Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season – 17 »« Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season – 15

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season – 16

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   00
Hina acting all cool and trying to do the “right thing”. Damn, it’s still hot.

So we still didn’t get a “hot spring” episode, unless you count the scenes they already showed in the preview last time. To make matters worse, that’s probably all we’re getting too. While I was happy to see Sakuya show up with her “license to appear out of nowhere” (note: I’m an Ueda Kana fan), there was no Hina OR Maria. I don’t really care if this is how things were/weren’t in the manga either — give me some fan-service J.C. Staff! *shakes fist*

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   01
Ginka shows up again and throws traffic light poles with Hayate. The knives and chains are evidently just for show.

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   02
“Mama nooooo!!!”

Now is it just me, or is Hayate becoming a real tease with Ayumu? I mean, he “casually” tells her that he has to give her something back for White Day. Does he not know the implications of responding to a girl’s Valentine chocolates? Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s not quite the same as girls giving “giri” (obligatory) chocolates on Valentine’s Day. Giving chocolates (or a gift) back to a girl on White Day is like saying, “I accept your feelings towards me, let’s shack up.”

Anyway, I kind of feel bad for Ayumu because she’s set her expectations pretty low (i.e. content with a one-sided love). She even made White Day easier for Hayate by telling him she doesn’t need anything when deep down inside we all know she wants a response to her confession. Poor girl. :(

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   03
We all know what Hayate and Ayumu are thinking here. “Later bitches!”

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   04
Damn you Titanic, you’ve ruined this pose for me for the rest of my life!

On another note, I don’t even remember Nagi’s mother showing up in the first season, but apparently she did. I had to look up her name and seiyuu in the credits though, because I thought this was her first appearance. For those in the same boat as me, she’s Sanzenin Yukariko (played by Minaguchi Yuuko) and passed away when she was 28 years old. I didn’t bother looking into the reason in order to save myself from potentially spoiling something else. And if they already mentioned it in the past, I obviously don’t remember!

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   05
Yukariko was a caring mother in life, despite being outsmarted by her own kid.

So what exactly did we get in terms of a hot spring episode? Well aside from Isumi and her mom’s bit at the beginning, it was just Sakuya with a drunken Nagi. *sigh*

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   06
An old hag haggling Sakuya and Nagi out of 4000 yen for a hot spring visit. I guess that’s what they do.

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   07
Oh shit, drunken minor… and on hot spring steam no less! Enter defensive stance!

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   08
It’s a mixed bath and all, but Hayate should have the decency to take off his butler suit at the very least.

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   09

So Nagi wishes for an alien to give her a sexy body. My reaction of course is “WTF” when a Mickey Mouse eared thing with eyes… EYES on its ears… shows up. Oh yeah, this freakish looking “thing” is voiced by Tamura Yukari too. It probably has something to do with big ears. (Sorry Yukarin, I still <3 your voice acting!)

According to the preview, the next episode will be the last one in this mini-arc. So with that, I’m just going to step in now with a preliminary, “I have been trolled” outcry.

Hayate no Gotoku!! 2nd Season   16   10
It has EYES… on the ear-like things on its head! AHHH!!!

July 19, 2009 at 6:29 pm
  • July 19, 2009 at 6:40 pmdbq12

I actually really liked this episode, besides, nm.

First anyone

• July 19, 2009 at 6:49 pmStan

The part where Kotetsu, Maria and Hayate were playing pingpong was not animated. The way things are, by episode 26 we would already be around Show Spoiler ▼

then we could expect the Show Spoiler ▼

though the latter seems more fitting for that episode.

• July 19, 2009 at 7:05 pmSamurai Pumpkin

Faithfully adhering to the manga. Basically the same thing. Sweet.

• July 19, 2009 at 7:26 pmStan

Also, I think Divine should be looking forward to next episode. The “real” hotspring part will unfold by next week.

• July 19, 2009 at 7:36 pmdivine

I’m trying not to get my hopes up…

• July 19, 2009 at 7:51 pmQuik

The important part of the hot springs visit should be next if they follow the manga, Which considering how close the last episode was, and how it ended. The next episode should be pretty good.

• July 19, 2009 at 8:01 pmBalfegor

Re: White Day, I don’t know how it is for teenagers, but I got the impression (primarily from the Valentines Day episode of Haken no Hinkaku) that men are expected to reciprocate giri-choco with giri-gifts. In that episode, Oizumi Yo’s character rants that men are obliged to repay the giri-choco 3X on White Day. Shinohara Ryoko’s character then replies that it’s always something useless like handkerchiefs.

• July 19, 2009 at 8:12 pmbrianleung8912

i dont read the manga so i dunno what to expect i guess… i personally found this episode probably a little less entertaining than last.. but just a little bit.. the worst hayata episode cant be not entertaining >:) …………. i think

for the little time that hina did show up… well those were my highlight as expected… the fact that she told hayate to go with ayumu made me like hina even more >:( but i secretly wanted her to take him for herself………

………………..well……………….. that sucks……………..

• July 19, 2009 at 8:23 pmChimasternmay

“Nagi can try all she wants, but Hayate and I still won’t see her as a woman… unless she shows some midriff again. >_>”
    haha that’s what i’m thinking too.

• July 19, 2009 at 8:41 pmNebs

Izumi > Nagi > every other girl in this series > Maria

Respect the pecking order.

• July 19, 2009 at 8:48 pmRemy

Got to love Hina. She’s running neck and neck with Maria in my book. Also, find me a man who doesn’t love a tsundere character and I’ll show a man who is on his deathbed.

• July 19, 2009 at 9:16 pmjamie

I’m inclined to agree with you.

• July 19, 2009 at 10:18 pmcbhl

So, divine, what about Titanic (I’m assuming the movie) ruined that pose for you?

Not particularly interesting this week; but I suspect that’s so it can run up to something interesting next week. Little bits of humor, like biking faster than the sports car and Hina telling Hayate to go with Ayumu, were nice, though, me thinks.

• July 19, 2009 at 10:49 pmdivine

cbhl:
    I don’t know if “ruined” was the right word. I guess it’s more like I instantly associate it with Titanic (the movie), for better or worse.

• July 20, 2009 at 12:07 amtehfox

lol ok, get this guys, dragonballz wasn’t quite good enough of an anime so they had to go and make a series like THIS LOL I MEAN REALLY WHAT HAPPENS IN SERIES LIKE THIS ITS JUST LIKE HARUHI AND THOSE OTHER LOLLICON ANIMES NO PLOT NO STORY JUST TALK TALK AND CUTESY LOLLICON GIRLS. AND NOW THEYVE REALLY DUMPED THEIR HEAD INTO THE TOILET AND MADE BAKEMONOGATARI LOL JUST WATCHING THAT SERIES WILL MAKE YOUR BRAIN ROT I SWEAR TO YOU THAT MUCH

• July 20, 2009 at 12:17 amChimasternmay

@tehfox

I poop on ur face.

• July 20, 2009 at 1:34 amoutcast

@cbhl omg i’m getting old, there are people who actually don’t get the titanic reference?

Still things are looking not so well for Nagi (which i thought was the logical ending couple). In one episode they set it up that hayate does not see her as a woman. And also nagi might just have a mom-complex.
    Didn’t expect nagi to back down and hamster getting some progress as well.
    Is this like an advanced reset button? Except less ressetting and more mariokart stuff where the ones in the lead get blue shields and lightning on their asses so the ones in the back can catch up again.

• July 20, 2009 at 2:09 amSirMuffin

*RAGE*
    WHERE ARE MY BARE SHOULDERS!!!???

• July 20, 2009 at 5:04 amExia

disappointed no fan service, but as everyone is saying next episode is something good so I cant wait for that.

• July 20, 2009 at 5:27 amSore no Kaze

I don’t mind the Titanic thing. At least I understand where that reference come from rather then hoping for some reference to be written down…

• July 20, 2009 at 5:30 amDragon_Knight

@tehfox

Oh, sure. I assume you say the same thing about many U.S.-based cartoons? Last I checked, Hayate no Gotoku has WAY MORE of a plot than the Simpsons, or Family Guy, etc. Don’t even talk to me about kids’ shows like Dexter’s Lab…

And most of DBZ’s plot can be summarized in a few paragraphs, which is NOT something a 200+ episode long series can boast about. Many 26 and 52-episode-long shows have a far deeper plots than DBZ ever did… in fact, the same could be said of some 13-episode-long series.

Don’t even talk to me if you count “charging up for an attack” sufficient of a plot for two to three 25-minute-long episodes?

• July 20, 2009 at 6:33 amRex

Hmm.. i cant recall nagi’s mother ever showing up in the firt season. Or getting mentioned at all.

Dragon_Knight: You’ve just been trolled bro.

• July 20, 2009 at 10:22 amMentar

divine: You’ll get enough fanservice next ep. Hina, fainting in the onsen and yuri undertones ^_^

• July 20, 2009 at 11:15 amasdf

• July 21, 2009 at 5:04 amMentar

Athena didn’t “win”. If anything, I feel positively certain that she will not be Hayate’s end match.

• July 21, 2009 at 10:18 pmbvinicius

“It has EYES… on the ear-like things on its head! AHHH!!!”
    Let me spoil you: Show Spoiler ▼

Now i just hope that this will turn in another 51 episodes.

• August 10, 2009 at 10:28 amMeomix

In the end no matter how much Hinate Ship Tease they slap in our face, Romance arc will remain unresolved for the Rest of The Series.