CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~ – 03 »« CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~ – 01

CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~ – 02

CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   01 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   02 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   03
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   04 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   05 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   06
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   07 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   08 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   09
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   10 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   11 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   12
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   13 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   14 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   15
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   16 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   17 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   18
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   19 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   20 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   21
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   22 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   23 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   24
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   25 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   26 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   27
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   28 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   29 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   30

Summary:

In the Illusionary World, the robot and the girl have left the house, and the girl warns the robot not to go too far or else they won’t be able to return home. They are looking for junk they can use as tools for living, but the robot sees a sheep-like creature and follows it back to the girl. The girl is already holding another one of the creatures, and as the two watch the creatures trot away, the girl comments on how there was a gentle smell. Meanwhile, in the real world, Mei is still staying at the Furukawa Bakery and refuses to go home because she’s worried about her brother’s future. Sunohara, however, hasn’t thought about that much – he feels that higher education is impossible, so he’ll have to find work. He suspects that if he had a girlfriend who is strong and stable, then Mei would feel relieved. Tomoya jumps on the idea of getting Sunohara a fake girlfriend to accomplish this, but Sunohara unfortunately first chooses Ryou. Doing something like this is impossible for her, and just thinking about it causes her to start crying. Kyou rushes in to save her little sister, beating up Sunohara and slapping Tomoya in the process.

With Ryou and Kyou out, Nagisa suggests asking Tomoyo, but Sunohara is afraid of her and considers her a rival. When he sits down beside her, she first ignores him and then treats him like a wild animal. He manages to get her to say that she doesn’t want to see him to get beaten by anyone other than her, but she ends up just kicking him like she always does. Sunohara, Tomoya, and Nagisa then visit Kotomi, and she agrees to help, but it leads to her playing the violin again. Since Sunohara doesn’t have the willpower to withstand such a sound, Kotomi is out as a choice as well. Tomoya’s next idea is to ask Yukine, however she’s already occupied with helping a guy who doesn’t take kindly to Sunohara. They do some more searching, but nobody seems to be suitable for being a fake girlfriend until Sunohara and Tomoya run into Sanae that evening. To the boys’ surprise, she offers to help and is willing to use a disguise to keep her identity hidden from Mei. Nagisa isn’t particularly happy about her mother doing this, but Sanae goes ahead and tries on a variety of outfits that night in preparation for the date. Sanae explains that she had been worried about Sunohara since the baseball game, and since she knows he’s a kind person at heart, she wants to help start him down a good path. Tomoya doesn’t object, but he does convince Sanae and Nagisa not to tell Akio about all this.

Sunohara is incredibly nervous during the rehearsal date, but Sanae gets him prepared, and it’s soon time for the actual date. Tomoya and Nagisa bring Mei to meet the girlfriend, and everyone is shocked when Sanae shows up dressed in a school uniform. Tomoya’s face even turns red. Mei, however, isn’t too happy to see her brother’s girlfriend.

CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   Preview 01 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   Preview 02 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   02   Preview 03

That was probably the funniest episode of CLANNAD I’ve ever seen. After Sanae offered to be Sunohara’s girlfriend, I just couldn’t stop laughing – the the entire scene where she was rehearsing with him was comic gold. Unfortunately, next week looks a bit more serious. Then again, I probably shouldn’t say “unfortunately” since I’m curious to see what the the first serious parts of AFTER STORY will be. I thought they’d jump right into Tomoya and Nagisa stuff, but it looks like the Sunohara/Mei story could turn out to be interesting as well.

All the talk about Sunohara’s future reminds me of what happened with him in the Tomoyo chapter. Specifically this. Come to think of it, I see Tomoyo differently now that I’ve seen that episode. I keep thinking that she has some tinge of regret that she’s not with Tomoya, but maybe I’m just imagining things there. In contrast, it’s pretty clear that Nagisa is currently still very insecure about her relationship with Tomoya. I wonder if that insecurity will ever be eliminated or if it remains a part of their relationship.

October 9, 2008 at 9:16 pm
  • October 9, 2008 at 9:17 pmRaz

looking good

• October 9, 2008 at 9:18 pmpimpolla

firts!! hey!

• October 9, 2008 at 9:18 pmMyssa Rei

Ha ha, Mei arc incoming. I think it’s fairly ironic that a side arc in the games will get its day in the sun in the adaptation. Who’s next? Kappei? Yikes.

• October 9, 2008 at 9:23 pm하루히

SUNOHARA ARC!!!

• October 9, 2008 at 9:25 pmlhy

Is it just me or the animation quality of this episode is lower than the others? Girl from the dream doesn’t look so.. “dreamy” like it used to. And Sanae looks awkward at times.

Anyway! Still curious about this ep, sounds like fun! More curious about next week’s, though. I want to see Mei’s arc~

• October 9, 2008 at 9:31 pmKaioshin Sama

Oh hooray, another Sunohara (Might as well be John Dore) has meltdowns and gets beat up sounding episode. I keep thinking I’ve finally seen the last of this desperately unfunny character, but apparently he’s popular enough to practically have the focus of the show more then he damn well deserves. If this really is a Sunohara Arc then I’m probably going to be skipping over it. I seriously just do not find his antics funny in the slightest.

By the way, is it just me or does the character art look a little different this week.

• October 9, 2008 at 9:31 pmoTAKu

OMG Sanae-san in maid and school uniform!!! Must see!

• October 9, 2008 at 9:32 pmMatheys

Awesome episode. Sunohara is one of my favorite characters of Clannad, its good to see he in action sometimes.

For Omni or Divine
    You gonna blog TYTANIA? The 1st episode came out.

• October 9, 2008 at 9:36 pmJigsy

Well, looks like the whole “names in the OP being an audience screw” theory is correct.

Be interesting to see what other arcs there’ll be.

• October 9, 2008 at 9:38 pmStory

Glad to hear that this was funny. I felt kind of disappointed with the first episode; the humor just didn’t deliver like it usually did, in my opinion.

Cute outfits being involved can only be a good thing.

*fangirl moment*

• October 9, 2008 at 9:40 pmiori kun

can’t wait 4 da subs..sunohara always looks funny…wikikik

• October 9, 2008 at 9:41 pmEri

I think I have to DL Clannad now. Hehe.

• October 9, 2008 at 9:48 pmaxe1rulez

“Sanae Furukawa: I am 17 years old!” lol if she would actually say that in this episode.
    Poor Sunohara if Akio ever finds out about this (I have a feeling he will!)

• October 9, 2008 at 9:59 pmjonah

Love Sunohara’s stream of stupidity!!!

Let’s hope that Sunohara is contagious~ ^.^;

LOL

• October 9, 2008 at 10:09 pmMyssa Rei

Kaioshin: It’s just you. Only Nagisa had any change, since she put a clip on her bangs that exposed more of her forehead (and in the process made me think of Personal Color’s rendition of Koakuma from Touhou).

Plus, this is more or less a modified version of Mei’s path in the CLANNAD game, one of the better side-paths in my opinion, since it fleshes out Sunohara’s character more than a little bit.

• October 9, 2008 at 10:13 pmX

OMG, SANAE IS AMAZINGLY HOT AND MOE!

• October 9, 2008 at 10:15 pmEXIA

woot, I’m in love with 2D girls!!

• October 9, 2008 at 10:34 pmAnimeniac

wahhhh!! sanae so kawaii!!! and 2 straight episodes for mei-chan!!! definitely the best comedic episode for clannad!

offtopic:
    hey is there someone here know how many episodes kannagi have?

• October 9, 2008 at 10:59 pmKaioshin Sama

@Myssa: I still say these shots looks a bit strange:

Unless of courese that’s just the 4:3 broadcast squishing things up.

• October 9, 2008 at 11:00 pmIrie

I’m just too afraid to like this series. Everything I read months ago said this was going to be a romantic trajedy. I guess no one knows for sure but I just hate sad endings. Looks like I have to see this episode.

• October 9, 2008 at 11:13 pmMyssa Rei

Kaioshin: Oh, you meant Yukine. Come to think of it, her hair does look darker this time around.

Irie: This is a KEY adaptations. People coming into their series pretty much EXPECT sad themes, expecially veterans of the games (like myself). Stay clear if you’re not the type who can’t take getting their proverbial heart ripped out emotionally; waterworks are NORMAL.

• October 9, 2008 at 11:25 pmsadakups

*sees Joshikousei Meganekko Sanae*

BRB. I have some fapping to do.

• October 10, 2008 at 12:05 amNazarielle

Myssa Rei: I actually had no idea what this series was when I marathoned the first season right before After Stories was due to come out. I just saw that Omni had it as guaranteed, so I wanted to see what was so good about the first season to make it worth a second one, but I didn’t want to spoil it for myself, so I just watched all of the episodes. Anyway, after the first six episodes I decided I was going to need a couple boxes of tissues if I wanted to be able to watch more. :p

Man, I’ve never really liked Sunohara, he’s pretty much a typical slapstick comedy character that’s there purely to get beat up for our enjoyment, but even still, I felt kinda bad for him. I know Tomoya is just trying to help him not look like a total loser to his sister, but I’m not sure pretending that Sanae is Nagisa’s sister is the right way to do it. in b4 disaster~

• October 10, 2008 at 12:13 amMyssa Rei

Nazarielle: A few of us ‘old hands’ joke that KEY games have this built-in ‘Cry! NOW!’ trigger in them, though thankfully this is toned down in their animated adaptations. Depending on how much of a tough guy or girl you are though, parts of After Story (in the game) WILL make you react emotionally. I never teared up in Fuuko’s route for example, but I did more than sniffle during the first run through After Story (Ushiooooooooooooooo!!).

Again, the ‘Heart-SQUEEEEEZE!’ methaphor applies here in spades.

• October 10, 2008 at 12:19 ambork

Going to be a series were you were you are always waiting for the final pieces to fall into place, hoping that they do not.

• October 10, 2008 at 12:19 amDmo

Guess they’re going to do the Sunohara & Mei path first.

Be prepared to hate Sunohara’s character for the next 2-3 weeks people lol.

• October 10, 2008 at 12:23 amQuen

The story is very much a romantic tragedy Irie, stay away from the movie if you don’t want spoilers. It sure is a toughie, for me at least ^_^;

• October 10, 2008 at 12:26 amQuen

Forgot to mention anything about the episode…
    This is arc certainly central to the story, so it is pretty much filler, but very well done and entertaining filler material nonetheless. Greatly enjoyed the episode.

• October 10, 2008 at 12:29 amAnimeniac

hahahaha you guys always expecting sad endings… unlike me i’m tough… i don’t cry… but, i don’t ate for 2 days straight after watching episode 9 of clannad season 1… but i don’t cry… depression lol!!!

• October 10, 2008 at 12:32 amwhoknows

Wait, they’re gonna actually do part of the Sunohara siblings route here in the After Story of all places? I mean, they have time, but it’s surprising.

• October 10, 2008 at 12:33 amNazarielle

Myssa Rei: Yeah, I made it through the entire first season and the first episode of After Story before reading any blogs or comments on it. That’s when I found out that Clannad was actually a video game. I’m almost scared now to read comments after finding out that the information on what happens in different arcs is already out there, as I’m trying to not spoil myself. But yeah, even in the anime, it seems like they have a lot of “This is when you cry” moments. I’ve never really watched an anime like this, so I’m actually enjoying it, even if it does really rip your heart out over and over again :p It was just really unexpected at first, the only other time I’ve cried as much was Episode 13 of Code Geass R2 :<

• October 10, 2008 at 1:01 amreggie

every time Sunohara’s has substantial time in an episode. i always somehow end up on the floor laughing. he’s the most funniest character i’ve ever seen (consistence wise). but like someone wrote before me, i wonder if there gonna used the game ending, the movie ending, or an anime original. But since i’ve seen the movie ending already, im hoping for an anime original

• October 10, 2008 at 1:39 amChimasternmay

wa Sanae looked much better in her maid and neko mimi outfit lol… also glad the dream in the beginning was back. i like seeing that Girl*…

• October 10, 2008 at 2:22 amcutemi2

dating Sunohara & Sanae will be bad…. yipe, if Akio knows this, R.I.P.

• October 10, 2008 at 4:01 amsikvod00

Omni, I’m surprised you didn’t include pics of the other outfits that Sanae had tried on. =/

• October 10, 2008 at 4:14 amHikari

I hope there’s more of Sunohara later on! He’s so funny.

• October 10, 2008 at 5:11 amAnonymous

Lol figures. They’re not even related.

Imouto-san was probably adopted. Rather cliched.

Should’ve knew that they weren’t related by looking at their hair colour.

• October 10, 2008 at 5:44 amMyssa Rei

Heh? Mei and Youhei are VERY MUCH related.

• October 10, 2008 at 7:00 amMe

“Lol figures. They’re not even related.

Imouto-san was probably adopted. Rather cliched.

Should’ve knew that they weren’t related by looking at their hair colour.”

You’d be wrong then, they’re full blooded siblings and Sunohara dyes his hair to be that color. It’s not noticeable to the viewers since the Fujibayashi sisters have purple hair, Tomoya and Kotomi have dark blue, etc- but it visible to the cast as being not his real hair color. Fuko called him out and made fun of him about it back in season one actually, she said his hair color was unnatural.

• October 10, 2008 at 7:47 amtommykn

what’s that ?? is sunnohara getting jealous and vice versa mei ???

they are sister and brother just as you mentioned, right? so is this a incest or what? wuah …disgusting…they should clean it quick, that’s so disgusting, if something like brother/sister complex developes

• October 10, 2008 at 11:19 amcy-kun

@axe1rulez:
    i was also kind of hoping she will… next episode maybe???

i can’t believe mei-chan will be fooled…. ( but it worked for S-man right??XD)
    be still my fanboy heart!!!!
    *insert random fangasm here*

TOMOYO~~~~~~~~….*sighs heavily*…
    22 weeks to go…

• October 10, 2008 at 11:28 amcy-kun

Sanae-san tops the (my) saimoe list with the glasses, the uniform, the costumes, the err… ponytail/braided hair…. hmmm.. another week of restless waiting….

—-omni that wasn’t just you imagining…. we all (KNOW)..err..hope Tomoyo will be the end girl…. Show Spoiler ▼

• October 10, 2008 at 12:31 pmlinkthe2nd

Hahaha, Sunohara actually looks pretty cool during the preview. Seems like they changed some hair… Nagisa had the clip… I’d say Mei and Sunohara’s hair looks better….
    Kyou moment was the best.

• October 10, 2008 at 1:49 pmMikapon

Looks like a different team drew the characters for this ep. The team that did Lucky Star maybe? I mean, Ryou looks like Tsukasa!

• October 10, 2008 at 1:49 pmtommykn

it’s amazing how cute nagisa was when she was wearing the hairclip…she looked 100x better then without. ^^

• October 10, 2008 at 8:06 pmsaikeraku

I just love Sanae ^_^.

• October 10, 2008 at 9:41 pmheartofadeadpoet

ZOMG. Sanae is so kawaii!!!!

• October 10, 2008 at 10:09 pmMyssa Rei

Cy-Kun: You’re in denial. This is After Story, not Tomoyo After. Get with the program. ;)

• October 10, 2008 at 11:23 pmHei

Daiganga Sanae Maid

• October 11, 2008 at 2:20 amcy-kun

@Myssa Rei

I know….I haven’t finished withdrawing from Ep. 24.

• October 11, 2008 at 4:13 amtripzer0

Sunohara is the single greatest comic relief character in the history of storytelling.

• October 11, 2008 at 7:46 ammegalith

@linkthe2nd

Yeah I know.. He looks to cool that it’s scary. I think it’s because of the mood. Anyway he pwns me in the preview. XD

• October 11, 2008 at 10:06 amVertigo

Heh, pretty funny episode. Yukine Miyazawa scene was random, lol.

• October 11, 2008 at 5:12 pmHei

You know when things are going this well in CLANNAD it ain’t gonna end well

• October 12, 2008 at 3:41 amDuran

Sunohara is among the greatest butt monkeys ever… you can only laugh at his misfortunes… such as the possibility of her husband finding out (massive lulz ensures)

He should have went with Kotomi (the sound I doubt would be as bad as Aiko maiming him)

• October 12, 2008 at 4:04 amquixotic

Lol, what a gun episode. =) Only depressing thing was Kyou slapping Tomoya. Still bitter maybe? In which case, sadness.

That aside, Nagisa without her fringe is too cute! =x

• October 13, 2008 at 2:35 amkazekaeru

Oneechan is too much WIN.

I need to check her roles to see if the costumes she tries are on purpose (ex. teacher outfit for Mizuho in Onegai Teacher). If she says her trademark “I’m 17 years old” line while in cosplay, the universe might implode due to the reality-warping awesomeness.

• October 14, 2008 at 2:22 amX

@OMNI: You’re not the only one who feels that Tomoyo may have a regretted not being with Tomoya. Since after after watching the episode, IMO it looks like she wasn’t accepting Nagisa till she was dating Tomoya, especially since it was weird that she never addressed her with her name at all from the prequel.

• October 14, 2008 at 9:46 pmEvilDevil

MILF!!!!!

• October 15, 2008 at 11:00 pmawesomeness

someone should post a link to a poll to see who likes nagisa’s hair in this ep =D
    i see so far a 50-50 split

great episode

• December 28, 2008 at 10:14 pmBrianne!

Oh I am so glad that she was a fake girlfriend for Sunohara…he is really cute ^_^