K-ON!! – 24 (END) »« K-ON!! – 22

K ON!!   23   28 K ON!!   23   29 K ON!!   23   30
K ON!!   23   31 K ON!!   23   32 K ON!!   23   33
K ON!!   23   34 K ON!!   23   35 K ON!!   23   36
K ON!!   23   37 K ON!!   23   38 K ON!!   23   39

「放課後!」 (Houkago!)
“After School!”

Now that Yui and the others have finished their entrance exams and gotten into their school of choice together, there’s nothing left to do but wait around for their graduation ceremony. Hanging out in their clubroom one last time was on the itinerary, as was leaving behind a memento of all of Houkago Tea Time’s songs. While I would’ve been perfectly fine if they just filled the entire episode with their recording session, the real tease from not showing any of it are the two songs on their list that we’ve never heard before. The first one, “Ichigo Parfait ga Tomaranai”, was actually seen all the way back in episode one, whereas the second one, “Honey Sweet Tea Time”, sounds like it’s labeled to be a Mio-sung song. As such, all I could think about when this episode drew to a close was how much I’d like to get my hands on that cassette tape they left behind. Heck, I even have cassette players to play it and can dub it to another tape just to preserve the more ghetto feel. It’s Old School Tea Time! Mp3 what now?

Anyway, I’m wondering if Pony Canyon plans to release a complete Houkago Tea Time album once this series ends and include those two songs on it, because it seems a bit strange cruel to simply throw out song titles with no intention of writing an actual song for it. The other possibility is that they can save them as a huge surprise for the next K-ON Live Event and release them as another single afterward to milk it to death, assuming there’s going to be another live in the future. (Common (business) sense says there will be.) Whatever the case, it’s probably safe to assume the school festival performances of “Gohan wa Okazu” and “U & I” are the last songs we’ll hear in the series itself. Things are in a pure wind down stage now, where the girls are just trying lounging around killing time and trying to do some things in high school they haven’t yet, such as cleaning their clubroom (*gasp*). It’s quite a shock I know, just like how they’ve never eaten the highly sought after “Golden Chocolate Bread” when Azusa, Ui, and Jun all have already.

There was nothing on the Azusa front nor the future of the music club next year, which means it can either continue on if Ui, Jun, and one new member join, or go dormant again just like when this series started. The actual outcome isn’t important it would seem, as most of this episode was fairly laid back and unassuming in typical K-ON fashion. My personal highlights were Yui in Nodoka’s glasses and trying to look sophisticated, Nodoka without them, Azusa’s surprise over Yui’s usage of the word “musicianship” (just like in live event skit), and most of all, Mio and Azusa not liking the sound of their own voices when Mugi decided to record their useless chatter as well. Azusa takes the cake in the last one, after getting embarrassed over how she sounds yelling and even apologizing for getting on everyone’s case all this time. Laughing out loud to that almost came instinctively for me, because she finally realized how uptight she sounds. Aside from that, I would probably consider this a deceivingly peaceful episode. The reason being, the next one is the last.

However, that’s only story-wise, as TBS and all the other stations have two more bonus episodes scheduled to air in the following weeks, one of which I suspect will be a recap type of episode like Kyoto Animation did for CLANNAD. Whether or not the “finale” next time will be a tearful one remains to be seen, but I’m really not expecting it to be when episode twenty delivered in that department.

K ON!!   23   Preview 01 K ON!!   23   Preview 02 K ON!!   23   Preview 03
September 7, 2010 at 10:05 pm
  • September 7, 2010 at 10:12 pmShinjiro

In any case, we got the kleenex box ready. This episode could be the quiet moment before the storm.

• September 7, 2010 at 10:26 pmkyonkun

This K-ON!! was almost too laid back, I got really excited they were going to play new song to close the episode “I was like this :), then I like this :(” with the big tease.

I’m expecting a big Azusa meltdown, but then again who wants to see her cry :(

I’ll get stabby if Kyoani wastes a episode for a recap with the Ritsu BF chapter still not not animated for the series

• September 8, 2010 at 12:46 amjam

Very unlikely that Ritsu chapter’s going to get animated, because this is not season 1 where 2 beach episodes are acceptable. We already have a someonesuspectssomeonehasaboyfriend/stalking/foundoutitsactuallyagirl episode around 3 months back. From here onwards it’s unlikely much, if any part of the manga will be animated at all.

• September 8, 2010 at 2:09 ammegalith

Well.. They skipped a lot of parts in the manga…

Specially Nodoka’s chapter. It’s like KyoAni shoved her to the sides. But anyway I hope they include that in the specials and not go for the Afterstory way of special episodes.

I’d rage so hard if it’s just a recollection or recap episode. I mean c’mon don’t waste that time.

• September 8, 2010 at 2:57 amkeiOnDaisuki

IIEEEE!!!!!!! KYOANI, DON’T MAKE THE LAST TWO EPS. BE JUST RECAPS!!!
      MY HEART WON’T TAKE IT!! T___________T

• September 8, 2010 at 6:28 amShinjiro

kyonkun, I didn’t follow the manga that far but what BF are you talking about?

• September 9, 2010 at 7:00 amMickey

Yeah, me neither. I didn’t read the manga.
        I’ll read it after the series is over so I’d still have some K-On stuffs to look forward to :D

• September 7, 2010 at 10:38 pmDwelling

Azusa needs her own series

• September 7, 2010 at 10:47 pmPhocus

Poor Azusa… I hope they can provide some closure for the finale and not leave it at a point where she ends up miserable and alone without HTT.

Also, I wonder what Kyoto Animation is animating next. I wish they could go back to their roots and adapt Key titles (namely Little Busters), or continue on with FMP.

• September 7, 2010 at 10:50 pmmegalith

Two things… The bell and the cassette tape..

Feels bad man… When they were sitting down and the bell rings. They all tune in to that sound.

Second that cassette tape brought a neat but another sad speculation. Those who speculated said that we were watching a flashback. ;___;

Anyway.. Since next last week is the final official episode the manga also ended recently. Well.. Let’s see how KyoAni does that.

• September 7, 2010 at 11:02 pmkyonkun

Kyoani better end K-ON!! with a bang because I’ll be disappointed if Episode 20 was the emotional peak of this series

The flashback was discussed on Twitter and I’ve been wondering how this will end because they built the tension up and this episode was like nothing was happening, it’s like a setup for the ending

I wonder if Azusa will run up the stairs and find a empty room? or someone waiting there? in the final hmmm…..

• September 8, 2010 at 2:04 ammegalith

It’b nice if Azusa gets members to go with her.

In the manga i’m not sure but:

Also I don’t think KyoAni will let Azusa be alone… Or so I think… D:

• September 7, 2010 at 11:13 pmFlamingYu

cute and future “Sawako”.
    “(-_-)”

• September 8, 2010 at 6:21 am0927123

“I, HOPE, SO!”

• September 7, 2010 at 11:16 pmRazgriz

They say Azusa fans might want to refrain from watching (or reading) the K-ON! finale. And yes, kyonkun, it will be a massive Azusa meltdown. Whether what I’m saying is based on a troll or not, my guess is Azusa will cry. I mean, after two years of being with HTT and the seniors leaving for JWU, who wouldn’t?

• September 7, 2010 at 11:24 pmkyonkun

The important thing is the older girls come to her and say their goodbyes
      I’ll hate on Kyoani if they leave her to cry by herself :(

• September 8, 2010 at 5:39 amstarss

I wanna see that happen. Azusa will be seen crying, I just know it.

• September 8, 2010 at 6:27 amShinjiro

I don’t think I personally be able to handle Azunyan crying…I’d be balling with her. Man, KyoAni is making me anxious for next week. Really anxious.

• September 9, 2010 at 7:43 amMickey

Azusa seems to be over the fact that the 4 are leaving.
        She even asked Yui casually “why are you still here?” :D

• September 8, 2010 at 6:14 amRazgriz

I guess it’s inevitable, huh? The images from Sankaku seem pretty genuine regarding the last chapter. I was wondering myself if Jun and Ui will take the club members’ roles as bassist and pianist respectively, seeing at how they jammed in the music room back in episode 5. Then again, it’s back to square one since it’s going to be only the three of them. And the K=ON! dilemma will come full circle once more.

• September 9, 2010 at 7:45 amMickey

What images?

• September 8, 2010 at 1:14 amCroosboy

will k-on be dramatic next episode? lets hope and seee. Y_Y

• September 8, 2010 at 1:44 amjam

Didn’t we hear “No plan” on another Kyoani show four years ago?

• September 8, 2010 at 2:19 amZaku Fan

They may show that life runs in circles, so for K-ON’s Azunyan, she may meet up with a clumsy first year student and convince her to join, much like how the 3 of them met Yui.

• September 8, 2010 at 3:12 amZaku Fan

After this episode then watching 1st season’s episode 1 again, Yui’s growth has been significant

• September 8, 2010 at 2:48 amkeiOnDaisuki

*chokes tears*

gods.. i’m already crying in advance for the next episode..
    i’m pretty expecting it to be really an emotional one..

and about that bf chapter i’ve been whining about:

PULEEZZZ KYOANI!! HEAR MY PRAYERS!!

*prays sincerely for the nth time*

• September 8, 2010 at 5:29 amstarss

OMG THE NEXT EPISODE IS THE LAST IN THE STORY! It came too soon! NO! I’M NOT READY!

I bet those students with the corsages in the preview are new students?

• September 8, 2010 at 6:48 amAutoHost

I’m really dun wish K-ON to end it now T.T but everything must come to an end rite..i hope tht Kyoto animation will make more anime something like K-ON last but nt least cheers to K-ON! =D

• September 8, 2010 at 7:27 amKinny Riddle

THE END IS NIGH! And what’s amazing is the whole episode, while lacking any climax, the fact that all this normalcy will end today merely emphasizes that sense of bittersweetness about the coming finale.

You’d be surprised many people dislike listening to their voice on record, since it sounds completely different to the sound which they’re always used to hearing (mainly due to us not having to hear our voice transmit through the air as the sound is transmitted within our bodies). I count myself as one of those.

Though I’ve taken a peek at the manga ending, I cannot comment on it properly without spoiling it, so I’ll wait till next week. Though most of us probably know or guess what it’s all about anyway.

• September 8, 2010 at 7:35 amKinny Riddle

Wonder if Kyo-Ani would consider releasing the HTT album in cassette format as seen in this episode? :)

And who here likes Nodoka without her glasses?

• September 8, 2010 at 7:40 amsuperanu

one last episode left :( hope they do something that satisfies us k-on fans xD
    gohan wa okazu sold 18638 copies on the first day. not great, but not too bad either~~
    no thank you & utauyo mayacle sold about 28000 each first day.
    :::
    Yui or Ui vote here : http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/492759

• September 8, 2010 at 7:47 amYuhsaku

I still have the see Episode 23 but I wonder. Is Yui crying in the picture on the right side after Yui hugged Asuza?

• September 8, 2010 at 9:19 amAzuma

Well in one of the earlier episodes (Can’t remember which) Jun proposed about joining the club with Ui after the the seniors leave so that Azusa wouldn’t be lonely. Though that could’ve just been some random chit chat that they did.

Either way it just seems natural for Jun and Ui to join (for me). Seeing the tape recording, I have a feeling there will be a short little time skip segment to the new academic year with freshmen joining Azusa+co and listening to the tape.

• September 8, 2010 at 11:32 amFirelord

Jun made that ‘promise’ several times before, so if she were joking, it’d be a very cruel joke if you ask me. And I’m sure Azusa would never forgive her if she were trolling.

• September 8, 2010 at 6:17 pmZnail

Both Jun and Ui can play too, so it’s not like it’s a problem for them to join either.

• September 9, 2010 at 9:20 amNandaka

Azusa & Ui => guitar
        Jun => Bass

They need 2 more member then? For keyboard and drums….

• September 8, 2010 at 11:33 amFirelord

I’m expecting Azusa to bawl her eyes out in the final episode. We’ve seen several times that she fears finding the clubroom empty, and seeing that fear finally come true would probably break her for real.

Considering she’s good friends with Ui (as well as in the same class), I’d like it if she somehow stayed in touch with the other four girls, despite not being able to play with them anymore (at least, not as part of the Light Music Club). It’d be even better if they somehow kept HTT in its current form intact and that all five would come together to practice from time to time. But, that’s probably just idle hope…

• September 8, 2010 at 4:04 pmcrazystudyguy

Yes it will be sad for Azusa and is only emphasized more because in the series she is displayed to always be hanging out with her upperclassmen. So when they leave we are focused on her having no one left. But in reality, it would be the case that Azusa would have friends in her own year that would be just as close to her as the K-on group. Whats my point? I don’t know I was just being a realist when I checked up on RC and made a random post.

• September 8, 2010 at 8:16 pmUmaro

I guess that’s what they meant when they said that the end of K-ON!! will coincide with the final chapter of the manga.

The next episode will be the “final” and then the last two are just bonuses.

• September 8, 2010 at 10:30 pmsuperanu

I haven’t seen hirasawa’s parents yet -.-;

• September 9, 2010 at 12:07 amsolarguardian

Check out episode 20 behind Ui. :)

• September 9, 2010 at 10:25 pminfo600

that’s not it, we need their faces as well!

• September 8, 2010 at 10:32 pmsuperanu

if it ends, we’ll just assuming that azusa, ui and jun succeeds k-on-bu and find another member somewhere, just like how k-on started. although this is a fantasy world, and what happens happens, think too much about it, you’ll later realize your becoming crazy.

• September 8, 2010 at 11:49 pmsuperanu

Im quite surprised that an serie that focuses on “cake and tea time” doesn’t have a single episode on birthday.

• September 9, 2010 at 1:12 ammarinelzen

I believe there are going to be three more episodes after this one. No need to panic just yet.

• September 9, 2010 at 1:39 amMyssa Rei

Correction: it’s just one more aired episode, followed by two DVD ‘bonus’ episodes like in the first season.

• September 9, 2010 at 7:54 amMickey

What? We have to wait till they release the Season 2 DVD before we could get to watch the final 2 episodes??? Man, that’ll be a gruesome wait…

• September 13, 2010 at 4:59 amDivine

As I mentioned in my post, the two extra episodes are scheduled to air in the following two weeks. [source]

Whether there will be additional DVD/BD ones is another matter though.

• September 9, 2010 at 6:36 amblanket

i’m so sad that k-on is ending
    i also wonder if they can really do a s3 considering how much new material they would need to come up with

• September 9, 2010 at 6:38 amasaha

Isn’t Honey Sweet Tea Time supposed to be sang by Mugi? I think they said that in an episode…

• September 9, 2010 at 7:47 amLurker

Keyword: supposedly

Our last hope in hearing Honey Sweet Tea Time is IF they decide to add it to a new set of character songs for Mugi. Yui will be getting a new character song album which will be released on 9/21. There’s also the K-On!! OST Vol.2 which will be released on 10/06.

But, hey, this is KyoAni. They could be just trolling us with Mugi’s song. *shrugs*

• September 9, 2010 at 6:55 amMickey

After watching Episode 23.
    The possibility of a 3rd Season seems bleak…
    But a possible movie or an OVA might happen.

• September 9, 2010 at 8:07 amMickey

No, no, no, no…
    If there’s going to be a Season 3,
    Yui, Mugi, Mio & Ritsu should be there.

No “Ui-Jun-Azusa”

You guys remember how Jun told Azusa that she really belongs to Keion-bu?
    Being a Keion-bu member, you have to be sort of a slacker who loves goofing around & drinking & serving tea.

Ui & Jun aren’t Keion-bu material, see?
    They’re too serious *slash responsible.
    Ui is lovable & can play, but, being a Keion-bu member isn’t just about that.
    Jun maybe wacky, and maybe a more suitable member of Keion-bu than Azusa but her wackiness belongs to the Jazz club as with Azusa’s seriousness belongs to Keion-bu
    [to balance things up]

• September 9, 2010 at 4:51 pmNamida

If you’ll recall, Azusa wasn’t initially a slacker, but she was converted. If they can convert Azusa, then they can surely convert Jun.

• September 9, 2010 at 5:52 pmMickey

Yeah, Azusa wasn’t very much of a slacker, but hanging out with the girls
        brought the slacker inside her to surface :P
        But the girls won’t be there anymore to bring the slacker out of Jun.
        Oh and, I think Jun’s a bit of a slacker already :D
        Remember when they were cooking, they ran out or ingredient and Jun picked to stay in than go out to buy what they needed? ~_~;

• September 9, 2010 at 11:36 amFidelDesu

aww ~ =’( next week is the last eps hope there’ll be sp/extra eps !

• September 9, 2010 at 1:41 pmPWAAMEAP

I watched the preview.

I realized that the last episode was next.

I teared up.

• September 10, 2010 at 2:56 amexia

I can’t bring myself to feel sad that this would be the second to last episode. Part of me is a little sad though I have this other part of me saying yay the cause of the Moe Era is finally gone. And yes K-ON was the birth of all things MOE so I’m kind of happy that its finally over.

• September 12, 2010 at 10:02 amlol

omg… I dont want the next ep but I want it too !

omg.. Im gonna miss k-on, so much

I teared up in the ending theme(no, thank you)of this episode… awww k-on

• September 14, 2010 at 11:33 amRiver

Aren’t the girls wearing college uniforms in the “No Thank You” ending credits? Maybe the next anime is HTT in college?

• September 14, 2010 at 12:46 pmsuperanu

omgz lol October 27th cd album includes
    Ichigo Parfrait
    and Honey sweet tea time xDDDD
    as well as a few we haven’t heard.

• September 14, 2010 at 12:54 pmsuperanu

8.ときめきシュガー sugar crush
    9.冬の日 – Winter day
    10.五月雨20ラブ – May 20 rain love
    11.ごはんはおかず – Goan is snack
    12.U&I – U&I

• September 21, 2010 at 1:29 amJon

allergy is evil… I just love to go and eat every anti allergic :(