Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~ OVA – 02 (END) »« Kanokon – 12 (END)

Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~ OVA – 01

OP Sequence

Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   OP   01 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   OP   02 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   OP   03
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   OP   04 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   OP   05 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   OP   06

OP: 「木漏れ日のソルディーノ」 (Komorebi no Sordino) by 榊原ゆい (Sakakibara Yui)
Watch the OP!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Streaming ▼

Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   01 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   02 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   03
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   04 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   05 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   06
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   07 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   08 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   09
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   10 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   11 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   12
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   13 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   14 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   15
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   16 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   17 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   18
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   19 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   20 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   21
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   22 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   23 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   24
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   25 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   26 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   27
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   28 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   29 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   30
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   31 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   32 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   33
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   34 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   35 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   36
Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   37 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   38 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   01   39

Oh hey look, the first episode of the Kanokon OVA came out. I used to blog this right? Well here we go then…

That said, I wasn’t planning to blog this nor did I even know it was coming out today, but happened to have some free time on my hands. Seeing as I covered the TV series last year, I figured why not get a post out about this controversal show? I like stuff that sparks “conversation” after all.

Subtitled Manatsu no Daishanikusai 「真夏の大謝肉祭」 (“The Big Midsummer Carnival”), this two-part OVA focuses on just that. However, this first episode was pretty slow paced with all the characters doing their own thing. This includes Chizuru messing with Kouta as usual, the garbage/bug-eating Nanao ninja twins looking for food, Tayura trying to invite Akane out but not being able to, Kiriko and Yuuki doing their own thing, Mio and Omi looking like a couple, and Nozomu getting naked with no shame. There were a hell of a lot of scene transitions between everyone (which made it somewhat grueling to watch), but that pretty much sums up the episode. Chizuru’s mother Tamamo and Yukihana also show up late in the episode, with the former trying to snag Kouta away from her daughter for the fireworks tomorrow.

Surprisingly, the risqué material here is pretty tame. If you watch Kanokon for that reason, the highlight of the episode was Chizuru trying to get Kouta to eat Nagashi Soumen off her body. However, you’ll probably be disappointed by the censorship here, especially when it’s an AT-X broadcast. This is quite a shocker to say the least, given the stuff that Queen’s Blade gets away with on AT-X and the fact that this is supposed to be an OVA. Evidently, they don’t mind showing off Nozomu’s body though, which is pretty wrong given all the connotations that go along with it. Anyway, I’m going to side step that moral debate bullet and ask that you not shoot the messenger.

On another note, I’m a bit surprised that this is even considered an OVA. If anything, it’s just two extra episodes tacked onto the TV series a year later. According to the broadcast schedule, the next episode will air the very next week so they haven’t even bothered to stagger it like OVAs tend to. Also, Xebec hasn’t really done anything quality-wise to make it look and feel like an OVA. They did however give us new opening and ending themes/sequences, which are performed by Sakakibara Yui and Miyazaki Ui again (except this time they’ve swapped OP/ED roles). Albeit a bit generic, I don’t mind either of the songs; they’re much like Yui and Ui’s other stuff. However, Yui’s opening song sounds so mellow that it’s almost out of place here.

There you have it. Kanokon OVA episode one. :\

ED Sequence

Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   ED   01 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   ED   02 Kanokon ~Manatsu no Daishanikusai~   ED   03

ED: 「ルピナス~幸せの風~」 (Lupinus ~Shiawase no Kaze~) by 宮崎羽衣 (Miyazaki Ui)
Watch the ED!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Streaming ▼

October 5, 2009 at 12:56 am
  • October 5, 2009 at 1:05 amJdw67

haha forgot all about this show! an ova really? weird…

• October 5, 2009 at 1:11 amEspada

O_O

• October 5, 2009 at 1:17 amshuffleair

So you weren’t interested in Seitokai no Ichizon then?

• October 5, 2009 at 1:18 amNeo_NMO

i…. should get around to watching this… even if the plot sucks, i’m such a sucker for fanservice

• October 5, 2009 at 1:27 ambakabakashi

THE FAN SERVICE IS PURE GOLDDD !!!

• October 5, 2009 at 1:28 amdivine

shuffleair:

Not really. I might write a post about it and Miracle Train (*gasp*) later on though.

The short version about Seitokai no Ichizon is that the whole “making a bunch of meta-jokes and riding on the successes of other series” didn’t appeal to me. I like comedies, but I kind of want some story (no matter how sparse) backing it. The first episode felt like a stand-up comedy routine except it’s four girls and a guy in a single room going at it. Some of the references made me chuckle, but I need a little bit more substance than that.

Hmm, that sounded like a mini-post already…

• October 5, 2009 at 1:39 amanonymous

You’re really blogging this shit? I remember when this site had some standards.

• October 5, 2009 at 1:50 amNeo_NMO

standards? what the hell are those?

but yeah…. seitokai no ichizon kinda sucked… as reflected by gg’s poor video quality…

gg’s Tokyotosho comment:
    “We thought Kampfer was the worst show we subbed.​ We were wrong.​ || Video quality is reflective of the anime quality.​”

• October 5, 2009 at 1:59 amdivine

anonymous:

When it comes to anime, we boldly go where you’re not willing to. :P

• October 5, 2009 at 2:17 amLauren

This post made me remember why I vowed to never watch the anime.

• October 5, 2009 at 2:38 amOmegaChosen

O_o

I….I don’t know what this is. Just looking at the pics make it look like some kind of hentai with the naughtier bits edited out. I’m scared to look up what this actually is.

Yeah, I’m just going to not try with this one……don’t think I’m missing out on anything groundbreaking or something.

• October 5, 2009 at 2:39 amChaos

Now it makes me wonder…how did she make eggs that way XD

• October 5, 2009 at 2:48 amkewlmyc

DVD/BD where?

Also why show Nozomu’s nips but not Chizuru?

• October 5, 2009 at 2:56 ampierce

lol Kanokon huh? All I can remember from this show is “oshiri pen pen”. I might as well check this out for the sake of Kawasumi Ayako.

• October 5, 2009 at 3:17 amAnimeniac

wow there goes again a retarded anime in this fall line up… >_<

• October 5, 2009 at 3:51 amRei

WHYWHYWHWHYWHY Dx…………………………………………………

• October 5, 2009 at 5:40 amdivine

I blogged this one for completeness sake. Don’t feel like you have to go watch something just because I’ve covered it here. There were a handful of readers that watched the TV series last year, so this post is more for them.

• October 5, 2009 at 9:35 amblinx01

@ kewlmyc
    Not out until 21st November.
    The lack of nudity is because this aired on TV, so more likley than not, the DVD releases, much like the TV series, will feature ALOT more nudity.
    No idea why they’re airing an OVA on TV though. Perhaps in the hope to increase sales?

• October 5, 2009 at 12:49 pmMegas

Oh well, it just had to be done. But the TV version is garbage – just like the TV anime. AT-X should be ashamed :P

• October 5, 2009 at 1:00 pmfapping god

does this episode come with free tissue? fap fap fap

• October 5, 2009 at 2:33 pmBlammo

This was embarrassingly pathetic. I feel ashamed to tell people I watch anime when crap like this is made.

• October 5, 2009 at 2:33 pmChimasternmay

ya i watched it, so what.
    those crazy moments are crazy and funny.

• October 5, 2009 at 3:22 pmXJ9

Oh well. Even if it’s not that special, I’ll happily take more of Kanokon (even if Kouta is still such a wimp). It’s definitely a guilty pleasure for me. I’m looking forward to the DVD’s then (right blinx01?!?)

• October 5, 2009 at 4:37 pmShin

Nothing’s changed… sigh

• October 5, 2009 at 11:28 pmShikiGami

I’m surprised you are blogging this piece of shit and your stopped blogging gold as Umineko no Naku koro ni

• October 6, 2009 at 12:27 amdivine

Blogging a two episode OVA is not quite as big of a commitment as a 2 cour anime series like Umineko. I am watching it though.

The Kanokon OVA happened to air now. It doesn’t make a lot of sense for me to blog Umineko 14 out of the blue with no plans to continue doing so.

• October 6, 2009 at 5:17 amKinny Riddle

I became curious upon hearing of the infamous nagashi soumen scene and had to have a glimpse of just that scene, and oh my goodness… to hear Kawasumi Ayako making such voices, even though she isn’t known to moonlight for eroges, AFAIK… Now THAT’S what I call professionalism. lol

(Quite a lot of seiyuus, male and female, moonlight for eroges using completely unrelated aliases, but you’ll instantly recognize their voices if you’re a keen listener though. )

I’m glad I didn’t follow this series, though at least the characters certainly look cuter than those in Queen’s Blade, another blatantly hentai show that somehow passes the lax censors on AT-X.

BTW, to all those people complaining about why divine is blogging this “shit”, he already explained it in the first paragraph. Better to spark some discussion than none at all. Besides, who are we to tell him (or Omni and jaalin for that matter) what to blog and what not to anyway?

• October 6, 2009 at 4:28 pmMegas

Just why is it so hard for them to show Chizuru’s nipples. Its just too stupid. TV is way to gay for a show like this but AT-X with fully unc’d stuff like queen’s blade & juuden floating about, this is tame as hell. Sure the show is crappy but calling it shit because of the scant nudity is silly. Just take a look at some of the stuff that came out with Kanokon – You’ll find your ‘shit’ there.

• October 7, 2009 at 6:35 pm-Z-

it still boggles the mind how much of a pussy they turned kouta into in the anime. in the manga, he’s so much better as a character. >.>

• October 8, 2009 at 10:51 amAnime Swords

Agree with fapping god, this is pretty graphic to be on TV.

• November 9, 2009 at 8:08 pmDearS

I love this anime. Wish Koda was not so afraid (wimpy), but it hits close to home. I also appreciate the slow and changing way of this episode. Things slow down enought to be taken in more realistically. One of the best episodes in the series.

Really not appropriate in a lot of ways, so its more realistic imo. I love it.

• December 15, 2009 at 11:12 pmpubicpart

i love my slave <3 i wanna see her pee and lick her anus ^^

• November 20, 2010 at 11:19 amSigrid Solla

Hi all, – stumbled on your web site by chance when searching across the web this afternoon, and glad that i did! I like the design and style and different shades, but I really should mention that I’m having difficulties when it loads. I’m using Lynx 2.8 internet browser for mac, and the menu bit does not line up as it should be. i am sure I have employed the exact same layout on a client’s online site, but the menu seems fine on mine. I have an idea the problem is with my browser & I guess it is time to update!