« The Daily Dose

MMORPG:

Lucky Star   OVA   10 Lucky Star   OVA   11 Lucky Star   OVA   12
Lucky Star   OVA   13 Lucky Star   OVA   14 Lucky Star   OVA   15
Lucky Star   OVA   16 Lucky Star   OVA   17 Lucky Star   OVA   18
Lucky Star   OVA   19 Lucky Star   OVA   20 Lucky Star   OVA   21
Lucky Star   OVA   22 Lucky Star   OVA   23 Lucky Star   OVA   24

Cinderella Kagami attending… a wrestling match?:

Lucky Star   OVA   25 Lucky Star   OVA   26 Lucky Star   OVA   27
Lucky Star   OVA   28 Lucky Star   OVA   29 Lucky Star   OVA   30
Lucky Star   OVA   31 Lucky Star   OVA   32 Lucky Star   OVA   33
Lucky Star   OVA   34 Lucky Star   OVA   35 Lucky Star   OVA   36
Lucky Star   OVA   37 Lucky Star   OVA   38 Lucky Star   OVA   39

Tsukasa trying to outshine Kagami in volleyball!:

Lucky Star   OVA   40 Lucky Star   OVA   41 Lucky Star   OVA   42
Lucky Star   OVA   43 Lucky Star   OVA   44 Lucky Star   OVA   45
Lucky Star   OVA   46 Lucky Star   OVA   47 Lucky Star   OVA   48
Lucky Star   OVA   49 Lucky Star   OVA   50 Lucky Star   OVA   51
Lucky Star   OVA   52 Lucky Star   OVA   53 Lucky Star   OVA   54
Lucky Star   OVA   55 Lucky Star   OVA   56 Lucky Star   OVA   57

Lost in the woods thanks to Konata:

Lucky Star   OVA   58 Lucky Star   OVA   59 Lucky Star   OVA   60
Lucky Star   OVA   61 Lucky Star   OVA   62 Lucky Star   OVA   63
Lucky Star   OVA   64 Lucky Star   OVA   65 Lucky Star   OVA   66
Lucky Star   OVA   67 Lucky Star   OVA   68 Lucky Star   OVA   69

Horror:

Lucky Star   OVA   70 Lucky Star   OVA   71 Lucky Star   OVA   72
Lucky Star   OVA   73 Lucky Star   OVA   74 Lucky Star   OVA   75
Lucky Star   OVA   76 Lucky Star   OVA   77 Lucky Star   OVA   78
Lucky Star   OVA   79 Lucky Star   OVA   80 Lucky Star   OVA   81

Live-action Lucky Channel!:

Lucky Star   OVA   82 Lucky Star   OVA   83 Lucky Star   OVA   84
Lucky Star   OVA   85 Lucky Star   OVA   86 Lucky Star   OVA   87

Impressions:
I wasn’t sure if I was going to blog the Lucky Star OVA at first, but after seeing the massive amount of anime references/parodies they put into it, I felt that it couldn’t go unmentioned. Sectioned off into seven mini chapters, this OVA runs at an amazingly long 42 minutes and is reminiscent of the short skit format used in (the amazingly awesome) Azumanga Daioh. One of my favorite chapters out of the bunch definitely had to be the MMORPG one, since we finally got to see the game that Konata and Nanako always play together—in actual 3D no less! Can you imagine if they actually turned this into a real online game? While I’m sure nothing will ever quite catch up to World of Warcraft in the MMORPG genre, I think there will be an occult following of otakus in Japan who would gladly play it. Heck, I’d even want to try it.

My other favorite chapter is definitely the volleyball one, with that being my “sport of choice” to play in real life. I can’t even tell you how much I’ve longed to see a new volleyball themed anime to be made, so this was probably the next best thing. In fact, the only anime that I can even think of is Attack No.1 waaaayyyy back in 1969. I think it was relatively popular too, since a real-life drama of the same name was aired in 2005. While volleyball may not be that big in North America (even though U.S.A. beat out longtime reigning world champion Brazil at Beijing this year), it’s actually a huge sport in Japan and Europe, so I often wonder why we get baseball, tennis, boxing, racing, etc. anime, but no volleyball. My only qualm about the animation in this chapter is that a lot of characters were shown to be left-handed, which makes me wonder if it was intentional. (I forget if Miyuki, Kagami, and Tsukasa are all left-handed.) In any case, the best part was Kagami’s jump serve packing Tsukasa in the face though!

Other than that, I think the most distinguished chapter is the live-action Lucky Channel, featuring Kogami Akira’s seiyuu, Konno Hiromi and of course, Shiraishi Minoru as himself. While I don’t know what to make of Minoru’s permed wig, Hiromi looked pretty damn cute and is undoubtedly the best real-life Akira you can get. She even dressed up in a sailor uniform with extremely long sleeves to fit the role. However, the best part of that bit had to be Minoru taking a hose to the face for an extended period of time as I couldn’t help but laugh at that.

Cameos, cameos, cameos. Lots of references/parodies too, including CODE GEASS‘ “I’m Zero and I have returned!” and “I’ll use you and throw you away like a dirty rag” lines, Konata referring to Miyuki as the “galactic songstress”, Konata trying to get her team to perform a Jet Stream Attack (originally from Gundam, later Gundam SEED Destiny), Konata’s “Mi-mi-mi-Mikuru” ring tone plus her “Hare Hare Yukai” victory pose à la Suzumiya Haruhi. They even pulled a 24 (TV series) type clock countdown in the scene where Kagami woke up from her dream, and had Shirashi Minoru wear a “Yaranai ka?” necktie (possibly from Minami-ke but just funny in general). There was also Konata transforming Kagami’s outfits into a Tousaka Rin cosplay (Fate/stay night) and eventually Hatsune Miku, the Japanese virtual idol. One of the more subtle cameos had to be Miyuki passing a serve to what looks like Saotome Alto, which is evidently a parody on Miyuki’s seiyuu, Endou Aya, who plays Sheryl Nome in Macross Frontier. Another was Kagami telling Konata that cats aren’t witches and Konata saying she won’t take its soul à la SOUL EATER, where Katou Emiri (Kagami’s seiyuu) plays Blair. There’s a whole slew more too, but those are the ones that come to mind after watching the OVA once through.

September 27, 2008 at 1:20 am
  • September 27, 2008 at 1:24 amGollyzilla

Word up.

• September 27, 2008 at 1:26 amChimasternmay

oh man i missed out on Lucky Star when it was airing cause i didn’t watch much anime back then, but i saw this a while back, yeah man this 1 episode was great, i loved the rpg play stuff they did Lucky Star is Lucky Star always

• September 27, 2008 at 1:30 amAiras

Seems incredible huh!!

• September 27, 2008 at 1:37 amcutemi2

Lucky Star MMORPG, available now….

• November 16, 2010 at 1:34 amKevin

You do realise the MMORPG they’re playing is based off a real one, it looks exactly like the one they’re playing, I forget the name though.. >.<

• September 27, 2008 at 1:39 amPeanutbutter003

Good review. Was wondering whether you are reviewing this or not.

• September 27, 2008 at 1:41 amKaitune

I am never a big fan of Lucky Star although I did watch it when I have free times. However, the OVA looks pretty interesting, especially the mmorpg part. If someone really makes it into an actual online game, I would definitely try it just to see how it look (even though it would never replace WoW.)

• September 27, 2008 at 1:44 amAmatsu

yippy kagami as hatsune miku!!!

• September 27, 2008 at 1:45 amJayars

Hatsune Miku!!!! I’ve been listening to her levan pokan at work on loop, from 9-5 daily. LOL! Even comes with a stick of negi! Guess the posters weren’t lying, eh?

Have just seen this. Absolutely hilarious! Loved the part where Kagami woke up saying ***** and Tsukasa’s expression after that!

And there were so many moe moments in this one. Even though I’m still on my feet, I’m gonna bet my friend is gonna be moe’ed to death once he sees this.

Only regret, Konata should’ve done to Kagami what she did to Tsukasa when they were on the mountains. That’d have been son hilarious.

Anyway, truly enjoyed the ova. Not sure if there’ll be anymore in the future, but if there will be, I’m definitely on board. I like Hirano Aya better as Konata than Haruhi.

• September 27, 2008 at 1:45 amHeartofadeadpoet

I’m a HUGE fan of Lucky Star, Kaitune, what server do you play on? I’m on Nathrezim. My Toon’s name is Bizarostormy, :D. Can’t wait for the subbed version of LS! <3

• September 27, 2008 at 1:48 amChicle

Gaaah, I forgot this was coming out.

• September 27, 2008 at 1:50 amMegas

42 min!!! I thought I was going to die half way through. I swear this nearly made me forget all of the little Japanese I do know. That MMORPG was the best, but I will definitely be killing some rigs out there if it was made into a real game.

• September 27, 2008 at 1:55 amPachi

yeeaaah! si la estoy esperando con mucha ansiaa! sii voy al RAW!!! xD >.< <3

• September 27, 2008 at 1:59 amServbot

I almost had an anime style nosebleed from: http://randomc.net/image/Lucky%20Star/Lucky%20Star%20-%20OVA%20-%20Large%2029.jpg

Kagami as Rin!!!!

• September 27, 2008 at 2:06 amEndz

You got it all wrong with the Yaranaika part. Its based on a popular YAOI manga http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaranaika .

• September 27, 2008 at 2:08 amRafael

There was an obvious reference to Soul Eater in conversation between Konata and Kagami (Seiyu of Blair) when they were talking about cats being witches and Kagami promising to not to steal a soul from the cat.

• September 27, 2008 at 2:10 amEndz

Ah.. I wish I could edit.

Did you miss the part where Konata was calling Miyuki Miwiki? XD

• September 27, 2008 at 2:11 ampoingy

It’s no animation mistake that a lot of the characters are portrayed as being left-handed in the ova; they were created left-handed.

• September 27, 2008 at 2:15 amRai

YAY!!!!!!!

• September 27, 2008 at 2:25 ampurr~*

btw, that mmorpg part is a parody of “The Tower of Druaga ~Recovery of Babylim~”
    so practically, it’s already a game -_-;

• September 27, 2008 at 2:32 amChicle

Wow, a lot of the good stuff in the MMO part happened in the background, like the gang-rape PVP.

Awesome OVA. Can’t wait for the subs so I can get the other half of the humor. Glad I can still laugh at the raw.

• September 27, 2008 at 2:33 amdivine

Endz:
    Well, the phrase “Yaranai ka?” is referred to in tons of series and its derogatory meaning is well-known in Japanese, hence why I added that it’s just funny in general.

• September 27, 2008 at 2:57 amJoeDX

I NEED TO WATCH THIS NOW

• September 27, 2008 at 2:57 amxore

Lucky Star OVA: F.T.W.

• September 27, 2008 at 4:01 amSailor Enlil

WTF!?

Did Tsukasa somehow spike HERSELF instead of the ball here? XD

• September 27, 2008 at 4:15 amdivine

Sailor Enlil:
    Swing and a miss right into the net. Something we like to call “fishing” in volleyball, except Tsukasa takes it to a whole new level. :)

• September 27, 2008 at 4:16 amSailor Enlil

Okay, I saw the OVA itself – somehow Tsukasa actually ran fast enough and jumped high enought to fly smack into the net, just for the purpose of attempting to block a serve (if she could do that, she should instead take part in long jump events :D ).

Pizza-La supports the Rebellion! Oops, wrong series…

• September 27, 2008 at 4:37 amOwaranai Destiny

You know, I might just actually watch this. Not so much because of its popularity (if I did, I would be riding the wave) but more of similar reasons for watching humorous shows to lighten up my day rather than for its excellence.

Still, looks entertaining.

• September 27, 2008 at 4:37 ambullrogg

wow..the pic of kagami as rin from F/S:N had me sold. OVA is gonna be a mind f*ck O_O

• September 27, 2008 at 6:01 amsetsuke

Man i really like it when in MMORPG Tsukasa was doing nothing and choose the option of “Meat” that was hilarious, even Patty was cute with her teasing the dog calling him “baka inu” and “maguro” in a very moe way. The last was nice too with Tencho opening his shop sellinmg all those rare shields and swords just too turn out that Konata is “afk-ing”. Anyone know what Kagami was saying when she woke from her sleep?

• September 27, 2008 at 6:56 amKinny Riddle

Divine: The LS characters ARE left-handed. With the exception of Konata and her dad (whose absence was felt to some extent), who are ambidextrous.

Besides Konata’s dad, the other notable absence was Yutaka’s sister Yui.

Besides Shiraishi lampooning Zero/Lelouche in the horror sketch, Konata also does her own Code Geass spoof, “I’ll use you like a rag until you go dry!” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolo_Lamperouge)

And finally, there’s also the Keroro and Tamama cameo near the end of that sketch.

• September 27, 2008 at 7:32 amdesho?

OH MY DEAR LORD. This looks amazing! The quality is really noticable. :D

• September 27, 2008 at 7:33 amtau-tau

Loved it. :D I’ve sincerely hope Kaioshin Sama would not stick his head into the comment section and go on with his usual complaints. I’ve had enough of that in the regular coverage of LS, to be honest.

I really liked the MMORPG segment. Even in Japan, you don’t see too many chibified-character based 3-D MMO’s. In fact, I was instantly reminded of Concerto Gate (the environment, how the characters were rendered, the monsters) although the battle system in Concerto is quite different from what Konata & co. were doing in the original MMORPG in the OVA. Heck, I think I’ll google screentshots from Concerto Gate just to do comparisons…

Konata’s RPG character being AFK because she was sleeping = priceless.

• September 27, 2008 at 7:34 amtommykn

oh how i missed lucky star – too bad the english subs aren’t out yet.

nice idea, if they would offer a lucky star mmorp haha – i would kinda hook myself in the game like konata. ^^

gotta love lucky star !!!

• September 27, 2008 at 7:58 amdesho?

Yeah, yeah, it was awesome…Ahh…

SO WHERE’S THE FALL PREVIEW DAMNIT?!

• September 27, 2008 at 8:08 amtau-tau

@desho?

There’s a reason why patience is a virtue. Jeeze, posters complaining about the fall preview, smart-aleck comments on why Bleach isn’t covered this week (Answer: there isn’t any this week!), posters questioning Omni/Divine’s taste in what anime they cover, and of course the occasional troll…seriously, I tip my hats off to you two. My goodness some people are the mental and emotional equivalent of kindergartners still.

A second viewing of this OVA reminded me of even more real life spoofs, like the comedienne Edo Harumi…(but then again, they did have Kagami saying “Dondake” a couple of times before, I shouldn’t be surprised)

• September 27, 2008 at 8:51 amcraized

lol konno hiromi and shiraishi minoru live version of lucky channel!=)
    wtf?!? is that the OP to Fist of the North Star im hearing in the background of the lucky channel live and it sounds like hiromi and minoru are singing it. :O

• September 27, 2008 at 9:29 amStory

More Lucky Star. WOO-HOO.

(That’s all I need to say.)

• September 27, 2008 at 9:56 amdark_hei

anybody know where you can get the torrent for this??
    i wanna watch it so bad T_T

• September 27, 2008 at 10:02 amRyo

Lucky Star FTW!!

• September 27, 2008 at 11:08 amA Anime Loving Republican

I can’t wait to see the subs.

• September 27, 2008 at 11:48 amOut-Code

@divine

I really can’t wait for the new Fall anime shows. When will Omni post the Fall anime 2008 list? :/

• September 27, 2008 at 12:11 pmDMO

Hiiragi Rin~
    Kagamiku!

Btw, was what Kagami said when she woke up from the dream “katai” (hard)? I couldn’t really hear it well.

• September 27, 2008 at 12:13 pmVerbatim EX

Uhhh…Jet Stream Attack is used by the Black Tri Stars in mobile suit gundam which was also pwned by amuro btw.

LoL @ Minoru

• September 27, 2008 at 1:51 pmGintama

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

• September 27, 2008 at 2:11 pmAnonymous

‘Konata trying to get her team to perform a Jet Stream Attack (originally from Zeta Gundam, later Gundam SEED Destiny)’

GET YOUR REFERENCES RIGHT!

• September 27, 2008 at 2:13 pmAnonymous

You also missed the fact that Konata referred to Miyuki as ‘Ginga no Utahime’.

• September 27, 2008 at 3:49 pmiEatedyou

@Anonymous:

There’s a reason it says : “More impressions as they come to me. This is one massive OVA…”

• September 27, 2008 at 3:50 pmiEatedyou

On a side note, it’s right there: “…including CODE GEASS‘ “I’m Zero and I have returned!” line, Konata referring to Miyuki as the “galactic songstress”,…”

• September 27, 2008 at 4:16 pmTSURUYA

HAHA KAGAMI AS MIKU

• September 27, 2008 at 5:35 pm하늘 (はねる)

Did I just see that right? Kagami as Rin and Miku? ZOMG.

• September 27, 2008 at 5:36 pmAznCoffee

FRIK FRIK FRIK!! IT’s out??

II estimate that this will be subbed by tomrrow xD or possibly today.

• September 27, 2008 at 6:45 pmBran

The game is actually real. It’s based on Druaga no To.

The reason Kagami wanted to play it was because the director of Druaga directed FMP also; if you recall, Kagami was a big FMP fan.

• September 27, 2008 at 7:19 pmleo

it was funny + I am Zero i have returned lol + keroro and MMo Luckystar version

• September 27, 2008 at 7:52 pmdesho?

@ tau-tau

Uhmmm. Yeah, thanks for remembering me. XDDDD That was a rhetorical question.

• September 27, 2008 at 7:58 pmOut-Code

@divine

• September 27, 2008 at 8:31 pm하루히

The community is growing impatient over the Fall Preview list lawl.
    It’ll come this week no?

• September 27, 2008 at 9:13 pmAkito

Seeing so many dialog in the MMORPG, looks like a lot of works translation to do for fansubbers :)

well, keep it up!!

• September 27, 2008 at 11:40 pmAmin Hyo

Guys, just so you know, the whole Miyuki passing to “Saotome Alto” is another indication that Macross Frontier was supposed to have an Alto Sheryl ending.

Just saying.

• September 28, 2008 at 12:08 amyanipheonu

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA IT’S TRUE!!! ALTO IS THERE!!!

• September 28, 2008 at 12:08 amDuran

Isn’t the Cat-witch thing a Seiyu joke with Kagami (Since her Seiyu plays Blair in Soul Eater)

But it could use more MiWiki (but I’m glad she had more than a minute in it!) Blooming Konami fans

• September 28, 2008 at 12:29 amHudson

This was the best OVA in the history of anime. I can’t wait till the 2nd season!

• September 28, 2008 at 12:42 amyaku

Konata’s ponytail FTW!

• September 28, 2008 at 12:46 amNerroth

Has there been word on whether a season 2 will be released?

Also – Tohsaka Kagami, yay!

• September 28, 2008 at 4:15 amAxel

i want code geass pics

• September 28, 2008 at 4:15 amKaioshin Sama

@Hudson: Obviously we aren’t familiar with Gaogaigar Final….

• September 28, 2008 at 4:34 amYUKI

where’s code geaaasssss?;__;

• September 28, 2008 at 3:38 pmkagura

OMG higurashi reference! that is mion’s hairstyle!

• September 29, 2008 at 3:14 amEvilDevil

moar lucky star, i demand MOAR!!!!

• September 29, 2008 at 10:28 am[joker]:D[/joker]

What did Konata asked Kagami to say in her dream? I set the volume to the max and I still can’t hear it properly, sounded like “gouitai” to me ._.

• September 29, 2008 at 11:28 amanon

合体(gattai)?

• September 29, 2008 at 1:37 pmKubaru

I thought i saw an elfen lied cameo when konata said ‘Its not like i’ll take the soul with me along” when she said it to Kagami abou the “soul eater” refference

• September 29, 2008 at 11:51 pmloli

• October 1, 2008 at 11:01 amTin

i can’t wait for the subs!! someone pls sub this!!

• October 1, 2008 at 12:30 pmPYROtechnic

@Divine:
    The whole last section where they go to the pet shop is based on Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It’s got the exact same style with large looming faces, eeries music, and the black screen with the words they are seeing. It was a pretty long section so I’d list that too xD!
    (btw, thats the first ep of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, I haven’t seen the rest so I don’t know if the rest of the series is like that.)

• October 1, 2008 at 1:16 pmKekeke

Is it just me, or is Shiraishi Minoru getting chubby in this OVA? o.0

• October 1, 2008 at 8:55 pmdivine

PYROtechnic:
    Hmm, I thought the text screens were reminiscent of Zetsubou Sensei, but I wasn’t sure if the horror-ish premise fit. I guess if you compared the last part of the first episode of Zoku, you’re probably onto something there. Thanks for pointing it out!

Kekeke:
    Yeah, it definitely looks like Minoru put on some weight, especially around his face.

• October 3, 2008 at 2:02 amSwordbreaker

OK, was it just me or did they reference little pet shop of horrors in the horror genre along with Stg. Kero and Miuki-Chan in Wonderland in the last bit. still this ova was awesome, lots of good references to not only anime but to some old japanese movies.

• October 6, 2008 at 3:29 amHitsuzen

Yes, they are all left-handed(Miyuki, Konata and the twins). I was surprised when they first mentioned it in the anime. Are there so many left-handed ones? They make it seem as though left handed people are comical(as Lucky star itself is). I’m a left-handed so I can say that we left-handeds are not that comical but we tend to be more imaginative and therefore more lively. ;)

Anyway, I’m gonna watch it now! ;) Just can’t wait after reading all these!!! Especially the code geass parody!!! Lucky star is NICE!! Akira is the best!!

• October 18, 2008 at 4:10 amIvory Bill Woodpecker

OFF-TOPIC: The state of Georgia is preparing to execute a man whose guilt is very doubtful.

Appeals can be made to the state board of Pardons and Paroles via

• October 24, 2008 at 4:16 amBrent

Kagami went….

I want to **** with Konata. ko**********shite.

What did she say anyway?

• October 24, 2008 at 10:22 amBrent

(This turns out to be the number of references, and the game in Lucky Star OVA is real)

• October 30, 2008 at 8:03 pmbrianleung8912

a bit late in realizing.. not sure if its true or not..but is tsukasa and kagami a reference of kyou and ryou (short hair shy and timid, long hair violent and protective of the short hair one)… correct me if im wrong and if its just a coinecidence

• November 19, 2008 at 11:14 amkagamin

Lol, there’s a scene during the MMO part of it at a fountain/town square sorta place, and a character dressed like a witch goes by, handle looks like yuki-chan, but my copy’s too low res to see it clearly, could only definitely make out the yu and chan.

• November 19, 2008 at 11:17 amkagamin

sorry for double posting, but to brianleung8912, I’m pretty sure it isn’t the way you see it. perhaps more like lucky star parodying the typical tsundere character with twintails and long hair, and the clannad sisters just happen to fit in that stereotype.

• December 13, 2008 at 8:52 pmIvory Bill Woodpecker

“Konata-san”

Sea-maned trickster girl
    Legendary otaku
    Knows cheat codes for life

“Kagami-san”

Softer than she seems
    Refractory tsundere
    Hides deep wells of love

“Tsukasa-san”

Wiser than she seems
    Cooks for friends and family
    Holds them in her heart

“Miyuki-san”

Sweet meganekko
    She offers stores of knowledge
    Always there for friends

I posted haiku about other characters on the threads for episodes 11 & 22.

• April 10, 2009 at 1:11 pmKiki

It IS a real online game. haha.

• July 17, 2009 at 6:51 pmAwesome.

AWESOME. TOHSAKA FROM Fate/Stay Night.

:D

• January 6, 2010 at 1:24 pmKibiderce

Hello!

I am form Hamburg in Germany.

I just wanted to introduce myself with this post.

I am an expert on the topic of sex speeltjes. So Feel free to pm me if you have questions about sex speeltjes.

You can also visit [url=http://seksspeeltjes.wordpress.com/]this sex speeltjes post[/url] on my blog.

Regards!

• January 9, 2010 at 1:12 ambeeryLomyGymn

Hello everyone at this forum.

Thank you for having me here!

I would like to ask you guys something about a voorbinddildo. I came accross [url=http://www.everyoneweb.com/voorbinddildo/]this voorbinddildo site[/url]. Strange shot.

What do you guys feel about these kind of things?

Thanks,

Hope I started a nice discussion here!

Cono

• July 25, 2010 at 6:39 amcutemi2

kawawa naman si Minoru Shiraishi, laging inaapi siya ni Akira Kogami, same thing at the filipino dubbed version