It’s Finally Over »« One More To Go?

Suzumiya Haruhi 2009 – 18 (Endless Eight)

Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   01 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   02 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   03
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   04 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   05 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   06
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   07 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   08 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   09
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   10 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   11 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   12
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   13 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   14 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   15
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   16 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   17 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   18
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   19 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   20 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   21
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   22 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   23 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   24
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   25 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   26 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   27
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   28 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   29 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   30
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   31 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   32 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   33
Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   34 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   35 Suzumiya Haruhi 2009   18   36

Of course there was still no end, however there were actually a few small but arguably notable differences this week, iteration 15527. For one, Kyon actually tries saying “I love you” to himself after Itsuki suggests it during the stargazing scene. The déjà vu effect also felt more pronounced since there were a few times they’d show the same scene twice through Kyon’s eyes. It also seemed like they were skimping on the animation a little during the explanation scene given how there was over half a minute focused on just Itsuki’s watch. None of this made the episode worth watching, but like I said last week, I’m going to continue tuning in for completion’s sake and so that you folks who (probably wisely) stopped will know when to come back, assuming this arc hasn’t soured you entirely on the show. Regardless, here’s to hoping it ends at eight next week.

July 30, 2009 at 7:45 pm
  • July 30, 2009 at 7:46 pmZukushi-kun

People actually give this show a 10 on MAL.

• July 30, 2009 at 7:50 pmAvenger

This show has been dead for 8 weeks, it’s starting to smell a little D: Give it a fucking funeral already!

• July 30, 2009 at 7:50 pmstarss

@Zukushi-kun
    I don’t.

• July 30, 2009 at 7:52 pmHuman

….likewise to the people that give it a 1/10. It seems like theres too many fanboys and haters out there. Get over it already.

• July 30, 2009 at 7:54 pmEld

one more to grind through! this series feels like age of conan

• July 30, 2009 at 7:55 pmGod~Knows~

A second season of Haruhi?
    What second season?
    There was only 1 season of Haruhi and there will always be ONE.
    I don’t know what this is but its obviously some kinda hoax.

• July 30, 2009 at 8:00 pmpenguintruth

*Yawn* Another week, another kick to the corpse that is the Haruhi anime.

In other news, water is wet.

• July 30, 2009 at 8:07 pmJon

I would have looked forward to Haruhi, despite whatever it is they threw at me, if this was 2006. Too bad, it’s not, so now I’ll just marathon this season after all this ends. Wonder if I would actually watch all eight or however many episode “Endless Eight” is going to be.

• July 30, 2009 at 8:11 pmCamario

Boring, but makes me glad I’m waiting this one out.

• July 30, 2009 at 8:27 pmChimasternmay

Chill.

• July 30, 2009 at 8:33 pmAnt

I’m one of those people that watches every week…already knowing what’s going to be said. I must say it’s a rather interesting effect, and you have to give them some props for doing something that no other anime had done before it. They probably felt as if they had to do something radically different with the bar set so high from the previous season. I’m also pretty sure they figured this sort of thing would happen amongst the fans of the show, but they were probably banking off the idea of “Any publicity is good publicity”. I’m inclined to agree with cause by the end of Endless Eight they’ll have all their fans crawl back like nothing ever happened and maybe get some new viewers out of it, as well.

• July 30, 2009 at 8:34 pmANDRL

I’m not sure if I should be watching these all as they come out, or if I should just marathon them later. On the one hand the first option might make me want to pull my hair out, while on the other hand, if I marathon them I might try to smash my TV from the 4+ hours of seeing the same episode in a row. Why? WHY?!

• July 30, 2009 at 8:42 pmFat Cat Lim

No mask buying by Yuki this time? Guess she has really given up at this point.

• July 30, 2009 at 8:47 pmviral

Could that be that the end of this arc will be different from the novel? I mean, in the novel Show Spoiler ▼

What is that supposed to mean?

Sorry for my poor english.

• July 30, 2009 at 8:51 pmDarma Shoten

@ Ant

Their not doing something different, their just taking a chance…and bombing completely. The only way they could save this season is by having an ending so completely outrageous that it makes you forget about the previous ‘Endless Eight’ episodes, but that’s impossible, they would have to reach “first time watching ‘The Sixth Sense’” surprise levels, which is damn near impossible.

Also,since i haven’t been watching the episodes lately, do they remember that their repeating the summer over and over again? Cause if so, how could Kyon stand it. He should be raging by now.

• July 30, 2009 at 9:07 pmFullMetalQAF

• July 30, 2009 at 9:25 pmMegas

wow…just wow. another EE haruhi. I’m out of sarcasm for this show. I must tell you, when I watched the 2nd one, I was like WTF did I turn on the previous episode instead?! Oh well. I don’t buy DVDs anyway so I really don’t care about this ploy in general, but for the ppl that do, I feel your grief.

• July 30, 2009 at 9:58 pmDaimio

@Ant

The only thing I hope is that after this they still have enough time to animate the disappearance arc.

• July 30, 2009 at 10:27 pmDat Nigga in Your Bedroom

• July 30, 2009 at 10:39 pmFan

Hey, your blog has been useful in telling me when I shouldn’t bother to watch haruhi suzumiya.

Hópefully it will be 28 episodes, but they will only count endless eight as 2 episodes. It would only be fair.

And EE is the dumbest idea ever, although I would have been fine with 4 episodes.

• July 30, 2009 at 10:45 pmJohnG

You show the same episode 7 times in a row, you rate a 1/10. This should be common sense.

• July 30, 2009 at 10:49 pmDENWA

KYON-KUN, DENWA

• July 30, 2009 at 10:51 pmIG

lol. Imagine what kind of reactions will erupt, if E8 doesn’t end next week. (Must be epic)

• July 30, 2009 at 10:52 pmrysss

I Really hope No more Endless Eight Next Week T___T

• July 30, 2009 at 10:56 pmSkallyWag

This Endless Eight horse is dead, put down the bat already.

• July 30, 2009 at 11:01 pmpockets

I’m ready to gouge out my eyes now

• July 30, 2009 at 11:19 pmBoat

I bet when Kyon finally acts he’s gonna grab Haruhi from behind and say,”I love you.”

• July 30, 2009 at 11:23 pmRaze

This joke stopped being funny seven weeks ago. SUGGESTING those iterations would have been enough for the story … this is just a mockery of Haruhi-ism. Blasphemy I tell you!

Kyoani has annihilated all respect I ever held for them.

• July 30, 2009 at 11:24 pmNecco

I so hope next week ends this stupid cycle. Although, if this is how we feel after just this many repetitions, I can’t even begin to imagine how Yuki feels!

• July 30, 2009 at 11:50 pmRaze

@Necco

Cause you can only masturbate so many times before even THAT starts to lose its edge. ;)

• July 31, 2009 at 12:17 amSeinime

KyoAni will look back and say…”Damn we trolled ourselves.” One day.

• July 31, 2009 at 12:33 amMr. K

@viral
    @Daimio

Since I haven’t read the novels and wanted to know how this thing ends without reading what seems to me a longer book than War and Peace, I dared to look at those spoilers.

And I’m out of words. That’s the solution?! I mean, wtf? All of this just for that?!

Somehow, I feel cheated. And If I had payed to watch this I would be asking for a refund.

• July 31, 2009 at 12:45 amBROOKLYN otaku

i just peep the pics.. all i can say is NICE LITTLE ASS “dirtbag aint i?” too bad her head is HUGE!!!!!!!!!! even for anime proportions AM I THE ONLY ONE THATS SEEING THIS!?! HARUHI’S head is equal to her upper abdomen!! that kinda shit only happens when your BORN!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!

• July 31, 2009 at 12:51 amsean

when life gives you lemons you make lemonade. what im trying to say is yes these 8 identical episodes suck but haruhi in 8 different swimming suits = awesome

• July 31, 2009 at 1:10 amblah

@ viral:

The ‘I LAV YOU’ was in the novel.

As for all of you complaining, just don’t watch it if you don’t like it so much. It’s not our fault your patience can’t hold this out. We don’t need your “yawn” and “Haruhi sucks now” comments. You’re the ones who are more tiring than the actual show.

• July 31, 2009 at 1:25 amGhostNPC

Am I the only one feeling sorry for the KyoAni animators? They’re forced to animate the same episode 8 times while the fans hate and rage on them.

• July 31, 2009 at 1:43 amDragon

If only Endless started with a T so we would only have two episodes. =/

• July 31, 2009 at 2:00 amashiguru

another repeat, I am dying here.

• July 31, 2009 at 2:35 amLQY

End in August…maybe September. XD XD XD

• July 31, 2009 at 2:38 amZizhou

I’m surprised no one has made mention of the “Endless” sign in front of the Yukata shop yet…

• July 31, 2009 at 2:44 amZack

@ GhostNPC

Trust me your not. I felt that way and commented back on the 4th (I think) show of this. And i agree with ‘BLAH’. To the people who are complaing, you got the right to sure, but do you really need to exercise that right? 99 percent of us are watching this free anyway. How the hell can you feel cheated? Did you have some kind of emotional unbreakable bond with the the anime studio that you just knew would never be broken? Hahah.

Sure. I’ll yell and scream as I wonder how big that number of repetition needs to be before Kyon (or someone else) says “Okay that’s enough! Were ending this Haruhi!”
    But at the end of the day, I give a nod of satisfaction thinking how wonderfully different this is. Give them originality bye doing the same thing over and over again. Genius I think.

• July 31, 2009 at 2:48 amJohn Smith

Even the fact that it’ll probably be over next week isn’t satisfactory – we still have to sit through another whole episode of the same crud only with *spoilers* at the end. Two weeks till something new, yay!

• July 31, 2009 at 3:20 amA-LAWS

I wouldn’t be so sure that its ending next week, according to a moonphase post from 2 weeks ago http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20090713#p1 which lists the DVDs for haruhi… and kyoani’s confirmation that the first DVD there is correct http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/haruhi/goods/goods_dvd2009.html …i have this odd feeling Endless 8 may go on longer.

• July 31, 2009 at 3:33 amRoy Mustang

Ha. I enjoy being trolled as much as the next fellow but they really need to fire the director and perhaps the CEO that made the decision to air the same episode 8 times.

Heh, I guess we have a chance to counter-troll by making the DVD sales 0.

• July 31, 2009 at 4:15 ammegalith

Someone sent me this link and wow…

Back to the future references?

• July 31, 2009 at 4:25 amgerbil

endless eight is endless imo

• July 31, 2009 at 4:37 amFade

Everytime I rewatch Season 2,I can choose which of the 7 same episodes to watch,that way,it’ll never get dull! Oh cool.

• July 31, 2009 at 4:39 amCoxi

To be fair while I agree that the producers are being slightly silly by continuing this from the point of view of current DVD sales and viewing figures (DVD sales of this arc will be poor and viewing figures must have dropped), as soon as they get back on with the proper storyline we are probably going to put this to the back of our minds and enjoy the rest of the series. No point in complaining just now, as omni said, just wait for the all clear!

• July 31, 2009 at 4:44 amSergio

You are brave indeed to be able to still watch this show…

Maybe Kyoani thought they wouldn’t be able to produce a season that was up to the success of the first one and decided to become memorable the infamous way… becuase indeed this season will be remembered for years to come

• July 31, 2009 at 4:47 amManOnDaMoon

• July 31, 2009 at 6:21 amActarus

Nope. i put on my green/red glasses, but i don’t see the effect. Maybe it doesn’t work well with my screen settings. Dunno.
    But hey!right, Show Spoiler ▼

• July 31, 2009 at 7:02 amNev

If they would have at least mixed up the order like they did in season one and put the repetitions in between other episodes it wouldn’t have been this frustrating.

• July 31, 2009 at 7:42 amlowut

This season got 0 rewatch value so far.

• July 31, 2009 at 7:48 amActarus

i saw the episode right now, and i discovered myself pressing the foward >> button all the time…In the end i watched it in less than ten minutes…

• July 31, 2009 at 8:13 amEEE

THREE DAYS?!

• July 31, 2009 at 8:42 amMegas

Sure it can be rewatched. Just watch the 1st 2 EEs then the last one. That’s more than ggod enough. You cam drop the other five in the toilet. For most folks, rewatching the 1st & last is more than a death wish anyway. It really depends on what they do after this shit whether I rewatch any of it at all. This shit better not goto blu-ray. 4 dics of the same episode is a slap in the face. When did the anti-archaic efforts of our little brown-haired god bitch go south. Its obviously when she started that silly club. No club. no story, no repeating 2 weeks 15538 times, the end. Now I want my 2 months of waiting for something different back, even though I watched plenty of sweet shit during that 2 months. Blah, blah.

Just get over it, Haruhi isn’t everything, its just a dried up mummy. Some people love dried up mummies, while others would rather torch them & rob their graves. The same is true of Haruhi. But they’re also ppl who don’t give a fuck either way…like me. They are the ultimate evil behind this. If you want someone to blame, leave KyoAni alone & focus your hate on the evil folks like us that don’t care…that’s whose attention KyoAni was trying to get anyway. Too bad, I watched some of it & still don’t care.

Now I can go finish marathoning Big-O :D

• July 31, 2009 at 8:44 amNyx

Coxi, you provide a truly wonderful optimistic understatement. This farce will be remembered for nothing -but- Endless Eight, unless, by some miracle, Disappearance appears.

• July 31, 2009 at 8:48 amark noir

E8 is canon, so why are people moaning?

If it was cut out, the mangaheads would cry a river cos the anime betrtayed them. So its in as it was in the novels so be happy! Its Faithfull!

note: it annoys me this scenario, but not as much as manga purists.

• July 31, 2009 at 9:09 amJR

The highlight of the episode is how Kyon answers his phone when Asahina calls.

• July 31, 2009 at 11:11 amJR

ark noir: Sure, it’s canon, but only one iteration – one day, the last one. So if it ends with the next episode that’s really the only one that’s canon, barring any grander changes.

• July 31, 2009 at 11:46 amE8

Endless 8 will end on last day of August 2009 lolz

• July 31, 2009 at 11:47 amdude

Now the question is, who here would buy the dvd, of these 8 episodes and watch them all? anyone? Who really would? Or watch the whole second season in one go including these 8 episodes.

• July 31, 2009 at 12:14 pmNyx

I don’t think anyone would have minded if a single 40-60 page chapter was omitted.

• July 31, 2009 at 12:45 pmJohn

wait what

i thought it was supposed to end at 8?? this is the 8th ep alrady no??

so it’s gonna end at 9 now?? wtf

• July 31, 2009 at 12:55 pmkyon-kun denwa

kyon-kun denwa

• July 31, 2009 at 6:10 pmNo_Seas_Ridiculo

It’s Haruhi… what the hell do you expect?

Non sense anime.

• July 31, 2009 at 7:08 pmknenteh

well atleast we know that it will end next week,8th week of endless eight,the only thing that gave me the tense is the very last de javu,i still believe in haruhi

• July 31, 2009 at 7:13 pmknenteh

@dude

well i definetly wont buy them,ill just download the subs and watch it on my PSP,XD,
    but seriously,no one would buy those,same 8 episodes,blah!!!
    but i have those 1st 6 same episodes of endless 8 right now at my psp

• July 31, 2009 at 7:22 pmNot Amused

Consider someone who doesn’t know what Haruhi is. Someone who has been introduced to anime only recently. They are really getting into it, so you recommend this show. Now consider what kind of excuses you can come up with when they honestly think it blows. Because that’s what my buddies thought, and I feel pathetic trying to defend it.

• July 31, 2009 at 8:23 pmvoxune

I see Haruhi and Mikuru sleep like that every week..

• July 31, 2009 at 9:03 pmKairu

• August 1, 2009 at 3:09 amIchigomaru

this is pure shit

• August 1, 2009 at 5:25 amraii

I believe there is something to be learned from this show. They’re trying to teach us that if you don’t act when the time comes for you to take action your life will always be in the recursion of time. Like as in the 30th of Aug Kyon felt the urge, the need to stop Haruhi and didnt do anything. He could have just blurted out her name but chose to think and think and think that of nothing to say.

Also as in the case of the homework, he left it to the him of tomorrow to deal with it. And that if you leave something to the you of tomorrow you may just regret it for the rest of your life. This applies to love, life, and everything.

Altho I do think repeating the same thing for 7 times now is abit too much. But the scene at the cafe when Kyon was stoned there really hit home. The urge he had depicted was very strong. But he still did nothing.

Sorry I’m ranting.

• August 1, 2009 at 6:53 amnop

@ raii

No at all of that. Except the fact that 7 is a bit much.

• August 1, 2009 at 1:40 pmSilverwolf X

Hope they go to 9~ Watching people ‘scream’ online is funny.

• August 1, 2009 at 6:44 pmChaos

I’m hoping Endless 8 actually *is* Endless. Mostly to read the reactions of people on this blog, who will not only be bawling and screaming, but still keep on watching.

Thumbs up to KyoAni. Epic trolling.

• August 1, 2009 at 10:09 pmmohawk

do kyoani even check their fans comments on this i know that one popular japanese guy commented on it. for some reason they just ignore ppl of it.

• August 1, 2009 at 11:02 pmElessari Edain

As the episode has been called Endless Eight since actually what was episode 2. So now we’ve finally reached episode 8 so hopefully episode 9 will be containing the end of this arc.

In the Light Novel…

• August 2, 2009 at 6:14 amVito

well i hope it ends next week bcause i cant wait to end it

• August 2, 2009 at 11:20 amKakashi_Crusade

wait, some misunderstood which run this is. this is run 7, meaning run 8 starts next week.

which can mean either one of two things:

1)based on how this iteration ended, Kyon is finally having a clue to the solution of all of this. this means iteration 8 will be the final one, the part where all 15,527 iterations slam into place

2)iteration 8 will not end. fans will scream because endless eight wasn’t eight after all. 2ch will melt again. randomc people who watch this show will explode. omni will explode. i will explode. haruhi gets torched.

-either way, something is going to happen next week, and we’ll just have to cross the bridge when we get there.

@mohawk: although fanbase has a certain influence on anime, the producers still have the last say on what to do. it would be bad to assume that Kyoani and Kadokawa are ignoring the fans, since both companies may already be fully aware of the situation (most probably, the “trolling” section of this arc and the reactions of the fans are all calculated, and this may be what they want to deliver an “epic slam”)

@Not Amused: peer pressure shouldn’t define your fandom. if your friends think it sucks, then there’s nothing you can do to change their minds, unless the whole thing starts moving in a new direction.

• August 2, 2009 at 11:31 amkorak

kyon should bring haruhi to a love hotel aaaaannd all is well.

• August 2, 2009 at 9:45 pmLinkark

Ok, that’s it. Im taking a break from Haruhi, I cant fill my computer with the same episodes. Ill keep seeing till when this “Endless Fight” will finally end.

• August 3, 2009 at 8:12 amsquirrel

I don’t get why people are still ranting about 8 episodes
    While it’s not impossible that kyoani is going to make this 8 eps, the title is from the novels which of course preceeded this broadcast and has no relation to the number of episodes

to put it simply, a picture is worth a thousand words:

• August 3, 2009 at 12:37 pmacj

loo what she wonts is for the guy to say he loves her then time will move on

• August 3, 2009 at 8:49 pmseryass

I’m slightly confused. If the animators were filling in missing segments from the novels then theoretically shouldn’t the Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi have been made before Endless Eight since that particular novel came first?

• August 4, 2009 at 8:28 amnagi

The loosing baseball team is now winning and unlike Itsuki’s claim everyone seems affected. Clothes, swimsuit, the yukata and hair style are different every time. Is the universe a little different when it’s reset? I for one think this is genius.

• August 5, 2009 at 12:56 pmErrie

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞?????????
    sigh, when is this gonna end?

• August 6, 2009 at 7:43 amkakkitondu

@seryass

It did, however common opinion is that they’re doing this so they can air Disappearance in Winter, because the story occurs in Winter right down to a specific date.

• August 7, 2009 at 7:16 pmDomz

FINALLY! Its over x.x

• August 10, 2009 at 6:34 pmchaos

what number are we at now anyway i lost count

• August 14, 2009 at 3:36 pmflow

Did anyone notice how they went all anaglyph 3D when Haruhi was leaving the cafe?