Bleach – 274 »« Bleach – 273

Crunchyroll Secures Rights to Simulcast Bleach

Bleach   Crunchyroll

Whether you’re appreciative of the service Crunchyroll provides or just hate them because you feel you’re obligated to “free” fansubs, it still doesn’t change the fact they’re trying to provide oversea viewers with legitimate access to the latest and greatest shows straight from Japan. In essence, you’re paying for an anime TV specialty channel, which for roughly five bucks a month isn’t all that expensive. In addition, some of that money goes back to the creators and supports the anime industry, which really needs all the help it can get. Anyway, Crunchyroll’s big thing started with Naruto and now they have Bleach after petitioning for it.

Dattebayo has already announced that they will cease their fansubs of it much like they did with Naruto now that there is a legitimate viable alternative. Personally, I think this is a good direction for both the industry and fans alike but hey, that’s just me. Crunchyroll says they’re trying to secure rights to stream to more regions, but for the launch of Bleach they already have North America (US, Canada, Mexico), the Caribbean, Central and South America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. Not too shabby.

June 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm
  • June 2, 2010 at 8:22 pmgodslayer

as long as they dont get one piece then i dont really care

• June 2, 2010 at 8:24 pmMilesEdgeworth

Somehow I can’t see FUNimation allowing that to happen since they provide their own subs for One Piece.

• June 2, 2010 at 8:25 pmdivine

FUNimation has rights to One Piece, so that won’t be happening. They’re simulcasting the episodes themselves.

• June 2, 2010 at 8:46 pmacadia

I disagree. We need a 720P option with softsubs that we would PAY for.

Does Funi offer that? No. So for people like me spolied on my 24″ widescreen LCD, it’s painful to watch One Piece legally every week fullscreen.

I, and I know many others, would love to PAY for an HD option.

• June 3, 2010 at 12:14 pmZerosama

first all, people thinks that they have the ‘right’ to have their anime for free!!! I understand that i feel the same, however I don’t watch bleach, naruto, OP or other anime avialable for simulcast, but if they wud start doing simultaneous-publishing manga online then i wud definitely subcribe…

2ndly, paid anime is very unpopular, I think it’s only for people with very good conscience and aware of the treat to the industry and of course their are the stupid ones!!! so I think both funi. and crunhy should come to terms and start building a consumer base 1st. so this should include sub-contracting each other for popular shows and stop the illegal release online…

• June 2, 2010 at 8:31 pmjsmith1a2000

i agree with divine, it’s a step in a good direction. i like bleach but never bought the DVDs because they were only dubbed, but now i can ”support” the industry by paying the 5 bucks per month since it’s officially subbed. by the way, i thought that paying allowed the user to see the episode the same day (or the next), but if you wait a week, then it’s free right ?

• June 2, 2010 at 8:39 pmdivine

Correct, it’s free to everyone a week later, but with advertisements (i.e. commercials). The free version is only available in standard def too, as opposed to 480p and/or 720p.

• June 2, 2010 at 8:34 pmPw3age

I want to support the anime industry, but sometimes for a student(either high school or lower, or university/college students), you just don’t have the money to spare. I started watching anime because it was a hobby you could do for free.
    Somehow I dislike Crunchyroll for its actions, I don’t know why. Maybe because I dislike the fact that only low quality videos are for free. I’d rather support them by donations, but I know large companies don’t work like that.

• June 3, 2010 at 11:56 amZerosama

I think $5 a month is very cheap, im a student i pay for phone contract in dollars thats about $60 a month, gym membership. I think everyone in someway pays for something every month… With all the countries mention above, I think it’s just a problem of wether kids around 11-13 have an account to set up the direct debit

• June 2, 2010 at 8:39 pmKaineng

well that’s just you, but sad for those outside US… damn even my favourite anime gets eaten by license…

• June 2, 2010 at 8:40 pmdivine

Just for the record, I’m outside the US as well.

• June 2, 2010 at 8:42 pmKaineng

haha let’s sob together with the bad news that we have to WAIT for someone to help bring it to us, in any way possible… *sob*

• June 2, 2010 at 10:00 pmdivine

Heh, you’re alone on that one as I don’t follow Bleach anymore. Also, I’m not in the US but Crunchyroll’s simulcasts are available in my region.

• June 2, 2010 at 8:43 pmKING OF NIGERIA

Of course, Crunchyroll rips will always be available online for those who really want to download Bleach. I’ll be doing so as well, since, personally, I find CR’s site to be very laggy and difficult to navigate, and I’m not a big fan on streaming video in general. I am considering getting a CR subscription, though. Hopefully, they’re still doing that video download thing.

• June 3, 2010 at 12:12 pmUvaa

Same – Crunchyroll site is terrible to stream from here in UK.

I’ll probably pay for the sub as I’d love to support them, and just download the rip anyway.

• June 2, 2010 at 8:50 pmPhilip

oh wells.

• June 2, 2010 at 9:10 pmXanathos

5 bucks a month is like 30 coins in here, and that’s a lot. So basically you have to pay for everything including anime. Sincerely, i don’t blame the fansubs for the crisis anime industry is living… than the financial crisis… and i think it hasn’t been resolved yet.
    Anyway… in my case, if all fansubs stopped to distribute Bleach, would mean… no Bleach for me at all. Sorry, no 5 bucks to fell dead for.

• June 2, 2010 at 9:37 pmClick

The secret is to wait 5 minutes after the release and it’ll show up on an anime viewing site for free LOL. Kinda makes you wonder why some people pay aside from the HD streams.

• June 3, 2010 at 3:54 amdragon tattoo

SOME people have a conscience.

• June 2, 2010 at 9:21 pmmenx64

****Bleach they already have North America (US, Canada, Mexico), the Caribbean, Central and South America,****

In which language? If they want to own the rights in latinamerica, they have subbed in spanish, otherwise this doesnt make any sense…

• June 2, 2010 at 9:21 pmFirefly

Just great, now that they’re streaming it legally for free I’ll have to get it by illegal…er methods since It’ll probably get region blocked like with everything else the US licensed.
    One of the highlights of my Wednesday mornings was watching Bleach on my mobile during my trip to work.

• June 2, 2010 at 9:35 pmClick

Well, I’m not really a fan of Crunchy not just because you have to pay for it, because well, their subs kinda suck. I probably shouldn’t be the person to talk, but there are a lot of other good fansub groups who are happy to do this for free (unless they’re gg, but its cool cause they’re badass). CrunchyRoll also totally skips out on the OP, ED, and soundtracks. I’m not exactly a hater of CR, but I see a lot of groups which offer superior service for free (although 720 streaming is limited to the abilities of the site you’re streaming from). Although I’d have to say that the CR’s subbing kinda affects the watching person’s view of the characters, because Viz and CR often edit out some of the obscenities we know and love. Its kinda sad though to have seen Dattebayo drop its 2 main projects over the past 2 years. Although I did give up on those animes due to fillers and started watching the manga, those guys did a hell of a good job on it.

• June 2, 2010 at 9:51 pmdivine

I don’t know how good your understanding of Japanese is Click (or anyone else who criticizes translations), but I find Crunchyroll’s subs pretty accurate. If anything, they’re generally more accurate than most fansubs (except for the well established groups) simply because they get delivered the actual scripts and can ask the producers for clarification on proper nouns and whatnot.

As for the OP/ED karaoke, they don’t include them because they always have difficulty getting the rights from the song writers to use them. They generally have them prepped and ready to go, but simply aren’t allowed to include them. One of their translators who used to be a fansubber did a Q&A before to clear up a lot of this confusion.

I’m not trying to be a pro-CR representative or anything, but there seem to be a lot of misconceptions about them in general.

• June 2, 2010 at 10:20 pmClick

Mmmm, I see. To be honest I’m a little misinformed (and a little closed-minded xD) so I kinda went into rant-mode somewhere in the middle of the chunk of text without being completely informed. TBH, I always thought they skipped the OP and ED because they felt like(which is kinda something a really dense person would think) and it makes a lot of sense that they excluded them due to getting rights to the songs.

Thanks for informing a pretty much hardly informed guy on the issue, lol =P

• June 3, 2010 at 1:05 amunlisted

I’m not against CR but they need to do a more thorough job of subbing. I’m unable to read Japanese signs. Also, they need to flair with their subbing (typesetting). Hell just hire the fansubbers.

• June 2, 2010 at 9:38 pmDan

I guess this is the end for Dattebayo
    Bleach is gonna suck now too since Crunchyroll’s subs suck ballsz.

• June 2, 2010 at 9:39 pmpierce

Nooooooo, f*** this! I love Dattebayo and their random messages at the end of each episode’s OP. They kept me watching Bleach all these years, so reading this news really struck me hard.

• June 3, 2010 at 7:41 pmAfallenrock

That made me lol

• June 2, 2010 at 9:42 pmtman

I hope they keep the shinigami goldens in or I will be mighty ****ed, that’s the only part I watch in most episodes.

• June 2, 2010 at 10:14 pmPLH

My only fear is Viz doing the subs, and how much, or how little, is actually going to be localized.

• June 2, 2010 at 10:43 pm3 am

Ugh…not sure how I can respond to this…it’ll be a real shift from DB. It’s good that I can watch it legally now and everything but still…ugh, CR, just ugh.

• June 2, 2010 at 10:48 pmSsenshiro

This news is horrible. People who subscribe to Crunchyroll always seem to make them out as good guys who only want to give them stuff. Crunchyroll is a company, companies exist for money. I gave them a chance and their services are nowhere near pay-per-month quality. The subs are terrible in both translation and visuals and the site is annoying and lacks features. They also have to deal with legal bullshit and therefore there’s no song lyrics. I will gladly pay for anime, but why pay for less than we were getting for free? I dropped Crunchyroll and even avoided watching licensed series I wanted to see. Dattebayo streamlined their subbing process and made Bleach subs good; they weren’t perfect but it’s to be expected from free speedsubbers.

I have no problem paying for stuff, but I don’t really appreciate having to resort to Crunchyroll’s anime dictatorship if I want to watch something and not be doing it ‘illegally’.

• June 2, 2010 at 11:06 pmKobukson

And to completely sidetrack the issue, is it just me or does that weapon Ichigo is holding look like a swastika-shaped hammer? 0.0

• June 2, 2010 at 11:21 pmDan

It’s just you..

• June 3, 2010 at 2:17 amMorridin

Indeed, it’s just you.
      Cos it’s a sword with a swastika shaped handguard.
      And before anyone gets kneejerk reactions about that; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
      Swastikas were used in various cultures way before the nazi’s were even around.

• June 4, 2010 at 1:33 pmKobukson

True, I just don’t remember it from the anime much and makes me wonder if there’s a possibility of legal trouble for public anime screenings back in Germany (where I grew up) due to the No Swastika laws.

• June 2, 2010 at 11:11 pmGuardian

Dammit! The best free fansub on the market’s gone thanks to these losers. The moment I found out CrunchyShit edits all their stuff to make it more ‘family-friendly’ was the moment I decided to never watch their crap. I don’t care if they are paying for licensing. They can roll their crunchy asses into the dustbin. Guess I’ll have to find another fansubbing service.

• June 3, 2010 at 4:36 amgarfield15

They don’t edit anything. Where did you get that information?

They air the censored version of some of their shows though.

• June 3, 2010 at 11:01 amKiz

They don’t edit the animation, they edit the subtitles and translations to make it more family-friendly.

• June 3, 2010 at 3:56 pmgarfield15

Really now? Cause I’d love to hear some examples. Especially if you know Japanese.

• June 3, 2010 at 7:04 pmamado

I dont really know much on crunchy roll but I have a comparison from their naruto subbing(I think)
        which kind of sub would you prefer,
        konoha or hidden leaf village?

• June 3, 2010 at 7:47 pmdivine

amado, that’s sort of like formal equivalence versus functional equivalence. Both are acceptable forms of translations and there are justifications to use both. However, the whole proper noun thing with “Konoha” and “Hidden Leaf” is just a preference. That doesn’t have much to do with the translation itself, nor do the inclusion/omission of Japanese gobi (i.e. honorifics).

• June 3, 2010 at 10:14 pmChris

Case and point. Hidan from Naruto, they turned a crazy irrational occultic badass into a kinda rude guy.

I died inside..then i found taka, and the light was restored.

• June 4, 2010 at 2:43 pmRauth

Chris is right, they butchered Hidan. They should really hire DB to sub for them, but then they’d have to share their profits even more.

And some other sub group will pick Bleach up. I forget who is subbing Naruto now, but they’re super-fast and pretty good quality.

• June 2, 2010 at 11:18 pmmangaka-chan

Wow, that’s pretty cool. I don’t watch Naruto or Bleach (blasphemy, I know) but I hope they’ll simulcast more titles in the future.

• June 2, 2010 at 11:37 pmEva

Ughhh, that pisses me off. I can’t stand Crunchyroll because they now have stupid commercials every 10 mins or so.
    -_- Now I’m even more disappointed to hear that Dattebayo will cease their fansubs when I know they’d do FAR FAR better than Crunchyroll themselves. -_-;
    Not good news to me at all.

• June 10, 2010 at 10:27 pmLV

I’m fine with the commercials every 10 minutes. What makes me want to stab someone is when they put a commercial overlay over the top third of the video that you can’t close without causing the control bar to pop up and cover all the subs. (when you’re full screen.)

Rewinding the video to reread what you just missed (because their full screen controls are frankly pretty piss poor) causes the overlay advertisement to pop up again, and it doesn’t go away until you click it off.

• June 2, 2010 at 11:42 pmAnonx

Cripes!

• June 2, 2010 at 11:55 pmNick

Viz was having problems securing rights to more bleach episodes. Now that CR has simulcast rights we might not get anymore bleach. I guess the bad press wasn’t enough to deter them as it seems no one knows or cares.

• June 3, 2010 at 12:01 amunderMebius

Unfortunately, they wont stream it in Asia. Which is useless for me, and I don’t really care much for crunchy roll.

• June 3, 2010 at 12:55 amzz

bleach urh

• June 3, 2010 at 2:33 am0405

Situations like this kind of amuse me. It seems like anime fans have been crying for a solution like this for years, but the moment they’re presented with one, they grasp at any straw they can to actually avoid paying for it.

On the subject of Crunchyroll, it’s nice to see them legalizing all this stuff, but I still have issues with their rather shady beginnings. I’m not gonna be using the service either way, though, so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

• June 3, 2010 at 2:39 amBROOKLYN otaku

Even I realize the bad shape the Anime industry is in, HOWEVER i must say….
    PIRATING FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• October 18, 2010 at 3:18 amImperialX

You should be ashamed, really. Do you want to live off $10000 a year because people are stealing your work?

• June 3, 2010 at 2:52 amavexmode

Not relevant to me since I’m in Asia and Bleach is a shitty show anyway.

• June 3, 2010 at 3:11 amhellknight

i still classfic the crunchyroll company a piece of shit greedy bastard Like ODEX company!!!

if we allow them to take bleach we gonna say byebye to our fansubbed world soon maybe 1year if they success takeover bleach this is a milestone later will be greater cause!!!

Think twice before go for legal anime like crunchyroll.

i saying is to prevent greedy company from earning TON million of $$$ if u not sure.

LASTLY IF Bleach get overtaken by crunchyroll their next step will aim for all new release anime before and after then fansubbed world bye bye

• June 3, 2010 at 3:23 amtommak

well it’s a milestone of ACG
    but it is worser than youtube if HD is not provided.

• June 3, 2010 at 3:27 amhellknight

our fansubbed world going to finish soon doom to die.

crunchyroll take about this season almost 90% bleach they also secure right for bleach all game over fansubbed world i won’t pay for shit subbed and shit video fuk u crunchyroll so on.

next season anime they will be replace our fansubbed world with CRUNCHYROLL takeover so PLEASE don’t go pay useless money on fuk up WORK Viz and Crunchyroll they sux i see all their subbed work damn lousy lowest quality and fuk up hd720p upscale worst T_T

• June 3, 2010 at 3:49 amSkins Thunderbomb

The problem I have with streaming is that my internet service is limited. The minute I start streaming videos to watch anime is when it chews up my bandwith like no tomorrow, and there goes my internet for the month.

I like the idea of Crunchyroll’s service, I really do. But I prefer downloadable subs over them simply because I am able to watch them again and again without worry about bandwith, since I only download it once.

Otherwise I wouldn’t mind Crunchyroll’s service. :)

• June 3, 2010 at 4:04 amdivine

Now here’s a legitimate reason why the service doesn’t work for someone.

• June 3, 2010 at 4:18 amMorridin

Bit of a tech-noob here, but how much does streaming an episode differ from downloading it in terms of bandwidth usage?

Not being sarcastic, just wondering because it seems to make no sense.

• June 3, 2010 at 11:32 amnicholas

as far as i understand it if he downloads an episode he can watch it multiple times whereas with streaming you have to pay bandwith every time he wants to see an episode. (I know little about bandwith with relation to this issue but thats how i understood it)

• June 3, 2010 at 4:38 amgarfield15

Uh, yeah. I just wanna say anyone saying that Crunchyroll’s subs suck are completely lying.

• June 3, 2010 at 4:50 amdiet otaku

i don’t really have an opinion one way or the other. i paid for crunchy’s service for about 6 months, but ultimately found that free streaming sites offered the same quality with more options (as crunchy doesn’t sub EVERY show airing each season) and less lag.

• June 3, 2010 at 4:57 amzerothelegend

Yet another show falls on HorribleSubs’ shoulders.

• June 3, 2010 at 5:15 amstarss

Dattebayo ceasing its subs is the REAL happy news to this! Now fans will be CERTAIN to watch legit subs online from a reputable company!

• June 3, 2010 at 5:42 amHitsugaya_10

Man, we had better times. Well now, looks like we will get Bleach subs on tuesday. Aint a bad idea really, though i can watch without subs, but i am definately gonna miss DB. DB was one of the better and speedy subbers out there, and will still be. I have been following Bleach steadily for 5 years, and since DB interception, subs have been so much better. Hopefully CR dont let us down.

• June 3, 2010 at 6:21 amGWOtaku

You complainers are something else. If you don’t want to pay for the subs, just wait a week instead of buying a membership. But it’s delusional to believe fansubbers always do a better job. Most people who say that can’t back it up. The complaint is indicative of the sad reality that there are some fans that will use **ANY** excuse to cling to their habit.

This is a legitimate, global stream that is good for everyone.

Since the show is adapting the manga right now, I’ll probably tune in.

• June 3, 2010 at 6:40 amProoof

hm crunchyroll is blocked in my region

• June 3, 2010 at 8:42 amHitsugaya_10

Mine too.. T.T

• June 3, 2010 at 7:48 amEnigmaticWarrior

QFT.

Seriously, it’s sad to see complainers trying to justify downloading fansubs over watching actual legal streams. I certainly do feel sorry for the people who can’t view the streams due to it not being available in their region, having to resort to questionable means to watch the series.

For the people who do live in the regions where the streams will be available, while I’m not condemning you for choosing your fansubs over the legal streams (since they’ll probably be other groups who will take up the mantle to sub Bleach), I’m certainly not condoning it either. There are people out there who want to watch the Japanese episodes of Bleach through legitimate means and with this news, they finally can. There’s a reason why the anime industry is in the sad, pitiful state that it’s currently in right now. While it certainly may not be the biggest factor behind this decline, downloading fansubs for free isn’t exactly helping anyone out at all, especially the industry and all the people who poured their blood, sweat, and tears into bringing these series to life. The only one who benefits is you yourself; there’s no denying that fact.

I know that the issue of fansubs is a gray one that will forever divide the anime fanbase in half, but that’s just how I feel about it. I prefer legitimate methods to watching my anime, either through DVDs/Blu-rays, legal streams, or download-to-own. I actually want to support the anime industry, but hey, that’s just me. I know I can’t be the only one…right? :P

• June 3, 2010 at 6:47 amcaramel_cod

I think I’ll just wait the extra week. I don’t consider watching TV shows for free to be pirating, especially when Toei is subbing One Piece for free now.

Besides, I’m sure some other subbing group will just pick up where dattebayo left off. I’ve seen a lot of Crunchyroll shows that have free subs out on other sites the day of release, I’m sure Bleach will be no different.

• June 3, 2010 at 6:58 amT00dl3s

Great, Germany isn´t on the list again…..
    So I have to stick with the Fansubs again.

• June 3, 2010 at 7:26 amKaminakun

CR is taking over the world! RUN for your lives!!

• June 3, 2010 at 7:39 amteutates

Well when crunchyroll has the right to stream al their anime to entire europe i will support them.

I really wont pay money to have a chance to watch it legally >_<

but when its in the entire europe i wil support them :)
    I already am supporting the anime industrie a little.
    i buy manga+anime+figures at conventions :P

• June 3, 2010 at 10:12 amSomeKindaNick

To be honest, I kinda feel like I shouldn’t feel bad for downloading fansubs.
    I mean, if japan would really want thier money they would be the ones who will voluntirly stream all thier anime like what CR is doing themselves. (And Im not saying the studios don’t NEED the money, because they do, they just don’t take it upon themselves to stream them world-wide.)
    Basically, even though Im taking thier money, it’s kinda like they didn’t want my money anyway.
    So then, what CR is doing is in a way entirely like a donation to the anime industry. Which is nice. But then, why not just take a short-cut and pay the studios without a cause other than to tell them you appreciate thier work?
    Then again, these kinds of donnations do seem a bit werid when you realize that even in your very own country there a lot of industries that do great job at thier work but arn’t really successful, yet you almost never donnate for them for “liking thier work”…
    Such complicated relations do studios and outside-of-japan fans have…

So anyway, yeah, until the studios themselves take it upon themselves to stream thier works world-wide, I don’t think I’ll feel guilty for not paying.
    Than again, I don’t realy think CR even supports my region so Im pretty much screwed if I download…

• June 3, 2010 at 7:30 pmcaramel_cod

The idea that it’s basically a donation really makes sense. Besides, the anime industry isn’t suffering because of problems in America, but because of problems in Japan. Shonen Jump and other major companies like the extra $ coming in from the U.S. and Europe, but they know that their main source of revenue will always be Japan.

A small percent of multiple $5-per month subscriptions isn’t going to effect SJ in any way, I feel.

• June 3, 2010 at 10:13 amDanny_Repear

I support the anime industry legal streaming and I support fansubbing I love both, but the ones who judge us for watching illegally fansubbed anime should shut up because they know they watch it too still, I know that for a fact you STILL do to, By the way i buy ton’s of Dvd’s anime from Japan and Dubbed anime here in America, so think before you JUDGE *****, see if you can guess what I meant by putting * there, OH GOOD LUCK TO CRUNCHYROLL with Bleach!
    DB RULES!!

• June 3, 2010 at 10:14 amSomeKindaNick

I’d just like to note my last post only showed my personal opinion and Im not into preaching about downloading. To everyone his own idiology and beliefs~

• June 3, 2010 at 11:04 amGodknows

Not worldwide stream = Still the same old Crappyroll

• June 3, 2010 at 11:43 amFreya

hehehe HorribleSubs anyone?

• June 3, 2010 at 12:15 pmFreya

Actually I would/do buy dvds/blu rays and mangas and etc….but I will never support CR. They suck bad.

• June 3, 2010 at 1:02 pmoctoberasian

This is probably a repeat what’s said above, but my gripes with Crunchyroll as I was a past-subscriber:

- Subs are of lesser quality than established fansub groups.
    - Subs tend to be unnatural, misspelled, or have grammatical errors.
    - The free streaming episodes, though in 480p resolution look to be purposely so LOW quality you are pretty much forced to get a subscription to get the higher quality streams.
    - CrunchyRoll has a very shady past, especially when they turned their back on the anime fans and switching to subscription based service.
    - CrunchyRoll is not available in ALL countries due to stupid copyright issues. Youtube is a good example: Why must a Japanese trailer for a movie posted by the studio themselves be region-locked??? MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE AT ALL! I can’t even buy Japanese music on iTunes for godsakes unless I live in Japan or pay JList for an iTunes pre-paid card.
    - There are certain ISPs that charge per MB or GB and give no distinction between streaming or downloads.

• June 3, 2010 at 4:02 pmgarfield15

-That makes no sense. They’re official translations so how can they be of lesser quality? And what does lesser quality mean anyway? Is the font not bright enough? At least CR won’t drop a show.
      -That….is so rare. And you know that little “report video problem” button to the bottom-right? You’re supposed to click on that and tell them about the issues. Not complain about it somewhere else. How would that solve anything?
      -Well that is the point.
      -Everybody at this point acknowledges CR’s shady past. What matters is what they do right now.
      -The Copyright issue is not CR’s fault and you know that. You know that they wish they could stream it worldwide if they could. It’s not like they’re saying “Mwahaha, Germany can’t watch this show now. We’re so blocking them on purpose”
      -Okay, the ISP thing is the relative only complaint that seems worthwhile.

• June 3, 2010 at 10:15 pmSsenshiro

“That makes no sense. They’re official translations so how can they be of lesser quality?”

Official has never meant better in the fansub world. People will always strive to do their hobbies well, but most people don’t really care about doing their jobs well. Crunchyroll needs to be hiring these fansubbers who are good at what they do. Dattebayo wanted to be hired by CR, but everyone just disregarded them as trolls because the community over there is so pathetic.

• June 3, 2010 at 10:28 pmChris

octoberasian, the issue is that its Viz not Crunchyroll and they dont give a shit about sub quality because people will watch it anyway. Its all about the money.

• June 3, 2010 at 10:34 pmChris

Sorry, ment Ssenshiro.

• June 3, 2010 at 10:26 pmChris

I agree with octoberasian, i have never subscribed and will never subscribe because i have friends who have been nothing but dissappointed with the crunchyrolls Reich

• June 3, 2010 at 1:43 pmb0g3l

I can’t care less abt this show

• June 3, 2010 at 2:19 pmSteve

Wow, I wonder what is going to happen to Dattebayo.

I hate Cr, Dattebayo FTW

• June 3, 2010 at 5:28 pmReadbelowbuddy

And another serious blow has been dealt to fansubbing. I understand, and fully support the people responisble for creating the anime getting paid for their work. In light of that, Crunchyroll is a good idea in THEORY. I actually gave them the benefit of the doubt and paid for a subscription when they started releasing Naruto. After having watched both Crunchyroll and Dattebayo’s version, i can honestly say that Crunchyroll’s translation are an abomination compared to an established fansub. The way they americanize the dialogues just makes me sick. We aren’t all attending middleschool, listening to justin bieber’s latest smash hit. I almost poked out my eye when i saw ”kuso”(generally translated as ”shit”,”fuck” or more timid as ”damn” depending on the context) translated as ”gee willigers”, i mean seriously? Crunchyroll should take a long hard look at what made fansubbing popular in the first place, which was accurate translation, sticking close to the native language, not taking a few words and then phrase sentences using urbandictionary.com. I bought a lot of anime merchandise after watching fansubbed anime, considering the fact that anime hasn’t aired since dragonball z in my country, i’d say japan should give the fansubbing community a few thank you notes.

I’m not saying all fansubs are good, some are complete monstrousity’s, however a mediocre fansub will beat Crunchyroll subs anyday, imagine what an established fansub could do. And that’s saying a lot considering the fact that most fansubbers are just a group of forum browering teenagers living in their moms basement, as to where Crunchyroll is an actual company.

Now on-topic, Crunchyroll get your filthy money hungry hands off Bleach, wasn’t it enough that you ruined Naruto, must you now murder another top shounen? Now it’s Bleach, the rest of the fansubbing community will follow without a doubt, untill Crunchyroll has consumed all, and ruined anime for our generation. Fuck VIZ,Funimation, and especially 4Kids.

• June 3, 2010 at 6:20 pmamado

I think ive seen a few crunchy roll subs(not very familiar with subbers) but I can say that I dont like the way they sub.
    from what some guys said I agree, dattebayo is better.

• June 3, 2010 at 9:24 pmShiroyasha

don’t you guys realize that crunchyroll subs sucks so hard ? Even they skip some of the lines to make it worser.

I pity you guys who support CR. it means you want our show to have lesser sub-wise quality.

• June 4, 2010 at 5:58 amgarfield15

Well, you’re wrong and can probably only give me the faintest of examples, but sure. Keep believing those lies.

• June 4, 2010 at 7:44 amFarquas III

Unless the sub projects immaculate quality directly into your brain while injecting a steady stream of ecstasy into your ass I seriously doubt they’re anything special. They won’t be better than Dattebayo’s subs were, so I’m definitely not paying for them.

• June 4, 2010 at 2:40 pmRauth

Lol seriously. Crunchyroll should really offer more perks if they want people to pay.

• June 4, 2010 at 2:52 amS-R

And so…that’s exactly what the industry is competing against. Some people are so adamant to dislike and hate any change. :P
    For but a few pounds/dollars a month, can at least start to move towards legal anime viewing. For years we have all gotten so much for absolutely nothing, so I personally don’t mind paying a little.
    Though I do understand people’s gripe with CR at times. The subs don’t bother me, but streaming can be a pain at times.
    When i had a lesser broadband service I found that I would leave it to stream for a bit and it would only prepare about 2 minutes before it caught up to my slow internet, no matter how long I left it. So I had to watch things in 2 minutes bursts with a few minutes break in between. Though rarely had that problem on the lowest quality setting. And again, I didn’t mind all that much as for barely any cost, I was able to legally view it. It was better than nothing whatsoever.
    I don’t feel it necessary to get irrate or worked up in either direction of the argument, but I am a little bored of the intense animosity towards CR just because it doesn’t meet particular individuals pre-determined sense of style, quality, taste or whatever.

• June 4, 2010 at 4:44 amhellknight

WARNING CR(crunchyroll) and japan greedy pig you want to be another example of ODEX(singapore) wipeout clean and sweet by his own people all his people didn’t buy all his product at all.

goddamit i will stop support japan anime product effective way

PLEASE all STOP BUY THEIR ANIME PRODUCT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE This IS THE ONLY CURB GREEDY PIG COMPANY PLEASE all DON’T BUY THEIR ANIME PRODUCT PLEASE

• June 4, 2010 at 4:57 amhellknight

PLEASE STOP BUY JAPAN ANIME PRODUCT AND AMERICAN SO ON!!!!!

PLEASE STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCT!!!!

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO KILL GREEDY PIG COMPANY(gREEDY PIG BASTARD FAGGOT)

PLEASE ALL STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCT!!!

CR NEXT TARGET IS ONE PIECE ALREADY CONFIRM!!!( THEY GOING TO AIM BIGGEST TITLE ANIME)

PLEASE STOP BUYING THEIR ANIME PRODUCT THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THEY USED LAW AGAINST ALL OF US ESPECIALLY AMERICAL FAGGOT GREEDY BASTARD PIG BOAR COW.

• June 4, 2010 at 4:59 amhellknight

whAT bring to crisis to their anime industry because they too GREEDY!!!!

PLEASE STOP BUY JAPAN ANIME PRODUCT AND AMERICAN SO ON!!!!!

PLEASE STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCT!!!!

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO KILL GREEDY PIG COMPANY(gREEDY PIG BASTARD FAGGOT)

PLEASE ALL STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCT!!!

• June 4, 2010 at 6:57 amTomer

hellknight you need to calm down a little.

Of course their greedy, why shouldn’t they be? Their producing a product and they deserve to get paid for it. Whether thats through advertisements, merchandise or through mediums such as CrunchyRoll that is completely up to them.

Not that I’m completely pro-crunchy (like others have said I’ve had issues with their subs) but in principle at least I see nothing wrong with what their doing. In fact, if the quality was upped some and the titles available increased I think this could be a great way to create a successful (and profitable) anime market in the west.

• June 4, 2010 at 7:13 amRegal

It doesn’t really feel like they’re “producing” what they’re selling. They’re doing what most sites do for free and charging for it. If you read the link below you’ll see that they were fine with hosting things illegally AND charging people for it until Anime companies got mad at them. These same companies rarely take issue with other subbing sites, they just don’t like it when people are profiting off of their product.

• June 4, 2010 at 8:05 amTomer

Sorry maybe I should have been clearer; I was referring to the anime producers rather than Crunchyroll in this sentence: “Of course their greedy, why shouldn’t they be? Their producing a product and they deserve to get paid for it. Whether thats through advertisements, merchandise or through mediums such as Crunchyroll that is completely up to them.”

By the sound of things what Crunchyroll did wasn’t exacly ethical so its a shame that they were the ones to get this deal, but what their doing now and what they did back then is fundamentally very different. Whereas before they were simply stealing content from both the anime producers and the fansub groups, now they create their own subs and provide a service for people to watch the shows they like legally. In that sense they are producers now and they have the right to charge for their services, even if what they do is something many others do for free.

Who knows, if this works out (and it certainly looks like it will) key players in the anime industry may realise that it is in their favour to start broadcasting their shows in western countries on the same day (or soon after) it is shown in Japan. Or conversely, western broadcasters may notice the market for same-day-anime (thats the best name I could come up with) is large enough and lucrative enough that they will begin working with the eastern industries to make something similar happen. The key thing for me is that, regardless of their past, Crunchyroll have found common ground between the western anime fans and the anime broadcasters in a way that both sides benefit.

… Or they would do if their subs were better :P

• June 4, 2010 at 7:05 amTomer

Oh and as a side note I for one am rooting for a similar solution for manga. There are so many titles I would buy in an instance if they were available in English. I don’t what licensing issues there are but if anime can be broadcast online legally for English viewers then maybe there is hope for some official scanlation group? I’m sure most people won’t mind paying for a subscription if it means they can get consistent scanlations.

• June 4, 2010 at 7:08 amRegal

lol Crunchyroll. Do they really expect people to forget how they started out by stealing subs from other groups and charging people for them? I agree with those who believe that Crunchyroll is motivated solely by their own greed.

The ONLY reason why they give a share of the profits to anime companies is because Bandai and Funimation got pissed that they were charging for stuff they didn’t own to begin with.

Crunchyroll are crooks. Subscribing to them won’t help the industry in any significant way, but it will allow them to continue to profit off of what isn’t theirs and should be free.

• June 4, 2010 at 7:41 amFarquas III

I think people are overlooking the fact that the vast majority of these shows air for free on Japanese television. They get it for free, but have to pay if they want DvDs and collectibles. We don’t get up-to-date episodes on TV, so we get them for free and subbed online.

The point I’m making is that putting RAWs online and downloading them is wrong, but only in Japan because they already get them for free. Here we’re being asked to pay for official subs, which should be made available for free like what Toei did with OnePiece. Besides, you can still find Naruto episodes subbed for free online on the same day that they air in Japan and on Crunchyroll, so what’s the point?

• June 4, 2010 at 8:05 amTomer

The first thing you should remember is that it IS free, or at least it is for poor quality and a week after it is shown. For most of us thats probably too late too little but you shouldn’t simply ignore the possibility.

Also, the service their providing is different. They give us on-demand content whereas on TV it is shown on certain times in they. Sky+ is similar in that respect since you can watch the content you want when you want it – but you have to pay for the privilege.

I don’t know if the channels that originally broadcast these anime shows have a service similar to BBC iPlayer or 4OD, like we have here in the UK, which offer free on-demand content (although 4OD has adverts) which would negate the point I made above but I still think if they wanted to they have the right to charge for the services they supply.

• June 4, 2010 at 7:55 amTomer

@Regal

… Or they would do if their subs were better :P

• June 4, 2010 at 8:02 amTomer

@Farquas III

…But again I don’t use Crunchyroll so I don’t know why I’m defending them so strongly :P

• June 4, 2010 at 8:06 amTomer

Sorry for the double posts I forgot to use the reply buttons so I posted them again.

• June 4, 2010 at 8:19 aminnerchihiro

Totally random, but anyone think Ichigo’s hair is ridiculously long here??

• June 4, 2010 at 10:12 amRokugen-

If you can speak Japanese fluently, you will understand how horrible Crunchyroll subs are.
    you guys who use (buy) crunchyroll service, are being fooled to begin with.

• June 4, 2010 at 10:17 amLaurie

My fiance subscribes to Crunchyroll for his Naruto fix already and he loves Bleach, so this was good news for him. I’ve been reading some of the comments on this thread and mentioned to him how frequently people complained about CR’s subtitling. I asked him his thoughts on that, and he mentioned he had no problem with the subtitles. As far as he’s concerned, they’re quite good and get the job done.

Sure, CR did initially steal what they offered on their site, but it really looks like they’ve turned around, and I’m very thankful for a reasonably priced means of watching anime. I remember when it was hard to get even fansubs, then when fansubs were all we had for some titles. I’m 100% behind CR – what they offer is awesome, and I’m glad they were able to get Bleach.

• June 4, 2010 at 1:40 pmGiant

This kind of sucks for me I liked Dattebayo subs, Crunchyroll does such a half ass job when they sub their episodes that it’s sad.

Well have to give a thanks to Dattebayo for bringing us the Bleach episodes day after day for the last couple of years.

• June 4, 2010 at 2:38 pmRauth

At least they’ll never get their hands on One Piece or anything else Funimation owns. I don’t know why dattebayo is stopping after Crunchyroll threw them under the bus when they wanted to work with them on Naruto, but it’s their choice.

Anyway, Crunchyroll and the anime industry in general is going to have a serious bitch of a time getting people to pay for something that’s free. And as other people have said I don’t think fansubbing really effects the industry in any significant way, most of their business is in Japan.

• June 4, 2010 at 6:17 pmhellknight

LOL Crunchyroll subscribes people all is idoit stupid a fool to them.

their subbed is the most worst fuk up subbed ever seen Please see the subbed first don’t be stupid pay for fuk up subbed even skip alot of lines no opening and ending sub mostly is fuk up

I WILL STOP BUY ANIME PRODUCT FROM JAPAN EFFECTIVE WAY TO STOP GREEDY BASTARD PIG PEOPLE especially americal(U.S) GREEDY PIG western people i really don’t want to say this 5 year i seen they LOVE to USE LAW and underhand means to wipeout get money alot rip off from japan pretty stupid.

americal most fuk up people always fuk up people almost like a story.

like royalty look above to make all thing theirs from japan audio make to dubbed shit(americal style).

please stop buying their product thank you this will at least tell japan producer anime people if want to make whole their enemy THINK TWICE BEFORE MAKE DECISION

• June 4, 2010 at 6:23 pmhellknight

LASTLY if you are western people like U.S please go to hell YOU fuking RICH by ripping off the east country don’t be proud.

already spread through all internet stop buying their product.

Greedy pig WEST english native people funimation , crunchyroll so on………………..

please say other comment of this fuk up thing

i tell you ALREADY always cons more than pros!!!!

• June 6, 2010 at 12:00 amTavor TAR-21

English is obviously not your first language. Where are you from?

Stop making greed out to be a bad thing. A lot of good things have come about because of the profit motive. You sound like a whiny graduate student working on his Ph.D in Critical Gender Studies and then whining that society is so evil because nobody will hire him.

• June 4, 2010 at 8:00 pmKiraIsLight11

The problem with Crunchyroll is they get the worst anime i.e. harem, fan service, moe etc.
    I’ve watched about a dozen shows last year and only 2 were available for streaming on Crunchyroll.

• June 5, 2010 at 11:13 amRyoko

I like to download mine, having a copy prob goes against it being legitimate or not, but the quality of the downloads are significantly better than those that are streamed on websites like crunchyroll…..And you have to wait while it loads, whilst downloading, you leave it to do its thing and don’t wait while running it in a media player!

• June 6, 2010 at 2:43 amPasserBy

I think this should be good for the anime industry as it gives a little more income to the industry. I wish they’d give some episodes you could download for a moment and lock up as soon as time elapsed (kind of like a rental or how software locks after trial) and a download to own kinda deal (kinda like buying a video only subbed). I mean, I would prefer not to constantly consume bandwidth so I could watch a show. Maybe a video subscription program ala-Netflix.
    Still, DB rules! I hope they’re involved in the subbing as they do really great work and have great love for the series they sub.

• September 28, 2010 at 11:55 pmblah…

i have NO FUCKING JOB. my fucking parents DO NOT PROVIDE ME WITH MONEY. HOW THE FUCK CAN I GET ANIME WITHOUT PIRACY?!

• October 21, 2010 at 12:14 pmLoan Beshore

He is so awesome. I enjoy his songs a lot!