Macross Frontier – 24 »« Macross Frontier – 23

Sheryl Nome starring May’n – Northern Cross Live (MelodiX!)

While this performance is several weeks old now, I didn’t have time to check it out until now. Given how much I’ve been enjoying Macross Frontier‘s music for the past couple of seasons, I guess it’s only natural that Northern Cross grew on me fairly quickly. My favorite song to date is still “What ’bout my star? @Formo” (which I would absolutely love to see a live duet performance of), but I really like this song because it’s a lot more upbeat and very unlike the songs typically written for anime. I’m sure most Macross fans have listened to it to death by now (myself included), yet somehow I find that I’m still not sick of it in the slightest.

Anyway, I’ve seen May’n’s performances before, but I’m still impressed by how well she sings live, especially with the dance choreography that goes along with this performance. Granted, the choreography isn’t overly strenuous being mostly Para Para-like movements and she is a J-pop artist first and foremost; however, I’m sure we’re all aware that not a lot of artists can sing studio-like quality live. For those wondering, her stage name “May’n” is a contraction of her full name, Nakabayashi May (中林 芽依). For whatever reason, she decided to change it to this at the beginning of the year.

Finally, I should mention that I was a bit surprised to find out that she’s only 18 years old. Judging by her appearance (which comes off a bit mature), I figured May’n was in her earlier twenties already. In any case, enjoy the video!

September 13, 2008 at 5:38 am
  • September 13, 2008 at 5:45 amlol

I didn’t know she was only 18 either. That’s great casting for Sheryl then since she seems older then she is as well (as was Megumi Nakajima for Ranka, who both seem younger then their age). Anyway, great song and performance.

• September 13, 2008 at 5:48 amDdadain

At the end of song, she was sounding “nasal” already. The echo covered the fact up quite nicely :D

• September 13, 2008 at 5:48 amdivine

lol:
    Note, May’n doesn’t do Sheryl’s voice though like Megumi does Ranka’s. Sheryl’s seiyuu is Endou Aya.

• September 13, 2008 at 5:56 amChimasternmay

Yea nice song, and ya gotta love Megumi for doing both singing and voice for Ranka that way when she sings in the anime it really feels as she is singing it there and then… but they also pull off doing the same thing for sheryl well.

• September 13, 2008 at 5:57 amTaroB

wa wa wee waa, naughty naughty.

• September 13, 2008 at 6:00 amkanzeon

I love this song. This is looping on my iPod right now ^_^
    IMO, Megumi Nakajima sings better live than May’n…

• September 13, 2008 at 7:15 amtau-tau

Both Megumi and May’n are quite amazing live. :) I actually have my fists pumping in the air everytime either one makes it on Oricon, or better yet the singles ranking on Music Station these days…

• September 13, 2008 at 8:21 amlol

@ divine

yep, I know. The songs though, are casted well and go with the character.

• September 13, 2008 at 9:16 amSeedFreedom

Worst, choreography, ever. Song is great though.

• September 13, 2008 at 10:10 amkaminakun

@SeedFreedom
    completely agreed
    she can learn some better dances to go along with such a great song, her voice is quite nice too…though I wish Endo Aya herself could have sang as Sheryl….o well

• September 13, 2008 at 11:40 amTMFAN

You all are being to harsh on her. I haven’t heard a singer recently that can sing such a difficult song so well live. She did an amazing job with this one. Seriously, though. Megumi Nakajima might be a good singer but I don’t think it’s very hard to sing a song like Seikan Hikou live.

• September 13, 2008 at 11:47 amYukiruchan

Old video.. but still loving it.
    Somewhat out of topic but, I feel like point people who like this song to gabrielarobin dot com where a karaoke challenge for this song is being held around there. It’s fun/interesting.

• September 13, 2008 at 12:54 pmJoseph

I tink May’n is singing better then meg,
    judging from the quality of the live, the sharp turns were done well.
    Although it is not studio like, but it rocks more then it.
    May’n FTW!!!

• September 13, 2008 at 12:58 pmDragonite88

Wow she only 18 your right she does look mature but with a voice like that it can only develop further. Lovin the vido even though it old thanks.

• September 13, 2008 at 1:29 pmFeylin

I’d say that she can sing live a lot better then most other jpop stars because in Japan you don’t even NEED to be good at singing to get into this business (I don’t know about you, but I saw this really fat Argentinian guy sing at one of those year end pop concerts with all the most popular stars performing and he sucked + was really popular at that time) :rolleyes:

I applaud May’n for being one of the few singers in the Jpop industry that has an amazing voice and incredible talent.

I hope she becomes one of the top Jpop singers in the future, because she has the ability to do it!

• September 13, 2008 at 6:52 pmsuiton

zomg…at the thought of the singer coming out with pink hair…

>_<

• September 13, 2008 at 9:15 pmRina

She does sings really well live…and i can’t believe she’s only 18!!! However, i can’t help but notice her ‘backup dancers’……..kinda chubby IMO….

• September 13, 2008 at 9:30 pmWestlo

“Megumi Nakajima might be a good singer but I don’t think it’s very hard to sing a song like Seikan Hikou live.”

Exactly, but fwiw Megumi is hotter <3

• September 13, 2008 at 10:30 pmKalulu

@Rina:
    Her backup dancers aren’t chubby at all.They’re what you call HEALTHY. :/

Anyways,it’s amazing that she’s just 18. She has a ton of potential.
    I love everything about Sheryl and that includes her ‘singing voice’.
    I like hers much more than Ranka’s. It’s a unique and strong voice.

• September 14, 2008 at 1:10 amKit-Tsukasa

I want to see May’n and Megumi do a duet PV for What ’bout my Star? @Formo and Lion. That will be a sight to see.

I hope a duet album for the two will be released with just all of Sheryl’s and Ranka’s songs along with a duet. That will surely soar on the charts.

• September 14, 2008 at 2:03 amhoneyblu

her voice is amazing <3

• September 14, 2008 at 3:43 ambakaneko

Just like Sheryl, she looks older than her age. :)

• September 14, 2008 at 6:27 pmXena

Awesome preformance! Totally into her songs as well!

• September 14, 2008 at 6:27 pmXena

• September 14, 2008 at 8:50 pmGreynick

Undeniably May’N fits Sheryl and vice versa.

• September 14, 2008 at 9:10 pmmike_s_6

I don’t think that the dancer with her hair wrapped around her head is fat, perhaps for Japanese standards she looks chubby, but I’m willing to bet she looks okay in person.

She’s the one in the upper left corner in this photo. I think the girl with short hair in the upper right corner is very pretty, too bad she’s not in the MelodiX performance :P

• September 15, 2008 at 2:15 amNaru

I think she changed her stage name cuz’ she changed labels.

• September 15, 2008 at 7:37 amminmin

I think May’n is so cute Ya i love to listen her musics . SHerly Nome!!!!