Recent Downtime Update »« Random Musings – Raindrops on Roses

Random Musings – Zettai Kareshi Edition

Zettai Kareshi

If you are watching or are planning on watching the J-drama Zettai Kareshi, be sure to bring a big box of tissues for the finale. In fact, even though I knew pretty much exactly what was going to happen in the end thanks to having read the manga, I still cried when I watched it. It’s a testament to how much emotion was in the finale and how much you connect with the characters after having followed their stories for so long (which I realize you can say for a lot of series, but it was especially powerful in this instance).

For those of you who aren’t familiar with Zettai Kareshi, it’s about a girl who gets a robot as her ideal boyfriend, and the problems and love triangle that this leads to. As I noted when I first wrote about it a few weeks ago, the series quite a lot of fun to watch. It can get a bit cheesy at times – which is hard to avoid in these kinds of drama series – but those moments were rare, and I thought they did a great job pacing the story with plot twists and cliffhangers. In retrospect, I wish I had started watching this earlier and perhaps made an attempt to blog it. Come to think of it, I really should pay more attention to drama series based on shoujo manga titles in general – I haven’t had a great record with anime adaptations, but I usually like the drama versions.

In any case, I’m glad I took the time to watch this series because, as you can see, I ended up loving it. I’d highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys a good light-hearted romance. Now I’m going to go back to listening to the theme song on repeat…

June 25, 2008 at 5:18 am
  • June 25, 2008 at 5:43 amwintergal

I’ve been following Zettai Kareshi since it first aired back in April. Though I actually did a lot of comparisons between the drama and the manga, in the end, I just watch this drama as a drama version itself. It was pretty good. At first I thought it wouldn’t be as good like HYD, but it proves me wrong. And yeah, the finale is really really sad. Made me cry, as well.

• June 25, 2008 at 5:54 amminikui

if you haven’t yet, you should really check out the Nodame Cantabile Drama, imho it is even better than the anime. They really did an awesome job with all the concerts and the acting as well. It was a pleasure to watch from the first minute to the final arc in Europe.

Hana Yori Dango was really well done also, the final movie will be in cinemas soon. And there’s also the Honey & Clover drama, eventhough quite a bit different from the anime/manga.

there are also other really good dramas not based on shojo manga though ;) My Boss my Hero f.ex. is a must-see.

• June 25, 2008 at 8:19 amYukiruchan

Seconds minikui on Nodame Cantabile.

Btw that picture above reminded me of Nodame.

Thanks for recommening this!

• June 25, 2008 at 8:38 amwintergal

Nodame Cantabile Drama is one of the best ones I’ve seen, of course, alongside HanaDan and few others. :)

• June 25, 2008 at 10:59 amAntiAngst

Awe, I love this drama. I can’t wait until SARS finishes the fansubbing so I can watch the next (last?) episode. I’ve been following it since the beginning, and I believe that it is one of my favorites.

Other shoujo mangas-turned-dramas you should watch are “Kimi wa Petto” and “Hana Kimi” (the Japanese version. The Taiwanese “Hana Kimi” was okay for hardcore fans like myself, but others typically get bored with it. Also, “It Started with a Kiss,” the Taiwanese version of “Itazura na Kiss,” is good; defiantly better than the recent anime, even if the filming is a little on the low budget side (as with most Taiwanese shows).

If you ever want someone to blog the dramas, I’d be happy to do it. ^_^ Course…I’d have to wait for the fansubs before I could write anything…

• June 25, 2008 at 12:02 pmJezreel

J-Drama Sucks, I will preferible Mexican Drama

• June 25, 2008 at 12:40 pmAsPHERE

I have to say that I know this series from you and I went on to get it. Since that time I download every EPs available and watch it all straight. Also have been waiting for new EP every week. Really love this series thank you so much that you talked about this series because I haven’t watch that much J-Drama. My recent one would be Nodame Cantabile.

PS. At first after I saw the main actress I thought that ‘Nodame!!!’ [Because of her hair style]

• June 25, 2008 at 1:19 pmHaohmaru

Lol at the poll. Stop reading Yuria 100 Shiki Omni.

• June 25, 2008 at 3:06 pm1158

im watching this series and it’s really nice. far from the shoujo manga i read. i liek the humor and quirkiness of the characters, not to mention the HOT cast.
    i loved hana yori dango, engine and kimi wa petto. those are really good shows too.

• June 25, 2008 at 4:10 pmNette

no more okaeri :[

• June 25, 2008 at 7:15 pmc_h_a_n

the previous episode, I LITERALLY BAWLED MY EYES OUT WITH MY FRIENDS.
    i guess i’ll be on my way to get my towel, i don’t wanna waste my paper tissues.

• June 25, 2008 at 10:29 pmMidnightTide

can anyone tell me the name of the song mentioned? (not the japanese squibbles please, something so I can find it and download it to my ipod) Thanks

• June 26, 2008 at 12:17 amAsPHERE

/\
    /\
    Ayaka – Okaeri

• June 26, 2008 at 2:11 amJojo

I adore dramas based off shoujo manga. I’m glad to see more anime coming out that is based on it as well. I think that is why I clung so hard to the doramas. It was the only place to find them outside of the original medium.

• June 28, 2008 at 4:43 amHei

Well wasn’t that touching

• June 28, 2008 at 5:06 pmnelly

I actually disagree. This was a horrible adaptation and Riko a bad character who never gave a crap about Night. In the manga she loved him, but I don’t sense the same thing in the drama. I’d personally avoid it and hope for a true anime adaptation.

• June 30, 2008 at 9:52 amm o m o

i like this drama version. bt is it night ot knight??

• July 17, 2008 at 12:31 pmMeiling

@momo: I think it’s supposed to be ‘Night’ but I always thought of it as a pun on ‘Knight’ as well.

• July 17, 2008 at 12:39 pmMeiling

I enjoyed this series for what it was (i.e. cream puff fanservice) rather than as an adaptation of the original manga. I thought all the main actors did a good job although Riko was rather tsuntsun. However, I think Nodame Cantabile and Hotaru no Hikaru (based on a josei manga) are better. You should definitely check them out if you haven’t watched them already. :) Also seconding Kimi wa Petto as it’s one of my all-time favourites.

• July 23, 2008 at 2:03 amkissu

i cried so hard when i watched this. not just in the end, but all the way throughout. by the time i got to the end i ran out of tears and went to bed shaking. i didn’t see the manga, so i actually thought that it would be a happy ending. but its soooo sad….

• August 13, 2008 at 11:40 ambravejaf

Wow you were not kidding. I watched the last two episodes in one sitting and my eyes hurt from crying. Overall the series was great and I am glad I decided to give it a watch. I have not watched a lot of J-Drama series but would probably rank this at the top, above HYD 1 and 2.

Note: If they attempt to make any kind of sequel or spin-off I will be very upset. The series ending was nearly perfect and I didn’t see any other gaps needing to be covered.

• April 18, 2009 at 11:03 pmifoundit