HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD – 02 »

HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD – 01

OP Sequence

HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   OP   01 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   OP   02 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   OP   03
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   OP   04 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   OP   05 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   OP   06

OP: 「HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD」 by 岸田教団&THE明星ロケッツ (Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets)
Watch the OP!: Download, Streaming ▼

HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   01 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   02 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   03
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   04 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   05 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   06
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   07 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   08 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   09
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   10 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   11 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   12
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   13 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   14 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   15
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   16 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   17 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   18
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   19 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   20 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   21
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   22 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   23 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   24
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   25 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   26 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   27
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   28 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   29 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   30
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   31 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   32 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   33
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   34 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   35 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   36
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   37 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   38 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   39
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   40 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   41 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   42

「Spring of the DEAD」

After several hiatuses on the manga, an oddly surprising adaptation appeared out of nowhere for HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD, and today, here we are. The episode starts off with a cold start with a stern narration done by Takashi (Suwabe Junichi), the protagonist of the show. “They” flash by with a direction of cinematography that soon grows familiar to those well versed in horror flicks. The scene quickly pans to Komuro Takashi, Miyamoto Rei (Inoue Marina), and Igo Hisashi (Miyano Mamoru), as they run towards “them”, smashing “them” left and right to get to their destination. As Takashi reaches the stairs, he looks back at the rooftop filled with “them”, and screams questioning why this was happening as the camera fiercely pans out. Show “them”. Cut to OP. Suffice to say, my mind is blown. Most of the supporting characters were also introduced in this episode, such as Takagi Saya, a close classroom friend of Takashi’s, played by Kitamura Eri. The wonderful Busujima Saeko was also shown for a couple seconds, but she doesn’t have any lines in the first chapter. This kind of sucked for me as she’s played by Sawashiro Miyuki, a seiyuu favorite of mine (and I don’t even have that many). As far as my ears can tell of “quality japanese voice acting”, these seiyuu pull off the screams and panic required in the show spotlessly. Hisashi’s agonizing screams as he took his last few breaths had my gut twisted right along with Takashi.

As for the Opening and Ending songs, I’ve never found myself liking most anime OP’s or ED’s, but HOTD’s OP wasn’t one of the worst I’ve heard (remember Death Note’s second OP?). The electric guitar in the background fit the adrenaline pumping show, and the OP itself was entertaining. The ED had the same effect for me, as it was just your typical anime songs that you’d find in any action anime. ED animation was pretty disappointing to say the least as there’s lots of good animations they could’ve done as an ED. But honestly, don’t take my word for it as my failure to understand the lyrics just makes any song without a good melody seem bland to me. However, the background music must be mentioned though, as one of the main background songs has a chorus that sounds suspiciously like 28 Days Later’s “In A Heartbeat”. It’s so familiar that I swear it must be a homage to the movie. This is definitely not a bad thing, as I loved that movie and that theme. With a badass movie already attached to the song in my mind, it just makes the scenes with that BGM appear that much more awesome. Take for example Hisashi’s death scene. That particular song played in the background, and right away I noticed the similarity. The epic levels just flew into space. If you haven’t seen the movie, check it out (and it’s sequel). It’s well worth your time if you love zombies.

For those that are unaware, HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD is animated by Madhouse Studios. For those who aren’t familiar with the studio, they’ve animated many popular anime, such as Death Note, Kaiji, Monster, and the recent RAINBOW. Madhouse is well known for taking up projects with serious matter, as well as having an animation style that’s bold and atmospheric. HOTD is pretty much typical fare for Madhouse as it’s pretty much right in the ballpark with their skills. While the show’s characters are rather 2D and stay true to the anime medium, the backgrounds in HOTD are incredibly dynamic. These aren’t your typical static backgrounds that you see in average budget anime, as they are not only drawn well, but constantly being rotated and zoomed around to create the illusion that the buildings are 3D and well existing within the world. This is obviously a good thing for creating an immersive experience as a zombie apocalypse’s main attracting value is feeling as if you’re struggling for survival along with the viewers. With the clever and dynamic cinematography, brilliantly created atmosphere, and some of the best looking blood animations I’ve ever seen, everything comes together to make HOTD one of the most beautifully animated series this year. The fight scene somewhere in the middle alone left me on the edge of my seat, but hey, I’d expect nothing less from Madhouse. What made me smile was the fact that even all the zombies in the background were constantly moving and rocking about, which really gives that extra bit of despair the characters are feeling of that of being surrounded by hundreds of zombies. On the ecchi side, something which is also a unique factor to HOTD (sexuality and horror somehow seems to work well with each other, as it gives a nice dynamic to the horror aspect), Madhouse did pretty well, even going so far as to add more scenes showing Rei’s pantsu in as many scenes possible. They also made sure you noticed her trampoline jugs, and especially how bouncy they are. Well Madhouse, I noticed. While many people were concerned about censoring, there actually isn’t any done by the broadcaster, but the gore is toned down from the manga by Madhouse themselves. I’m not sure if the manga ever showed any half blown heads, but most of the scenes in the anime didn’t have the aftereffects of the attacks laid out by the characters. Perhaps that’s just for dramatic effect, I don’t know, but I’m fine with it since the blood spatters are so beautiful.

With all that said and done, the first episode is not without problems. The main issue I had was that they skipped a bunch of dialogue between the characters, most of which took place on the roof at the beginning. There’s also a bunch of scenes that went along with those dialogues, such as additional deaths they had perceived from the rooftop. Originally, there was dialogue about saving water, starting up the generator, and even a suicide right in front of the characters (although the suicide was shown, it wasn’t in front of the characters, which makes no sense to me why they would change that). These things were completely left out, and subsequently the characters had far less variety to react against except screaming their asses off at zombies. Where the show boasted with visual immersion, it sort of lacked with character immersion. As a result, the first episode feels like you ate a bag of potato chips rather than a full course meal. These skipped scenes obviously had value to the story itself and its characters, and that kind of downtime between characters was lost. I suppose they had to keep the cold start short in order to cut to the OP, but they could’ve just skipped the OP altogether. Considering how long each manga chapter is, and with content that could last even two 24 episode seasons, it should’ve been fine to not skip anything. There’s not even any hope to seeing it next episode as well, since that scene is already over. I mean, for you manga readers out there, don’t you feel Hisashi’s death felt just a tad bit weaker because of the smaller amount of interaction between the characters? Then again, it was still incredibly powerful, especially with the decision to put the aftermath after the ED song. The seiyuu really pulled their weight here, so they should be given a medal for making such a moving scene. Adaptations always differ, and in the end, none of these changes might matter. I’m just a tad disappointed at the lesser experience, but nontheless I’m going to be blogging this till the end as it was still 90% a faithful adaptation. Honestly, there’s really nothing like HOTD in the anime universe, which makes me all the more appreciative.

So here’s the tl;dr folks. If you like zombies (who doesn’t?), breasts (like I said..), occasional pantsu (that’s an understatement btw), and people getting eaten, you will like this (which is like, 110% of males). If there’s any show amidst the blazing summer to see, it’s this one. Grab a drink, turn on the fan. Just don’t puke when guts start flying at you.

**What’s interesting to note is that Tetsurou Araki is the Director for this series, who was responsible for also directing the Death Note series. Even more interesting is Kuroda Yousuke being responsible for screenplay, script, and the entire series composition, and has been known for his work on Honey and Clover as well as Hellsing Ultimate.

ED Sequence

HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   ED   01 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   ED   02 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   ED   03

ED: 「君と太陽が死んだ日」 (Kimi to Taiyou ga Shinda Hi) by 黒崎真音 (Kurosaki Maon)
Watch the ED!: Download, Streaming ▼

HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   Preview 01 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   Preview 02 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD   01   Preview 03
July 5, 2010 at 5:24 am
  • July 5, 2010 at 10:00 pmAnimeniac

wow… L4D anime :D gore rules yeh!

• July 6, 2010 at 5:22 pmEspada

Highschool of the Dead – September 2006
      Left 4 Dead – November 13, 2008

• July 21, 2010 at 2:50 pmDa5id

Probably a bit late to say this, but I’m pretty sure he was joking.

• July 5, 2010 at 10:48 pmPhosphatide

Just recently purchased Left 4 Dead 2, and now this has finally started.

Best summer ever. All I need to do is rewatch Zombieland and I’m good.

• July 5, 2010 at 11:37 pmRin-Chan

Loved the first episode. I could not keep my eyes of the screen for a second. What irritates me though is how hard some people here are criticizing the anime on its 1st episode. I havn’t read the managa but for someone whos had no prior expeirence with this anime, I loved every minute of it. How can people be complaing about the fan service when animes like KissXSiss pushed the boundries yet everyone loved it. Yes, I know its a horror anime but its not like any of the quick glimps of fan service in this episode really took away from anything on the episode. The complaints about the gore are ridiclous though. ITS A HORROR ZOMBIE SURVIVAL ANIME! Its not like their going to bleed out rainbows and butterflies. I felt the gore and blood was just the right amount to make an impact on how the horrible being in their situtation is. If your faint of heart with this stuff then just don’t watch it. Oh, and KIIRAGI, I have no idea what the guy was complaining about the screenshots you took for the main page, their not gorey at all.

PS: I hope this doesn’t seem like a rant or anything, I just felt it had to be said. This is my 1st comment on RC and I love the blog, and I admire your guys effort (Especially you Divine) Keep on the blogging :D… Btw..How the hell do you use Gravatar? :/ Does the URL go into website or mail? >_<

• July 5, 2010 at 11:50 pmchingoo

After meeting Eri Kitamura at AX, it was cool hearing her voice again. (Yui T__T)
    I feel proud that I recognized Inoue and Miyano’s voices.

Whenever I watch Zombie related things like this, I always get the jitters about it happening in real life.

• July 6, 2010 at 1:06 amunlisted

You too!? My brother and I screw around with each other thinking up scenarios like this and always end up scaring ourselves. LOL

This episode was one big wtf moment. Because of what I just stated above and because I like games like Dead Rising. Really scares the shit out of me.

This one is looking like a winner.

• July 5, 2010 at 11:57 pmRin-chan

Nevermind about the Gravatar comments heheh. >_> Figured it out..I think…

• July 6, 2010 at 12:11 amDivine

Just to make extra sure you figured it out, it’s tied to your e-mail address (which isn’t published or shared with anyone), so you don’t need to put the Gravatar link in the URL field.

• July 6, 2010 at 12:24 amOblivionsdawn

Awesome, I was really looking forward to this after reading the manga a little while ago. Having actual voices and music to it give the scenes more of a dramatic boost, I really liked how Miyano Mamoru voiced Hisashi.

I’m glad alot of other people also noticed the similarity between the bgm they used and the theme from 28 days later. Since the manga had alot of references to other zombie media I’m sure it won’t be the last time they do something like this.

Looking forward to the next episode and a new chapter of the manga on july 9th. I’m completely in the survival horror/zombie mood now. Maybe I’ll break out L4D or Dead Rising.

• July 6, 2010 at 3:16 amahelo

kyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    that was so awesome it was a crime.

seriously its been a long time since weve had this level of animation before. It was just soo.. KYAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I LOVE THE BLOOD GUSHING, the panties, the…. SHIT THIS IS SO AWESOME.

i am now turned into a fanboi in 1 episode

• July 6, 2010 at 3:18 amZombieland

I go for the zombieland rules to survive

1. “Cardio”
    2. “Double tap/Ziploc bags (Deleted Scene)”
    3. “Beware of bathrooms”
    4. “Wear seatbelts”
    6. “Cast iron skillet”
    7. “Travel light”
    8. “Get a kickass partner”
    12. “Bounty paper towels”
    15. “Bowling Ball”
    17. “(Don’t) be a hero”
    18. “Limber up”
    21. “Avoid strip clubs”
    22. “When in doubt, know your way out”
    29. “The buddy system”
    31. “Check the back seat”
    32. “Enjoy the little things”
    33. “Swiss army knife”

• July 6, 2010 at 3:20 amsilvfer

this is pure madness, i really enjoy watching the first ep
    i really felt like this was a anime resident evil hehe..

• July 6, 2010 at 4:19 amKakashi_Crusade

only one thing i can say after watching this episode:

“epic win”

Miyano Mamoru with setsuna voice screaming in pain: awesome
    Inoue Maria with chiri voice in psychotic mode: awesome

Animation quality + gore = holy sh*t it’s fu*kin epic!!!!

• July 6, 2010 at 5:39 amertad

“they are not only drawn well, but constantly being rotated and zoomed around to create the illusion that the buildings are 3D and well existing within the world.”

That’s because they are 3D. CG, you know.

• July 6, 2010 at 12:42 pmKiiragi

Yeah, I know. It’s just that they’ve gotten really good at making the CG seem well, not CG, so you don’t get complaints from people like, “omg that cg looks terrible” a la Ga-rei Zero (and even then I thought it was fine).

• July 6, 2010 at 5:45 amVovow

Hmmm… Theres not much gore in all honesty, a little blood splatter here an there and some blood stained corpses, maybe its just me? Can’t really tell if they want the “bite wounds” to be realistic or non-realistic (one bite and we get a fountain of blood). But moving on I wonder whats more horrifying the zombies or the human survival instinct.

• July 6, 2010 at 6:09 amTenkou

Wow, I kind of like the animation. Though I didnt notice that there was much important plots lacking when I was watching haha. Looks like its time to pick up on the manga! Looking forward to more zombie-mowing action! I dont really see the link between the ecchi and zombies. But oh well, its always interesting to explore new combination of genres hehe.

• July 6, 2010 at 6:39 amAshen

Let the guts flying, blood-curdling screams, and Gainaxing begin!!

• July 6, 2010 at 7:06 amzidane2006headbutt

resident evil, left 4 dead, night of the living goron

• July 6, 2010 at 7:08 amSilivious

@ Vovow
    Oh, just wait and see. :P Both are quite horrifying.

• July 6, 2010 at 8:26 amCZ

Good episode damn I wish Hisashi was alive I can’t wait to hear Saeko voice I thought the voice for Saeko would be Nazuka Kaori who did Shizuku in Kampfer.

• July 6, 2010 at 9:06 amPlants-VS-Zombies

read the manga then watch the anime! so you won’t miss much!

• July 6, 2010 at 10:01 amWalker Texas Ranger

Man, just the other day I was complaining to myself about the lack of anime out right now that I would enjoy watching, and then boom, I see this. O M G, great episode lol, I was laughing the entire time at this awesome take on the zombie apocalypse.
    btw, is the main male voiced by the same VA as Setsuna from 00?

• July 6, 2010 at 10:22 amtakashi

the one who died near the end of d episode, Hisashi, was the character voiced by Miyano Mamoru, Setsuna’s VA. =)

• July 6, 2010 at 1:10 pmmstrchef117

Well, I really liked this episode and the 28 Days Later theme used in the episode.

It really didn’t surprise me that that girl would kick her “bff” in the face, I kinda saw it coming as this is an anime with apocolyptic tones (so you have to show the dark side of human nature/self-preservation).

I was more surprised to hear that in that manga, that the unnamed girl did not let go of her friend (and tried to help her) eventually becoming a zombie. I’ll probably read the manga after I finish the series.

• July 6, 2010 at 1:18 pmDawn

Nice ep.

Yeah it’s too bad Kiiragi, Sawashiro has to wait until next episode. I’m a fan too, of her diverse and yet unique VA roles, she’s got quite a fantastic range. She also VAs in a few of my favorite PS2 games (Ar tonelico 2, Odin Sphere, Persona 3). :]

• July 6, 2010 at 1:55 pmGiggles

• July 6, 2010 at 2:00 pmChaos

there are moments when it seems that this is a bit of a tease. once they get to the first safe place then the fan service goes wild.

• July 6, 2010 at 5:40 pmBlacks

“In The House – In A Heartbeat” at the end was a great touch.

• July 6, 2010 at 6:08 pmAnonymous

Ah, an anime where girls get brutally slaughtered at the same time they’re being exploited for fanservice. This is guro, and those who like it are guro fetishists. Know that about yourself. Good day.

• July 6, 2010 at 6:19 pmdamian

I think this show would’ve done just fine without the excessive ecchi. Its got great atmosphere, decent starting plot and excellent visuals. What more do you need?! Oh yeah, pantsu. -_-

Its the type of anime i would love to show my girlfriend since shes always trying to figure out why i like anime so much, but the insane amounts of panty shots would just make her roll her eyes and think I like anime for the wrong reasons…

Shame really.

• July 6, 2010 at 7:25 pmLeon ni

EPIC!!! EPIC!!! the only word to describe it: EPIC!!!
    WOW, this series opened with everything I wanted it to have. This epic feeling that I have been searching for, is finally here!!!!!! Sweet, the motion of the camera as Takashi smashed his friends’ head was awesome, and the way he wooed his lover, perfect. YEAAAA ! Epic start, epic

• July 6, 2010 at 7:28 pmStigma0080

Yea to me ecchi and horror dont mix.Cuz i cant take the material seriously. HOTD made me laugh at the sheer stupidity of it all. I already know whats gonna happen without reading the manga, it only has few options. I wish there was a horror manga/movie/anime where the characters weren’t dumb asses. Dude its funny how knowledge of zombies dont exist inside of most zombie stories.Cuz everyone knows to go for the head, everything else is a waste of time. I could never understand why a zombie bite turns you to a zombie.If it was some type of new virus or sumtin i can see that, but just zombies that raise from the dead for no reason.

Usually i don’t want characters to die until a few episodes in but the main girl needs to die,I wont bother learning her name. I laughed so much watching this cuz of the random zombie killings. Seriously zombies are smart the have sneaking skills and know how to hide , work as teams. Why do zombies eat people aint like the flesh does anything for them, they are dead. And how long can a Zombie survive cuz they are rapidly deteriorating they shouldn’t be able to move after awhile.

• July 6, 2010 at 7:53 pmMAS

I loved how Takashi looked at Rei when she said he must’ve hated Hisashi because they were dating. Nice ED song too. Overall great potential, to be honest. I haven’t been this excited about an anime for some time now.

By the way, nice job Kiiragi – you have a keen eye and ear as well as a clear and pleasant writing style. First time I’ve read something written by your hand and I already hope you keep following HOTD.

• July 6, 2010 at 8:00 pmKiiragi

Thanks a lot, I’m always looking for constructive criticism on my writing. :D

• July 6, 2010 at 9:17 pmamado

im annoyed by the main characters personality, he wouldve been a bit better if he was emotionally detached at the girl who dumped him.

• July 6, 2010 at 9:26 pmIslidox

So far, everything looks dandy (animation quality, soundtrack, character interaction, and seiyu talent) for the much anticipated HSotD. The only thing I worry about is the development of the characters and how the series ends since 1, the manga isn’t finished, and 2, I’ve never seen a good ending for a zombie movie/media with the exception of Zombieland. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for a long 24+ episode season.

One last thing to note. Regarding the large amount of ecchi in the series, the ecchi serves not just as fanservice but as a venue for normality in a world that has been warped beyond imagination. It also serves as a balancing point for the seriousness of the series. Even the movie Dawn of the Dead (2004) had scenes of raunchy activity. At least we’re not being flashed boobies or panties every other second because that would be unwatchable.

• July 6, 2010 at 9:42 pmShinjiro

Very true. I’ve just caught up with the manga and the fanservice is pretty tame. It’s not as bad as some other series. Sure there are some scenes that are pretty sexually twisted but they’re done to complement the story (You will understand when you get to watch them). All in all, I found the characters to be interesting and knowing it’s possibly going to be a two-cour series, I’m expecting a lot from this one.

• July 6, 2010 at 9:49 pmJustin2010

they need some weapon to kill those goddam zombis. some ak-47.RPG,rocket launcher…… to atomic bomb. plz tell me its a 24 ep instead 13. i’m really looking forward for this.

• July 6, 2010 at 10:02 pmKiiragi

Don’t worry, they’ll be getting some serious artillery soon.

• July 11, 2010 at 10:03 pmIncognito

And the gun porn fans are sure to rejoice. Besides the zombies and the different blends of fanservice, I’m also watching this for the guns. I can’t wait to see Kohta Hirano (not to be confused with the Hellsing creator, though it is a shout out) in action.

(I’m also reading Cracked.com’s zombie-related articles as I post this.)

Wow, if Madhouse was able to do this much with HSOTD, how much more when their adaptation of Iron Man rolls around?

Yeah, after watching episode 1 a while ago I’m hooked on this now. *thumbs up* And you can bet your minerals that I’m gonna enjoy the application of zombie apocalypse tropes to this animated adaptation.

• July 7, 2010 at 1:53 amUnknownVoice

Guyyyys~

Uncensored version airing on friday~

Version we saw:

Uncensored one:

• July 7, 2010 at 2:18 amamado

wheres the diff?

• July 7, 2010 at 2:44 amArrancar01

The uncensored one shows the teacher’s suicide fall without the fade out, including the “splat”.

• July 7, 2010 at 5:37 amShinjiro

Wow! Is the uncensored eps subbed?

• July 7, 2010 at 1:01 pmphilip

Eri Kitamura <3

• July 7, 2010 at 5:11 pmlHyDrAl

Wow how far is the popularity of this show going to go? Are we looking at the new haruhi of 2006 and the new code geass of 2007? Can’t wait to see how much more popularity this show gains.

• July 7, 2010 at 11:34 pmBROOKLYN otaku

MUST…………………………….eat………………………………….BRAINS!!!!

• July 7, 2010 at 11:36 pmBROOKLYN otaku

ahahahahah!! or HOW BOUT THIS ONE,all the Night of the living dead PURISTS…. remember this?
    “your BRAINS!!! they smell sooooooo SPICY!!!!”

• July 8, 2010 at 8:41 amiTheShirt

The hype reminds me of when Modern Warfare 2 came out. O_o” *is the 89th percentile of male viewers watching this show* >>”

• July 8, 2010 at 10:14 ammundox

Pantsu+epic boobs+zombies+28 days later music (or sound alike) = best anime of this season

• July 8, 2010 at 11:26 amGBolt

Yeah, as you said… Who doesn’t like those? (Although the breasts are a bit too jiggly for me…) What I was surprised of is… This was the censored version? LOL!

• July 9, 2010 at 10:55 pmGuardian

Wow, what an awesome first episode O_O Not as epic as FMA:B but I think I’ll be following it as devotedly.

The fanservice was gratuitous but I’ve never minded that in an anime and those who do need to remember what they’re watching. Bitching about fanservice in anime is like bitching about how they have funny hair colors and their eyes aren’t proportional to their mouths (or any other part of their faces). Jigglying anime boobs and cartoon panties being shoved in our faces are certainly not new phenomenon in this artform. For that matter, bitching about bloody violence in a ZOMBIE STORY? Shambling corpses trying to commit cannibalism isn’t exactly the prettiest sight (though Madhouse does animate it beautifully).

Rei was kinda annoying and useless this episode, but I hope she makes up for it in later episodes (and doesn’t turn into another yandere like the psycho from 11Eyes). The rest of the female cast seems much more capable of handling themselves in a zombie apocalypse, and while the ‘pinky promise’ that Rei and Takashi made seem to all but guarantee she’ll be the main love interest, I personally would like to see him wind up with the nerdy pink=haired hottie :D

As for whether this is guro or not … I kinda wondered that myself when they showed the girl’s pantied crotch and lower half writhing on the floor as her upper half was (off-screen) being eaten by zombies. If I had to guess though, that’s just another way of letting the horror of the situation hit home, if you find yourself becoming turned on by the fanservice despite her death-screams. For that matter sex has always been as much a part of horror as it has been part of anime … Norman Bates didn’t kill that girl on the street, he killed her in the shower, where the audience could be titilated as well as horrified.

Forgive my long-windedness, it’s been quite the day.

• July 9, 2010 at 11:48 pmHm

196 comments, wow
    HOSD is just the right series for this year’s hot hot summer

• July 10, 2010 at 12:03 amkookaa

love it

• July 10, 2010 at 3:41 amRyoko

Gonna give this a go too, see how it is, wonder if it being cut down from the manga be a downer to it! See how it is shall we?!

• July 10, 2010 at 4:19 amRyoko

Pretty impressive intro episode, emotion and gore fest galore! Not seen an anime like this ever, should be interesting how interesting they go around to surviving, wonder if it will get or conspiracy and stuff later on?

• July 11, 2010 at 6:26 amCoolbeans

Best series this season ;D

• July 12, 2010 at 7:27 amichigoat

i’m left feeling hungry after the first ep.

“there’s a zombie on your lawn…..”

haha, they also used the 28 days later bgm just like ‘Kick Ass’

• July 12, 2010 at 12:14 pmAdieu

Was ep02 a letdown in terms of violence, tempo, boobies, AND pantsu? Or did I just not get enough sleep and got pissed off by being stuck w/ the sucky censored version??

• July 13, 2010 at 11:02 pmUE

I was going to post something decent here for discussion but I think I lost some brain cells with the 110% part :P
    -eats a shoe-

• July 15, 2010 at 5:16 pmDavid Herbert

WOW………I can’t believe I’m watching this. I saw the friend’s death coming a mile away.Takashi for the rebound. Anyway, I’m going to keep watching this. This peeked my interest.

• July 24, 2010 at 11:05 pmgeneral_tiu@yahoo.com

Wow. I like this anime…

And it seems that the Director of HOTD [same as Death Note] had chosen Light Yagami’s VA to voice Hisashi…so either a Take That [a TVTropes meme] or something like that.

And yeah…panty shots…serious fans may be disturbed even more than that but for me I could get over this…especially the panty shots of victims and zombies themselves…

Overall, the director should not let us down…

• August 19, 2010 at 7:49 pmbilly