Arakawa Under the Bridge – 05 »« Arakawa Under the Bridge – 03

Arakawa Under the Bridge – 04

Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   01 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   02 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   03
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   04 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   05 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   06
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   07 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   08 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   09
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   10 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   11 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   12
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   13 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   14 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   15
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   16 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   17 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   18
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   19 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   20 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   21
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   22 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   23 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   24
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   25 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   26 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   27
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   28 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   29 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   30
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   31 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   32 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   33
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   34 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   35 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   36
Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   37 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   38 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   39

「4 BRIDGE」

Kamiya Hiroshi is reunited with Saitou Chiwa in another SHAFT production since Bakemonogatari, but he’s not getting any loving this time as the little orphan girl from Great Britain absolutely destroys Riku in a one-on-one “play fight” and makes him her new underling. Having hung around Sister before, I guess it’s no surprise that Stella is like that; however, it still doesn’t change the fact that she can unleash killer ground-to-air combos that happen so quickly that Riku doesn’t even know what hit him. Hilariously enough, a few seconds of his life must have been wiped from his memory as the traumatic ordeal jostled his brain and left him wondering if a grade schooler just kicked his ass. Unfortunately for Riku, he doesn’t even get the opportunity to try and forget it ever happened since Stella is quick to remind him that he can’t be no big brother of hers (i.e. in a yakuza kind of way) if he can’t beat her in a fight. Now it could just be me, but even with the whole stapler in your mouth thing, Senjougahara Hitagi is looking like sunshine and rainbows in comparison to Stella. At least Riku thought about hightailing it like everyone else when Sister asked someone to look after her for a bit, even though he was late to act.

Before things got a bit out of hand with Stella’s introduction, the continuation of Riku and Nino’s date went surprisingly normal, or at least as normal as one can expect from a date between an Earthling and a “Venusian” who live under a bridge together. Admittedly, the whole bit with Riku emphasizing the important of a sense of distance in a relationship and eventually having their hearts understand one another was pretty silly, especially with the way Nino took it in a literal sense and how Riku got swept up in her understanding of it, but there was still some good intention behind trying to carry Nino like a princess to get into the right mood. It’s just too bad Riku failed in its execution and ended up delivering a good number of knees to her ribs instead.

In contrast to that, the real romantic moment came when Riku was able to sense Nino’s unhappiness over her reed boat not making it to the ocean. I’m a bit curious as to what her attachment to that is and whether it symbolizes something else to her, but credit goes to Riku for deciding not to ask even though he was curious about it and simply jump into the water to help the boat along. That was probably one of the few things that went right in their date, along with his line about being a mere Earthling and how he’d like to be with her if she’s okay with it, which won Nino over in more ways than he’s probably aware. I wasn’t anticipating anything profound from the romance department in this series, but scenes like that have me wondering if Riku and Nino’s gag-filled relationship will actually amount to something in the end. It would be awfully cute if it does, but I’m okay with these little glimpses of romance even if it doesn’t.

Lastly, we saw the introduction of Sawashiro Miyuki‘s character in the series — a beautiful farm girl named Maria. Seeing as she runs a farm by the riverside with livestock and all, it was hard to imagine that she would be relatively normal. It didn’t take long for my suspicion to come to light though, as she’s quick to tell Riku not to bother introducing himself since it’s a waste of the Earth’s oxygen. Compound that thought with her saying she’ll teach him how to covert carbon dioxide back to oxygen and you just know she’s one messed up individual. Apparently, she only says stuff like that to get a reaction out of people, but when she’s unable to get one out of Sister yet manages to open up the stitches on his face, something is seriously not right there. Why do the pretty ones always have to be crazy?

Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   Preview 01 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   Preview 02 Arakawa Under the Bridge   04   Preview 03

April 26, 2010 at 9:13 pm
  • April 26, 2010 at 9:18 pmPw3age

Saitou Chiwa and blushing Nino. Hell yeah!

• April 26, 2010 at 9:42 pmClick

Those are some insane combos right there =P

• April 26, 2010 at 11:49 pmShadoWanderer

Yep insane combos, i had to rewatch just to see what insane moves they were, hope we see more of Stella’s moves

• April 26, 2010 at 9:52 pminnerchihiro

Hahaha!! Poor Nino and the “princess treatment.”

• April 26, 2010 at 9:59 pmshiryoenbou

arrrrghh! subs always take forever with this series. I cant get anything done until i watch this lol

• April 27, 2010 at 1:02 amFlags

Oh god, this show has Sakamoto Maaya and Saito Chiwa. If they added Noto Mamiko to this show I think I would have to stop watching anime, since never again could a harem reach the level of my dream harem with those three.

• April 27, 2010 at 2:33 amTehJawknee

Poor Riku, he was warned by Sister, yet he had to play Big Brother. Also, I burst out laughing when Maria’s barrage finally popped Sister’s stitches. Ah, Miyuki. We may have lost you in Angel Beats!, but it looks like you’ve got another home here.

• April 27, 2010 at 4:53 amamado

riku should know by know anyone that show up under the bridge is crazy.
    sister is turning to be my fave char here, his defense were however broken by stella’s “Kamikaze” and maria’s quote “your boring” show that he’s the next most normal person in the series.

• April 27, 2010 at 5:37 amKarmafan

Are the voice actresses in Japan well paid? I mean the top level ones that seem to be in just about every other series as a main character (like Sawashiro Miyuki).

• April 27, 2010 at 5:50 amlvlln

From what I’ve read, no, they’re not well paid at all. Which is precisely why they (have to) star in so many roles. I’d guess, if anyone, Maaya Sakamoto, who doesn’t play many roles but always a main role when she does, gets paid most out of the VAs.

• April 27, 2010 at 5:47 amlvlln

I loved the bending saw sound effect during the “carried like a princess” scene. And Nino’s facial expressions were priceless, including the blushes at the end. I for one am and have been expecting good things out of the romance department from this show.

• April 27, 2010 at 5:47 amMrRei

hmm.. i felt like divine’s post are getting a bit late. getting a bit tired divine?

• April 27, 2010 at 9:16 amTehJawknee

Dude, it’s ok for Divine to have a life. I rarely read the posts until AFTER I’ve watched the episode. But it’s nice to see a couple of screen shots on the main screen to give me an idea of what to expect.

I’m sure you read when he said he had a party the other day and ended up staying the night (go Divine!) and not updating Angel Beats! until he got home. I personally would rather he have a life and be a little late than crack under the pressure of writing so many reviews that he finally quits.

• April 27, 2010 at 4:09 pmamado

yeah, me too.
        I usually watch first then read the post unless I don’t plan to watch it.

• April 28, 2010 at 8:06 amMrRei

hehe.. I’m not asking him to speed it up.. point is it’s good he’s resting a bit ^^

• April 27, 2010 at 9:41 amPazoozoo

Now that is what I call great combos xD

• April 27, 2010 at 9:52 amzeropi

so far this episode and the second are the funniest in the series, any episode involving “sister” ends up being too funny to handle. i probably will never be able to forget the best quote ever, “thats not a sister, its a brother”

• April 27, 2010 at 9:55 amLil’ Lilly

What Riku has yet to realize is that he is equally crazy as the other characters. Lol. What’s with the distance thing and “to be carried like a princess”? XD Well yeah, he has zero experience in love. Lol. Both Riku and Nino are so romantic at times!

I’m so in love with the ED.

• April 27, 2010 at 11:26 amIsland Esper

I don’t loke the princess way !!! Way to go Nino. Stella four course combo is a hidden move in the new Street Figther game. There nothing like a great insult without using dirty words!! I’m going to make that one mine: “don’t waste the oxygen with introductions” that has to be the quote of the season !

• April 27, 2010 at 9:00 pmkazekaeru

NICE GRASS BOAT

• April 27, 2010 at 10:49 pmamado

this reminds me….
    divine
    when do you think the final ep of bakemonogatari is gonna air?

• April 28, 2010 at 12:47 amdivine

I haven’t checked to be honest, so I’m not even sure if there’s a scheduled air date for it.

• April 28, 2010 at 7:24 pmlvlln

It’ll air “when it’s done,” I imagine. I never would have thought it, but Bakemonogatari could end up taking longer than Katanagatari to air a full season. Damn you, Shaft.

• April 28, 2010 at 10:21 ambankai000

the best episode of arakawa under the bridge so far. I really liked Stella 3 combos, it was so hilarious.

• April 28, 2010 at 4:14 pmamado

she actually did a 4-combo, sister warned to only use 3-combo and she said ‘mistake’

• April 29, 2010 at 6:56 ammegalith

Someone shoot me for watching this too late. TOTALLY HILARIOUS EP!!!!

• April 30, 2010 at 8:20 pmSentinel

Lol, for a moment there I thought Maria was like one of those crazy ALF activists…
    (Google it if you’re not sure what ALF is)

• April 30, 2010 at 8:30 pmsealouse