Introduction – “So I heard RC needed some One Piece coverage…”

intro thecrew

Well that’s where I come in, as I not only watch and read One Piece, but breathe it as well. Hyperboles aside, I’m not as fanatic about it as one who spends a lot more time analyzing the possible future and connections of the world of One Piece. However, One Piece represents to me so many things that I consider precious in life, being the passionate adventure through the sea, or the nakama connections of companionships. A satisfactory life to me is one that is full of these experiences. Yet as much as I treasure the main foundations that One Piece is built upon, it’s not to say I don’t enjoy the many twists and turns our Strawhat Pirates go through. Before all that however…

It might be interesting to know a bit about my own “anime” background, as this is an introductory post after all. If not, skip to the fourth paragraph. Funnily enough, my first experience with anime was with Sailor Moon. I really liked it for some reason, so an unconscious anime lover was born in those moments perhaps. I was an avid Saturday morning cartoon kid and watched Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! just like everyone else in my grade. Toonami had it’s share of shows as well. One of the last few anime I saw on Toonami was Yu Yu Hakusho. That was the best dub I have ever seen and I even finished it years later, all 112 episodes in about two sittings. Yes, 13 hour long marathons. It appears I had good taste even when I was little. (c’mon, YYH was amazing)

Sooner or later I was subject to the computer and the Internet and began broadening my horizons. At the time, I thought 24 episode series were incredibly short and didn’t even want to bother getting into them for fear of a waste of time. Laughable, sure, but then I was given Full Metal Alchemist to watch and told that it was amazing. 51 episodes later, mind blown, and the rest is history. There was still a slow climb to see more anime as time went on. It definitely helped that I watched mostly top tier shows when I started out, like Kanon. Currently I figure I know almost every anime that exists out there (slight exaggeration), which goes to show how drastically I’ve been sucked into the anime field. -_-’

One Piece on the other hand, deserves its own paragraph. I picked up OP one day hanging out at the library, thinking that the art looked cool. Haters gonna hate, but I loved it. I started flipping through the pages and was immediately captured by the goal-oriented story as well as the expressive characters littered throughout the story. At that time, I had no idea there was such a thing as a One Piece anime, so when it shown on TV commercials, I was ecstatic. Needless to say, 4Kids completely massacred the anime and scarred me from the inside. Interestingly enough, it was because of 4Kids that I began searching for fansubs of One Piece. OP may have even been one of the first anime I started watching fansubs for.

With that said, I’ll just rattle off some of my favorites so you can get a sense of where my taste lies. There’s Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (obligatory), Kanon (cried twice), the previously mentioned Yu Yu Hakusho, Lovely Complex, Welcome to NHK!, Mushi-shi, and Death Note (typical). As you can see, I pretty much watch anything except yaoi. Yeah, I’m sort of like Divine in that sense. Not surprising, but I feel that nothing will ever take One Piece’s place as number one.

I’ve been following Random Curiosity for five years now, always lurking in the shadows, never even making a single comment. I’ve enjoyed RandomC immensely through the years as it guided me through shows and helped make recommendations. Before I knew of Chartfag’s charts, RandomC was the only organizable list of upcoming anime every season bundled with a bonus of commentary. Omni and Divine have done an incredibly admirable job here, and I hope this continues for as long as possible for the years to come.

intro omk

As you might have possibly inferred from the opening paragraph, I will be covering One Piece manga and a couple of the latest episodes of the anime to see if I can handle the commitment. I’m excited to be able to present my opinions on the gem that is One Piece to an incredibly large audience that’s built up at RC over the years. One Piece is a brilliant subject to work with, as I’ll try to refine my blogging to the standards that have been made around RC. Lock and load guys, we’ll be heading into the New World soon.

Sorry for the incredibly long intro, hope I haven’t bored you already!
As it seems proper to say so, “Kiiragi desu. Yoroshiku ne!” 「キイラギです。よろしくね~」

April 17, 2010 at 8:08 pm
  • April 18, 2010 at 7:41 amLightningJC

You call those pirates?..more like gangsters that wanna act cool… they jump on a boat and start shooting randomly. All they can do is shoot…how many times can you watch a bullet fly? and how many times can you watch some super special skills?

• April 18, 2010 at 7:43 amLightningJC

to wayne

• April 18, 2010 at 10:47 amDarklord

Yeah, every time people give me Black Lagoon as an example of good pirate anime, I laugh. It’s more of a gritty gangster/mafia type of story with an overall bleak outlook on life.

One Piece, on the other hand is a true classical pirate anime, which exhibits the spirit of adventure, freedom and endless optimism from its every page!

• April 18, 2010 at 3:57 pmJason Isenberg

Sorry this is off topic but hey Lightning just so you know I’m the one who created that Naruto wallpaper that you’re using as an avatar (Jason Isenberg@JaYson Designs). I don’t mind if you keep it, it was just surprising someone liked it. If you don’t believe me, click my name. My site is right there. Oh and nice to meet you Kiiragi, more people = good!

• April 19, 2010 at 1:48 amLightningJC

Thank you for making such a wonderful picture! =)

• April 18, 2010 at 8:11 ammadao

your tastes match mine…your weird

• April 18, 2010 at 8:26 amcore

LOL. Now, if only someone did coverages on yaoi… XD

• April 18, 2010 at 8:31 amNASA.

Will you only be covering one piece or will you be covering other series as well?

• April 18, 2010 at 8:50 amstarss

It sounds official: One Piece is the new Bleach of RC! XD

I say, let me at it!

• April 18, 2010 at 8:56 amAnn

:D Looking forward to it!

• April 18, 2010 at 10:24 amHavoc03

I would rather prefer Bleach to continue to be covered on RC instead of One Piece. (if it had to be only one series, that is)

• April 18, 2010 at 1:55 pmKiiragi

Bleach may still get covered, Divine has two people he’s trying out just like I was. However, if they don’t work out, I may just cover Bleach myself. It’ll be hard for Bleach to be as exciting as the One Piece coverage though. Just kidding :P

• April 18, 2010 at 10:28 amAcylia

Yes! Good luck on RC, Kiiragi! ^^

• April 18, 2010 at 11:31 amSoapie

Looking forward to your posts :)

• April 18, 2010 at 11:43 amTitolion

FUCK YEAH!!! YYH was amazing!!! But sometimes, I think is underrated a lot.

• April 18, 2010 at 11:53 amKamiya Yato-kun

I hate pirates!!! (No ofense!)

• April 18, 2010 at 12:00 pmanon234

I have yet to see OP be featured on any blog, so I’m glad you decided to give it a try.

• April 18, 2010 at 12:11 pmChloesong

Welcome to RC, looking forward to reading your posts~ =D

• April 18, 2010 at 12:17 pmfreedomapoc

nice i love one piece
    much thx kiiragi i feel like ill enjoy your blogging
    hope bleach can be readded on the blog too would be nice

• April 18, 2010 at 12:41 pmmidenz

WOO! yes one piece is being blogged on RC! Can’t wait! Hope you continue with you soon after and nice intro! applies to me as well!

• April 18, 2010 at 12:48 pmTrejon

wahah, your tastes matches mine… you got a really good taste, oddly enough i started anime watching TORIBIO, Heidi, mazinger Z, you know(the classics) and then sailor moon showed up along with saint seiya and dragonball, after that with pokemon and yuyuhakusho and SLAYERS, you’re under arrest and a few more I don’t remember right now, just like you =P, and as we were thinking the same thing, the TV no longer picked my interest and started using the internet =P, I’m not going to exaggerate that i know mostly of the animes out there, but i have seen roughly 800… and out of all those series/mangas/movies/ovas and whatever there is, none has picked my interest and entertained me more than ONE PIECE! (Second place goes to mahou sensei negima…)

• April 18, 2010 at 1:11 pmzeropi

all the coments asside, welcome

• April 18, 2010 at 1:12 pmneko

nice! One Piece at last! .. i always asked myself “”How come there is Bleach, Naruto , and NO ONE PIECE?!..

thanks Kiiragi, good luck and welcome!

• April 18, 2010 at 1:29 pmichigo_daisuki

I hope for your success, Kiiragi ^_^

• April 18, 2010 at 1:50 pmtension

looking forward to it.

• April 18, 2010 at 1:53 pmROFLWAFFLELAWL

I think all we need is a Deadman Wonderland coverage and we’d be set.

• April 19, 2010 at 2:02 pmNice Holystone

It can always get better!
      But yeah, a Deadman Wonderland coverage would be cool.

• April 18, 2010 at 2:09 pmAnonymooo

More One Piece appreciation is always a good thing. Good luck with blogging, I’m really looking forward to reading your thoughts.

• April 18, 2010 at 2:27 pmbattler

AL LAST no more bleach fillers, the best shounen is going to be blogged :)

• April 18, 2010 at 4:24 pmredlupine

I had always hoped One Piece would someday be covered by one of the few blogs I go to
    (Seiha, THAT, RC).

yay RC, now I have more reason to come here.

• April 18, 2010 at 4:45 pmsaiko

WIN

• April 18, 2010 at 5:39 pmKoby

YYH is one of my favorite shonen series.. and one of the best dubs I’ve ever heard. One Piece. I been planning to pick up for a while now but haven’t yet. Currently downloading the subs though and will start it soon. So you blogging it is a welcome addition. Welcome to the RC staff!

• April 18, 2010 at 6:19 pmOdeus

OMG Kiiragi!!!! You’re my favorite already!!! Let’s be Nakama!!!

• April 18, 2010 at 6:41 pmWhisper

Awww, I liked how RC was mainly covering mainly new anime and not ongoing series (other than Bleach, I lost interest in that long ago so I don’t really care). Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge OP fan, but due to certain reasons I’m not and won’t be fully caught up for some foreseeable future (currently I’m re-watching the series with some others but I haven’t watched the last 40+ episodes).

If I could ask for a small favor, could you please not include spoiler pics and spoiler titles on the main page? If it comes down to reading RC and possibly glimpsing OP spoilers or being spoiler-free and not visiting RC I’d go the latter route hands down, 10 times out of 10.

• April 18, 2010 at 7:44 pmKiiragi

As I answered before, I’ll try my best to not have spoiler pictures and titles on the main page. The first manga post is already up, and as you can see (hopefully), it’s not spoilerific at all. You might THINK it’s a spoiler at times, but if you knew what I knew, you would know it’s not. Trust me, I was paranoid too when I was only an anime follower. Then when I caught up in manga, I realized most spoilers my friends annoyed me with weren’t spoilers at all, just random unimportant things.

• April 18, 2010 at 9:04 pmWhisper

To me, there’s no unimportant things when it comes to my favorite show =P

Thanks, appreciate it. Actually was looking around and heard about the manga chapter title page “mini-arcs”. Never even knew about them, and I found them very interesting. I know when I watched the anime and Jango was on Hina’s ship, I was o.O But now that I’ve read some of the mini-arcs (e.g. Jango’s Dance Paradise) it fills in some of the background info.

• April 18, 2010 at 8:15 pmZero

Could use FT Anime coverage, and it’ll rock, IMO.

• April 19, 2010 at 12:27 amjinzu

well this will be interesting, you should blog fairy tale as well since they are similar in many aspects.

• April 19, 2010 at 2:04 pmNice Holystone

Fairy Tail* xD

• April 19, 2010 at 12:54 amAmy

WIN

• April 19, 2010 at 1:25 amMrRei

It’s good to see another hand to do Divine’s bidding.. the more bloggers the better for RC. just don’t quit or disappear suddenly like someone :D

• April 19, 2010 at 5:58 amLightningJC

I hope Omni would come back and help Divine, Kiiragi and the others so they wouldn’t need to spend so much time blogging and do not have any free time left! So…RC bloggers please try and drag him back to make your blogging easier…I was thinking about this cause if Kiiragi posts all the OP episodes, he will have no free time at all!!

• April 19, 2010 at 12:18 pmRockmanshii

Welcome man.

• April 20, 2010 at 10:24 amGil

Omni should do only Bleach(if he’s got time), this guy doing OP, and we need someone else doing Fairy Tail.

• April 20, 2010 at 7:55 pmtman

I hope whoever covers bleach does both the anime and manga.

• « Older Comments