Eden of the East – 06 »« Eden of the East – 04

Eden of the East – 05

Eden of the East   05   01 Eden of the East   05   02 Eden of the East   05   03
Eden of the East   05   04 Eden of the East   05   05 Eden of the East   05   06
Eden of the East   05   07 Eden of the East   05   08 Eden of the East   05   09
Eden of the East   05   10 Eden of the East   05   11 Eden of the East   05   12
Eden of the East   05   13 Eden of the East   05   14 Eden of the East   05   15
Eden of the East   05   16 Eden of the East   05   17 Eden of the East   05   18
Eden of the East   05   19 Eden of the East   05   20 Eden of the East   05   21
Eden of the East   05   22 Eden of the East   05   23 Eden of the East   05   24
Eden of the East   05   25 Eden of the East   05   26 Eden of the East   05   27
Eden of the East   05   28 Eden of the East   05   29 Eden of the East   05   30
Eden of the East   05   31 Eden of the East   05   32 Eden of the East   05   33

Summary:

In a hotel somewhere in Tokyo, a woman wakes up and realizes that there’s a dead body in the bathroom. Since she is a Selecao, she calls up Juiz and arranges to have it taken care of as elegantly as possible. Akira meanwhile is reflecting on the game he’s involved in and is frustrated at the mysterious Mr. Outside. By chance, he’s recognized on the street by a guy that he doesn’t know, and this guy yells at Akira for everything that he’s experienced in the past two months. He’s got a grudge against Akira for leaving them in the desert, causing them to go through a lot of hardships, but when he realizes that Akira doesn’t have his memories anymore, he lets it all go. The guy reveals that he’s actually getting married the next month, and although he doesn’t understand why Akira sent them to Dubai, he attributes his social rehabilitation to it.

Over at the bakery, Saki is helping out before she has to go to her interview, and her sister’s husband has baked cookies that look like her. He tells her that she doesn’t have to push herself and that they’ll take care of her until she finds what she really wants to do, but Saki doesn’t want to trouble them though, and she finds his kindness to be painful. On the train, Saki runs into Oosugi, and the two talk about their friend Hirasawa who has ambitions to start his own company. In particular, Oosugi worries about Hirasawa’s seeming unwillingness to becoming a normal member of society. He also asks Saki out to eat later, and Saki agrees. By this point, Akira has returned home and is on the phone with Juiz about the mission to save Japan and what he can do. Juiz misinterprets one of Akira’s examples and makes the Japanese prime minister say gyafun in front of the legislature on live television.

Akira then notices the message he got from Saki and realizes that he never read it. He writes Saki a response apologizing and asking to see her, but she doesn’t answer him because of her interview. Not knowing this, Akira decides that he should go apologize to her personally, so he has Juiz track down where she is. In the interview, Saki gets asked about her opinion on the missile terrorism, and she gives a safe answer about how the presence of victims made her sympathetic. The interviewer, however, wanted to hear a more honest opinion and ends the interview early. He seems to invite her to lunch in the company cafeteria, but Saki waits there and no one shows up. Eventually, someone accidentally spills gyuudon on her, so Saki has to go to the restroom to clean up. While in one of the stalls, she overhears two office ladies talking about her not being able to take a hint and how the gyuudon was intentional.

Saki is thus feeling down as she leaves the building, and to her surprise, Akira is waiting outside for her. Akira notices that Saki is trying to fight back tears, and he gets her to leave with him. The motorcycle with the two of them on it passes by Oosugi right as he’s arriving to meet Saki. Though it’s raining later, Saki and Akira go out on the boardwalk, and Saki talks about how things didn’t go as smoothly as she had hoped after she missed the first interview and about her frustrations with how she was treated. To add to this, she feels that she can’t go home anymore even though she loves her sister, her niece, and especially Ryousuke. Akira surprises Saki by kissing her in response to all this, and he offers to take on all the burdens. He feels that he now understands what he can do, and she doesn’t have to work or do anything.

Unbeknownst to Saki, Oosugi is eating and drinking his blues away with underclassman Kasuga Haruo. Afterward, he stumbles around in the rain alone while feeling sick and yelling out his frustrations, unaware that a certain woman is approaching him.

Eden of the East   05   Preview 01 Eden of the East   05   Preview 02 Eden of the East   05   Preview 03

I have to say that, as much as I liked the timing of Akira’s appearance, the kiss, and him trying to make Saki feel better, I felt kind of sorry for Oosugi. It has to suck to be rejected like that, and to make matters worse, he appears to be the next target of the killer lady Shiratori. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turned up dead next episode, though I guess her appearance at the end could just as easily be a red herring. Either way, it makes for a nice cliffhanger and potential story path that could add a connection between the Selecao and Saki sides of the story. Speaking of Selecao, this guy is likely the same mysterious man from episode 1 (they’re wearing the same ring), and as Selecao No. 1 – someone’s who’s not on the character list on the official website – it seems likely that he’s the Supporter and/or even Mr. Outside.

It was also interesting to see that Akira didn’t kill all those NEETs and instead sent them to Dubai. The fact that that one guy was rehabilitated because of the experience makes me wonder if the director and writers are making a point that a little hardship will do the trick for the real-life NEET problem. In fact, they seemed to focus a lot this episode about the younger generation and becoming a member of society, and the series overall has been looking at Japan’s problems a lot more than I expected. In any case, next week’s episode title is the title of the series, and I find that a little odd because something like that is usually reserved for finales. It makes me wonder if something big is going to happen.

May 7, 2009 at 2:33 pm
  • May 7, 2009 at 2:37 pmHapposai

I’m a NEET!!!!!

• May 7, 2009 at 2:51 pmSana

*gasps* I see a dog! XD

• May 7, 2009 at 3:32 pmhashi

Great episode with more great work from Hayami Saori. I think the title of ep6 is the name of the college recycling club that all the friends are part of: “Eden of the East.” And from the preview, it looks as if we see more with the members next week.

• May 7, 2009 at 3:38 pmMichael Flux

• May 7, 2009 at 5:16 pmMinnie

YES! More Saki/Akira! Thank you for the screen shots like always Oni. Even though I wait for subs, I get some idea of what is going on by looking at your screen shots. I hope you get everything you’re doing in RL done soon~

• May 7, 2009 at 5:45 pmEden

OMG Awesomeness aaah !!
    Saki and Akira !!
    thank you so much for blogging :)!!!

• May 7, 2009 at 5:46 pmZeke Asch Wilder

Yes! I knew there would be be a kiss in this eventually. It got me by suprise though. When I saw it, I wasn’t even paying attention, but when my eye caught it I was like:
    -__- O.O :)

• May 7, 2009 at 5:53 pmMoor

NEED. SUBS.

• May 7, 2009 at 6:12 pmdesho?

WTF!

A kiss in episode 5…so what’s the last episode gonna feature? :D

• May 7, 2009 at 6:25 pmCrossword

Osugi as the show’s designated Butt Monkey then eh?. I love that shot in the preview pictures with everyone making the same facefault. Are we going to get a Selecao agent who actually lasts longer than an episode and a half this time?

• May 7, 2009 at 6:53 pmWingZerozxt

This is got to be the best show on right now!!! (excluding the exccessively popular FMA and Naruto)

And is definately my favourite this season!!! (followed by S.Basara V.Chronicles etc…)

Also i know its a really sad and obvious thing to say but i already want one of those phones where can i get one ? :P (but seriously they started making them to cash in yet?

• May 7, 2009 at 8:17 pmhellknight

One look i don’t want to watch because give me the feeling no need watch + unbearable

• May 7, 2009 at 8:47 pmMaka

Kissu~

• May 7, 2009 at 9:23 pmMoocow

Need sub now, this looks great.

• May 7, 2009 at 10:03 pmMeery

Ah, a kiss, alreadyyy. We all knew it was comin’ – it totally love at first sight for Saki. ~_^ I kinda liked assuming Akira was much more ”evil”/different prior to the memory wipe; killing all those NEETs. Good ‘ol Dubai.

• May 7, 2009 at 10:33 pmVC03

Even though I like Saki and Akira, them getting together is choreographed so poorly (and obviously) that it’s a little boring.

• May 8, 2009 at 1:15 amCrossword

The eleventh Selecao is a dominatrix? What the hell?

Anyway, this seems like a funny episode in a somewhat morbid manner, as we have why bondage is a rather dumb fetish, twenty thousand naked people dumped in a desert, Juiz making the Japanese prime minister say something that I assume is offensive, and Osugi getting screwed over.

Nothing like a cheap laugh at the expense of others.

• May 8, 2009 at 1:35 amkirapika

This episode is looking great, I can’t wait for the sub.

The kiss was.. I dunno? Sort of unexpected yet..ahh whatever, it’s one good thing in this episode. :P

• May 8, 2009 at 2:43 amexcalibur

“WTF!

A kiss in episode 5…so what’s the last episode gonna feature? :D”

Full Blown Fu**ing

• May 8, 2009 at 2:44 amAkiyama

Great looking episode. Akira and Saki sure did kiss rather quickly! Though since it’s supposed to take place over the time of eleven days… I suppose it would make sense.

If I were to use my “Anime Character Lifespan” senses, I’d sense that Akira may not make it through the entire series, and this saddens me. D: I say that because of the opening narration sounds like Saki is telling about the entire story and what she’s gone through, and I dunno if Akira would be there based on how she’s talking.

Oh well! I won’t worry about that for now. We are still only halfway there!

• May 8, 2009 at 3:37 amIsayama Yomi

speechless…. finally they did it… (kiss)

• May 8, 2009 at 4:35 amL…

a kiss, awwwwwwwwwww. love this episode. x]

• May 8, 2009 at 12:52 pmRuffles

I feel a tragic ending coming.

• May 8, 2009 at 6:16 pmKev

Oh oh oh, here comes Morita kissing Mayu! LOL

• May 8, 2009 at 6:20 pmdokzter

I’m a NEET too!!(for real)

• May 8, 2009 at 7:18 pmRonin8317

I found it hilarious that it only took 60 Yens in order to bribe the Japanese PM to say something.

• May 9, 2009 at 1:34 amEri

Gosh, I remember my NEET days.

• May 9, 2009 at 1:48 amQQ

i feel bad for the guy who died in the bathroom, from the way i see it, his man part got cut off D:

• May 9, 2009 at 1:48 amRaito

Whoa, this episode seemed below the first couple episode in storytelling. It just sort of ended abruptly too. Oh well, it was still good.

• May 9, 2009 at 6:38 amMr. Bushido

Did anyone find that bit after their kiss a bit strange? I’m referring to the part where he makes mention to a “Johnny” and how you have to limit your own irresponsibility when it comes to being given 10 billion yen to use. It felt like he was making an internal monologue almost / having a second personality speak, but it could be the subs I’m using – GG subs, and maybe I’m just not getting things :)

Can anyone please shed some light on this?

• May 9, 2009 at 8:06 amPlacinta

@Mr. Bushido
    Might be possible that he remembered something/someone who is Johnny or associated to him.

Btw, did anyone find this interesting, that making the Prime Minister say “Uncle” and charging only 60yen, would imply that Juiz has very close connections to the Prime Minister cause it costs so little to make him say something that stupid? That would obviously imply that Mr.Outside also has big connections to the Japanese government.

• May 9, 2009 at 8:17 amMr. Bushido

@ Placinta

Yeah, I agree, I think it’s likely he remembered something.

Apparently, Uncle is a homophone for “You got me”, so it wasn’t something that had to be prepared.

Quote:
    he said “gyafun”, which is like “you got me”.

It’s a common Japanese line, “I want to make him say ‘gyafun’”, when you want to have that person admit defeat, or say you win in general.
    When he said this to Juiz, she took it LITERALLY and made the PM say “gyafun”.

I can guess it would be a translation nightmare.

• May 9, 2009 at 9:09 amPlacinta

Didn’t know about that. Yeah, I guess the translation really would be troublesome.

• May 9, 2009 at 9:28 amOn my way to your house now

Wasn’t “Johnny” a reference to the character in the movie which i’m not sure about O_o

• May 9, 2009 at 11:28 amPlacinta

It might have another hidden meaning we don’t know about.

• May 9, 2009 at 2:20 pmpooper

Anyone else realize the blue-haired selecao cut off the man’s pen0r in the first scene and probably ate it? Her taste for human horn is supported in the following scene where she lines up all the male models. The footage focuses on the extra rare steak shes having and the blood that spills out as she carves and gobbles it down. I couldn’t help but cringe when she approached Oosugi at the end thinking he’s next on her menu.

• May 9, 2009 at 2:45 pmrinrin

Thanks for all your hardwork Omni, but please stop spoiling the episode with the pictures on the front page :)

I want to read your comments AFTER i watch the episode myself :)

• May 9, 2009 at 7:09 pmSilverwolf1492

This anime just ROCKS !
    The storyline is awesome, may be even better than death note in its own way.
    (Hope Akira won’t die thought)

• May 9, 2009 at 7:44 pmJohnny

What’s number 1 doing on a military base? Buying some new missiles?

• May 9, 2009 at 10:45 pmRin

Awwww~ Akira & Saki’s scene was so sweet~ <
    And omg I feel so sorry for Ousugi-kun, cause damn that must’ve HURT D: And poor guy, his life is about to get even worse from the looks of the it..

• May 9, 2009 at 10:53 pmkaruki

Love the kiss scene! not to mention the beautiful setting of the boardwalk really complimented the scene itself XD By the way, I wonder if there really are such mean people in companies who would do that to newcomers…cause that was just cruel o_o Too bad not much was revealed this episode but i’m looking forward to Akira’s possible encounter with that killer woman

• May 10, 2009 at 2:49 pmDenizen

Number 1 IS the guy from episode 1, you can see the same “I” symbols on their phone

• May 10, 2009 at 7:48 pmMeh

So it’s pretty much confirmed by now that Akira’s plan for “saving Japan” had to do with reintegrating NEETs into society? This ties in well with the themes of the personal experiences Saki and her friends are having. I’m interested to hear where the memory loss fits into all this. Maybe Akira undertook it to make it easier for him to relate to people who are unable to integrate with society because he’d have to go through the same process in figuring out who he is.

• May 10, 2009 at 8:13 pmjho

great episode and i totally sensed the kiss happening before it happened.

• May 10, 2009 at 9:01 pmOz

Cringes at Lady Killer voice…

• May 13, 2009 at 2:51 amnoririn

ryosuke is the supporter. nuff said

• May 13, 2009 at 2:48 pmmelon_08

i think she’ll go for the guy with the umberella… well… i can hope can’t i?

• May 13, 2009 at 8:18 pmBrosuke

Is it me, or as the show progresses I find myself disliking Saki more and more? I miss how she was in the first episode…

• May 13, 2009 at 10:10 pmhappy_chip

In ep. 06, I expect that Akira will get ‘retired’ by the Supporter. Then Saki will become a new Selecao, since her birthday is sequential to Akira’s.

• May 14, 2009 at 6:56 pmhappy_chip

Oh, and the lavender haired-woman is the Supporter. She’s going to incite Oosugi to attack Akira – presumably the way she arranged it for Kondou’s wife to attack him.

• June 19, 2009 at 4:56 pmj