Toradora! – 21 »« Toradora! – 19

Toradora!   20   22 Toradora!   20   23 Toradora!   20   24
Toradora!   20   25 Toradora!   20   26 Toradora!   20   27
Toradora!   20   28 Toradora!   20   29 Toradora!   20   30
Toradora!   20   31 Toradora!   20   32 Toradora!   20   33
Toradora!   20   34 Toradora!   20   35 Toradora!   20   36
Toradora!   20   37 Toradora!   20   38 Toradora!   20   39

Summary:

During her New Years shrine visit, Taiga runs into Yuusaku and reveals to him that Ryuuji is sick at home. Yuusaku wants to go see him, but Taiga first puts her hands together and bows to Yuusaku as if she’s praying or about to ask him for a favor. A few days later, after he’s feeling better, Ryuuji gets a chance to speak with Taiga again, and although his thoughts were on how he got rejected by Minori, his more immediate concern is how Taiga is eating ramen again and hasn’t been coming over for dinner. Taiga, however, reveals that she’s doing this for his and Minori’s sake. She suspects that Minori has been misunderstanding the relationship between her and Ryuuji to the point where Minori thinks that Taiga needs him. Because of that, she’s decided to be independent from Ryuuji from now on, and she wants him to not run away and to go ascertain Minori’s true feelings.

The next morning, as Ryuuji is leaving, his mother hands him the signed permission form for the school trip to Okinawa. His thoughts are still on Minori though, and they’re even more so after he gets back the suit he traded for the Santa bear costume because with the it comes the gift he never got to give her. As he’s staring at the hair clip that he wanted to give her, Ryuuji suddenly gets dragged into Taiga’s rampage against Haruta for getting her to say a dirty word. When Haruta notices the hair clip, he takes it, but Taiga quickly rips it out of Haruta’s hair because she feels that it still belongs to Ryuuji. The three are then greeted by Minori, but instead of greeting her back, Ryuuji runs away. Once class begins, everyone finds out from their teacher that the hotel they were going to stay in burned down, so instead of going to Okinawa, they’re now going skiing.

That afternoon, Yuusaku notices that Ryuuji is going home without Taiga, and this reminds Ryuuji of how Taiga is doing her best by herself for his sake. By chance, he runs into Ami on his way home, and she’s not particularly happy to see him, claiming that she hates him because he’s an idiot. Ami is actually meeting with Taiga and has brought a bag that Taiga wanted. After telling Ami about the change to the ski trip, Taiga also makes it clear that she doesn’t want Ami around Ryuuji during the trip. This leads to Ami hearing about how Ryuuji got rejected by Minori and how Taiga feels that this trip will be Ryuuji’s last chance to ascertain Minori’s true intentions. Before leaving, Ami suggests to Ryuuji that it’d be better if he were the only one to get hurt. Taiga and Ryuuji then head home in the same direction, and he gets the opportunity to thank her for what she’s doing. He’s still unsure about Minori’s actual feelings, however Taiga isn’t and believes in Ryuuji as well.

The next morning, Ryuuji sees Minori on his way to school, and this time, he’s able to greet her. When Taiga comes running towards them and tells Minori to grab Ryuuji, Minori does so, but Taiga then dashes past them and throws them her bag. That leaves the two to carry Taiga’s bag to school together, just as Taiga wanted. Along the way, Ryuuji comments on how Minori got her hair cut, and the two start talking about her hair and then her little brother. In class, Yuusaku announces the groups for the trip, and Ryuuji and all of his friends are together. Since they need to make a trip guide, they decide to gather at Taiga’s house to plan things out. During all this, Ryuuji notices that Taiga’s able to speak normally with Yuusaku now, but Taiga turns his attention to helping Minori make tea.

In the kitchen, Minori comments on how it’s strange that there’s usable tableware in Taiga’s home because it wasn’t that way when she last came to Taiga’s house during their first year in high school. She attributes it to Ryuuji, but he explains how Taiga is doing things on her own now. Minori nevertheless thinks that Taiga was able to do it because Ryuuji was there. She also mentions how she’s looking forward to the trip since it’s the last time everyone in their class will be doing something together, and she wishes that they could stay like this forever. Ryuuji, however, realizes that that wouldn’t be any good, and he’s determined to ascertain Minori’s true feelings during the trip. He knows that he has to do his best to tell her his own feelings which got cut off on Christmas Eve.

Toradora!   20   Preview 01 Toradora!   20   Preview 02 Toradora!   20   Preview 03

It’s good to see that the series doesn’t waste any time at this point on people – mainly Taiga – being confused/in the dark about what happened. Granted, we’re only a handful of episodes away from the ending now, so they can’t really afford to waste time, but I’m still glad that Taiga realizes from the get-go that Minori likes Ryuuji but rejected him because she thought Taiga needed him. The characters are maturing, and while I can’t help but think that the fastest solution is for Taiga to have a direct talk with Minori to clear things up, I guess there’s no fun in that, plus Taiga will eventually have to stop relying on Ryuuji anyway. On the other hand, after the end of last week’s episode, I was hoping that Taiga would be more upfront about her own feelings. I’d hate to see the series end without some acknowledgment of that.

Meanwhile, after weeks of being so gloomy, Minori manages to be cute again this episode, making her a lot more likable. I don’t think it’s too late to rehabilitate her character (and in fact it’s a welcome change), but it’s disappointing to see them doing that while at the same time having Ami becoming less and less a viable option for who Ryuuji can end up with. Ami spends most of this episode in kind of a subdued pissed-off mood, and she doesn’t look too happy in the preview either. Speaking of which, it appears that another special event (the school trip) will lead to the next advancement of the relationships. These kids never have a dull moment do they…

February 19, 2009 at 12:34 am
  • February 19, 2009 at 12:37 amGundam Maniac

The next episode kinda reminds me of school rumble

• February 19, 2009 at 12:38 am:)

swwwweeet trip so unfair so many trips XD

• February 19, 2009 at 12:43 amGundam 00

ohhhh ami does look pretty pissed

• February 19, 2009 at 12:51 amAldotsk

I hope either Ryuji or Ami confess to each other on the next ep.

• February 19, 2009 at 12:57 amPopo

whoa whoa whoa whoa, whose hands are being intertwined there?!

• February 19, 2009 at 1:06 amLelouch

They skipped the little part where he was sick. :V

• February 19, 2009 at 1:08 amesKAYEmo

• February 19, 2009 at 1:15 amIsteb

It’s kind of disappointing how they don’t create any progress between Ryuuji and Ami. So far, Ryuuji sees Ami as a friend, nothing more. If anything, I’d say he gets mildly annoyed at times. He’s also oblivious to the hints Ami drops from time to time.

• February 19, 2009 at 1:17 amcbhl

Is that a dinosaur-shaped or a fish-shaped oven mitt/puppet/thing?

• February 19, 2009 at 1:18 amStereo

I really like Minori, but I hope Ryuuji ends up with Ami >.<

• February 19, 2009 at 1:35 amMegas

Man, they’re trying to do vol 8 in 2 eps too. They’re actually making it work with smooth transitions instead of the skipping around they did in the Yuu-pres arc. I’m impressed.

• February 19, 2009 at 1:41 amBahl

Why would Ryuuji confess to Ami? He doesn’t have any interest in the girl.

• February 19, 2009 at 1:50 amAmatsu

Minorin X Ryuuji!!!!!

• February 19, 2009 at 1:50 amChicle

Yay, next episode. That part was pretty good.

• February 19, 2009 at 1:52 amIpsod

A pissed off Ami is fine too.

• February 19, 2009 at 1:59 ammagnumslinger

Usually, I root for the tsundere pairing. But this time, it’s different. I’m hoping Ryuuji and Minorin get together.

• February 19, 2009 at 2:16 amLink_Soul

TAIGA X RYUJI DONT FAIL ME NOW!
    DAMN TAIGA GET YOUR MAN NOW!

• February 19, 2009 at 2:24 amPutang

WHAT!!! BLASPHEMY!!! AMI X RYUUJI COME ON!!! YOU STILL HAVE MY SUPPORT AMI!!!

• February 19, 2009 at 2:52 amVexx

harem anime is down the hall?? This is Ensemble Cast storytelling? :)

• February 19, 2009 at 3:29 amRick

Who was the guy who wrote… “this a story of a journey, not destination”? Everybody seems worked out about it… I like ryuujixMinorin, but it won’t change the fact that will be TaigaxRyuuji… just enjoy the show!

• February 19, 2009 at 3:41 amsoyahoney

A Macross Frontier moment for me right there. ^^

I still like Minorin, but if it’s resolved too quickly, there would be no more dorama! I like Taiga and Ryuuji together since the beginning so I won’t change my mind. Although, a pissed off Ami doesn’t make me feel good either. -_-

• February 19, 2009 at 4:40 amewok

ep 20 and still no definite flags – im afraid they wont make a conclusion ending…

• February 19, 2009 at 4:41 amRickyMack

pissed off ami isn’t cute for sure, but i do sympathize with her situation. as they say: you don’t have a second chance to make a first impression. it definitely seems as if the first impression that ryuuji got of her completely turned him off in terms of seeing her as a viable interest. i say i sympathize because she seems to have recognized this a few episodes back when she was having her “you’re like a father daughter couple” conversation with him.

there doesn’t seem to be any way to redeem herself to ryuuji, and while it may definitely have been an interest in him because he’s not interested in her initially it does seem that her feelings have progressed beyond that.

• February 19, 2009 at 4:55 amjlk

“oi golgo…”

was it just me or did i find minorin amazingly cute/odd/funny/justplainminor~n when she said that?

• February 19, 2009 at 5:10 amw8ing4adeath

Vol. 8 of light novel isn’t translated yet, but…

From that pictures we can manage to imagine that sth will happen between Ryuji & Ami. But of course only then, if they didn’t fuck up the storyline. ^^

• February 19, 2009 at 5:28 amkaz

i hope this wouldn’t end like macross frontier…

• February 19, 2009 at 6:01 amMegas

I’m still wondering how in the hell that bakachibi girl gonna mistake Ryuuji for Yuu…Ain’t they even wearing their names on their coats…

• February 19, 2009 at 6:13 amReji

Oh I so hope they pull a canvas 2 ending and have him end up with Ami =X

• February 19, 2009 at 6:36 amasdf

YANDERIN!! KILL THEM ALL!!

• February 19, 2009 at 6:40 ambearzerger

chances are Ryuuji won’t end up with anyone and that they leave things open ended on the relationship front. Atleast I hope so, since anime-original endings suck.

• February 19, 2009 at 7:01 amfacepalm

@Megas

• February 19, 2009 at 7:29 amdbq12

oh damn!!!!!!!!!!! Shit is really about to hit the fan

• February 19, 2009 at 8:45 amconsalvo

a wevo, minori ya pela a riují

• February 19, 2009 at 10:14 amLelouch

I hope that he goes with Ami…

• February 19, 2009 at 10:53 amPrecise Moment

Despite Minorin finally looking a bit happier, it still doesen’t exactly rehabilitate her character for me, she still comes off as competely useless in my opinion.
    besides that, looks like a decent episode and hopefully there will be some development at the ski trip, the assumption is obviously towards Ryuji and Taiga.
    Im dissapointed in Ami as well, i thought she was an interesting character but she seems to be taking a back seat to literally everything, it doesen’t really help that Ryuji is oblivious to her hints. Kitamura seems to be out of it as well, but its mere speculation at this point.

• February 19, 2009 at 12:05 pmhuh?

@ Rick
    You’re absolutely right. It’s obvious from reading the description of the anime, months before it started airing,who the pairing would be. And considering how at the end of Vol. 9 Show Spoiler ▼

. any other ending but Taiga x Ryuji would be anime original, or just stop before where the Novel is going to end.

• February 19, 2009 at 12:43 pmGootingberg

We’ll i’m totally for Ami X Ryuji just because they look the best combination. Aesthetics wise. Minorin always seemed wierd to me and Taiga and Ryuuji is just too generic. More plot and ENDING TWISTS please Ya’ll!

• February 19, 2009 at 12:49 pmJankiel

Czemu tak mało Ami :( czemu…

• February 19, 2009 at 1:01 pmjXr69

@Jankiel
    Why u wrote reply in barbarian language as polish one is? :(
    Why? xD
    And answering to ur question – becouse.
    There’s no chance for ending Ami x Ryuji. :(

• February 19, 2009 at 1:03 pmCybergig1

Doesn’t the 10th and final light novel come out in March? then maybe the animators were given the final details and already know how it will end. The timing will be such that the final episodes would be when the novel is out so they could follow it perfectly instead of going with an original ending

• February 19, 2009 at 1:15 pmjXr69

@Cybergig1
    Hmmm, it is very propably to happen – Vol. 8 – episodes 20-21, then Vol. 9-10 will fill episodes 22-25. ^^

• February 19, 2009 at 1:52 pmSageGaiGar

Ah the cries of Ami shippers. music to my ears.

I’m thinking that vol 8 will be 20-21 too, with vol 9 being 22-23 and then the rest being vol 10.

• February 19, 2009 at 2:51 pmYogasa.S>

The only thing that is certain that we have to wait.
    Let me say something objective: The most people started watching this because of the unique characters, but they are killing the unique endings slowly but surely, and we will have a japanese-style tsundere ending… Just a little bit disappointing.
    I know, there are a lot of Taiga fan, but the majority is Ami fan(including myself).
    But this show if for japanese people, and maybe they are mostly Taiga-fans(Just maybe, I don’t know)… I’m still rooting for an Ami x Ryuuji ending despite the lack of hope…

• February 19, 2009 at 3:04 pmRyvius

Only a few episodes left!!! OMG……..

• February 19, 2009 at 4:07 pmForReal

I’m guessing the author is scramble on how to end the story, He’s probably looking for the right direction to end the story without a big controversy over the fans. Boy is he going to have to pull a code geass twist to end the story. I’m still rooting for Ami even though, thats unlikely going to happen.

• February 19, 2009 at 4:13 pmJaberlen

I got this feeling that Ami is going to cry in the next few episodes…

• February 19, 2009 at 4:42 pmRickyMack

@ ForReal

just to let ya know the author is actually a female, not to be sexist but i think her gender does play a role on the impact of this story. not sure if this is correct or not but from what i heard she fashioned the story to show that relationships stem from intimacy greater than just physical contact.

seeing as how TaigaXRyuuji’s relationship developed, one of the pinnacle scenes being at the beach house where they were in a large room yet still chose to sit close to each other as if they were in his small apartment, i think that explanation seems to be valid as to why we most likely will be receiving a “toradora” ending and why the author probably wouldn’t be as concerened about what fans would want.

the fact that she isn’t obligated to produce model kit sales ensures that she’ll get room to craft the story on her terms O_o.

• February 19, 2009 at 7:55 pmMaka

yah. Minori is back and it looks like it might be a Minori x Ryujii ending ^^

• February 19, 2009 at 9:06 pmewok

@ jankiel: witaj bracie! ale tu gadaj po angielsku :P
    @ everyone: translation of the above:
    welcome bro! but speak english or die!
    Ami FTW! she’s a supermodel, everyone in the school is hot for her and Ryuji does the “cool male lead who doesnt have a clue” trick! tsk!

• February 19, 2009 at 10:05 pm_Katana

Aww cmon Ami…Dont be mad…AmixRyuji!

• February 19, 2009 at 11:39 pmbbbear

This looks like a series I’d really like to see, but I just can’t bring myself to watch it.

• February 20, 2009 at 12:12 amLQY

My own opinion:

In this episode, I saw a boy who is really a transvestite, and a girl who is having some menstrual problem…

I guess Ami-chan is not very happy while she is working in Hawaii.

• February 20, 2009 at 12:21 amPutang

Ami needs to win, I rarely see the late comer win now a days… thus she needs to win for all the other third wheels out there

• February 20, 2009 at 2:20 amZer0zUNLTD.

w8ing4adeath,

I think that second picture was him carrying Taiga?

• February 20, 2009 at 2:27 amZer0zUNLTD.

HAREM ENDING FTW lol

• February 20, 2009 at 2:41 ampaulrenzo

@Maka

I’m in your ship too, but don’t keep your hopes up and expect ours to sink.

• February 20, 2009 at 4:14 amseung

i hope Ami or Minorin wins! I can’t really pinpoint the reason but Ryuuji and Taiga just doesn’t seem like a right pair.

• February 20, 2009 at 4:44 amTeo

Well different couples are a good match for different reasons. Kinda like a jigsaw puzzle. It’s not always obvious why they match but they do. Do they really match or is there better matches out there? We’ll see it eventually.

P.S. I want to put Inko chan out of its misery immediately. It had been a while for me since I got annoyed at the mere sight of a character.

• February 20, 2009 at 4:48 amjXr69

@seung
    I think that u r just bored as all of us in tsundere endings. ;)
    I also can barely imagine that one for now, and still hoping for Ami x Ryuji ending.
    (Minorin character was for me kinda strange from the begining of the series, I just didn’t and still don’t like her even now)

• February 20, 2009 at 9:41 amfocker27

i want ryoji and ami to be together..but i don’t think it would end like that…if you notice there was a moment when ryoji told taiga that now she can talk normally with kitamura…so that means she doesn’t like kitamura anymore…..

• February 20, 2009 at 3:52 pmbakapenpen

okay toradora wins the making me laugh my arse off award for this season! minorin and her whole golgo routine was priceless!

• February 20, 2009 at 5:41 pmNam

GARRRRR!!!!!!! AMI FTW!!!!!!!!!!

• February 20, 2009 at 8:44 pmDAMNITALL!

Why, I mean, it’s sucks that Ami is in the dark with everything, I can tell Ami won’t be happy in the end. :(

• February 20, 2009 at 9:06 pmSyllen

Ami fans need to start taking out their pitchforks and torches

• February 20, 2009 at 9:14 pmKaisos

Ami fans need to go find another series to bitch about.

• February 21, 2009 at 4:02 amvexx

They certainly don’t seem to be actually watching the story unfold…. :P

• February 21, 2009 at 3:08 pmtaki

i don’t get how you guys expect Ami to end up with Ryuji as if you haven’t been watching the show.on a side note i really didn’t expect Ami to have so many fans.

• February 21, 2009 at 3:12 pmtaki

@taki
    you idiot forgot your wish.
    right,i want a nice kiss scene at the end to rap this whole store up,don’t care how ends up with who just a solid ending,for once at lease.

• February 21, 2009 at 5:14 pmSageGaiGar

Sometimes life doesn’t turn out as you’d like!

• February 21, 2009 at 8:03 pmCraig

Ami is a great character and she seems to be the most understandable, but i doubt ryuji will end up with her because he would have to have some feeling for her by now at least. It’s a shame because I would prefer that ending, but I know well enough that it’s not going to happen at least from where the story stands now. The only way I see that happening is if they do one of those time skip at the end and show them together, but even that sounds like wishful thinking. All I hope is that they don’t end the story with her being angry with everyone. They have to bring resolve to her and ryuji story. I want Ryuji to end up with minori, not because I like her character that much, but because it shows that ryuji can defy all odds and get what he wanted even though a lot of things stood in his way.

• February 22, 2009 at 12:33 amHarmya

No way… Ryuuji & Ami… I hope RYUUJI & TAIGA end up together, there 2 cute together!

• February 22, 2009 at 5:43 amjoez

AMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all the way……

• February 22, 2009 at 7:07 amfacepalm

@Craig
    But is that what he really wants?

• February 22, 2009 at 8:29 amVectorArrow

This ep is awesome :)

• February 22, 2009 at 10:02 amKablack

I hope Ami doesn’t end up unhappy in the end…

That always happens in drama type anime somehow. That would be pretty sad in a bad/unfair way.

• February 22, 2009 at 10:49 amDazzer

I still say its gonna end up like school rumble, where noone gets with anyone, they all decide that its less messy that way, and they all get over it and get old.

OR we go to a 2nd season :D Which I’m all for.

• February 24, 2009 at 5:20 amKablack

I know, but wouldnt you want this show to wrap up and end itself with closure for once?

• February 24, 2009 at 5:26 amKuromigrl

Just curious…why dose evry1 want Ryuuji & Ami together??? I just don’t get it!!! I never really liked Ami’s attitude…however I do feel for her…her feelings not being noticed by Ryuuji at all!!! (O_O)

• February 24, 2009 at 4:36 pmara

naaa, ryuji has to acknowledge his love (not friendly care) for taiga! that’s the main plot of the serie!