The Legend of the Legendary Heroes – 01 »« Katanagatari – 02

HEROMAN – 01

OP Sequence

OP: 「Roulette」 by TETSUYA
Watch the OP!: Download, Streaming ▼

「ビギニング」 (Biginingu)
“BEGINNING”

The spring anime season officially started today with the premiere of Stan Lee and BONES studio‘s collaboration project, HEROMAN. Much like I described in the Spring 2010 Preview, the story here follows an orphan boy named Joey Jones, who works part-time at a diner to support himself and his grandmother. Before heading off to school one morning, Joey sees a commercial for a new toy robot called Heybo and wants one, but it’s way out of his budget. On his way to school, a wealthy girl named Lina tries to invite him to the cheerleaders’ dance party, but Joey is clueless and turns her down as usual, thinking there are better guys out there for her. Despite not getting involved with Lina, the mere sight of them together pisses off her older brother Will and his friends, so they take it out on Joey until his friend Psy steps in to chase them off. After school, the same rich bullies wreck a newly bought Heybo and toss it out, so Joey decides to pick it up and spends several days piecing it back together, eventually naming it Heroman.

While working one night, Joey notices that it’s starting to rain and he rushes home because he left the sunroof window open. Just as he arrives, Heroman is struck by lightning and transforms into a giant self-aware version with a push of a button on the remote control that attached itself to Joey’s arm. Off in the distance, Heroman notices an explosion and with a another push of a button from Joey, takes off running in that direction and teleporting onto the freeway, where Lina and her father have gotten into a car accident with a fuel truck. Using his controller, Joey orders Heroman to rescue them and he does just that, even protecting them from the gas explosion that followed suit. Meanwhile, aliens known as the Skrugg are orbiting Earth and ready to invade it, having received a spacial transmission from an overzealous professor named Matthew Danton, who was only trying to make first contact with extraterrestrials.

Despite having the BONES effect in full force here, this first episode didn’t really change my impression of the series much. It was pretty much straight out of the manga for the first half, while the latter half was changed up a fair bit, switching in a car accident in favor of a vengeful samurai spirit possessing a disgruntled employee. The end result was the same however, with Heroman saving Lina and protecting her from a gas explosion, and a barrier from Joey’s controller shielding him from harm. Don’t take this as a knock on the series though. I merely knew what to expect coming into this premiere episode, so it just didn’t really surprise me one way or another.

On the plus side, BONES doesn’t disappoint and everything is simply better animated with voice-overs. The character designs have a refreshing westernized touch to them (e.g. Stan Lee‘s recurring cameo), with idol/actress Komatsu Mikako (Joey) and new seiyuu Obata Mayu (Lina) providing believable performances in their respective roles. The extended scenes of Joey fixing the Heybo were also a nice touch. On the slightly negative side, it comes off as an Americanized shounen series, which the subtitled OP/ED songs and 6:00pm JST airtime reaffirm. I’m not too concerned about that just yet, but I’m still not completely sold on the whole “boy turned super hero/alien invasion” premise either.

There’s no questioning that this series looks nice though, so hopefully I’ll get a better idea if the story’s for me in the upcoming weeks. I do recommend checking out the first episode regardless, as this is an original East meets West piece of work you don’t see very often. Plus it’s Stan Lee’s creation no less.

Note: This is one of CrunchyRoll‘s new simulcasts for the spring season.

ED Sequence

ED: 「CALLING」 by FLOW
Watch the ED!: Download, Streaming ▼

April 1, 2010 at 2:35 pm
  • April 1, 2010 at 2:53 pmxcswmboy

Yah! New RC up and running I guess!
    Dont think I’ll be following Heroman though, even the manga was getting boring already.

• April 2, 2010 at 2:57 pmbeekay

Yeah new site !

• April 1, 2010 at 2:55 pmLaN

Yeah, I don’t think I will follow Heroman either. But I wanted to get a chance to post here!

• April 1, 2010 at 2:57 pmzz

Yay, nice picture for the top of site as well

• April 1, 2010 at 3:00 pmKayDat

Nice, new RC is up. Not sure if I will follow, but will prob give it 3-4 episodes.

• April 1, 2010 at 3:03 pmAuroraFlame

Posting in an epic thread.

These kinds of shows tend to have generic beginnings. We’ll see if it gets better.

• April 1, 2010 at 3:04 pmKyuusei

I’ll be giving it a few eps to see how it pans out. Glad to see a copy of RC up and running.

• April 1, 2010 at 3:15 pmVsin

Well, here goes the new RC. I don’t expect Divine to pull 7 series a week, not including spring preview week (which is what, 14-21 series in a week? o_0) but it’d be nice to at least keep up with a couple shows.

• April 1, 2010 at 3:27 pmBliner

I liked this epidose since i dont read the manga :D
    Thx for the post Divine.

• April 1, 2010 at 3:39 pmReyfus

Nice to see you posting here divine, i know it is a lot to do but i hope you continue posting when you can.
    About heroman it is too western for me. I will pass.

• April 1, 2010 at 3:49 pmCaraniel

I couldn’t decide if I liked this or not. Definately liking the production, but completely unsure of the concept……plus Heroman itself kind of freaks me out a bit :| Giving it a few more episodes before deciding.

• April 1, 2010 at 3:52 pmhello

thank you for the post Divine…it is a fitting episode title eh?

• April 1, 2010 at 4:06 pmdivine

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by the new site. I’ll try to cover some shows for the premiere week as a follow-up to my thoughts in the Season Preview. I may continue with a few shows after that, but we’ll see.

As we’re in a bit of a transition period, let me know if you encounter any issues with the site and I’ll look into it. (I only noticed an IE-specific issue yesterday since I don’t use IE.) For those wondering on how to get a picture next to your name in the comments, you simply need to sign up for a free Gravatar account and it will be tied to the e-mail address you comment with.

Happy commenting!

• April 1, 2010 at 4:30 pmFlame

Take your time man. It’s great enough to see a backup site running so I thank you sir.

Heroman is definitely in my list to watch but I won’t have much free time for the newer stuff.

• April 1, 2010 at 5:22 pmNoobiesnack

Oh my, I must say I like the functionality of comments now! Hurray for Gravatars and inner-comment commenting!

• April 1, 2010 at 7:54 pmExia

Thanks for the summary Divine. And take your time with the site.

Whether you blog many shows or even just one, your work is greatly appreciated and I hope to read more from you.

• April 1, 2010 at 8:09 pmbrianleung8912

Im liking the new layout… especially the “MY SITE” thing that link me to people’s sites.. some of their sites are actually quite good ^-^ … anyway, its great to know RC isnt completely gone, as Exia stated, whether u blog 1 show or 10, i will still come and check this site everyday ^-^

• April 2, 2010 at 5:38 amBigbiggs

Ahh just leave it be. It’s only IE ;)

Thanks for being awesome divine! I know a lot of people who visit randomc, and even more who rely on seasonal previews. I hope that you can find some way to keep it alive! Keep up the good work :D

• April 3, 2010 at 12:00 amJarvcat

Everything is shaping out well, Divine. Thanks for continuing RC as I’ll definitely continue to visit the new site!

• April 5, 2010 at 6:02 pmvery

thank goodness, random curiosity still alive, divine you are my god anime right now. keep this site alive man

• April 1, 2010 at 4:08 pmSol Fury

This is the show I’m most interested in because of Stan Lee’s involvement. Sounds good, I’m not aware of the manga, so I’m not going to know the difference on what’s changed or not. Sounds like classic Stan Lee, right down to the character name.

• April 1, 2010 at 4:22 pmviral

The episode was decent. The production was good, but the story seems too generic for me, even tough I like the Stan Lee classics (like Spiderman and X-Men).

• April 1, 2010 at 4:24 pmpierce

Hmm I’m going to suspend my judgment after a few more episodes of Heroman. I have no problems with its animation at all. It’s the characters that kind of…annoy me for some odd reason. Joey’s “Heroman” lines are irritating too.

• April 1, 2010 at 4:47 pmNoobiesnack

Glad to see you are at least making some attempt to continue with RC divine ^^

Also, I think I am going to have to rethink this series… I am not too much into this kind of genre, but maybe if I try it out I may like it. I don’t have high hopes for it though.

• April 1, 2010 at 4:48 pmkinkancoin

…….Why must American aliens ALWAYS look like cockroachs?

His hair is just hilarious!!!

• April 1, 2010 at 5:14 pmNightflame

the only reason i may check this anime out will be, because of the ED by flow… ;D
    but as i did not even know of this one before, i guess i won’t completly watch it.

• April 1, 2010 at 5:20 pmPhil. H

judging solely on the screen shots, one can definitely see that it is made by “Bones”. Reminds me much of Eureka 7 and Xam’d Lost Memories. Looks like it will be a “love it or hate it” kind of anime.

• April 1, 2010 at 5:46 pmChen^2

Thank you for the new site and post, Divine. May RC continue here for many years to come. ^_^

• April 1, 2010 at 5:48 pmCommiE

Looks alright…ty for posting divine

• April 1, 2010 at 6:16 pmSora no Kaze

This is nice with gravatar and so on lol. But yeah! Gotta watch this episode… but I can’t watch it yet, oh well, I’ll see it next week on Friday

• April 1, 2010 at 6:21 pmInfinite

This has flop wrote all over it. It just doesnt have that x-factor. Stan Lee should of tried to do something new for the japanese viewers. Why is he even trying to get in the anime scene anyways? One good thing the show has going for it is the animation but I dont expect much less from Bones. I really will miss your blogs Divine and good luck with your future. LONG LIVE RC!!!!

• April 1, 2010 at 6:32 pmmarkini

ah great! RC is on again :-)
    will also follow heroman at least for a few episodes
    looks promising

• April 1, 2010 at 6:37 pmSplash

Welcome to RCs new home. I’m glad Divine giving this some sort of a go. I did hear 1 good thing today. If you like Seikrei then you will be happy to know season 2 on the way. Saw a trailer for it earlier.

• April 1, 2010 at 6:44 pmAshan

I came into this show expecting a better-than-decent shounen series, I now stand gob-smacked. Its got “Americanised” all over it. Hell, the constant reference to the American flag with the colour choices, the ‘Heroman’ robot who has an American flag design (Stars / Colours)… and the insect aliens… (To pre-empt flame, I’m an American.)

I was hoping that with both East and West collaborating on this project we’d get a burst of fresh creativity, instead this hugely disappoints. I’ll follow through with the 2nd episode, but as it stands this show does not impress.

P.S. Thank you Divine for your insight on the show, I’ll be visiting the site routinely for possible posts on the other shows of this season. :)

• April 1, 2010 at 7:21 pmBass

The animation and production quality looks amazing, as is the art style.

Can’t wait to give this a go.

And woo! My first comment in the new RC

• April 1, 2010 at 7:25 pmNo Comment

oh snap, Stan Lee

I should watch this one. I hope it ends up being good.

• April 1, 2010 at 7:46 pmbrianleung8912

• April 1, 2010 at 8:16 pmIHM

Well, i´ll give it a try.
    Looks really nice, and Stan Lee worth it :)
    And congrats for the blog, Divine.

• April 1, 2010 at 9:21 pmOmni

Art style and mecha design reminds me of a cross of E7 and Gurren Lagann

• April 2, 2010 at 7:05 amSora no Kaze

OMG! OMNI REPLIES >_> lol.

• April 1, 2010 at 9:37 pmJoe

Personally I felt the OP was very similar to one of the Full Metal Alchemist OPs (Fall 2009 season).

• April 1, 2010 at 9:41 pminnerchihiro

Thanks Divine! Is it just me, or does the main look like a girl? I can’t take him seriously as a guy!! Well, I’ll try it for a few weeks…

• April 1, 2010 at 9:44 pmJean

I’m not convinced on this one either. It was beautiful! If only I wasn’t cringing at the plot for twelve-year-olds.

• April 1, 2010 at 10:17 pmDSSeraph

I like how Heroman practically destroys his house, and he’s apparently extremely poor… but doesn’t seem to care. We’ll just ignore the elephant in the room for now and hope they comment on it in the next episode.

At any rate, i liked it myself, but the fact that they cut off literally a full volumes worth of precursor material leading to the point really doesn’t sit well with me on a series longevity POV… i feel like this will be a short one if that doesn’t change.

• April 2, 2010 at 3:51 amActarus

jeez dudes…heroman stands for heroin-man…
    i’m guessing how it works the avatar function

• April 2, 2010 at 4:25 amduk3fleed

I finally managed to get my own gravatar(all the nicknames are already taken)…i hope it works :D that’s a test

• April 2, 2010 at 4:17 amHikarii

Thanks for the post Divine!

• April 2, 2010 at 4:43 amCanelo

Yay new postin new web layout. Thanks devine

• April 2, 2010 at 6:07 amJustin2010

i dont get it ? so RC is done or wat? so this is the new RC run by divine ? cool.

• April 2, 2010 at 6:08 amAsuka

Thanks Divine for continuing to post!

• April 2, 2010 at 9:11 amProoof

why is joey so effeminate lol
    he seriously looks, acts, and talks like a girl lol

• April 2, 2010 at 11:33 amSteve

Hey Guys,
    I’ve made an unofficial fb page kinda thing for the blog, please join and become a fan.

• April 2, 2010 at 2:27 pmPw3age

I geniunely enjoy this series, although the whole “left my toy under the open window in a storm, and then gets hit by lightning” is kinda unbelievable. So many blue, white, and red.

• April 2, 2010 at 2:44 pmhaseo0408

It’s great random curiosity will still be around. I’m going to give it a shot to this series, after all I heard Stan Lee was involved in its creation. Also, could you upload the op and ed to mediafire or megaupload, please.

• April 2, 2010 at 3:19 pmAndante

Sweet time to look into this.

• April 2, 2010 at 4:07 pmDawn

Not bad at all. I enjoyed this episode, sold VA’s, splendid animation and great art.

Despite it being all behind this kid’s perspective, hopefully we’ll see some development so that he can backhand that stereotypical american ‘jock’ asshole without the help of a giant robot– really, that would win it for me, but I have a feeling it could turn out more of a ‘kids’ show, which correct me if I’m wrong, might be what its aimed for anyways.

I enjoyed it, and it was interesting to see them bring the ol’ american culture to life, in anime.

• April 2, 2010 at 4:20 pmFX102A

And the RC Legend lives on…

Haven’t watched the ep yet but my only disappointment so far is that the English song in the sneak-peak trailer was neither the opening or ending theme as I had anticipated.

• April 2, 2010 at 4:49 pmZeross

Interesting, i’ll give it a few eps

• April 2, 2010 at 4:55 pmXel

Good first ep, thought the lighting was kinda cliched thought.

• April 2, 2010 at 5:43 pmateos

Great for the new side…………………………………are you gonna upload (not just stream) de OP and Ed like Omni?

I hope that not sound Rude

• April 2, 2010 at 5:53 pmdustandechoes91

Im gonna like this show a lot i feel, but Joey not only looks too much like an american girl but sounds too much like a girl too. Lol’d at stan lee at the bar though.

• April 2, 2010 at 6:14 pmKaRaven

i like th e new site :)

• April 2, 2010 at 7:57 pmhaseo0408

Something is wrong with the file upload it says it is angel beats ed and no heroman op. Could you please do something about it.

• April 3, 2010 at 8:50 amdivine

Fixed.

• April 2, 2010 at 8:01 pmtenchu1990

@@.@@

• April 2, 2010 at 8:34 pmmegalith

Will watch this for my appreciation for quality outpour. +1 to list!

• April 2, 2010 at 8:46 pmChloesong

Looks pretty, sounds generic… Not completely sold on watching it yet. On another note, I wonder how to get an icon. :D

• April 3, 2010 at 8:53 amdivine

To get your own avatar, sign up for a free Gravatar account. It will be tied to the e-mail address that you comment with on any site that supports it.

• April 2, 2010 at 9:10 pmkonaha

I’m going to continue watching just for the fun of it. On a side note: the character design really is very similar to this: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Elemental_Hero_Neos

• April 2, 2010 at 9:13 pmkonaha

Oh and the Skrugg just remind me of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Yugioh meets Gurren Lagann? xD

• April 3, 2010 at 12:19 amHagiri

Excellent new site !!!

as for the show, i’ll give it 5 out of 10 for now…
    i’m guessing stan lee decided on the design for heroman, as it just does not appeal to me -or i’m just used to seeing gundam like designs-…
    the ‘To be continued’ message at the end reminded me of Back to the Future…
    need to see the rest of the show to see how it goes…

• April 3, 2010 at 12:20 amabe

hmm stan lee is getting into the manga industry now. Guess he got tired of all the retcons in american comics. Manga and Anime like to keep a somewhat linear storyline. I will check Heroman out. Thanks Divine for posting this. You have no idea how much this means to all of us.

• April 3, 2010 at 12:48 amk2000k

@ Ashan

My guess is that they are driving home that this show isn’t set in Japan, and honestly the American flags everywhere isn’t unusual, if you look around a major city you will see them everywhere, you just don’t notice. I live in Seattle and one of our skyscrapers has a monster of a flag on it, not to mention every hotel downtown has a few. I don’t know about you but the environment seemed believable, which impressed me, reminded me of Fresno. Well see if the series is any good in the long haul, but given what I saw with the setting and how the studio did its research I am willing to watch it, and that is saying something because I usually won’t watch shows of this genre.

• April 3, 2010 at 1:34 amSeventhMoon

Great first ep. Has there been any confirmation about how many episodes this is going to be?

• April 3, 2010 at 8:56 amdivine

The total number of episodes hasn’t been announced officially, but I get the feeling this will be a fairly long-running shounen series. i.e. In the SOUL EATER ~50 episode range.

• April 3, 2010 at 2:05 amZero_Breaker

Nice to see the new site up and running! I think i will watch the first few episodes of Heroman, than see how it goes. And nice work DIVINE

• April 3, 2010 at 4:01 amJayars

Each time Joey yells out “Hero man!”, I can’t help but feel goosebumps, and not in a good way. His/her voice annoys me a lot.

• April 3, 2010 at 5:46 amArabesque

Looks nice.

• April 3, 2010 at 5:56 amJay

This looks more like in the style of a tokusatsu than American comic.

• April 3, 2010 at 6:47 amSnipyro

Liking the new site, especially with the gravatars and the direct replies!

• April 3, 2010 at 7:15 amSmile

can you please upload the opening and the ending again please
    i think it is the wrong upload

• April 3, 2010 at 9:01 amdivine

As mentioned above, the download link should point to the right file now.

• April 3, 2010 at 9:16 amyanipheonu

Only reason I want to watch this is because the cheerleader kinda looks like Samus :D

• April 3, 2010 at 9:48 ambabawaba

lol… “J”oey “J”ones, thats so Stan Lee

• April 3, 2010 at 6:07 pmNuula

i LOVE the whole american thing going on here. So many cliches xD

• April 3, 2010 at 6:12 pmwhalegator

looks intresting

• April 3, 2010 at 10:40 pmsweetvanilla

I like the songs they used for the OP and ED. Just don’t like the generic story.. I wished they didn’t begin the story in the “superhero changed by lightning” plot…

• April 4, 2010 at 2:54 amFullMetalQAF

I don’t know how good or bad this series is, but anything Bones does LOOKS stunning. They have a real talent. And I love the ending song

• April 4, 2010 at 6:35 amBlitz

Thanks for keeping the site up Divine!
    Gonna check out this series too see what Stan Lee has to offer in anime.

• April 4, 2010 at 10:12 amShiz

I like the animation. Big fan of bones. Story, ill give it another 2-3 episodes.

• April 5, 2010 at 2:30 amPorcelain

article:
      > BONES doesn’t disappoint and everything is simply better animated with voice-overs.

The animation’s great, but story wise … two to three episodes more to try and see like Shiz wrote.

• April 5, 2010 at 2:11 amSecsuey

:S this feel… generic?
    I only wanted to check it cus it was made by Stan lee put meeeeeh…
    C’est la vie

• April 5, 2010 at 6:43 amDecoy

dunno if this has been posted already but this series somewhat reminds me of another series shown in cartoon network, I believe the title of that series is robot boy.

• April 5, 2010 at 6:53 amNoririn

Joey is practically a trap, that alone is enough to keep me watching this series. *Waits for rule 34*

• April 5, 2010 at 7:00 amDecoy

And the alien at the end of the episode kind of reminds me of the aliens in the ben 10 series ahahaha, although im not saying that I dont like the series since im a huge fan of bones plus this is a collaboration with stan lee and im really interested as what would happen next.

• April 5, 2010 at 3:49 pmAsdf

Joey = girl. God damnit animators failed.

• April 5, 2010 at 9:06 pmviewer

American cartoon meets Japanese animation in all the right ways, thank you Stan Lee

• April 9, 2010 at 12:29 pmRido98

At 14:47, the man in the bar asking for a coffee refill is Stan Lee….