BIGBANG – Koe wo Kikasete PV (Ohitori-sama OP)

It’s funny the things you can inadvertently come across on the Internet when you’re trying to blog an episode of anime and looking for some new PVs at the same time. While this is completely unrelated to anime and has no precedence here, I found the song interesting enough to post about it. It’s titled “Koe wo Kikasete” (Let Me Hear Your Voice) and is the opening theme of the currently airing Japanese drama Ohitori-sama. Now if you’re somewhat unfamiliar with Asian music, the unexpected part is that BIGBANG is actually a five-member boyband from Korea. This isn’t the first time Korean artists have ventured into the Japanese market, nor will it be the last, but I’ve been pretty detached from the non-anime-related music scene for the past while. As it turns out, they’re another one of YG Entertainment‘s money-making creations and a pretty popular one too. For a detailed rundown of the group, I’ll refer you to their wiki page.

What I wanted to point out though is that I found this song surprisingly good for a very odd reason. It doesn’t sound very Japanese at all. Neither does their pronunciation of the lyrics, which sounds a bit off to me at times. In short, it sounds like what it is — a Korean-ized Japanese song. But I’ll be damned, it’s really catchy and I’ve been looping it for the past while. I guess I’m not the only one that thinks so either, seeing as it topped out at #4 on the Oricon charts earlier this month. If you’re negatively swayed by the image of Asian boybands (or boybands in general), I suggest not watching the PV right away, simply clicking play, and letting your ears decide. I unintentionally did the same when I stumbled on the video and walked away for a bit, then heard the song playing from afar and thought, “Hmm, this song’s pretty good.” Anyway, you’ll probably notice that their rappers have pretty good English as well, something I find fairly common with Korean artists given how heavily influenced they are by western hip hop and R&B artists.

That said, I’m kind of tempted to go check out the Ohitori-sama drama now. Based on the synopsis, it sounds like something I’d enjoy too. This might not be a good thing from an anime blogging perspective though. I can feel my Jdrama senses tingling. Once you get caught up in the whole drama phase, it’s hard to get out of it for a while! Hmm, what to do…

November 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm
  • November 25, 2009 at 11:14 pmAnimeluv

oh my god i love Big Bang!!!!

• November 25, 2009 at 11:34 pmAnonymous

The song was pretty good (the Engrish bits had me LOLing as usual), but the music video had me cringing at the cheesyness of it, as I always seem to when I force myself to watch Asian MVs…

• November 25, 2009 at 11:37 pmAvalon85

Ohitori-sama is definitely worth checking out. Thanks for the PV, they only play a really tiny part of it during the jdrama.

• November 25, 2009 at 11:43 pmshuffleair

Ah, this song is really catchy. I’m kind of compelled to watch the drama now. >_>

• November 25, 2009 at 11:47 pmpierce

lol After reading the sypnosis of Ohitori-sama, I was curious to know the main characters’ real ages. It turns out that Koike Teppei (Kamisaka Shinichi) is indeed 10 years younger than Satomi. The show seems interesting if you’re into love stuff, which isn’t something I’m too excited about.

• November 25, 2009 at 11:59 pmAzbaby

Divine u have finally joined the other side to the asian media wave i welcome u and the drama is good very cliche sorta but it is a fun jdrama to watch nonetheless

• November 26, 2009 at 12:02 amSomeone

Hoooooh I’m a BIG Big Bang fan *o* I listened to the song on the day it just came out and fell completely in love with it <3

• November 26, 2009 at 12:06 amSyllen

lol the song is ridiculously catchy

• November 26, 2009 at 12:10 amdivine

Thanks Azbaby, but who says I haven’t been on this side before… OR have been from the very beginning. =)

• November 26, 2009 at 1:05 amZenFalyn

Quite a good find, indeed. I was surprised at how well they did some of the English bits in the song, since it brought a different feel to it once it did happen, but I thought that it made the overall performance a bit richer.

I had to lol at the music video itself, though.

• November 26, 2009 at 1:44 amKey

I have to agree with you.
    Once you venture into the drama-world you won’t get out so easily…
    As of big bang, I’m totally in love with them.
    I just gotta love their songs, but it surprises me that Taeyang ( The one with his sides shaved), Daesung ( which sings most of the interlude of the chorus) and Seungri (the one with the short hair) get to sing the majority of the song.
    Nonetheless I still like them.
    Have to check out the drama now I guess.

• November 26, 2009 at 1:58 amciq666

wow, nice song and good english

• November 26, 2009 at 2:27 amKari

One Piece had a Korean band earlier this year too. Perhaps its a new trend?

• November 26, 2009 at 2:27 ammaAkusutipen

I am with your observation that their pronunciation was really strange.

I really thought to myself… Is it just me or has my ears gone bad? I kept thinking that since they actually released a japanese single like this they really put some effort fixing their enunciation, right?

Well, at least someone else noticed it and here I was being paranoid.

• November 26, 2009 at 2:37 amm

Meh. I can’t find anything good to say about the song. The genre it inhabits doesn’t do anything for me.

I am always up for trying out new dramas though. Looking at it from afar it reminds me a little of Anego.

• November 26, 2009 at 2:44 amStuff

oh wow, finally got rid of their wannabe gangsta concept they had going on. I’ll give them a chance now. Haven’t listened to a YG artist since Lexy.

• November 26, 2009 at 3:04 amrawrME

TOP~

• November 26, 2009 at 3:21 amMasami

Needs more G-Dragon. Just kidding. Love this song, love Big Bang.

• November 26, 2009 at 3:32 amHotarubi

ehm…some pronunciation is weird, but overall it’s very good…i don’t know what you guys are smoking.
    ohitorisama is an awesome drama, you should check it out…it’s a very light hearted comedy with very cute characters haha.

• November 26, 2009 at 4:09 amFreya

roflmao….I’m watching this drama now.

• November 26, 2009 at 4:14 amoTAKu

I highly recommend the drama at the moment. That asides BIG BANG!!
    People have to remember that this is only their 3rd major Japanese release. They’ll get better over time, like TVXQ/DBSK/Tohoshinki.

• November 26, 2009 at 4:57 amTOP2NE1

Oh shit, it’s T.O.P.

On another note, I had no idea this was going to be used as an OP.

• November 26, 2009 at 5:46 amfullmetalQAF

The video is so dramatic and over the top, but the song is really nice!

• November 26, 2009 at 7:33 amJo

Very surpised to see Big Bang PV here!!
    they have got good vocal at the very least..

• November 26, 2009 at 7:46 amoutcast

ah i liked the whole randomc densha otoko, yamada monogatari phase :)

• November 26, 2009 at 8:06 amHeadshot

Why everyone`s talking about BB?
    Srsly. DBSK/Tohoshinki are way better.. (or Super Junior) just for example.. they already released japanese songs before Big Bang.

But yeah.. it`s just my own music taste.
    But you`re right the song is really good ( I actually liked their Lies also, the only two songs of them that I like xD).

• November 26, 2009 at 8:09 amRozeh

VIP here (VIP = big bang fans like to call themselves) and a jdrama watcher (I can’t say I’m an addict.) I totally recommend ohitorisama! A bit cliche, yeah but for some reasons, I really like it. <3

I admit Big Bang’s English sound a but weird but it’s way better than Japanese Engrish. You should check out their English songs too. Like the song Number 1 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6zm9v_big-bang-number-1-mv_music

• November 26, 2009 at 10:15 ameda

when i 1st heard the song, i listen to it 2 days straight, wihout even bothering with other songs
    just repeat, repeat endlessly
    i’m not really into korean idol groups’ songs, but this 1 really got me interested ;)

• November 26, 2009 at 11:20 amDarkStriker

Taeyang :3 u guys should try wedding dress or ora yeah too :3

• November 26, 2009 at 11:30 amYakamaru

Oh my holy mother of god.

That is one hell of a song!

Love it!

• November 26, 2009 at 1:41 pmTM

Oooooooo! I’ve actually never seen the music video before =O I have the song and I love it but I never got into the drama nor the mv lol so I’m glad you posted it ^^
    I’ve always been into asian music so I’m not surprised to see BB come up with Japanese songs, although it does have an interesting twist compared to a lot of the anime songs I have haha! When I first heard the song, I wasn’t used to hearing anything but Korean come from their voices =P It’s still odd since I don’t even know how well they know Japanese… >_> (yet they’re singing it?)
    and YAY T.O.P!! =) Too bad he doesn’t have many lines this song =(
    If you didn’t know, A LOT of top Korean bands, ARE all guys… but they produce some catchy songs ^^ try it!

@ DarkStriker:
    Haha! It’s like the #1 song for Koreans and non-Koreans everywhere now =P I’m not in LOVE with the song… but I admit hat Taeyang has a great body =3 hehe* he’s such a butter face (except a guy? O_o) since I’m not a fan of his

• November 26, 2009 at 5:09 pmSentinel

Their hairstyles… O_o

• November 26, 2009 at 6:57 pmseracx3

yeah i agree, the song is catchy.
    not surprised coming from big bang xD

c:

• November 26, 2009 at 7:25 pmVandsy

You’re right, if you don’t watch the PV but just listen it’s nice and catchy. Just can’t stand watching them ~_~;

• November 26, 2009 at 8:05 pmYoukaiMikoSama

Kyaaa Big Bang <3 xDDDD

luv their songs lol

and this is just my opinion but I found Ohitori-sama really, really boring.

My friends and I were working on something then we were slacking off a little so we went to check out the drama that big bang’s new song was in(Let Me Hear Your Voice) and we were really tolerant xD after part 1(which is like 10 minutes) we were like….”skip, skip, skip” xD maybe because it was the first episode but still xD but I loved the moment when the main guy(Koike Teppei) ran into the post xDDDD we were replaying that scene for at least 4 times xD

But me and one of my friends(there were a total of 3 people) aren’t drama people so…maybe that’s why we didn’t really find it enjoyable(?).

• November 28, 2009 at 12:20 amJin

Anyone else find it odd the group leader G-Dragon sings like 1 line?

• November 28, 2009 at 4:47 ampiggybank

LOL TOP looks like he’s trying to swat away a fly.

• November 29, 2009 at 12:34 amMao

I watched Ohitori-sama for Teppei Koike and Koe wo kikasete was a bonus LOL..When i first heard it in the drama (They played it for like.. 10 seconds).. i really didn’t like it at first cause it sounded so generic..but the full song was ok i guess…(Not that into Big bang now.. only JE LOLXD)

I guess my ears are only made for the cheesy bubblegum pop that JE produces

• November 30, 2009 at 8:24 amchloe

Both the group and the drama are awesome, you should check them out :3

• December 4, 2009 at 2:21 pmluya

lol kind of typical Big Bang. Taeyang and Daesung doing all the work, but people creaming over GDs cam whoring. XD

• December 6, 2009 at 4:07 pmshinri

i didn’t think their pronunciation was bad at all (english or japanese)
    and i speak both; or maybe im just corrupted by jpop :p
    i personally like Big Bang a lot, though i wish GD and TOP had a greater
    part; maybe ill check out ohitorisama afterall :)

• December 9, 2009 at 3:13 pmsydney

back when the song first came out, i’d HEARD it was for a jdrama, but i just enjoyed the song lol however, after reading your post i looked up the drama and i’m going to try watching it now XD

as a side note to some of the comments, seungri did his solo thing, GD was out and about with his solo stuff, and TOP was getting into this kdrama called IRIS, so i think they took more of a backseat. taeyang has wedding dress but that was after so.. yeah.