Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 50 »« Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 48

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 49

Fullmetal Alchemist   49   01 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   02 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   03
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   04 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   05 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   06
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   07 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   08 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   09
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   10 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   11 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   12
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   13 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   14 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   15
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   16 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   17 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   18
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   19 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   20 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   21
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   22 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   23 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   24
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   25 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   26 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   27
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   28 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   29 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   30
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   31 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   32 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   33
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   34 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   35 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   36
Fullmetal Alchemist   49   37 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   38 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   39

Summary:

Realizing that Hohenheim is nearby, Pride launches a fierce attack against Ed, Greed, and Lan Fan. Ed sees that Lan Fan still isn’t 100% with her arm and saves her from Pride’s attack because he knows they’ll need her later. Hohenheim meanwhile wakes Al and then learns whats going on from Fu who has also brought the injured Heinkel. Al blames himself for what’s happened, but he comes up with an idea and tells his father about it. Hohenheim thus heads out onto the battlefield, and his presence causes Pride to pull back his shadows. Al then charges at Pride from behind and gets caught, but while Pride has his shadows around Al, Hohenheim uses his alchemy to trap both of them in a dome carved from the earth.

Ed gets angry at his father for trapping Al too, but Hohenheim reveals that this was Al’s plan all along. Since Pride can’t use his shadows in the darkness of the dome, Al is content about being stuck there with him until the promised day is over. Hohenheim explains that Al didn’t want to tell Ed because he knew that Ed would be against the idea, and through the walls of the dome, Al apologizes to his brother and claims that he’ll be fine for the day. With Pride out of the way, Greed decides to flee the scene and heads by himself to Central because he knows that the only Homunculus left there are Father and Sloth. His goal, as he had stated before, is to become king of the world.

At around this same time, Kimblee finishes killing off a bunch of Ishval men. Back inside the dome, Al talks to Pride about how the Homunculus don’t understand humans and how they could have messed up the Homunculus plans by leaving the country to save themselves. Pride acknowledges that there are people who only care about themselves, but as a counter-example, he cites how King Bradley’s wife once tried to save him from being run over by a car. It made him think about mothers since he had never had one, and he admits to having liked that life, but it also meant that there were people who would sacrifice their own lives to protect something important. That’s what they were counting on with their plan here.

A little while later, Scar and Marcoh’s group arrives in the area and learns that May Chang returned to Central. They make their way to the outskirts of the slum where Pride is now trapped and are reunited with Ed’s group. After some discussion, Fu decides to head off alone to Central to do some scouting, and the rest get ready for the start of the promised day. A few hours later, on this day when there’s supposed to be a solar eclipse, Denny Brosh wakes up in Central and sees smoke rising across town. It is there that Mustang, after one last trip to visit Hughes’ grave, is striking with his group. They still have King Bradley’s wife with them, but the soldiers sent after them have orders only to keep Mustang alive, and the group gets surrounded.

Fullmetal Alchemist   49   Preview 01 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   Preview 02 Fullmetal Alchemist   49   Preview 03

The battle that this episode started with was pretty intense since Pride kept coming within inches of cutting up Ed. As expected, it was Hohenheim who eventually challenged him and got all the extra cool looking shots, but surprisingly it was Al’s quick thinking and plan that ultimately trapped Pride. I guess this means that Al will be sitting out the promised day? I can’t really see that happening since the brothers have already spent so much time apart, and it wouldn’t be right for Al to be absent from what I assume to be the climax of the story.

I should mention that the Kimblee eye-catch after the commercial break gave away the fact that Kimblee was returning this episode, and we didn’t have to wait long in the second half to see him again. I had assumed that he was still locked up after what he did at Briggs, but I guess high command or Father pulled some strings to get him free. It’s a little mind-boggling how many people are in motion for this promised day on all sides. Greed also revealed (or rather, reconfirmed) that he wants to take power, however he didn’t mention how he plans to take on Father and Sloth since they aren’t exactly pushovers.

Anyway, the conversation between Al and Pride slowed down the pace of the episode a lot, and most of the second half felt like a transition from the big night battle to the promised day. This was further emphasized by how they ended on Ed putting back on his red coat and declaring the start of the promised day. Because of that, I didn’t think there would be a post-ED segment, but there actually was with the reappearance of Denny Brosh (it’s been so long I had to look up his last name) and the cliffhanger with Mustang and company seemingly getting shot. It’s a nice cliffhanger, but I’m sure Mustang’s group will be fine since I can’t imagine them dying at this point, never mind the fact that they’re alive in the preview for next week.

March 21, 2010 at 5:27 am
  • March 21, 2010 at 5:30 amgame124657

nice.

• March 21, 2010 at 5:33 amHomuncurus!

Ohhh~ They kept the Pride flashback scene! And Brosh’s siblings/eclipse part. Couldn’t help but notice this episode had extra amounts of cool close-up face shots. 8U Vurry nice.
    Incoming Slothy real soon~ <3

• March 21, 2010 at 5:39 amSugoi

This was sweet!

• March 21, 2010 at 5:47 amHomuncurus!

Ho shi– I just noticed, in the middle picture of the previews for next week..
    Is dat sum Lab 3 already?! FFFFFFFFFF . . This is moving really fast!

• March 21, 2010 at 5:54 amDendoh_fanboy

Best fight in all of FMA coming up probably in 2 episodes. Can’t wait.

• March 21, 2010 at 6:10 ampenguintruth

Got to love Hohenheim.

Looks like they inserted that scene at Hughes’ grave to keep him in our thoughts for the later… confrontation. It still won’t make it any less stupid (story wise), though I’m sure plenty of folks will enjoy the action, anyway.

• March 21, 2010 at 6:47 amKWeng

wow this epi is epic ~ later on gonna more fun :D

• March 21, 2010 at 7:10 amAcylia

@penguintruth
    About the later “confrontation”…

This episode was AWESOME, anyway. And the pacing is perfect (I think). Thanks for blogging!

• March 21, 2010 at 7:18 ampenguintruth

@Acylia

• March 21, 2010 at 8:02 amAlec

and so… the wait for the subs begin.

• March 21, 2010 at 9:21 amthagreatcreator

@penguintruth

• March 21, 2010 at 10:33 amRickyMack

@theagreatcreator

• March 21, 2010 at 11:16 amhm

good eps loved the hohenheim action!

• March 21, 2010 at 11:32 amAcylia

@penguintruth

• March 21, 2010 at 12:38 pmStarshade

But if May had taken Envy to Xing, it’s very much possible that Envy could be let loose there too. Anything could happen, and I seriously think it was a bad idea to let the naive May take Envy. Only fortunate that Envy never reached Xing and was brought back and killed.

• March 21, 2010 at 12:41 pmStarshade

Ehh shit, I realized my comment was slightly spoiling right after I submitted it…. Too late. Although it’s somewhat not-so-spoiling since it’s rather obvious. Sorry anyway.

p.s.) The author seriously knows how to design badass prothestic limbs huh? Ed’s automail looks cool enough, Lan Fan’s looks like a godass(what?).

Ahh I really like Pride.

• March 21, 2010 at 1:09 pmCode Fanboy

poor pride, he is kinda like wrath in the last generation of FMA, always yearning for a mother.

• March 21, 2010 at 1:38 pmCornwiggle

Can’t wait to see Barry again next episode. His last appearance. :(

• March 21, 2010 at 2:37 pmHomuncurus!

^
    And Lusty!
    .. as a dirty smear on the floor. But the most sexy smear ever. <3

• March 21, 2010 at 2:54 pmGene

@TheGreatcreator

Please for the love of God, don’t pimp terrible fan fiction here. Oh, man.

• March 21, 2010 at 3:02 pmCornwiggle

Penguintruth, having Envy leave for Xing to never come back, that’s the biggest cop-out I can think of. Arakawa knows what each character is there for and their role. She made Envy sneaky and manipulative just to ensure he would get Mei back to Central. That’s Envy’s personality; she didn’t go “Oops, I need him to go back so Mustang have his chance”, she planned it out very carefully.

You’re really looking down on her writing ability; but I’m glad you don’t call the shots with this show; because it would be plain terrible if you were in charge of it.

• March 21, 2010 at 3:47 pmHen

What’s the Pride wearing super heavy eye-liner this episode?

• March 21, 2010 at 4:12 pmHomuncurus!

The split between the actual ending of the episode (before closing theme) and the events afterwards is getting ridiculously long. Why don’t they just keep everything together and close it all off with one cliffhanger..?

• March 21, 2010 at 5:35 pmSatoida

@ Homuncurus!: I agree, the theme came out at what? 19 minutes. But it’s a more effective way to show different cliffhangers in my opinion. I like it. If they showed the little scene straight after Ed’s big “this is the beginning of the Promised Day” it wouldn’t have seemed as awesome.

Shows how long it’s been since I’ve read the manga. I didn’t remember Kimblee going on his happy killing spree (unless that is anime-only material)

• March 21, 2010 at 5:38 pmAcylia

@Satoida
    Kimblee is in the manga as well. :) Although I think the scene by Maes Hughes’ grave was original. It fit well, though. :D

• March 21, 2010 at 5:59 pmpenguintruth

@Cornwiggle

• March 21, 2010 at 6:24 pmpenguintruth

Also, I’m not “looking down on her writing ability”. I think she’s an excellent writer. But even excellent writers make mistakes. Sometimes I think Arakawa is trying too hard to make these big, sensational moments and it detracts from the overall integrity of the narrative.

• March 21, 2010 at 7:51 pmcx

@penguintruth I hope that was a spoiler :(
    u should know better.

• March 21, 2010 at 7:51 pmcx

*was not*

• March 21, 2010 at 7:54 pmCornwiggle

I don’t know, I thought it was a good fit.

Envy definitely had it coming, especially with how proud and boastful he was about killing Hughes. He may have been the trigger man, but he loved to flaunt it.

I also didn’t even know why he was “Envy” until that scene at the end of the fight. So, that tied up everything about him quite nicely in my opinion.

• March 21, 2010 at 8:01 pmAznCoffee

• March 21, 2010 at 8:19 pmpenguintruth

@cx

I was making some vague statements about the manga author. The stuff that was a spoiler I marked in earlier posts.

@Cornwiggle

Fair enough.

• March 21, 2010 at 9:30 pmRal

eclipse subs out mad early yesss

• March 21, 2010 at 10:09 pmdamian

Is it me or did I hear some new music tracks during this episode?

• March 21, 2010 at 10:25 pmV6

cannot wait to see the current manga chapters about the promised day animated. it should kick ass

• March 21, 2010 at 11:06 pmHomuncurus!

@damian
    YES! Two new action tracks in this episode. The one that plays when Hoho is enclosing Pride is amazing. Definitely looking forward to hearing more of it.
    @penguin
    I understand what you’re saying completely, and to a point, I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said. That being said, though, what the Envy/Roy fight added were much-needed new layers to the old characters we’re used to. The one-sided “badass”, perfect hero that killed Lust last time was shown to be an immensely flawed person when it came to Envy. His need for that blind revenge (hurrhurr, pun) got the better of him, and we got to see an important side of him never before seen.
    As for Envy, though humiliated once in front of Marcoh, this time around his character was also expanded and shown his true nature. A little info to the audience that honestly
    needed it to better understand this seemingly redundant douche. What I wish had happened was Envy’s death made earlier, between Lust’s and Gluttony’s, with Marcoh AND Mustang there to see it.

• March 21, 2010 at 11:27 pmButtercup

@ Hen: I noticed that too!! I thought they tried to overemphasize his “evilness” too much… but it didn’t really feel right when Pride was talking about his adopted mother… On the other hand, I never liked Pride much. After this episode however, I’m starting to see a much more humane side to his personality ^^ especially when he said that he liked his mother… hopefully it’s not all a lie =X
    I doubt Al’s going to sit out on this day either so I’m anxious to see how they get out =)

• March 21, 2010 at 11:28 pmpenguintruth

@Homuncurus!

Yeah, I see where you’re coming from with that. Careful with the spoilers, though. (Funny coming from me.)

• March 22, 2010 at 12:29 amVlyse

Pride got evil heavy eyeliner, because that’s one of the abilities he obtained by devouring Gluttony.

• March 22, 2010 at 1:03 amcurious one

Not to beat a dead horse but,

• March 22, 2010 at 2:12 amKaAya

It’s not that Pride’s evilness is overemphasized, or that he uses an eyeliner. XD
    It’s a way for Bones to show he is tired. That or he should have been sleeping for hours by now. ;)
    (Yes, I know the answer. But you know, the spoilers and such).

• March 22, 2010 at 3:22 amMei

LOL I love the part where Pride asked Greed if it’s ok to eat him, with the whole evil shota look and the “can I eat you” in super formal and polite form “tabete mo ii desu ka?” as opposed to Gluttony’s signature “tabete ii?”. Plus he said it in such a cute/sweet tone XD

• March 22, 2010 at 5:09 amLB

Great caps. The lighting in this episode was anime movie quality.

• March 22, 2010 at 5:17 amSis

I’m gonna miss your reviews of FMA. T_T

Penguintruth and Cornwiggle and others, where do you go for your FMA discussions now? :( I want a new blog to follow!

• March 22, 2010 at 7:01 amJack

it’s pissing me off the people here said some spoilers and they unmarked what they said!
    guys,please mark you spoliders,it’s annoying you are runining the game for people here.

• March 22, 2010 at 9:45 amCornwiggle

Why are people saying they’ll MISS this blog? Are you still going on about that 51 episode, crap?

It’s got at least another 2 months left, you know.

• March 22, 2010 at 10:53 amManc

Cornwiggle – I assume you’ve seen the front page by now – so while FMA:B definitely carries on, this blog may not (certainly not with Omni’s thoughts).

Also, holy **** a discussion on FMA:B that didn’t turn into an petty argument. Nevermind the end of Randomc, the end of the world may be coming with the end of this season!

• March 22, 2010 at 11:01 amCornwiggle

Ah, I see it now. I can’t say I’ve ever checked out the main page.

Eh, it doesn’t bother me because I understand. I just liked getting a heads up on a new episode before the download actually came about. So, I’ve never even checked the main page.

• March 22, 2010 at 11:02 amCornwiggle

Just for FMA too. That’s all I even looked up.

• March 22, 2010 at 5:19 pmpenguintruth

It’s so sad that RC is shutting down. But if anyone wants to disagree with me and get into the most ridiculous fanwank battles, there’s always *my* blog. It’s not nearly as good as RC, though, and I’d have home field advantage, but I don’t delete disagreeing comments.

I’m so going to miss this place and it’s awesome early FMA caps, which I have folders of on my hard drive.

• March 23, 2010 at 8:04 amLoudmouse

I’m going to miss reading you two talk about it =(

• March 25, 2010 at 3:30 amAximilli

Is Al leaving his head off cause his eyes light up and that would create a shadow?