after a while. The plot gets good even listening to the drama cd.

Looking forward to it! =3

• April 5, 2008 at 10:40 amgyu

i see that OMNI AND PATRICK HATES ANIMES WITH ECCHI-SCHOOL-COMEDY-ROMANCE ANIMES!!….

I have seen druaga, and is a big SHiT, how can you love more druaga than this…

• April 5, 2008 at 12:17 pmGil

I think it’s lame that Chizuru just suddenly gets attached to him.

Whereas Rito in To-Love-Ru actually did something heroic to get Lala’s attention, though the sad thing is that he doesn’t like her.

• April 5, 2008 at 12:42 pmWindspirit

No nipples = fail.

• April 5, 2008 at 1:06 pmuiry giliams

another h-type anime hu! as always

• April 5, 2008 at 1:22 pmStory

Ah, this looks way too fan-service-y for my tastes…at least the character designs are cute…

• April 5, 2008 at 2:03 pmKura

Pic 10′s scar face man looks like the Mermaid Father from Seto no Hanayome!!

• April 5, 2008 at 2:18 pmtokko

Wowwww new seriess and yay more fanservice :D

• April 5, 2008 at 2:25 pmKaioshin Sama

Jeez Louise, it’s got more blinding lighting effects then the average Kyoani show. I can barely make out what I’m supposed to be looking at in some scenes because of all the bright yellow and orange.

• April 5, 2008 at 5:33 pmniwa

Yay for MamixKawasumin. lol

• April 5, 2008 at 5:38 pmSteven Den Beste

What’s with the energy bolts? And was that the wussy guy turned into a doggy-guy?

• April 5, 2008 at 6:07 pmMEE

LOOOL looks good >=) HAHAH

• April 5, 2008 at 7:29 pmmystery

just a shit !!! maybe the shit is better ,

• April 5, 2008 at 8:53 pmNicole

Oh why. Dx

Am I the only one that thinks her chest looks like a nutsack in this picture. Not sexy.

• April 5, 2008 at 10:46 pmDragoneye

I love… C.S.L.

• April 6, 2008 at 12:47 ammysterious

the fan service is well…. just hope that it will stay in my tolerant limit and have some story plot. I stop watching rosari in ep1, hope this wont repeat the history again.

• April 6, 2008 at 12:56 amGod~knows

I believe everybody has a right to pursue happiness and the people dissing this anime while others are enjoying it is simply appaling.Step off and just enjoy the show.Since when has fanservice been a bad thing when done right?

• April 6, 2008 at 2:54 amWizzerd

OMFG ME LIKEY!!!

• April 6, 2008 at 3:03 amRes

after seeing the first ep of this, i can finally confirm… i’m beginning to lose faith in the anime world…

• April 6, 2008 at 10:54 amRyunatta

her tail looks distorted compared to Horo’s…

• April 6, 2008 at 12:54 pmHudson

I’ve got one word for this anime…. MOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

• April 6, 2008 at 1:32 pmkamina

I agree with God~knows

this anime ain’t all that bad after watching the first ep…

Oh…and why is it that To Love-Ru > Kanokon? I find them both good.

• April 6, 2008 at 2:46 pmmysterious

@kamina : it depend on ur taste that is all xd. Like some like drama, others like comedy, and it applys for echi too. Like how u want the echi paly out and at what scale, etc

• April 6, 2008 at 3:47 pmluches

as I expected..I enjoyed the first ep alot and I’m gonna follow it till the end….well i have always been a fan of ecchi anime but seems they overdid it abit in this anime..though that made mae like it more..

• April 6, 2008 at 5:02 pmMike

not sure I’ll be able to make it to a second episode. I mean, I didn’t expect much but frankly to opener of To Love-Ru makes it look more interesting, or at least a little more stylish. But I guess I’m not exactly a huge fan of the genre, I prefer it when they make me work for my panty-shots a little more.

• April 7, 2008 at 12:34 amnapen

the aura of fanservice

• April 7, 2008 at 1:59 amMatroid

There is a difference between cheap laugh and just being cheap. Tower of Druuga is cheap laugh. Kanokon is just cheap– really cheap. Like Kanokon, Rosario from the January, 2008 season is also a comical ecchi on the relationship between monsters and humans. But Rosario was much less repulsive and even funny at times. In contrast, I can see little potential in Kanokon.

• April 7, 2008 at 10:07 amJAm1

I like it, it’s quite entertaining, you just need to turn your brain level to minimum to enjoy this fully. =p

• April 8, 2008 at 3:49 amdarkkodiak

All I got to say is wow, wish I was that guy haha. Jokes aside, I’ll probably give this a few more episodes but I can’t see myself watching this to the end but who knows, a few months from now I might actually go back and say why did I drop this but then again maybe not. This show isn’t all that bad, it’s pretty entertaining and it does look like it will have a plot or I could just be hoping haha. Anyways, not bad, not good, only fans of this type of show will truly enjoy it.

• April 8, 2008 at 9:09 amEddie

This anime is fantastic, i dont care if it’s fan service i love it!!!

• April 9, 2008 at 2:50 amBrent

lol they were French kissing…

By the way… how old is that guy anyway? 12?

• April 9, 2008 at 5:26 pmMiraje

I love this show!! >.

• April 11, 2008 at 2:21 pmNetstryke

Isn’t it supposed to be the boy who is the ecchi one? You go Chizuru, you foxy girl, you!

• April 22, 2008 at 11:30 amTomino

Thanks for the screenshots. These saved me from unwittingly watching this foul furry trash.

• June 11, 2008 at 8:59 pmfiago

i watched the first three episodes and skimmed the first 7 chapters.
    i read rosario and to-love-ru, and even though i am very fond of chizurus character design…it is not enough to keep me watching this anime o.o it so ecchi,it kinda bothers me….and i can handle a decent amount of ecchi.the end of episode 3 was the dealbreaker for me.its like watching softcore o.o
    it isnt very often that i feel guilty reading/watching ANY series,but this one does it.
    at least rosario has a storyline….to love ru kinda does as well. konakon??? no real storyline.i thought something cool and meaningful was gonna happen post-fusion,but it was all a lie >:I
    the character design and dekapai lured me in,the spanking in the science class made me leave @_@

• January 4, 2009 at 3:41 amIce

Wow your summary is awesome. I have started to writing as well but your standards are certainly much higher!!!

• April 6, 2009 at 4:41 pmcabeza

muy buena serie.me he reido mucho..diria que me hice re fan!
    veanla!
    saludos desde argentina!

• February 22, 2010 at 9:37 pmYahoouj

Really good work about this website was done. Keep trying more – thanks!