Bakemonogatari – 14 »« Bakemonogatari – 13

Bakemonogatari – 09, 10 (DVD/BD Version)

Episode 09 Comparison

Bakemonogatari   09   Comparison 01 Bakemonogatari   09   Comparison 02
Bakemonogatari   09   Comparison 03 Bakemonogatari   09   Comparison 04
Bakemonogatari   09   Comparison 05 Bakemonogatari   09   Comparison 06

Left side images are the original broadcast version, right side images are the DVD/BD version.

The fourth Bakemonogatari DVD was released this week, and, as anticipated, there were a lot of changes from the original broadcast of episodes nine and ten. For episode nine, I was a bit surprised to see that they re-animated most of the episode in terms of style and coloring and that they managed to keep everything consistent with the original TV broadcast (likely because it was based on the same storyboards). The original version actually comes out looking a bit more detailed than the redone one, which is more stylized. It’s also worth noting that they changed Hitagi’s facial expression, which you can see above, as well as Tsubasa’s which makes her look more sinister.

Episode 10 Comparison

Bakemonogatari   10   Comparison 01 Bakemonogatari   10   Comparison 02
Bakemonogatari   10   Comparison 03 Bakemonogatari   10   Comparison 04
Bakemonogatari   10   Comparison 05 Bakemonogatari   10   Comparison 06

Episode 10 New Scenes

Bakemonogatari   10   New 01 Bakemonogatari   10   New 02 Bakemonogatari   10   New 03
Bakemonogatari   10   New 04 Bakemonogatari   10   New 05 Bakemonogatari   10   New 06

Episode ten felt like it had less redone than episode nine, but that’s mainly because there was less of it animated in the first place. Compared to the original broadcast version, the DVD/BD version featured a lot of new animation in place of all the stills. Some of that was fanservice, including some rather gratuitous camera work aimed at her crotch, and then there was this, but it also made a lot more sense what was going on in the action scene between Koyomi and the jagirinawa. Plus, they re-did Nadeko’s OP sequence for episode ten so that she’s no longer wearing her hat.

All in all, if you enjoyed Bakemonogatari, then it’s worth it to re-watch these two episodes to see what SHAFT changed and how episode ten was supposed to be. Now if only they would finish and release the final two episodes…

January 28, 2010 at 12:46 am
  • January 28, 2010 at 12:52 amPw3age

• January 28, 2010 at 12:53 amAdeptZero

Is it just me or does that picture with Nadeko with her hat removed makes her look like C.C. a bit?

• January 28, 2010 at 12:55 ama_grue

what the hell is this supposed to be? i know it’s a snake but it feels totally wrong

• January 28, 2010 at 12:57 amMooMooCow

Losing the hat makes the walking scene look a lot better. The hat felt really tacked on and you can see it moving around when it shouldn’t be.

• January 28, 2010 at 12:58 amdamian

Hmm, guess Ill ask here again; Are you gonna blog Katanagatari? It just came out…

• January 28, 2010 at 1:01 amOmni

damian: As I said in the comments of this week’s Bleach post, it’s on my list of things to do, but my regular series took priority. Also on my list of things to do is the DtB extra ep.

• January 28, 2010 at 1:06 amdamian

@Omni

Ah, I see. Thanks. :)

• January 28, 2010 at 1:07 amkyonkun

Holy crap, that snake crawling out of the mouth is like WOW
    Glad they redid them and can’t wait for the other episodes to come out soon:)

• January 28, 2010 at 1:11 amzzeroparticle

Wait, so the cost-savings screens still remain? That’s kind of a shame since those kinda irked me just a bit. Oh well, I forgive them since they did release Renai Circu, so eh.

• January 28, 2010 at 1:44 amProgeny

@a_grue

Yeah! IT IS totally wrong.
    A constrictor is supposed to be outside.
    What are they trying to imply?
    Oh well, anything goes.
    Still, this one’s better.

• January 28, 2010 at 1:52 amPhosphatide

Ha, they added lens flares. I’m amused.

• January 28, 2010 at 2:28 amkarasu

1)Shinbo likes little girls
    2)Snaaaaake
    3)Divine blog that FF13 shit yo, it’s so boring playing it, you need some incentive :V

• January 28, 2010 at 2:32 ammutio

Why aren’t there any subbed BD Rips, bah :(

• January 28, 2010 at 3:27 amAkizuki09

Meh…really curious about Divine’s reactions for FF13…personally I was disappointed by it, so much potential I felt was just wasted for a blah plot. Though I’m always open to others opinions.

On Topic – How is the BD version compared to the DVD, like is there really any significant visual improvements or roughly about the same? I really REALLY enjoyed Bakemonogatari because of the art style and was thinking about getting the BD edition, but is it worth the extra money?

The extra/changed scenes are a nice touch though, thanks for comparing to the original.

• January 28, 2010 at 3:29 amkarasu

@akizuki09: if you slowed down and just took things slowly, it’s not that bad of a game, the design is frustrating sometimes, but I’m glad that at least they know which parts might be frustrating (since the game addresses those problems well enough). The story is meh, yeah, but I don’t hate it, at least. I think the main gripe I have with the game is that it’s not very engaging.

• January 28, 2010 at 3:45 amお化け屋敷の主人

Wow, so they actually did remake quite a few scenes. I mean, I know they were going to make some changes to the TV version, but never knew they were going for this many scenes. Anyways, I like the redid version more than the original TV one, especially the first set of images on the top left. The remade expression on Hitagi’s face is soooo seductive.

• January 28, 2010 at 3:54 amNebs

Why’d they remove her awesome hat? D:

• January 28, 2010 at 4:28 amHimeka

What the hell is that!?!
    My Hitagi-sama looks like a retard there Q___Q

• January 28, 2010 at 5:21 amEspada

• January 28, 2010 at 6:18 amArcad

OK now that the Blu-rays are out, lets get the rest of the episodes now.

• January 28, 2010 at 8:15 amKiseki

The BD/DVD version of the OP is definitely much better, but the hat was so cute! ; n ;

• January 28, 2010 at 8:16 amKiseki

Er, I mean, Nadeko wearing that hat, anyway.

/still too lazy to watch bakemonogatari anyway ahurr

• January 28, 2010 at 9:52 amShimapan

I like the OP with the hat more don’t know why.

• January 28, 2010 at 12:28 pmNoirsword

y helo der Nadeko snake fellatio. As if the invisible snake gang rape sequence in the broadcast wasn’t enough, that extra scene sort of seals the deal…

• January 28, 2010 at 4:29 pmProoof

lol yea definitely blog katanagatari its great

• January 28, 2010 at 4:33 pmqwe

MOE SELL DVD/BD !

• January 28, 2010 at 5:16 pmNathan Wang

where can i watch the dvd episodes

• January 28, 2010 at 6:09 pmBROOKLYN otaku

lens flares……hat removed………..uhhhhh………??????………..WELL!! i think the original version will suffice fo me, I’m not sure if i can handle these seemingly unlimited extras.

• January 28, 2010 at 7:41 pmOuce

I don’t know, a substantial chunk of the redone scenes are rubbing me the wrong way. However I’m all for newly added material to do away with some of the still frames (unless of course they’re close-ups of someones crotch). The morphed facial expressions and color schemes give the animation a more vibrant exaggerated feel which was what this anime initially avoided thus why I enjoyed it so much. A smiling Hitagi and a snake-eyed Tsubasa is all wrong in my book. Perhaps if they release a blu-ray version identical to the television broadcast and leave the added scenes then I’ll be interested but I can’t help but get the feeling I’m asking for too much.

Having said all that, have there been any alterations to the soundtrack? I hope not.

• January 29, 2010 at 12:00 amski

I don’t like how they changed Hitagi’s expression. It doesn’t seem right. It would have been better if they retained her expression and just changed the background and her outfit. Some of the redone scenes are quite interesting though.

• January 29, 2010 at 1:35 amunderMebius

I wish someone would upload the updated version in the internet. ;;

• January 29, 2010 at 11:23 amAuroraFlame

I don’t understand. Some of the original scenes look better than the dvd scenes. Unless I’m missing something, how is this considered an improvement:

• January 29, 2010 at 2:18 pmkarasu

because shading isn’t everything.

• January 30, 2010 at 10:58 pmflipflop

• February 1, 2010 at 10:40 amyuu

i’dont like serie -.-

• February 1, 2010 at 4:29 pmBigFire

It’s strange that they actually have a Nadeko version of the end credit animation: