Minami-ke Tadaima – 01 »« Minami-ke Okaeri – 12

Minami-ke Okaeri – 13 (END)

Minami ke Okaeri   13   01 Minami ke Okaeri   13   02 Minami ke Okaeri   13   03
Minami ke Okaeri   13   04 Minami ke Okaeri   13   05 Minami ke Okaeri   13   06
Minami ke Okaeri   13   07 Minami ke Okaeri   13   08 Minami ke Okaeri   13   09
Minami ke Okaeri   13   10 Minami ke Okaeri   13   11 Minami ke Okaeri   13   12
Minami ke Okaeri   13   13 Minami ke Okaeri   13   14 Minami ke Okaeri   13   15
Minami ke Okaeri   13   16 Minami ke Okaeri   13   17 Minami ke Okaeri   13   18
Minami ke Okaeri   13   19 Minami ke Okaeri   13   20 Minami ke Okaeri   13   21
Minami ke Okaeri   13   22 Minami ke Okaeri   13   23 Minami ke Okaeri   13   24
Minami ke Okaeri   13   25 Minami ke Okaeri   13   26 Minami ke Okaeri   13   27
Minami ke Okaeri   13   28 Minami ke Okaeri   13   29 Minami ke Okaeri   13   30
Minami ke Okaeri   13   31 Minami ke Okaeri   13   32 Minami ke Okaeri   13   33

Mouse over screenshots for captions

Summary

Part 1: Unspoken Troubles
Something’s troubling Haruka! She spends all day moping around, looking depressed. What could it be? Maybe she doesn’t know what to make for dinner. Nope, that ain’t it. Maybe she doesn’t know what to make for breakfast? Nope, not it either. Well, Kana and Chiaki aren’t going to sit this one out, as they form a plan to meet after school and get to the root of the problem! Sometimes, when trouble strikes, you just have to grit your teeth and suffer through it! There’s no time to get cheeky, but one has to remember to remain flexible and not get too enameled with a single solution!

Hey, I try. They meet up and discuss; in the meantime, Uchida and Yoshino are having tea with Haruka, and they notice she’s not feeling well! What’s wrong, Haruka? Oh, I have a cavity.

Naruhodo. Turns out, Haruka has noticed that Kana and Chiaki aren’t their usual selves either, always looking troubled and having secret conversations. Chiaki walks in on them having fun and immediately suspects that her and Kana’s place as Haruka’s imoutos been replaced by the funnier and more youthful Yoshino and Uchida. Ah well, ain’t nothing a staring contest can’t fix, eh? Ramen Fighter Miki was not available for comment.

Part 2: Without You
Chiaki has a nightmare! Kana went shopping, and never came back! Such a sad, desperate dream. To compensate, Chiaki spends the whole day attached to Kana. Even when Haruka goes out. Even when they watch TV. Even when Kana takes a nap.

After Haruka gets back, Kana dives into her arms. What happened? Kana dreamt that Haruka went to the bathroom and never came back. Ah, family.

Part 3: Tanabata Trickery
It’s time for Tanabata, and Uchida dishes out some of those paper tags where you write your wishes on. Kana busts out her pen and grabs two slips (apparently she has very large wishes), and heads out to pick up some groceries.

She’s been gone a while, and still not back… Chiaki finds one of the paper slips Kana was writing on, and it says… I can’t take it anymore, I’m leaving?! Haruka blames herself for not letting Kana buy snacks, Chiaki blames herself for calling her a bakayarou… both reminisce about how great Kana is, and after what seems like an eternity of worry, they get ready to go out and look for her…

And right then, Kana comes back. With the groceries. And the other half of the Tanabata slip. Oops.

They laugh it off, and enjoy the rest of Tanabata!

Epilogue: Hosaka wakes up from a nightmare, sweat covering his bare, sculpted body. “I had a dream… where Minami Haruka was no longer there…”

Thoughts
It’s over? It’s over. It’s over!!! Ahh, and it’s episodes like this that make me remorseful about Okaeri. I mean, it was pretty good! Everything came together quite well, the animation was solid (and not over-glossy like the first half of the previous ep), the stories were interesting, the music fit well, the characters were all enjoyable… basically, everything that made Minami-ke a success to begin with.

I’ve made most of my season-finale thoughts in my commentary for the previous ep, but suffice to say, if every episode had been done with the same level of quality and attention to detail as this one, my feelings for it would have been vastly improved. Budget was likely a big factor, but as a viewer, I shouldn’t have to worry about that. And it’s too bad – I’m not forgiving enough of a viewer to overlook all the deficiencies in productions in favor of the story. After all, there’s plenty of funnier material out there, plenty of better stories – the art quality and animation should never be a shortcoming.

On a final note, to those who questioned my status as a “fan” of Minami-ke, perhaps it would be clearer if I said I wasn’t a “rabid fanboy”, and actually someone who is constantly devastated by the declining quality and reputation of one of my favorite shows. But hey, I still watch it every week, I still blog about it – when one lives in the Bay Area and has to suffer through years of the mediocrity that is the Golden State Warriors, one tends to get used to it. But, at the end of the day, we still pick ourselves up amongst the rubble and soldier on, in the hopes that mediocrity will turn to triumph, that the Warriors will one day taste the playoffs again, that Minami-ke Okaeri will once again produce a good episode.

And I’m glad that at least in Okaeri, we finished on a high note.

March 31, 2009 at 3:26 am
  • March 31, 2009 at 3:27 amChihiro

More Minami family!!!!

• March 31, 2009 at 3:35 am7updnL

man first season was the best !!

• March 31, 2009 at 3:53 amNikkaPlz

I agree, first and third seasons were decent, the first probably triumphing over the others.

On the side note:
    “when one lives in the Bay Area and has to suffer through years of the mediocrity that is the Golden State Warriors”

i lol’ed.

C’mon Thunder, lets do this

• March 31, 2009 at 4:47 amSZ

Hmm…maybe I should start watching this…

• March 31, 2009 at 5:31 amnyaa~~

even though the storyline were good ..but ..i can’t really follow that sudden crappy art(i mean ..sudden..not in the normal episode) >.<;;;

• March 31, 2009 at 5:53 amLight

Not a bad episode but not that good either,it won’t change my opinion of Okaeri,this series was just average from start to end, It needed more Hosaka….

• March 31, 2009 at 8:52 amsuiton

WHOA! I just heard that a 4th season of Minami-ke is being made!!!

>_<

• March 31, 2009 at 9:02 amBluance

“when one lives in the Bay Area and has to suffer through years of the mediocrity that is the Golden State Warriors, one tends to get used to it”

I still have no idea why GSW released so many of their great players from 2007-2008 season that was one really solid team.

• March 31, 2009 at 10:18 amPfft

*gags*

• March 31, 2009 at 10:39 amRie-chan

OH F***! It ENDED! NOOO IT’S OVER! Damn…

• March 31, 2009 at 12:21 pmJoez

4th season??? hah…definitely a 2-chan gag. Gonna miss Haruka-sama…and Mako-cakes!!! Damn….

• March 31, 2009 at 2:25 pmLeo

it ova make

• March 31, 2009 at 7:24 pmHectotane

So everything is okay for you just as long as the pictures are pretty. (Sub-)plot points being picked out of a garbage can be damned.

There are those of us anime fans who actually CARE about characters and storylines. The last thing I wanna do is watch something whilst being reduced to a caveman.

• March 31, 2009 at 8:40 pmLithium

First season is still my favourite.

Sensei… Ninomiya-kun….. Sensei …. Ninomika-kun….. Sensei

• March 31, 2009 at 11:42 pmRick Masters

I really like this series so much… I love these 3 particular sisters, that I would mind to see a season per year. I and also like the idea to see them growing up. Haruka should graduate next season, and Hosaka should talk to her… and so on, like Chiaki and Makoto, Kana and Fujioka (O maybe Fujioka and Chiaki?) nyway, there’s plenty stories to be told, but time seem more stopped than in the Simpsons…

• March 31, 2009 at 11:47 pmRick Masters

Wait a Minute…Makoto-kun and Uchida? Now I want a 4 season NOW!!!!

• April 1, 2009 at 2:22 amquigonkenny

Minami Haruka no Shoushitsu? Is KyoAni doing season 4 of Minami-ke?

• April 1, 2009 at 11:42 pmAznCoffee

Even so, I want a 4th season…

But with a better studio. Can’t they just wait until they have more money to produce with more quality?

• April 2, 2009 at 5:10 amDr_F

I loved the first season Doumo did a great job. This defiantly did feel like the last season they would be running though. I will never forget the first season final where hosaka dilivers the soba.

• April 3, 2009 at 7:40 pmDragoZERO

The final scene when Hosaka wakes up was the best. I laughed out loud.

• April 6, 2009 at 12:52 amlol

@rick masters- The only problem is that the Mangaka hasn’t gotten to any sort of point like those. I don’t think they ever will, as this is supposed to be slice of life, not drama.

The studio could try going unique, but we’ve already seen that that is a recipe for fail (2nd season that does not exist.)