Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 46 »« Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 44

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 45

Fullmetal Alchemist   45   01 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   02 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   03
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   04 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   05 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   06
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   07 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   08 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   09
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   10 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   11 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   12
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   13 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   14 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   15
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   16 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   17 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   18
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   19 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   20 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   21
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   22 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   23 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   24
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   25 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   26 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   27
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   28 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   29 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   30
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   31 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   32 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   33
Fullmetal Alchemist   45   34 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   35 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   36

Summary:

Greed confronts Wrath about the memories that he’s experiencing, but Wrath calls him a fool, and the two engage in a brief battle. Wrath clearly has the upper hand, and after nearly getting his head cut off, Greed is forced to retreat. Sometime later, over at the Armstrong estate, Olivier tries to convince her father to retire and turn over the family to her, so her father has Alex to fight her. Olivier has very little trouble defeating her brother, but Alex has also realized that Olivier goal was to send the rest of the family away on vacation so that they wouldn’t be taken hostage. Meanwhile, May Chang arrives in Youswell on her way back to Xing, and she runs into a lot of friendly people. This makes her feel bad about what she’s doing, and Envy decides to use this to his advantage to convince her that it’d be better for her to go back to Central.

On the outskirts of Central, Ed and the two Chimera head to the old cabin because Ed thinks that Al might be there. Instead of running into Al though, they encounter Ling and end up feeding him. Ling subsequently fills them in on how Greed has cut ties with the Homunculus and how he took back his body for the time being. Unfortunately, Ling feels Greed returning, so he tells Ed that Father is planning on opening the gate when a certain day arrives, and he suggests that Ed and Al could get their original bodies back if they jump in at that time. Greed then regains control of the body and starts to leave because he has no business with Ed and company, but Ed stops him by suggesting that they can become his friends and allies. Being the greedy one though, Greed refuses because he feels that everything in the world belongs to him.

After thinking about it for a moment, Ed chases after Greed and agrees to work for him as a subordinate because he recognizes the opportunity. While this is going on, Ed and Al’s other allies are also on the move. Izumi and her husband learn of the promised day thanks to a message passed to them from Al and Hohenheim, and Izumi allows herself to be captured at Briggs so that she can pass along the information to Miles and Buccaneer. Falman then informs General Grumman who gets the message to Hawkeye, and Hawkeye in turn lets Mustang know by passing along to Havoc a message inside a pack of cigarettes. The message says that the promised day will come the next spring and that the north and east will make their move.

ED Sequence

Fullmetal Alchemist   ED4   10 Fullmetal Alchemist   ED4   11 Fullmetal Alchemist   ED4   12
Fullmetal Alchemist   ED4   13 Fullmetal Alchemist   ED4   14 Fullmetal Alchemist   ED4   15

Watch the ED!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Streaming ▼

Fullmetal Alchemist   45   Preview 01 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   Preview 02 Fullmetal Alchemist   45   Preview 03

So the action budget for this episode looked like it was blown in the first few minutes for the fight between Wrath and Greed. The battle was short but pretty exciting, and it’s too bad Greed withdrew. The rest of this episode felt like it was setting up for a showdown that’ll involve everyone, including Izumi (whose housewife scene here was pretty funny) and all of Mustang’s former subordinates. Not surprisingly, Envy was able to convince May Chang to go back to Central. What was interesting was how Ed joined forces with (or rather, agreed to work under) Greed, which makes a lot of sense strategically, but I didn’t think Greed would actually go along with it.

This episode didn’t end in a traditional cliffhanger either. Rather, they changed the ED sequence, probably as a one-time special montage which you can see above, to reflect how all the different players are in motion. To further emphasize the idea of the promised day, the episode title card was even the last thing shown in the episode, not including the preview for next week. All told, it was pretty effective, though I’m really hoping whatever happens is worthy of the build-up. I assume that the ED montage also represents some time passing and that next episode will be much closer to the spring date.

February 21, 2010 at 4:24 am
  • February 21, 2010 at 4:28 amAlec

And so the wait for the subs begin TT

• February 21, 2010 at 4:32 amOrangere

Lots of stuff coming up now. Very excited.

• February 21, 2010 at 4:37 amHomuncurus!

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!
    I’ve yet to see it, but I can already feel this episode will be an epic one. I love what they did with “moving all the pieces” for the final showdown. Even though I noticed they ruined the shit out of Gluttony’s surprise comeback later on..
    If only my Lusty was still alive to see all this awesomeness. ; 3;
    Also, apparently super pissed off Homunculi get their own hardlines/mad/rough drawing attack, (Lust’s final attack and Wrath’s in the second screenshot). @ w @

• February 21, 2010 at 4:37 ampenguintruth

This episode contains dangerous amounts of awesome. It may not be suitable for people with weak hearts.

Greed vs Bradley, Olivier vs Alex, my patience vs the long info-passing bit.

Twas a pretty good episode.

• February 21, 2010 at 4:39 amSugoi

Some sweet things are gonna happen in the next episode!

• February 21, 2010 at 4:39 amKaAya

Believe me, it’s worthy. So far, at least.

• February 21, 2010 at 5:17 amKuroir

Can someone explain me what happens in the manga exactly after this? what about Winry and Ed? Any developments with them?

What about Ed’s relationship with his father?

• February 21, 2010 at 5:51 amPLH

They’re finally truly gearing up for everything, and a perfect way to do it.
    Hopefully subs will be out tomorrow, same as the last two weeks. I’m very excited for this one.

• February 21, 2010 at 5:53 amKandur

@Kuroir:

• February 21, 2010 at 6:35 amwaha

for those who read the manga already

omg

• February 21, 2010 at 8:58 amKori

I don’t understand how Olivia pwned Alex cuz she had neither super strength nor alchemy. Probably that was why the full fight wasn’t shown.

• February 21, 2010 at 9:03 amZero

Oh man… they actually plan on ending this series in 51 eps. Or less. No wonder the beginning went by so fast.

• February 21, 2010 at 9:49 amwtf?

what a stupid ending.

• February 21, 2010 at 10:29 amMiko86

It feels like there’s still a lot of things to happen, yet they’re already ep 45. How many episodes are still there? ANN shows about 63 episodes, though some are saying it’s wrong. Hard to comment when I haven’t seen the episode yet. ED looks awesome though, great way to foreshadow on things to come.

• February 21, 2010 at 10:33 amsamu

@Kori
    Olivia does have super strength. She picks Alex up with one hand and throws him 20+ feet across the dining room, many times considering all the holes Alex makes. She holds him in a headlock with one arm while using her other hand to hold her sword up to Alex’s throat! I think she really could best Wrath or Lin/Greed. Didn’t little sis pick up a grand piano? The girls don’t get the thick muscles, thankfully.

• February 21, 2010 at 10:37 amWTH

• February 21, 2010 at 10:38 amyoukokun

I’ve never seen that happen with an ending sequence. I thought it was very creative of them.
    Greeling is my favorite character to watch move around. He tends to be wherever it suits him and it’s fun trying to see if he’s developed. It’s a pity, like someone said, he’s like allergic to screentime!

• February 21, 2010 at 10:48 amAznCoffee

Awwwwwwwyeah. We’re finally getting down to the “Switching cameras every 5-minutes” part.

I just can’t believe how great this series has been. Something I can actually look forward to every week and not get disappointed on.

• February 21, 2010 at 12:16 pmdamian

The final arc begins next week!

• February 21, 2010 at 12:55 pmDeet

EPIC WIN OF EPIC PORPORTIONS!!
    YYYYEEEEESSSS
    I can’t believe how far along Brotherhood is :D

• February 21, 2010 at 1:35 pmCornwiggle

What the hell?

YOUSWELL AND MAISON IN THIS EPISODE?!

I’m absolutely shocked.

• February 21, 2010 at 1:37 pmmoo

Zero… it is NOT ending at 51. Where did this stupid rumor come from?

• February 21, 2010 at 2:18 pmSomeKindaNick

Somehow Im guessing this is the point where fillers begin.

• February 21, 2010 at 3:05 pmdamian

@SomeKindaNick

Like I said, the final arc starts next episode; so no, no fillers. This is the point of no return.

• February 21, 2010 at 3:14 pmJackDawkins

The eye-catch of Ed holding Winry’s earring is just too weird xD
    Man though, Ed needs to stop clenching those earrings in his fist, he gonna break them.

• February 21, 2010 at 3:24 pmHomuncurus!

I’m really happy with what they did regarding the Armstrong brawl. And for those of you that complain they cut too much stuff from the manga, the Armstrong fight in the manga was nowhere near as long as it was here.

No, the series is NOT ending in 51 episodes. Whoever started that rumor needs to burn in a fire.
    No, there will not be any fillers. If anything — ANYTHING — I’d say we might get /one/ more recap episode, like the Prelude Party/Hohenheim one. And even that one, for a recap, was very interesting on its own.
    I’d say we’re looking at a 55-60 episodes series here.

• February 21, 2010 at 3:48 pmarnyjk

Even 55-60 episodes is low. I’m betting 63 is on the mark, especially with how little there is that can be cut out at this point.

I really wonder where people are pulling 51 episodes from. Yeah, that’s the first series episode count, but that’s a totally different story.

• February 21, 2010 at 5:09 pmSol Fury

I think people (like me before I was set straight) were assuming 51-52 based on a standard non-Dragonball class anime length. Fortunately it’s got the extra 12 or so episodes to wrap things up.

Looks like a good episode, can’t wait until the subs come out and I can see it for myself. Looks like a ton of stuff happens, but that’s only to be expected with the size of the cast right now.

I’m not all that surprised to see Gluttony, though, as he was hinted at to be returning a while ago, and since we’ve not seen Greed/Ling for almost as long I figured they were off somewhere chilling until being called into action or something.

• February 21, 2010 at 5:15 pmDeet

Anyone notice the music used during the armstrong fight? :D I LAWLED when they started playing it.
    They’ve only used that track 3 times before.
    Lust vs. Mustang
    Ed/envy/ling going through the gate
    and Olivier riding up the elevator in a mother freakin tank.

It’s been used in the series most epic moments, and here they use it for one of the funniest moments. I LOVE IT :D

• February 21, 2010 at 5:40 pmpenguintruth

I’d like to see a spin-off series just about the Armstrong family.

• February 21, 2010 at 9:29 pmGuardian

I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but this show really is the highlight of my week. I look forward to every Sunday just so I can see the screencaps and then the show itself. I don’t know what I’ll do when the series finally ends later this year. :(

I’m not sure how Olivier beat Alex, but the fact that he didn’t use alchemy probably had a lot to do with it (that we could see, anyway–but then, we didn’t see Alex perform a single offensive move). Especially since the Armstrong girls seem to have all the power of the Armstrong family without the huge muscles. If Alex was trying to fight fair by not using alchemy, Olivier definitely has the edge in battle experience.

• February 21, 2010 at 10:52 pmLin-Meitoky FMA fan

that´s a great pictures, and thanks for the informations about the new ending, thanks!° sayo!!

• February 21, 2010 at 11:08 pmKevin

Alex pleading “NOOOO!” is just too darn funny.

• February 22, 2010 at 1:23 amMitochondria

Why can’t Olivia Armstrong take off her shirt everytime she engages in battle, like her brother?

• February 22, 2010 at 2:40 amdragon

[TMD-Raze] Fullmetal Alchemist 2 Brotherhood Episode 45 SUB ENG avi 480P

LINK DOWNLOAD

• February 22, 2010 at 4:15 amAcylia

@dragon
    “Please DO NOT ask or give links to raws/subs/PVs”

Hm.

• February 22, 2010 at 8:20 amSplash

I find it ridiculous that a sister with a sword can beat a state alchemist brother like she did. He should just go and kill himself in shame.

• February 22, 2010 at 9:02 ammegalith

Can’t wait for more Greed vs. Wrath! That short fight was already epic beyond proportions.

• February 22, 2010 at 10:35 amKinny Riddle

The epicness of Greed vs Wrath needs no further mention from me, it’s already been well elaborated by everyone else here.

Gotta love the last bit, where the message from Hohenheim and Al from Lior got passed all over the country, first to Dublith, then Briggs, then East City, and finally Central. The special ED montage this week further emphasizes how everyone is in motion for the fightback against Father and his minions.

As with the first FMA series, Mrs Armstrong is once again voiced by Paku Romi (Edward), while the cute piano-lifting Catherine Armstrong is voiced by Kugimiya Rie (Alphonse). XD

As every Kugimiya fan knows, she’s used to these loli roles (Shana, Taiga, Nagi, etc), so her voice was easy to recognize. Paku Romi’s feminine voice needs a bit more concentration in order to identify. (The reason Kugimiya is credited as Catherine and Paku is not as Mrs Armstrong is because Alphonse didn’t have a voicing role this week)

• February 22, 2010 at 10:56 amV6

woah, talking about moving through the manga quickly.

• February 22, 2010 at 12:03 pmhms-one

@ dragon

F*ck TMD-Raze, they suck. [Eclipse] had their speed sub up sometime late sunday/early monday.(I got up @ about 9am and there were already 1300 seeds) Their subs and video quality(720p) are just plain better than TMD and they are always early. 2 weeks ago(the episode w/the part where people were talking over each other when Scar/Marcoh/May left) their sub didn’t post until tuesday. In response their last two subs were up the same day. Plus they are pro’s(if speedsubbers can be called such) with their own tracker, not releasing to hotfile/megaupload bullsh*t. Besides, why watch a crappy speedsub when one need only wait a week for the official sub stream. Read the rules before posting links, ASS. gfy dragon.

rant closed.

Loved the episode. Greedling rules! It’s only a matter of time before he gathers up a new chimera team. The back end of the show, including the credits and the message sequence, was a nice way to catch up with the rest of the cast before whatever happens next. The author has not let a single charachter go to waste yet, and I feel they will all play some role before the end. It was nice to see Havoc again, I really like his charachter in this show.(/the manga?) Also the Grumman butt grope scene was F-ing hilarious. I like Grumman, too, he’s eccentric. Another fine example of this series’ lack of throw away charachters. Character is the most important storytelling element for me, which may be why I freaking LOVE this show.

• February 22, 2010 at 12:47 pmActarus

Long time since i left the last comment here. This far i must say that i enjoyed this ep’ a lot!The characters are developing quite well, and mostly i loved Ed’s changing attitude, from the spoiled brat of the first season to the short :D man he’s now, a direct effect of the distance from Al…

important question for OMNI: are you going to blog Gundam Unicorn?

in any case this blog rocks.

• February 22, 2010 at 2:37 pmZeross

Is she trying to perform a gatotsu with the wrong hand ?

• February 22, 2010 at 2:47 pmLoL

Image 2 for forum avatar or wallpaper = epic win

• February 22, 2010 at 3:57 pmSatoida

Epic episode. I’m happy… goodness knows how much got in the way of my watching FMA this week so I’m so glad it didn’t dissapoint.

During the ending I was like ‘omg it’s all coming together now!’

• February 22, 2010 at 4:24 pmROFLMAO

just epic…

• February 22, 2010 at 6:52 pmAznCoffee

Eclipse isn’t bad, but they’re not that great either.

I remember back when Geass R2 was being subbed, they misspelled that giant satellite gun (FLEIJA) plenty of times, even though it was clearly written “FLEIJA” on the monitor. herp derp.

• February 22, 2010 at 8:49 pmDark_Fishie

Speaking of Eclipse…

In one of the early episodes (Ep 2, I think), the on-screen text of “4 years ago” was translated as “4 years later”. The scene was a flashback of Ed and Al’s childhood. GG.

• February 22, 2010 at 11:34 pmKaris

The Greed vs Wrath fight was much more pronounced than it was in the manga.
    Epic part: Flying dish.

I noticed in the manga when Wrath tried to behead Greed, he used the back of the blade, but not in the anime, which makes more sense.

• February 23, 2010 at 6:58 amJamalCS

the anime is pretty damn close at the manga

• February 23, 2010 at 7:33 amKabayongtao

Good Episode.

*requests for gundam unicorn*

• February 23, 2010 at 8:49 amJoseph

Notice how when Ling is in control his hair covers the left side of his face and when Greed is in control it covers the right?

• February 23, 2010 at 11:25 amCornwiggle

Yeah, Eclipse is pretty good, but they’ve mispelled Kimblee and Drachma a few times.

But eh, that’s hardly worth nitpicking.

• February 23, 2010 at 11:26 amCornwiggle

The only mistake that’s really bothered me was when Hohenhim talked with Pride. It was like “Pride? I see, that means avarice” in the Eclipse sub.

No matter how you look at it, avarice means Greed. Period, there’s no way it could mean Pride, so it makes little sense.

I think maybe they were going for “Arrogant” which would have been better.

• February 24, 2010 at 2:29 pmhms-one

well, no speedsub is ever gonna be perfect, but as far as video/audio quality and speed of release I have no complaints so far about their FMAb releases. I know I am watching an amatuer sub, and I don’t really care as long as I get to watch the show at a release rate comparable to the japs. Besides, the TMD releases of FMAb are just too awful for words.

• February 24, 2010 at 2:42 pmJackDawkins

They didn’t show Wrath’s blade slicing through the bottle did they? I always loved that part in the manga… :(

• February 26, 2010 at 2:03 amabe

you know i find it said that the awesomeness of FMA’s short run easily eclipses over the hundreds and hundreds of chapters of Naruto,Bleach and One Piece. It is the best one out of all of them. All the characters are well developed and have their moments to shine. The overall plot is amazing and grew to beyond words when I peeked at the manga. The manga seems like it will end at CH.106 or 107. I am writing this to say that I am really going to miss this series. There arent a lot of decent pieces of work that have been able to hold my interest like this. It is like watching Supernatural which is going head to head with some supernatural deity as well. So anyway as usual I loved this episode they all that came before it. I really hope for some kind of a good ending these characters really deserve one with all the stuff they have been though.

• February 26, 2010 at 2:04 amabe

*sad not SAID what i thinking

• February 26, 2010 at 10:31 amRuu

@Zero:

Yes FMA is going Show Spoiler ▼

• February 26, 2010 at 11:03 amCornwiggle

I don’t know why people are making references to Evagelion. It’s a pretty stupid comparison.