Macross Frontier – 12 »« The Daily Dose

Macross Frontier – 11

Macross Frontier   11   01 Macross Frontier   11   02 Macross Frontier   11   03
Macross Frontier   11   04 Macross Frontier   11   05 Macross Frontier   11   06
Macross Frontier   11   07 Macross Frontier   11   08 Macross Frontier   11   09
Macross Frontier   11   10 Macross Frontier   11   11 Macross Frontier   11   12
Macross Frontier   11   13 Macross Frontier   11   14 Macross Frontier   11   15
Macross Frontier   11   16 Macross Frontier   11   17 Macross Frontier   11   18
Macross Frontier   11   19 Macross Frontier   11   20 Macross Frontier   11   21
Macross Frontier   11   22 Macross Frontier   11   23 Macross Frontier   11   24
Macross Frontier   11   25 Macross Frontier   11   26 Macross Frontier   11   27
Macross Frontier   11   28 Macross Frontier   11   29 Macross Frontier   11   30

Summary:

With Ranka’s newfound popularity, Cathy compares her to Cinderella and asserts that Ranka has found the glass slipper after Leon suggests that the clock will eventually strike midnight. Despite how busy she is, Ranka tries to find the time to write to Alto about how every day is like a dream for her and how she’s giving her all. Her first live performance is even set to be in the same concert hall where Sheryl gave her performances. Ranka also remembers that next week is Alto’s birthday, and she promises to take time off so that she can come to the party and give him a present. She’s too busy to finish and send this message though, and Nanase is surprised to find out later from Alto that Ranka still hasn’t contacted him about his birthday. Luca thinks that Ranka has just been busy with her upcoming first live, and speaking from experience, Sheryl explains how much fun all the new things would be. Alto uses this chance to comment on how Sheryl’s had a lot of free time recently, so Sheryl asserts that her experience makes her good at time management. Her own sneezing interrupts what she’s saying though, and after Mikhail offers her a towel, she explains that she’s got a new job next week and won’t be coming to school for a while.

As it turns out, Sheryl is having a special concert on the planet of Gallia 4, and Ozma had been asked about guard duty for it. He had turned it down because Gallia 4 is where the famed New U.N. Spacy’s 33rd Marine Force was sent, and he comments to Cathy about how the government’s recent moves have been strange. Cathy promises to investigate, but she then changes the subject to Ranka’s movie, and that gets Ozma angry because he views the movie as vulgar thanks to the kiss scene between Ranka and Alto. Back at the academy, Luca is telling everyone about how Gallia 4 has an atmosphere, and that gets Alto thinking about a time from his childhood when he threw a paper airplane towards the sky. His thoughts are interrupted by the arrival of his brother Saotome Yasaburo who had seen Alto’s performance and had been happy that Alto hadn’t forgotten acting. Yasaburo isn’t Alto’s real brother but is rather a senior disciple and is in line to succeed Alto’s father Ranzou since Alto himself left home. He’s here to inform Alto that his father collapsed, and though there’s no big threat to Ranzou’s life, Yasaburo wants Alto to go home on his birthday. Doing so would resolve the issue of Alto having been disowned.

Alto is against the idea and asserts that he became a pilot, but Yasaburo thinks that Alto is lying and is convinced that Alto hasn’t stopped performing. He cites how Alto is pretending to be someone who opposes his parents and wants to be a pilot, and he thinks that Alto should stop trying to act cool. Yasaburo also feels that, no matter how much he devotes himself to it, he can’t obtain the acting blood that Alto has inherited. Meanwhile, Ranka gets an extra ticket for her first live because, as Sheryl figures out, there’s someone she wants to hand it to directly. Sheryl knows that the person in question is Alto since his birthday is coming up, and when Ranka reveals that she wants to give him something other than the ticket too, Sheryl thinks that this will make Alto happy. Ranka is surprised to hear Sheryl refer to Alto in such a familiar way, but before she can ask Sheryl about it, Sheryl gets dizzy and almost collapses. Sheryl claims that she’s okay, but she’s still feeling bad later, and Grace sees that she has a fever. Grace suggests canceling the Gallia 4 event, however Sheryl insists on going because of the rumor that there are survivors there from the Macross Galaxy.

Over on the Macross Quarter, Cathy questions Kuran about the 33rd Marine Force, so Kuran explains that she and Nene are descendants of those who sided with humans during the first great interstellar war. After the war, there were those Zentradi who reluctantly surrendered to the humans, and they didn’t get along with the other Zentradi, so they were put in the 33rd Marine Force. Kuran personally sees them as an embarrassment to the Zentradi race. Later that day, in light of the fact that Ranka has yet to talk to Alto, Nanase tells her over the phone that he and Sheryl have been getting along quite well recently. Nanase doesn’t think that the two are dating yet, but she warns Ranka that Alto could get taken from her. This makes Ranka consider her feelings for Alto, and so she decides to call him, but she only gets his voice mail. Making the best of it, she leaves a message telling him to come to the hill overlooking the city on his birthday because she has a present for him. Alto had actually left his phone in his room and is currently staring out into space, thinking about what Yasaburo had said, while he waits for Sheryl. She shows up in a revealing outfit and wants to give him a present: the ability to fly over a real sky.

On the day of his birthday, Alto considers the three options he has: see his father, meet Ranka, or take Sheryl up on her offer. He eventually makes a decision after remembering again how he had thrown paper airplanes towards the sky when he was young. When Ranka arrives on the hill after having gotten a two-hour break from work, she finds Mikhail waiting for her instead of Alto. Mikhail was sent there by Alto because Alto had chosen to go with Sheryl to Gallia 4. Unbeknownst to Alto, all of this is in line with the plans of Leon and the mysterious person he’s been in contact with. Left by herself, Ranka is joined by the creature the stole Sheryl’s underwear, and when it tries to comfort her, she feeds one of the cookies she had baked. Taking another and wishing the absent Alto a happy birthday, she bites down and finds it bitter.

ED Sequence

Macross Frontier   ED4   01 Macross Frontier   ED4   02 Macross Frontier   ED4   03

ED: 「ねこ日記」 (Neko Nikki) by ランカ・リー=中島愛 (Ranka Lee=Nakajima Megumi)
Watch the ED!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2
I really didn’t think much of this song when they first played it in the background a couple of episodes ago, but it’s actually a pretty good song. I wouldn’t mind this as the ED for a few episodes, though I’m pretty sure this is only a temporary until the new one premieres either next week or the week after.

Macross Frontier   11   Preview 01 Macross Frontier   11   Preview 02 Macross Frontier   11   Preview 03

For the most part, this episode further confirms that Ranka will become the key songstress but will grow apart from Alto in the process. What’s frustrating is that Alto didn’t even really choose Sheryl like Ranka thinks he did – he chose his dreams (the sky). Because of that, I wouldn’t say he’s gotten that much closer to Sheryl, so maybe Ranka still has a chance (I personally still prefer the Alto and Sheryl pairing). All this also made me wonder if Sheryl was intentionally trying to compete for Alto by offering something she knew he couldn’t resist, thus insuring that she’d had him all to herself on his birthday. That sounds kind of sinister, but I wouldn’t put it past her since it’s pretty clear she likes him even though he doesn’t necessarily return her feelings yet.

Anyway, the big “surprise”/implication at the end of the episode is that Grace is the one in charge of Brera. I use quotation marks because it probably isn’t surprising to those of you who have sharp ears and recognized her voice (aka. Inoue Kikuko) back in episode nine (I’m not one, but got tipped off by someone who was). It deepens the mystery of her character since she’s so close to Sheryl and is definitely trying to use her in some way, however it’s still not really clear to me what her ultimate goals are. I wouldn’t call Grace evil yet in any case, but it’ll be interesting to see how this connects with the Vajra and what the Zentradi trap mentioned in the preview is about.

June 19, 2008 at 9:56 pm
  • June 21, 2008 at 4:52 ampinoy78

Damn you Alto. I don’t like how you’ve been mistreating Ranka’s feelings.

• June 21, 2008 at 6:45 amStranger

Alto doesn’t even care for either girl that much. I don’t even think he is interested in anything other than the sky or his mom LOL.

He isn’t impressed by Sheryl despite her charms and he treats Ranka like a kid sister. Sheryl probably sees him as a challenge for her while Ranka doesn’t look up to him like a big brother either.

And despite what everyone thinks of a happy ending (as long he gets any girl = happy ending), I think Kawamori will kill Alto off. Towards the end of the series, Alto will probably realise that both girls are going to be used (Sheryl is already is, and Leon is interested in Ranka which is bad)and fight to the death just to save them.

A true hero. And true heroes die.

• June 21, 2008 at 9:00 amaudishah

i think we better stop all shipping comments from now on.at least when things get really, REALLY clear? talk abt the battles, zentradi, history or whatever and a ‘i like ___x___!!!’ is enough. im getting dizzy wth all these arguements!sorryyy~~it’s just that both sides are really loyal and intelligent fans, and seems like we are quite eager to back our team eh?^^

• June 21, 2008 at 9:50 amCain

“A true hero. And true heroes die.” – If they managed to accomplish something maybe, other than that, they are just a waste of space. Considering it’s a macross, I don’t see the protagonist dying at the end.

• June 21, 2008 at 2:14 pmGP

The last thing to happen would be the main character dying.

And no ones overlooking the fact that Ranka will be more important to the plot than Sheryl, but so what? Using that as an argument doesn’t mean much at this point. For all we know she might have something inside her that they want (whatever was glowing last time), and that could be the extent of it. There is no real proof that she’s somehow going to be the savior of the fleet at this point. And in fact her voice has the opposite effect you’d expect. Where Minmei was able to sing and thus make the enemy stop fighting, Ranka sings and the Vajira go whiled and attack instead.

As for Grace, I think she’s the perfect sleeper agent. Being Sheryls manager lets her go all over the universe from fleet to fleet and planets on her search for Ranka or whatever Ranka has that they want. She can move freely and get special treatment without it raising any flags, a great cover.

• June 21, 2008 at 2:19 pmme

@Stranger I’m agree that Alto-hime would never choose either girls because he is choosing to fly as Ranka will choose her popularity (like Minmay) ^^;

• June 21, 2008 at 2:59 pmWestlo

“The last thing to happen would be the main character dying.”

I would say something like check out the previous Kawamori series but that would ruin the ending wouldn’t it? Doubt it will happen but don’t rule it out.

@ ani_d

lol @ you. You like found one line I said that twisted about 4-5 more lines. At least my parody of you was spot on, since you love to bring up how often Ranka and Alto talk on the phone while ignoring Sheryl and Alto do the same. Anyway since you never replied I guess you gave Escaflowne the wiki treatment yeah? Kawamori’s best series deserves better than that :\ I mean who would seriously compare Van Fanel and Ranka Lee’s situations except a desperate fan girl trying to reach for something, anything?

“I am talking about Ranka Lee not Sheryl Nome’s character so it is expected that I’m going to be talking about her own character development. I don’t see anything wrong with that at all. To make things clear, I’m not pertaining about the presence of character development but rather the amount of character development from the get go. It’s hands down Ranka and Alto unless you can point some scenes to counterprove this based on the first 4 episodes.”

Once again I’ll say this since you conveniently ignored it. Misa and Hikaru didn’t really start to develop until Bye Bye Mars which I think is episode 7. Macross was originally suppose to be 26 episodes long but got a 10 episode extension (which resulted in the 2 clip shows) due to high ratings (20% I believe). Now you probably want to reply that they did start in episode 1 but if that’s the case than so did Sheryl and Alto which puts your argument down the drain so of course you won’t will you?

So with Frontier being 25 episodes long Sheryl and Alto have a 1 episode advantage over the original pairing. It doesn’t matter if Ranka has a 4 episode head start since Minmei had a 6 episode headstart and the head start has been completely eroded by now anyway and if anything it’s Ranka playing catch up since Sheryl and Alto have interacted much more in the last 6 episodes.

“Uh, excuse me, YOU are the one using Kawamori’s past shows to debunk a Ranka ending with NO stronger evidences to back it up with?”

I know I have and don’t pretend I was the only one since a lot of Kawamori fans have been saying the exact same thing. Now I find it funny how you constantly ridculed us for doing this and all of a sudden you come up with “They’ve been developing Ranka and Alto since episode 1. ^__^ Kawamori just likes to torture his lead characters.” and something similar to that on AnimeSuki. Here’s a word for you, hypocrite.

“Before you call me a delusional fangirl, please do tell me which girl has the most focus in the show between Sheryl and Ranka and maybe you’ll realize that Ranka Lee in Macross Frontier isn’t the same as Noe from True Tears who was basically outscreened by Hiromi.”

The only time you even considered Hiromi the main girl of True Tears is after the last episode, do you really want me to go look through the True Tears forums for quotes or should I just make them up like you did with me in your post? I can already see the “Sheryl was the main girl of Frontier” posts coming from you in 5-6 months time as we fight over another pairing in the Fall season. And I’ve freely admitted that Ranka is the main lead and will be the focus of the plot, you’re a fool if you think Kawamori will give Ranka the musical career, the key to the plot, most character development in addition to Alto. Sheryl’s too popular and too much of a key part of the show to be treated like Siesta from ZnT or Yoshida from Shana. The quicker you understand this the better for you.

“For the record, I’ve waged No war against you, but I’ve been a sport to admit that my biasness has clouded my judgment in TRUE TEARS. I expect for you to do the same in October 17th for MF.”

Of course you have to admit you were wrong since…. well you were wrong! I’ll admit when I’m wrong but atm I have a perfect record and aside from my Ayu Mayu manga prediction (Mayu which I decided in chapter 1 lolz) I’m fairly confident in all my ongoing predictions for this show, Vampire Knight (Zero), Shugo Chara (Ikuto) & Skip Beat (Ren).

“And why are you so defensive? ^__^ It’s like I was right on the mark. What you just said up there just reinforced what I said about Sheryl. She knows Alto more than Ranka (who basically knows almost nada) no matter what kind of methods she used. The situation is as it is right now. Case end.”

The way you twist stuff are you on the path to becoming a politician? You were just bragging about how we as the audience will get to know Alto at the same time Ranka does unlike Sheryl. When I point out that Sheryl has found out about Alto with us, *just like you said Ranka would) you actually say I’ve reinforced your point?

“So the crap ending for a RankaxAlto ending is a Sheryl ending? Hahah see? Another Kawamori evidence with nothing to based on from the story but pure imagination. I thought the ending of Escaflowne was beautiful and realistic and by no means crap, thank you very much.”

You’ve lost me here, calm down, take a few breaths and try again. If you don’t want to continue this here reply to this in the Romance thread on Suki.

• June 21, 2008 at 3:19 pmandynai

quote from unknown2:
    “Slick move on Sheryl using “endless sky” on him.Ugh…Im a rankaXalto fan so i felt a bit disappointed but i guess thats how it should be.
    But Im still predicting a sheryl death and Ranka singing to save the world then disappearing like Lynn Minmay, leaving Alto alone.
    Damn…alto’s voice reminds me of Graham.”

I agree with you on this. I can see it happening any time now as this show is moving to fast for my old age. It really is fast-paced. But like you mentioned, similar to how Lynn Minmay left, I can see this plot developing between Alto and whomever he may have fallen for in the end. ’tis is sad.

The author just thinks it’s “cool” having such endings. It seems as if he has this misanthropic concept that bends at will when it comes to ANY and ALL sweet, innocent, dark and sometimes sneering relationships. I believe he has been through too many (or not enough) relationships, so he tends to surmise society as is:
    A likes C.
    B likes C.
    B likes A.
    A incidentally falls for D.
    C ends with B due to a shift in emotion.
    C still does not forget about A.
    A gets raped by D.
    A seeks asylum within C’s warmth.
    B has been left alone.
    A leaves C.
    B and C is together again.
    C and A meets again.
    C tells A she loves him, but decides it’s best to end it.
    B notices this.
    C notices A having second thoughts.
    C decides to keep A in his heart and accept no other love, or rape A and live a happy life with B.
    C comes to a conclusion. He wants a non-physical love. He wants A to straddle on top of him in his wet dreams.
    C is now left with no one. He is alone. Drifting between wet dreams and reality.

• June 21, 2008 at 3:33 pmandynai

revised:

A tells C she loves him, but wants to end it for the best of both.
    B notices how much C whacks-in-thoughts about A.
    C notices B having thought about abandoning him as A did.
    C has to decide (1) keep A locked up in his heart. (2) Keep A close in his heart and accept no other love. (3) Rape A and exists happily with B.
    C comes to a conclusion. He wants a non-physical commitment. He wants A to straddle on top of him in his stark wet dreams.
    C is now left with no one. He is all alone. He drifts aimlessly in-between wet dreams and reality. Also, he oftentimes keep his hands busy imagining despicable images of A and B.

• June 21, 2008 at 6:14 pmGP

@Westlo

The last Kawamori show I saw was Aquarion and uhh, the main lived, unless my memory is skewed. But that’s hardly the same type of show anyways.

• June 21, 2008 at 7:40 pmWestlo

Apollo is gone at the end of 26 but I haven’t seen the OVAs so who knows he might be back. And yes it’s a different show but don’t rule out the possibility. I don’t see any of them dying personally though if any of the main trio do die Ranka has the highest chance. Her connection with the Varja vastly outweighs the cold/virus Sheryl has.

• June 21, 2008 at 7:49 pmGP

The OVA is different, I don’t wanna spoil it though so I won’t say how or why.

And I’m with you, basically I don’t see them dying, there would have to be a very good reason for any of them to, and it’d be plot driven. Only time will tell but heck if this matches up with past macross shows then it’s highly doubtful.

At this point I just don’t see it. Maybe up by ep15 or 18 things could look different.

• June 21, 2008 at 8:24 pmWestlo

How does the OVA work? Do they replace the last few episodes or something? Or is it a continuation? I’ll probably check it out sometime soon since I’m interested now and I actually restarted watching Aquarion a few weeks back.

• June 21, 2008 at 10:31 pmdbm

It sure seems like there’s a fair amount of sickness going around in this episode. Sheryl’s got a cold from overwork. Alto’s father also. And, at the beginning of the episode, it is revealed that the Hydras’ aggressive behavior is due to some sort of Vajra-related infection. Of course President Glass assures everyone that people – “ningyen” – cannot catch the Hydra plague, but the reassurances of politicians aren’t typically reliable in anime.

Also, a language question: Glass claims that “ningyen” cannot catch the plague. How specific is the Japanese word “Ningyen”? Are Zentradi “ningyen”? Maybe Glass is hand-waving over the question of whether Zentradi can catch it?

• June 22, 2008 at 1:13 amStranger

Whatever it is, if Alto did not follow Sheryl it would be a boring Ep12 !
    Need more mecha fighting ftw.

• June 22, 2008 at 1:40 amivan

if you’ve watched the end of the director’s cut of the first episode, you’ll hear some snippets of lines from the whole show. The last one was Ranka which suggests that she might come across a life and death situation. Can’t wait to watch more of this awesome show! sherylxalto!

• June 22, 2008 at 1:42 amGP

@Westlo

Well, since you asked, it’s none of those, but it does effect the original series. I can’t really say without spoiling it since you don’t find out till the end.

• June 22, 2008 at 2:12 amTarsun

I don’t know if anyone noticed this, but the conversation in the pool has been bugging me.

• June 22, 2008 at 2:49 amanti-westlo

lala

• June 22, 2008 at 2:50 amGP

@Tarsun

You’re thinking too much, she just didn’t send it for some reason. If it wasn’t for Nanase pushing her and scaring her with AltoxSheryl she wouldn’t have called him right away either.

• June 22, 2008 at 10:25 amwinrar

Fuck pairing QQ drama, gief me moar mecha.

• June 22, 2008 at 8:38 pmatomicwasabi

lol…really does it matter who ends up with who? When you put it like this: you guys are essentially arguing about anime love between fictional anime characters over the internet…I mean really stage the same conversation as loud as you can in a really public place and you’d get an idea what I’m talking about. Geek speech.

• June 22, 2008 at 11:59 pmani_d

lmao@anti-westlo!

@Tarsun
    -Ranka had to erase her loooong text message to Alto because she had to go (I guess her uber advanced green celly doesn’t have a ‘save draft’ feature), her loud manager has been nagging her to work work work. There are technical plot holes in this episode, but they were all fitted in order to show that a wall is slowly forming between herself and Alto. ^__^ Just like in Nanase’s(her comrade) report, if Ranka doesn’t do something, she’s going to lose Alto. I think if Ranka is not meant to be with Alto, this is the deciding point whether she’ll let him slip away or not for the sake of her fame (that I think will not last anyway). =) Next to Alto’s problems, this is the next main focus of the episode.

My take on Alto’s family problems is that, he does love acting, but his love for the sky is also genuine. So when his step-brother (or anyone) comes and convicts him of denying his love for acting or questioning his love for the sky, he gets defensive because there’s some truth to it if he can’t totally forget the other one and vice versa. Then, he gets confused. I think his decision to go to Planet Galia is nothing but an escape because he can’t face his problems head on.

• June 23, 2008 at 12:01 ammai

Why we should stop arguing on who ends up with who:

1. The script writers might have decided to pick the pairing by something as random as the roll of dice, and the current circumstances don’t matter with how it progresses and ends.
    2. Flush that ego down the drain. The world doesn’t really care of how good you are in guessing endings. (What impact do you have in society by guessing right about an anime ending, really?)
    3. It is a waste of time, spending energy like this negatively. Do something more productive.

At this point, I’d still love to see Alto x Sheryl as a personal preference. That’s all.

• June 23, 2008 at 7:55 amanti-westlo

I’m rooting for altoxranka but it doesn’t mean that I hate altoxsheryl coupling. I do love her character(except for the uncool bitchiness); better than Ranka I believe. But somehow, some *old* geek are seriously damn annoying and overly fussy(lol…give damn long comments. Is this some kind of essay competition dood? =/) about all this love triangle between ‘em. Frankly speaking, I don’t think I will continue watching this anime if it doesn’t comprises unrequited love theme and jealousy between the characters. And I love rivalry between RankaxAltoxSheryl besides mecha madness. It makes MF looks predictably awesome anime. Kawamori is brilliant!!

• June 23, 2008 at 9:24 amanti-westlo

I love Mai! <3

• June 23, 2008 at 7:42 pmsia

People would take you more seriously if you ditch the “anti-westlo” bit. It makes you look like a troll hiding behind your computer screen. I love internet wank as much as the next amused person, but I see no trolling, I see a sadly pitiful attempt at being witty. I may not agree with Westlo at times, but at least he’s entertainingly aggressive and it’s fun to see people cower. :D

• June 23, 2008 at 8:11 pmruru-kun

Sheryl is love!! Can’t wait for the next episode. Wheee~

I agree with mai and anti-weslo(wtf??!!)…Just like westlo, I’m Sheryl biased too. It’s indeed fun too see people arguing with each other but honestly, it’s not fun at all when some fanboy are too ego and f*cking serious. Oh, and I love Mai’s viewpoint.

• June 24, 2008 at 6:07 amWestlo

Anti-westlo I prefer Yui and yami to lala, tyvm.

• June 25, 2008 at 9:48 pmAmethyst

The soundtrack is really nice. I wonder how will the story flow.

• « Older Comments