Kampfer – 04 »« Kampfer – 02

Kampfer   03   22 Kampfer   03   23 Kampfer   03   24
Kampfer   03   25 Kampfer   03   26 Kampfer   03   27
Kampfer   03   28 Kampfer   03   29 Kampfer   03   30
Kampfer   03   31 Kampfer   03   32 Kampfer   03   33
Kampfer   03   34 Kampfer   03   35 Kampfer   03   36
Kampfer   03   37 Kampfer   03   38 Kampfer   03   39

「Lilie ~秘密の花園~」 (Himitsu no Hanazono)
“Lily ~The Secret Flower Garden~”

Despite having girls throwing themselves at him left and right, I can’t say I envy Natsuru when some of them just see “her” as the new plaything. A handful even go so far as tying him up and having their way with him. Wait a second, that’s not so bad…

…if they’re attractive and not complete sadists that is. So as expected, this episode revolves around Natsuru settling into life on the girls’ side of school — the highly sought after ”secret garden” blossoming with young beauties as far as the eye can see. As the new “onee-sama” to these male-starved school girls, he gets subjected to practically everything. This includes the class rep, vice class rep (Gotou Yuuko), and treasurer exploiting his popularity as an easy cash-grab, plus Akane’s younger friend, Nishino Masumi of the newspaper club, prying into his private life and publicizing that “she” is a lesbian (“lily” = “yuri” 「百合」 = “lesbian”). Due to Masumi’s efforts, this also results in some bondage and teasing, which Natsuru seemed to enjoy more than he was letting on.

It wasn’t all torture though, as Natsuru had Kaede groping his breasts and confessing to him (again), which even has Akane jealous now. While I question Akane’s taste in going after a gender bender knowingly, Natsuru’s still oblivious to her feelings because of how dense he is. To make things more complicated, Shizuku figures it’d be fun telling everyone that this Senou Natsuru is going out with the Senou Natsuru on the guys’ side. Kaede of course takes exception to this pretense, especially when she sees Akane on top of Natsuru in the library.

So now that male Natsuru is completely boned in terms of getting on Kaede’s good side, I think he should just pursue option #2: Yuri. In his female form, he could probably do whatever he wants to Kaede at this point and that silly girl would probably enjoy it. Like seriously, she’s so head-over-heels gay right now it’s not even funny. (Okay, it’s a little funny because I hear Ranka Lee throwing herself at someone.) In addition, the damn guy can get Akane too if he wants! She comes in two flavours to boot — submissive and dominatrix. Hmm, maybe I envy him a bit after all. -_-;

Despite the lack of any Kampfer fights this week, I rather enjoyed this episode because this is the aspect of the series I was looking forward to the most. Watching Natsuru in all these unfortunate circumstances (i.e. blessings in disguise) and seeing how he handles them is like watching a guy constantly wrestling with his conscience. I just can’t help but picture an inner angel and inner devil for each of his decisions, even though Natsuru is evidently a very earnest guy. That’s where the entertainment for me comes in though. While I can’t say I’d handle every opportunity like he does, it’s that whole “what-if” mentality that makes these cross-gender series funny. It’s not the laugh-until-you-cry type of comedy, but more so the, “Daaamn, I don’t know what I’d do in his shoes” type.

That said, I don’t know what Natsuru’s going to do now that Kaede hates the male version of him. However, I’m actually kind of glad they sped through the other material, seeing where we are now. Next time, it looks like Natsuru will not only have to deal with Kaede’s feelings, but the lack of support he has up top as well.

Kampfer   03   Preview 01 Kampfer   03   Preview 02 Kampfer   03   Preview 03
October 15, 2009 at 11:55 pm
  • October 16, 2009 at 12:04 amKdf

Oh my.

This is almost as bad as Queen’s Blade.

• October 16, 2009 at 12:08 amWhodat

lol yes I too enjoy this show mainly for the materials covered in this episode.

• October 16, 2009 at 12:10 amReshenKusaga

@Kdf: now that’s just going a slight bit too far isn’t it! I don’t see Kampfer devolving into a total tentacle raep-fest, just yet >_> Hopefully not ever…

• October 16, 2009 at 12:18 amomg

this show is for lesbians lol

• October 16, 2009 at 12:29 amMyrrn

@omg

Wrong, it’s a show for men who like lesbians.

• October 16, 2009 at 12:41 amMentar

This is absolutely fun ^_^

Guilty pleasure, but pleasure. And whoever compares this to Queen’s Blade needs to have his head examined.

• October 16, 2009 at 12:47 amPw3age

I don’t even know what to think about this anime anymore.

Time for Darker than Black!

• October 16, 2009 at 1:07 amSiege

Lol, Ranka Lee throwing herself at someone, i could actually see that, but anyways pretty satisfying yet down right wrong this episode is. Can’t wait until next time though.

• October 16, 2009 at 2:14 amZeppenroo

Hmm, well this show has lost me as a viewer. It’s just not exploiting the avenues it has established, and is completely phasing out the male character. So ultimately, why exactly advertise it as an anime where Male Transforms into a Female is the MALE never seems to exist, have a life, have any problems, etc… Seems more like a girl who sometimes transforms into a guy, which is problematic because she is surrounded by Lesbians. I shall no longer tune in for this. T.T

• October 16, 2009 at 2:19 amZeppenroo

Hindsight: This series would be funnier if ALL the girls in the school were actually once perverted guys. Which would explain the wild lesbianism.. If you think of it that way, this it might actually be amusing to watch. :/

• October 16, 2009 at 2:25 amNeo_NMO

It’s like being able to choose between chocolate or vanilla! lucky bastard…

• October 16, 2009 at 2:39 amcutemi2

that episode reminds me of an anime “Maria-sama ga Miteiru” at a Glance

• October 16, 2009 at 2:45 amZoe

@Mentar

Queen’s Blade – Uncensored fanservice = Kampfer

The great thing about fanservice animes is you don’t even have to watch them. They’re so devoid of story, all you have to do is go to Random Curiosity, look at the screenshots and know what an entire episode is about.

• October 16, 2009 at 3:27 amMentar

Kämpfer isn’t really about fanservice. Except for the eyecatches, there’s barely anything fanservicey going on. Not even pantsu shots.

The appeal of this show – at least for me – is the relatively fresh setting. There’s a clear continuous storyline going on, and developments carry over and matter in the next episode.

Based on what you’re writing I’m 90% sure that you haven’t even watched the episode and are just commenting without a clue.

• October 16, 2009 at 3:51 amdivine

Neo_NMO:
    I hear ya. Amen!

Mentar:
    I’m surprised you didn’t get Eclipse to pick it up. I guess it’s not “classy” enough…? You’re still my resident Kampfer supporter though!

• October 16, 2009 at 3:59 amMentar

Well, in the end it’s the translators which decide which shows to pick, and they rather wanted to do something else. Also, the translator for Index and White Album has RL issues to attend to and was therefore unavailable too.

On the other hand, it’s in good hands with gg, so I’m happy.

• October 16, 2009 at 5:56 amFlare

I loled while reading your blog :) Guess this series isn’t too bad after all. I just have to watch it after telling myself to expect nothing more than mindless entertainment.

• October 16, 2009 at 7:05 amRogosk

Honestly, I wouldn’t have expected me to say this a few weeks ago, but I’m liking this show more and more. I had a big stupid grin on my face this whole episode. Laughed too! That’s always good! Fully agree with Mentar, fun show.

• October 16, 2009 at 7:12 amewok

@ Pw3age
    if action – not romance – is your thing then decidely yes…

I am myself too gloomy about my own chances ith girls to find romance even funny.

• October 16, 2009 at 8:34 amChaos

Not much fighting this episode, that’s fine with me though. Natsuru is one hell of a lucky b*st*rd. But one way or another, I noticed that the female Natsuru is cooler than the male counterpart. Oh yeah, it’s kinda funny when the Shizuka said Natsuru was dating Natsuru.

• October 16, 2009 at 10:16 amNinja Penguin

You know you are doing something right when 2/3rds of a love triangle consists of yourself. Even if you add in Akane for a quadrangle Natsuru would still make up 50% :D

• October 16, 2009 at 10:27 ammilo

white people suck

• October 16, 2009 at 11:35 amUA=42

popsicles

• October 16, 2009 at 11:51 amX

Dam you’re right DIVINE! He could definitely go for both Akane and Sakura in both of his forms! Though, if he has to eventually choose one, IMO Akane is a whole lot better! For reasons you just mentioned lol, submissive and a dominatrix, and in both personalities Akane is hot!

• October 16, 2009 at 12:03 pmMike4DOA

So great , this show is soooo great. It doesn’t heve any real male actors in it but the female voice cast is just supurb. Say, can’t you add commentto the captcha’s? There are some real opportunities with this series to do so. hehe

• October 16, 2009 at 12:34 pmMegaman0

If the sides are so exlusive and the girls are boystarved why have a shared library…Wouldn’t that lead to…well more of what we saw at the end?

• October 16, 2009 at 12:42 pmMegas

This crap is starting to hurt my eyes. How in the hell can you date yourself o.O

• October 16, 2009 at 2:07 pmIrec

@megas, all men in some point of life, date themselve XD

Anyway,
    But to me it seem, that what happens most with cross-gender’s people is that whenever it happens, they focus mostly on trying to be a “proper”-gender like person, of course based on their very limited understanding of the other world, And fail miserably doing so.

I say if were me, and taking in consideration how dense he is. At minimun i’d go “Chance~~, I can now make friends with sakura, and help myself gain some points with her!!!”
    Of course that would just create a chaos, since if he does thing too forcefully would appear that he (she form) is interested in himself (he mode) and create a nice “triangle” of two people!!

Well I wish he grew a brain maybe it would be more interesting.

• October 16, 2009 at 2:31 pmKinny Riddle

I think Queen’s Blade puts people off because its fanservice and nudity was way too “in-your-face” for their liking.

Kampfer seems to get the balance just right, their service is less on the “meat” but more on the “dokidoki” factor. But even a pseudo-yuri setting is not enough to attract my attention. I’ll openly admit that I came here for all the twisted genderbending humour, and I was not disappointed in this aspect.

While Natsuru is enviable, I don’t know whether to pity him as well, now that he’s become his own love rival for Sakura’s affection, lol.

Natsuru, just admit you’re more suited as a girl than a guy already, besides, you get all the affection of all the girls for entirely no effort whatsoever. Unless you’re a homophobe, what’s there not to like about it? :p

I must concede I’m saying this from the POV of a straight guy, so I have no idea how this line of perverted thinking would work for straight girls if the premise was exactly the opposite: a pseudo-shounen-ai story with Natsuru transferring from the female to the male side full of pretty boys.

• October 16, 2009 at 4:12 pmMegas

@Irec: I’m talking about ‘date’ yourself not ‘fuck’ yourself – oh I guess its the same in that sense when it comes to Natsuru :P

As for Natsuru, just damn him to hell. How can you pity him – at first thought I he had a female’s brain & was just trapped in a boy’s body, but now I know for sure he’s a guy since he’s acking so damn awkward as a girl. He may as well have been a futa as a guy, but now as a girl, he’s a twit – a dense, perverted twit. But I’m the ‘S’ to his ‘M’ so there you go. He should enjoy life while he can. Too bad the damn fool can’t even transform on his own yet – being able to have ‘fun’ with yourself as a girl and a guy must be heaven…

• October 16, 2009 at 6:13 pmGod~Knows~

Most of the lesbians I’ve seen irl are basically ugly man-woman creatures.This show helps me escape that harsh reality. ;)

• October 16, 2009 at 7:05 pmmice

In case no one noticed yet kampfer is a comedy.
    If you can’t enjoy the jokes stop bitching and drop it. the humor isn’t meant for you.
    If you think this is Queens Blade, please only post your comments after you have seen the shows.
    If you think it is mindless crap and you are looking for something deep, go back to school and study some more please.

• October 16, 2009 at 8:33 pmVent

I’m so watching this anime!

• October 17, 2009 at 12:12 amMearex

man, shows now adays has… very low…. i don’t even have the words to type for it. it’s miss so much if you compare now and 5-8 years ago, back then a lot of the anime accually make some since and have a good story line, now it’s all above big female parts……… what has the world come to.

• October 17, 2009 at 6:31 amDerp

Some people clearly have not watched the show.

• October 17, 2009 at 3:24 pmMearex

i have watch the show from 1 to 3

• October 18, 2009 at 4:11 amDerp

Oh, so you were talking about Queen’s Blade then? My bad.

• October 18, 2009 at 10:00 pmLunDun

ehh wtf persona trinity soul music at the ending part!

• October 19, 2009 at 9:14 amfoamer

i don’t love or hate this show but i can’t stop watching it O_O

• October 19, 2009 at 8:17 pmTama

Haha… I guess i will stick with this series, watching lesbian ranka and the others is so hilarious isn’t it?? ^_^

• October 21, 2009 at 2:40 pmBlaque

He got raped! I mean, seriously! What the HELL?!?!

I also think he should probably persue the Akane option at this point myself. I feel bad for her really. She seems to like him in his “default” state best, but he’s completely oblivious to her. For the girl that spends the most time with him, I just get this sense of “thrown under the bus” so far really.

Ah well, we’ll see how this goes, but I have to say, has a lot of “What the hell?” to it.

And stuff.

• October 23, 2009 at 3:01 amPresto

It’s a funny idea IMO. Whoever the translator is, though, has some issues. What’s up with the whole “stop watching f&^%ots”? Maybe someone just needs to stop translating it and pass it on to someone else a little less raged.