Bleach – 167 »« Bleach – 165

Bleach   166   10 Bleach   166   11 Bleach   166   12
Bleach   166   13 Bleach   166   14 Bleach   166   15
Bleach   166   16 Bleach   166   17 Bleach   166   18
Bleach   166   19 Bleach   166   20 Bleach   166   21
Bleach   166   22 Bleach   166   23 Bleach   166   24
Bleach   166   25 Bleach   166   26 Bleach   166   27

Summary:

When Ichigo sees that Inoue appears scared when he has his mask on, he tells her not to worry and promises to end things quickly. Grimmjow, on the other hand, is ecstatic to see the mask and immediately releases his zanpaktou. This changes his body into a more feline look, and he quickly gets to work beating Ichigo up. Ichigo, however, isn’t so easily defeated and counters with a Getsuga Tenshou attack. Meanwhile, watching this battle from a building in the distance are Halibel and her three Fracción. When her Fracción get uneasy over the power Grimmjow is displaying, Halibel tells them that she doesn’t blame them for being scared because this is a primordial fear. What she doesn’t say is that, with Ichigo as Grimmjow’s opponent, she feels like she’s watching a fight between two Espada. Back in the battle, Grimmjow observes that Ichigo is able to maintain his mask for longer than before, and he doesn’t want it breaking again mid-fight. Ichigo proves that it won’t be a concern by grabbing Grimmjow’s hand while it’s in mid-attack and countering with a sword slash. The two then begin a series of ferocious attacks back and forth, and as she continues to watch, Inoue wonders if the person she’s seeing is really Ichigo.

Grimmjow eventually fires off a set of projectiles from his arm, and though Ichigo dodges them at first, he quickly realizes that they’re going to hit Inoue instead. In order to save her, he uses his own body as a shield and takes gets hurt pretty bad even though he claims that he’s okay. Seeing Ichigo facing towards her with his mask on reminds Inoue of her brother’s Hollow form, and after he notices the shocked look on her face, Ichigo turns back to the battle. He is now breathing heavily and cracks have begun forming on his mask, but he doesn’t give up and charges at Grimmjow again. Inoue meanwhile is trying to tell herself not to be scared, however she can only think of Ichigo’s blackened Hollow eyes and how they remind her of her brother’s from back then. Beside her, Nel is shocked for a different reason: this is the first time she’s seen Ichigo losing while he has his mask on. However, she then notices how Inoue is trying not to watch the battle by keeping her eyes closed. This causes Nel to decide to cheer Ichigo on, and she tries to get Inoue to do the same. She makes Inoue realize that Ichigo is doing everything for her sake and cites how he had attacked Ulquiorra only after hearing her name.

Remembering how she had originally come to Hueco Mundo because she wanted to protect everyone, Inoue admits to herself that she had been happy when she heard that they were coming to save her. She had been scared upon seeing Ichigo’s mask because she thought that they might not have been there to save her after all, but she now knows that she was wrong. With this in mind, she yells for Ichigo not to die and tearfully tells him that he doesn’t have to win or keep trying his best – she just doesn’t want him to get hurt any further. Ichigo is surprised to hear this, and when he sees Grimmjow charging at him to try to deal a finishing blow, he catches Grimmjow’s arm. Apologizing to Grimmjow, Ichigo explains that he can’t get hurt anymore, and he proceeds to slash through the front of Grimmjow’s body.

Bleach   166   Preview 01 Bleach   166   Preview 02 Bleach   166   Preview 03

For an episode that consisted mostly of fighting, this was pretty well animated (as have been, historically, most of the episodes that come after Bleach takes a break). I did, however, have some problems the consistency of character designs – Inoue’s face in particular looked different with every other shot of her. I got distracted by Grimmjow’s ears too, but that’s not as much a problem with the animation as it is just with me not being used to seeing him with furry green ears like that – they stood out a lot less in the manga.

I also have to say that my favorite moment this week was definitely at the end. As much as Inoue’s angst can be annoying at times, it was really cool to see Ichigo stop Grimmjow’s attack because Inoue didn’t want him to get hurt any further. In a more romance-oriented series, that’d be the kind of thing that leads to a hero and heroine finally hooking up, but since this is Bleach, we probably shouldn’t expect that (or any relationship pairing for the matter). In any case, the fight with Grimmjow ends next week, and on that note, I’m fairly confident that the new OP and ED will start the week after that (on April 23rd). The question, of course, still remains how they’re going to jump from the middle of the Hueco Mundo arc into something new without horribly screwing everything up. Keep your fingers crossed…

April 9, 2008 at 2:28 pm
  • April 9, 2008 at 2:33 pmUnknown Voice

InouXIchigo foreva!~~ :P

Overall, great episode, loved the animation quality, although Grim-release designs could have looked better in anime…

worried about fillers…

• April 9, 2008 at 2:33 pmkamina

Yeah 1st!

Getting RAW now =)

• April 9, 2008 at 2:53 pmD-Roy

Great episode!

• April 9, 2008 at 3:02 pmStiFF

After looking at this SS, I believe Inoue could’ve been an Arrancar, or even an Espada. Imagine if Ulquiorra’s reiatsu rubbed off on her.
    _>

Kitty is sad, LOL!

• April 9, 2008 at 3:02 pmCafard

Inoue orihime= yoshida kasumi=useless.

• April 9, 2008 at 3:06 pmDiabolikul

gr8 episode cant wait for subs

• April 9, 2008 at 3:12 pmGynok

hmm, the animation looks good – surprisingly nice fight scenes…i still think the change from hueco mundo is gonna seem way too abrupt, it was in the manga (like 3 pages lol)

• April 9, 2008 at 3:39 pmscipio7

when we see grimmjaw memories episodes

• April 9, 2008 at 4:02 pmD-Roy

Omni i e-mailed you. Can you reply back thanks.

• April 9, 2008 at 4:16 pmPata Pata Patapon!

Amazing AMAZING AMAZING!
    I was waiting forever for this episode and boy, it didn’t disappoint! I wish they could keep it like this, exciting story with fantastic animation. Manga is in an interesting period as well. Not going to spoil anything but it’s giving a lot of answers in the recent chapters!

• April 9, 2008 at 4:27 pmHei

I wish they’d put Bleach on hiatus instead of adding in random fillers that don’t contribute to the story at all…

• April 9, 2008 at 4:29 pmfalconx0101

Yay, bleach returns!!!

• April 9, 2008 at 5:03 pmKeiotic

@Hei

I concur, then they’d have time to work on making the animation better. But then they wouldn’t have any money to fill their pockets with, from all these fillers they’re creating. And it’s just a way to keep us glued to the screen.

• April 9, 2008 at 5:14 pmforce

I love the background sound when they fight

• April 9, 2008 at 5:18 pmSadmask

Oh wow. The fight scene looks cool.

• April 9, 2008 at 5:22 pmforce

On dirait qu’il a vu la lumière aussi

• April 9, 2008 at 5:22 pmforce

Looks like he see THE LIGHT too

• April 9, 2008 at 5:42 pmBROOKLYN otaku

BEEN waiting for this!!! looks SO LUSH AND JUICY!!!!!!! oooOOOOOOOHHHHH!

• April 9, 2008 at 5:42 pmgfire

i usualli dont watch bleach raws but couldnt help downloading it, its been forever since ive seen such a great fight (last one was prolli ichi vs byakuya) good animation, fast pace. been forver since ive had this feeling while watchin bleach, reminded me y i loved bleach in the first place

• April 9, 2008 at 6:04 pmKururu

I find angst inoue hot LoL

• April 9, 2008 at 6:22 pmkentaiyoshimi

wooo its gonna be an awesome fight

• April 9, 2008 at 6:48 pmichihime

oooh i can’t wait to see this :]
    And one Inoue looks different in a every shot :o

• April 9, 2008 at 8:17 pmCherubium

Just watched it and its freaking hot.

Grimmjow is hell cool, cept for the ballerina spin kick.

• April 9, 2008 at 9:45 pmlinkdarkshadow

After this fight, everything just goes downhill… you should just drop Bleach.

• April 9, 2008 at 10:03 pmD-Roy

Shut up linkdarkshadow!

• April 9, 2008 at 10:13 pmKais

awww, Grimmjow is sooo cute! :)

• April 9, 2008 at 10:16 pmFalenXangel

So… Ichigo’s mask lasted the entire episode? or am I missing something

• April 9, 2008 at 10:36 pmsakusa

That is such a WIN.

I can’t wait to watch this!!

• April 9, 2008 at 10:47 pmdarkkodiak

I gotta say that I’m very happy with this episode, been waiting for it for a long time. It actually made me go “oh shit” on the same scenes in the manga haha. Overall a good fight and a long overdue one to add. I just hope the next big fight(not gonna spoil) won’t dissapoint hehe *grin*

• April 10, 2008 at 1:34 amrealtears

#
    Cafard at 3:02 pm on April 9th, 2008

Inoue orihime= yoshida kasumi=useless.

yea a god like character is really useless… being able to reject all injuries and even death is utterly useless… oh and healing Ichigo so that he can fight again is SO useless… wait why is orihime useless again?

• April 10, 2008 at 1:37 amyUkishin

omg..its grimmjaw!!!!^^

• April 10, 2008 at 1:45 amNano

I hate these Orihime and Ichigo moments! Its Rukia + Ichigo forever!

• April 10, 2008 at 3:37 amAlex4life

Wow, this episode was ****ing awesome. I said oh **** a couple times myself. Just wow.

• April 10, 2008 at 3:45 amKagami

wow this is the best fighting scene.ichigo use his hollow mask for the entire episode so cool.

• April 10, 2008 at 4:10 amOmni

D-Roy: I never got an email from you, and when I try to send to the email address you commented with, I get an immediate failed delivery receipt from Yahoo.

• April 10, 2008 at 4:11 amMH

finally a fight~~ thats good …damn its been long time watch action like this episode. since long time~~~~~~~~~~

• April 10, 2008 at 9:50 ambob

Wow! Bleach is back! Not for long though…
    Good fight, good animation quality, reminds me of Soul Society Arc and why I like Bleach.

• April 10, 2008 at 9:54 amVipey

Grimmjow’s ears = win rofl

i swear Grimmjow is soo cool looks wise. Now if only he had a better attitude. x.X

• April 10, 2008 at 10:41 amstarleigh

“Sorry Grimjaw I can no longer take on injuries” How bad ass gives me chills thinking about it. You know what Ichigo has in him right? Its that marble thing that Aizen sama uses to make the Espata. You havenet seen anything yet. Of course this is my theory. I do not read the manga

• April 10, 2008 at 11:08 amWhatchamini

wow…what an amazing ep…all good things this week! hehe i think this is the best fight with ichigo to date…he really has become powerful, but i can’t help wondering if he will get even more powerful than just his hollow mask, because as uliquira (sp?) said a few weeks ago, with him in his present state, how can he possibly hope to defeat aizen? that said, i was surprised at grimmjows ressurection form…i really had no idea that the espada could do that, and it makes me wonder what the other espada will look like…lol

the one thing that i really like about bleach is that its very unpredictable, i really have no idea how this anime will end…and i also kinda like the fact there are no real pairing in bleach…partly cause it keeps the fights from getting cheesy, and also cause i son’t really like any of the girls in this anime. Inoue always gets on my nerves,and this week was no exception..it took nel for gods sake to get her to get her act together! jeez i mean really, yay ichigo looks scary in his mask (not to mention freakin cool) but he is obviously fight for the dumb ditz…oh well at least she finally started to cheer him on..although i hope that ichigo does just totally stop the fight just cause inoue told him not to get hurt anymore…

anyway i am really looking forward to next week to see how this all ends…and i am REALLY not looking forward to the fillers…i am very interested however on what infact they will do for the fillers? the only thing i can think of is that all of the shinigami in hueco mundo randomly fall into a hole full of traps and crap while they are all injured so since they can’t use their full powers it takes them forever to get out…other than that tho..haha…i think that the fillers are going to be very boring and lame…i almost wish they would just take like a two month break and get the suspense up that way…

• April 10, 2008 at 11:15 amMonochrome Factor Fan

I can’t wait for more anime shows like Nijuu Mensou no Musume, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Golgo 13, Soul Eater, Wagaya no Oinari-sama, Zettai Karen Children, Blassreiter, Itazura na Kiss, Kurenai, To Love-ru, Allison & Lillia, RD (Real Drive) Sennou Chousashitsu, Crystal Blaze, Kaiba, Toshokan Sensou, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, 20 Mensou no Musume, Kyou Kara Mao 3rd Season, Kirarin Revolution Season 3, Neo Angelique Abyss, and Himitsu: Top Secret. I hope you get all these anime shows on this SOON Omni…

• April 10, 2008 at 12:32 pmforce

Ichigo’s state of mind is really important. When he is fully motivated he can do anything. It must had been hard to see Orihime afraid of him, finaly she take it of and cheer him up.

• April 10, 2008 at 12:39 pmLeaT

Wow, best episode in a very long time. They did drag out a bit too much at times, a few rehashed scenes but man, the fighting was quite amazing. I just pity myself that fansubs direct from TV don’t have that great quality to it, the color depth was seriously lacking.

I also noticed that Inoue looked slightly different with each clip. I think they added more and more wrinkles to her face :p Soon she will look like an old hag XD

For some reason does Grimmjow’s released form remind me of Zora Link…

Is I guess, an okish pic. I guess it was his green ears that reminded me so much of Link’s equally green fins :P I didn’t like that they did minor changes to the storyline (normally they are generally true to the manga except when they censor something, like in the episode where Grimmjow for example tears off Loli’s leg). With changes I mean the projectiles that Ichigo blocked that really were stone splitter. I guess they did the change to make it more dramatic and then showing it off by having Grimmjow shooting away one more at one of those pillars to show the destructive powers and adding the effect that “Ichigo took 5 of those”.

I also didn’t like when Grimmjow was talking to Ichigo when he was pushed up into a wall and asked what would have if Ichigo lost his mask during mid-fight. Originally, he did trying to tear the mask off saying something like “what if I remove that mask?” or similar and Ichigo stopped his hand replying back that if he wanted to fight Ichigo at full power, he should not try to remove it. Well, it just looked stupid trying to make it look like an attack just making the original reason why he moves his hand (or rather paw) towards Ichigo’s face obscure.

The ending was incredibly powerful. I also liked how they let the To Be Continued text fade for a few seconds after Ichigo struck Grimmjow down, as to let the viewer actually comprehend what truly happened. I also liked how secure they made Ichigo look like when he stopped Grimmjow’s hand mid-air with his own hand when Grimmjow was about to deal the killing blow. This was also the very first time I thought the ED to truly fit the series. It made a sort of strange sense back to reality hearing that happy j-pop tune which in turn, added to the effect even more.

Some scenes were all in all very innovative although a bit too much “moving around in dust” was used which all in all, don’t add much to the actual fighting more than giving us a sense that they actually fight. Well, I guess they needed to do that as to use all the episode space just like they added a few additional lines to Nel etc, as well as flash backs for Inoue that truly never happened either.

It won’t be the Byakuya fight. That one will be very hard all in all to beat. I guess what let this episode down some was the fact that there was hardly any plot movement between the fighting they could fill up some episode space with like they did to the Byakuya fight. While not having any breaks between fighting moments does add more to the overall suspension, I am not sure adding scenes that show very little will have that effect either.

All in all, I guess it was partly an experimental episode as such but did show some truly great fighting scenes, especially midway through. It was well worth the additional waiting time. I guess the reason why they hesitated to publish this episode the next week after the last one was because they wanted to really put down some real energy into the fighting (some scenes have a very strange camera angle and aren’t that easy to draw) plus, having to wait for this eyecandy did add an additional suspense, so it was a win-win situation both ways.

Let’s hope they can keep this up with the upcoming episodes that should be as interesting since this arc is finally coming to an end.

• April 10, 2008 at 5:36 pmbrianleung8912

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee… dapz epi

• April 10, 2008 at 5:37 pmSethiroth

Wow, one of the best episodes ever. Best animation I’ve ever seen.

• April 10, 2008 at 6:06 pmAnonymooo

Stupid plot-sensitive strength.

“Don’t die!”
    “OKAY–sorry, can’t be hurt any more” *win*

Despite that, this episode looks beautiful.

• April 10, 2008 at 7:55 pmSadmask

So far, that was the only good fight scene in Bleach I’ve ever seen. -_-

• April 10, 2008 at 8:13 pmBlumann

OMG I took a hiatus from the show when they put all the filler crap in, but this epidsode just brought me back. That ending, where ichi stopped grimm kitty((yea I said it)) was just sweet…I don’t follow the manga since I want to be surpirsed by the animation more and well…hell, that episode was a surprise.

• April 10, 2008 at 9:53 pmSidonieeee

no.orihime u should DIIIIEEEEEEEE. a horrible death. ichixRukia 4 eva!!!!!!!

• April 10, 2008 at 9:56 pmSidonieeee

die orihime die . ichi rukia rules

• April 11, 2008 at 5:34 amULTRA MAN

i don’t really understand why the hell ichigo was suddenly able to stop the attacks when before he was getting the shit beaten out of him. why the hell does just somebody saying something suddenly makes somebody uber.

• April 11, 2008 at 12:39 pmTorim

i have a few questions about fillers…somebody mentioned that their were filler episodes recently?? and another thing is when is the new filler gonna start? and what is it about if you know.

• April 11, 2008 at 5:02 pmX

Man not only do i loved the battle, the animation quality, but the background music too!!! The music fits so well in the battle scenes!

• April 11, 2008 at 6:08 pmLost-Wisdom

Wonderfully awesome is all I have to say to this episode. The animation was superb and all the episodes should really be like this if they had the time to work on it more.

• April 11, 2008 at 8:11 pmfinalnight

I heard bleach was upgraded to DTV, this true?

• April 12, 2008 at 2:43 amAyie

inoue is definitely espada material. just look at how she heals.. shes like God!.

• April 12, 2008 at 4:10 amnejibana17

they say that they t\will introduce a filler arc to fill in the story gap left after the story reverted to the past in the manga. if n the manga it is only shown that Aizen will go and destroy Karakura town for making the king’s key and the Flashback chapter, “Turn Back the Pendulum” where he is shown as the lieutenant for fifth division.Sahme that they cannot follow the normal course of the plot.Sucks.

• April 12, 2008 at 8:40 pmLeako

Dam crazy episode! especially being lecture by a bra hollow haha! oh yes the last phew sec of the episode was cool.

• April 12, 2008 at 10:34 pmcherry

i thin ineo and ichigo r getting………very close!!!

• April 13, 2008 at 2:32 amSOSAnimeBoy

LOL it’s so obvious they hired a totally different team to animate this episode. Just notice Orihime’s face in the recap and then as soon as the recap is over and the episode starts… totally different chara design. I was laughing to death.

Still a superb episode. Oh, and I’m going to be putting myself out there for termination by saying this, but OrihimexIchigo FTW

• April 16, 2008 at 9:09 ambrianleung8912

thought grimmjow wuda been something better than a panther…. either way… all good… fillers coming tho :D kinda looking forward to it…. been at HM for too long.. wanna see wagwan in SS (H)

• April 17, 2008 at 9:34 amSeishowmeu

I will never get tired of watching this Episode… As well, done if not better, than their 1st Battle in the animated series!

• April 24, 2008 at 5:06 amjimmy

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that horrible animation. It was terrible! Grimmjow looks like an idiot drawn like that. Not to mention Halibel’s fraccion. Overall it was a good episode but don’t ever use that animating style again.

• May 14, 2008 at 3:05 amShari

IchiHime, yay! Why are ppl bashing Orihime just ’cause she was afraid of Ichigo for a couple minutes?! She got reminded of her brother who tried to kill her, it’s understandable. And enough with this ‘die Orihime’ crap. I’m not a Rukia fan and definitely not an IchiRuki fan, but you don’t see me squeeling Die Rukia…

• June 16, 2008 at 3:45 pmMashmaro

Authentic great animation…finally ^^ I was surprised when I saw it, I didn’t expect the quality like that (used to the fillers, compared to them this has got the animation level of Samurai champloo or Escaflowne, that means one of the best ones)
    Besides the music played when Grimmjow turns into “Pantera” is very epic!!