Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 48 »« Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 46

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 47

Fullmetal Alchemist   47   01 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   02 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   03
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   04 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   05 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   06
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   07 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   08 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   09
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   10 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   11 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   12
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   13 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   14 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   15
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   16 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   17 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   18
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   19 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   20 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   21
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   22 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   23 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   24
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   25 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   26 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   27
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   28 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   29 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   30
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   31 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   32 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   33
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   34 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   35 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   36
Fullmetal Alchemist   47   37 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   38 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   39

Summary:

Ed, Greed, and the two Chimera travel to a village outside of Central and find Hohenheim. After being greeted with a punch to the face, Hohenheim meets Greed and then goes through the process of explaining everything. He offers to let Ed use him as a Philosopher’s Stone, but Ed refuses to use those innocent lives. Hohenheim is glad to hear this and then turns the subject to how Father is planning to use the solar eclipse tomorrow. Ed makes it clear that the only reason he’s joining forces with Hohenheim is because it improves their chances of winning, but Hohenheim doesn’t mind the reason as long as they’re fighting together. As Ed starts to walk off, he tells Hohenheim about Trisha’s last words, and he’s surprised to see his father cry about it. Leaving his father to reminiscence about his mother, Ed has dinner and then buys some red cloth to transmute a new coat because he knows the final battle is coming. He also asks the Chimera about sticking with him, and they explain that their intuition tells them it’s better this way. Greed, on the other hand, refuses to reveal why he’s going with them back to Central. As the group walks along the woods outside of the village, they run into Al, and Al wants Ed to follow him. Realizing what’s going on, Ling takes control of his body momentarily to warn Ed, and it turns out that Pride is possessing Al’s armor.

Around this time, over in the East, Grumman’s men are still searching for King Bradley’s body. Grumman feels that they can’t head towards Central yet, and Miles suspects that Grumman is willing to let Mustang and Olivier do the dirty work so that he can come in afterward as the hero. Back where Ed and company are, Pride reveals that he’s there to get rid of Greed and take custody of Ed. He’s quickly able to grab Greed and tries to make Ed submit by threatening the nearby village, however Ed responds by using his alchemy to knock out all light in the area. This makes it impossible to see, but it also means that Pride cannot use the shadows. Greed suspects that Pride’s real body is inside the forest, so he sends Heinkel after Selim while Darius and Ed try to get away. Unfortunately, they get attacked by Gluttony who had been waiting nearby. Since Gluttony is hampered by the darkness, Darius agrees to try to fight the Homunculus, and while he’s initially successful, he inadvertently knocks Ed out in the process. Ling then convinces Greed to trade places with him and is subsequently able to fight Gluttony effectively. This angers Gluttony enough to cause him to open up his stomach, but before he can use it, someone arrives and slices him up. Ling realizes that this person is none other than his bodyguard Lan Fan, and she now sports a bladed automail arm.

Fullmetal Alchemist   47   Preview 01 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   Preview 02 Fullmetal Alchemist   47   Preview 03

Well this episode certainly had the action that we haven’t seen much of in the past couple of weeks. Actually, I guess that was in the second half, and the first half mainly had Ed finding Hohenheim prior to running into Al/Pride. What was impressive about that first part was how sad it was when Ed told Hohenheim about Trisha’s last words, especially when Hohenheim started crying. It really made me hope that he gets a happy ending via noble sacrifice or something (I should mention that I have a hard time seeing Hohenheim surviving this series). Also, the Grumman and Miles scene made me question Grumman’s character – I thought he was a good guy, but that made him sound like he could be just another power hungry old man.

As for Pride, he looked really creepy in Al’s armor, but it was interesting to see how Ed and the Chimera found a way to fight him. Too bad it looks like from the preview for next week that it ultimately won’t be very effective, and he’ll just be more pissed off. Of course, the best part of the episode had to be the reappearance of Lan Fan at the very end and how she quickly and efficiently she sliced up Gluttony. They made her look pretty badass with that automail arm blade, and it looks like her fight against Gluttony will continue next week.

March 7, 2010 at 4:34 am
  • March 7, 2010 at 4:37 ampenguintruth

Silly Selim, you can’t go out in the woods in the dark, lions will attack you and you’ll ruin your spiffy vest!

Looks like Edward will actually get to do something in the next episode.

• March 7, 2010 at 4:39 amSugoi

2nd!

• March 7, 2010 at 4:41 amakurai

Nice, so it begins

• March 7, 2010 at 4:44 amegress63

And thus, the final arc begins. And hopefully, tomorrow the 104th chapter will get released. w00t!

• March 7, 2010 at 4:48 ampenguintruth

105th, you mean.

• March 7, 2010 at 4:52 amOmni

Since you guys are on the topic of the manga: Everyone please keep manga spoilers at a minimum, and use <spoiler></spoiler>.

• March 7, 2010 at 4:57 amRei

LAN FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!! HELL YEAH!! Been waiting for this. Now this gives me an excuse to marathon up to this. Nana Mizuki 8D!!

• March 7, 2010 at 5:23 amKWeng

This epi seem dark~[night luls]
    ohhh LanFaaan~~ u r bakss XD

• March 7, 2010 at 5:36 amEspada

lan fan is back <3

cant wait for the subs

• March 7, 2010 at 7:06 amZero

Now we’re getting somewhere!

• March 7, 2010 at 8:48 amSiddharth

The Animation for this Episode’s quite nice by the looks of it!

• March 7, 2010 at 10:29 amDmysta3000

I just started watching dubbed episodes because the only way I’ve have been keeping up with this show is through this blog, either way this episode looks freakin’ EPIC!!!

• March 7, 2010 at 11:15 amChaosPudding

@Dmysta3000

• March 7, 2010 at 11:24 amDmysta3000

@ChaosPudding
    Exactly. ^_^

• March 7, 2010 at 1:06 pmsecsuey

OMG!! I can’t wait to see this!
    from now on it is pure Epicness

• March 7, 2010 at 2:38 pmTJ

Ran Fan was so awesome in this episode. This was the kind of action that cries out to be animated (well).

• March 7, 2010 at 3:30 pmkoager

dang can’t wait for the next few eps

• March 7, 2010 at 3:34 pmSiege

Just perfect, its exactly as i remembered from the manga. They make Ran Fan look much more badass, we’re in for a long rollercoaster ride from here on out.

• March 7, 2010 at 4:51 pmSatoida

omg that episode felt too short. It was that good =) I can’t wait for the rest of the story to be animated =D

• March 7, 2010 at 6:35 pmHomuncurus!

I’m so glad they changed the Trisha talk for this episode. In that scene, right after Hohenheim starts crying, Ed comes off as being an immature douche in the manga.
    I swear I can’t stand that dude sometimes.
    There were also a lot of parts in this episode that felt dragged on for dear life. Guess they were just desperate to end the episode on the Ran Fan cliffhanger, I guess.

• March 7, 2010 at 6:42 pmpenguintruth

@Homuncurus!

You mean when he’s all, “Jeez, grown men shouldn’t cry like that!”?

I liked that part, because it showed how uncomfortable Edward is around his father. His father starts crying when Ed had this air of hostility going and it got really awkward for him and he didn’t know how to react.

• March 7, 2010 at 6:49 pmMike

Best part of the episode is when Darius clotheslines Ed by accident. :D

• March 7, 2010 at 7:01 pmAdeptZero

I gotta say, FMA Brotherhood has probably been one of the best anime’s I’ve seen. But I am sort of worried how they’re catching up to the manga. If the pace continues like this, wouldn’t it mean the manga will have to end within approximately 5 months? (Assuming the anime won’t pause or have fillers)

• March 7, 2010 at 10:20 pmBROOKLYN otaku

THATS IT!! i’m saving my FMA virginity! i refuse to watch “or read” any more new releases until the show is OVER. then i shall devour them all marathon style on super big screen. wish me luck, I’ll need it

• March 8, 2010 at 1:13 amLin-Meitoky FMA fan

Great pictures! and very good chapter i love FMA, thanks a lot for the job and for the pictures, bye-bye

• March 8, 2010 at 2:19 amg0rth0r

Well guys, Pride exists and he lives on fucking Mars : http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100301.html

• March 8, 2010 at 3:59 amnawar

The 5th OP/ED artists are up on the official site

OP: Rain by Sid
    ED: Ray of Light by Shoko Nakagawa

• March 8, 2010 at 9:17 amAcylia

@g0rth0r
    OMG! That’s awesome! I wanna live on Mars too xO … well, maybe not anymore, if Pride lives there, but… yeah.

@nawar
    Nice.

I wish they’d bring YUI back for the last OP, though. T_T Oh, well. :)

• March 8, 2010 at 9:26 amSis

@nawar

Dammit… I’ve never really liked Sid. -.-

• March 8, 2010 at 10:36 amMiko86

WOOT!!!! New and improved Lan Fan!!!!!

• March 8, 2010 at 1:03 pmOuroboros

Awesome episode. The return of Ran Fan looks even more epic animated!

@g0rth0r

lol! who would have known? XD

• March 8, 2010 at 1:31 pmhms-one

Ran Fan!!!!

I cant bring myself to read this blog before I see the fansub because of potential plot spoilers, but I still always visit this site for the pics when waiting for the sub to drop, Minor spoilers are ok. I totally pic #4 coming, but I did’nt think it would look so funny.

[url]http://randomc.net/image/Fullmetal%20Alchemist/Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20-%2047%20-%20Large%2004.jpg[url]

I love that ran fan is coming back because I really liked her charachter, and because of what it may mean for the charachter of greedling. I can’t decide which would be cooler, ran fan with a new arm,(eastern automail might be bad-ass!) or a rehabilitated ran fan with one arm who kicks more ass than ever because of it.(please no spoilers, Manga dudes)

This show is poppin’ now, I find myself itching for the next ep all week.

• March 8, 2010 at 2:43 pmjlyn101

this show keeps getting better and better. glad to watch it from the start.

• March 9, 2010 at 3:48 amgoogin

best part was when ling elbows gluttony and the little greed bubble appears smiling like nice dude! lol

• March 9, 2010 at 6:22 amSmith

lmao at donkey kong hitting ed

• March 9, 2010 at 9:37 amJustaFan

Hi. As my nickname states i’m a fan of the FMA series. The manga isn’t available where i live so i am curious and i want to ask someone who has it… Does the FMA Brotherhood really follow the story of the manga as is should or is this just another custom made anime as the first one?

• March 9, 2010 at 10:00 amLen

@JustaFan

It follows the manga, no divergence like the first anime.

• March 9, 2010 at 10:13 amJustaFan

Thanks for the answer i really wanted to know if what i’m watching is the real deal =)

• March 9, 2010 at 11:41 amPride

lol at Ed buying red fabric and making a new red coat xD

Greed: That red thing again?
    Ed: I need to look like the main character once in a while. Better for the last episodes.
    Greed: I thought it was for when you are dead they can find you easily.
    Ed: >:

it didn’t go like that but lol xD

• March 9, 2010 at 12:35 pmhms-one

Question asked and answered. That Eastern automail Ran Fan is rockin’ is bad!ass! Her entrance has got to be one of the coolest things I have seen in this series so far, even knowing it was coming. I guess I didn’t look @ the pic so closely before, that elbow blade is so cool! I yelled “Ran Fan!!!!” at my computer screen like a crazy person.

I dont know how I feel about Lion King pummeling little 8 yr old Selim though… ah f*k it, kick his ass!

• March 9, 2010 at 1:02 pmFathomlessblue

@Justafan

there a free website; onemanga.com that has the fma manga plus many others on it if your interested

• March 9, 2010 at 1:03 pmhms-one

Also might we see a not so Icy, but more wrathful Bradley when we see the Fuhrer President again? I can’t wait.

• March 9, 2010 at 1:12 pmKinny Riddle

Holy shit. (I lost count how many times I’ve said that now for this series lol)

Wow, since when did Lan Fang power up so much to pwn a homunculus?

Not that I’m complaining as I usually do for other shounen series, where such pwnage is usually at the convenience of the mangaka, at the expense of the mangaka’s own laid out rules concerning power levels (like Chakras and Reiatsus and all that crap).

Good thing Arakawa never did wasted time on such stuff for FMA, and hence the total awesomeness in these occasional pwnages.

• March 9, 2010 at 3:56 pmVlyse

@Kinny Riddle
    Up until now, we’ve never really seen Lan Fan in a serious battle. She was seen battling Ed in her introduction, but the only other fight she was in was cut out in episode 19(Ling/Lanfan vs Gluttony/Envy).

As for the episode, it didn’t feel as epic for me as what the comments here seem to imply or as epic as what is coming up, especially next episode. With Ed, Ling, and Gluttony in the woods at night, it felt like I was rewatching Episode 24, lol. Maybe I’ll have a different opinion once I’ve seen the subs.

• March 9, 2010 at 7:39 pmOuroboros

@Vlyse

gotta agree about the awesomeness coming up next episode :D
    I can’t wait to see when Show Spoiler ▼

That was one of my favourite moments in the chapter.

• March 10, 2010 at 5:26 amSim

@hms-one: Pride is a little older than 8 years, considering he’s the oldest character in the series, only after Father and Hoenheim!

• March 10, 2010 at 1:01 pmAnon

@Kinny Riddle
    In the fight that was cut, it was clearly shown that Lan Fan did own the Homunculus(owned Envy over and over). So Arakawa had already set that precedence. Plus, while Gluttony and Envy may be extremely powerful, they’re not that good at fighting.

• March 11, 2010 at 10:16 amhms-one

@Sim Apparently my small attempt at humor was lost on you.

• March 11, 2010 at 1:30 pmCornwiggle

I liked that they extended the coat scene.

In the manga it was barely in the background “Oh, red fabric”

And Darius and Heinkel are like “…oh great, there he goes with that jacket again”

I don’t remember if it was also in the manga, but I liked how he explained that he needed to be psyched up.

• March 11, 2010 at 1:38 pmLilly

I liked how they made the Ed/Hoho-papa-stuff more mush mush then the manga, I can never get enough of that! Actaully, everything seemed a bit streched in the first half, and I loved it!

So, that monologue wasn’t actually Grumman’s thought? It was what Miles *thought* he thought?

WEEEEE!!! RANFAN!!! MORE DYNAMIC ENTRANCES FOR KIT-CHAN!!!

And one more OST out the 24th march, yes?

@BROOKLYN otaku Yeah, good luck. I tried to do that…and here I am…

• March 11, 2010 at 3:06 pmOmen

@Ouroboros: Yeah! I can’t wait for that part either. It actually has to be one of my favorite scenes.

@Cornwiggle: That part was also in the manga. And the scene was actually longer in the manga too. They asked him why he liked red so much and he said, “Cause it’s a badass color that gets my blood going,” and then he proceeded to explain how this will be their final battle so he needed to be psyched.
    But yeah…

• March 11, 2010 at 4:45 pmSim

@hms-one: No, it wasn’t. I found it funny actually, but was too busy to comment on it.

I really liked this episode. Pride’s my favourite FMA character, I like his cruel, confident and strong personailty, it’s very interesting. I also like his voice(s). Grumman’s voice on the other hand I actually find quite unpleasent to hear.

Next week’s episode contains my favourite moment from the manga, and more so I’m definitely looking forward to it!

• March 12, 2010 at 1:58 pmAznCoffee

Selim dies. Jus sayin.

• March 13, 2010 at 7:14 pmspikey

rumors are the manga is gonna end at 108 maybe the author is a fan of lost = sum of the numbers

• March 13, 2010 at 9:53 pmHen

It probably will end at 108. Sacred number and all…After this most recent chapter (105) then 106 can be for Show Spoiler ▼

• March 16, 2010 at 11:59 amJustafan

@Fathomlessblue Thank you. Indeed i am very interested. I would actually buy the manga… if it was aviable in my country…