MM! – 04 »« MM! – 02

MM   03   22 MM   03   23 MM   03   24
MM   03   25 MM   03   26 MM   03   27
MM   03   28 MM   03   29 MM   03   30
MM   03   31 MM   03   32 MM   03   33
MM   03   34 MM   03   35 MM   03   36
MM   03   37 MM   03   38 MM   03   39

「君のためのドッグファイト」 (Kimi no tame no Doggu Faito)
“A Dog Fight For You”

Well, this sure was an intense episode. From the way it began, with Mamiya Yumi’s (Gibu Yuko) stylish introduction, you would think that this would be a mere comedy episode dedicated to her. Instead, we took a completely different turn and picked up from where the story left off with Yuno’s trauma. It was definitely a nice follow up, with Tarou running off to challenge the punk pretty boy that hurt Yuno, giving a Kamijou Touma-like speech in the process and finishing up with a just as familiar Imagine Breaker. Needless to say, such heroic speeches and fights seemed a bit out of place in this series, given it’s art style, but nonetheless it was a very well done and executed scene. I must admit, my heart was swayed when Tarou was standing there giving his “why you suck” speech, and I felt the small jolt of excitement that I usually get when I see Touma deliver the same speeches in Index. Of course, his victory wouldn’t have been possible without the help of Mio, who sent a gift from god in only the way she could: a metal bat that should have broken his knee. I suppose we can take it as a sign that Mio knows not to get physically involved in a fight between men, but jeez, could she not have thought of a less painful way to help Tarou!? At least Tarou himself was grateful for the bean, as was obvious from his vision of Mio as an angel. This scene in particular actually makes me wonder if this anime will explore MioxTarou, as so far it’s been completely YunoxTarou. You see Mio alongside Yuno as a main heroine, so one would expect her to become a love interest at some point. Then again, this series has already betrayed my expectations more than once; in a good way of course.

Mio love flags aside, the girl who has actually become a love interest has developed well from her first appearance in episode one. When she was first introduced, I thought she was just a bitch who found Tarou disgusting because of his fetish. This initial characterization only serves to show how the story was set up to surprise viewers, and it certainly accomplished that with flying colors. Perhaps I’m just a sucker, but I find it quite refreshing to be this floured by a series which I didn’t have much expectations for other than ecchi comedy. Hell, XEBEC didn’t even ruin any of the moments after the fight by throwing in unneeded comedy. I’ve read that so far, XEBEC has remained fairly consistent in its adaptation of the light novel this is based on, and once again I commend them for not taking this and turning it inside-out. It appears that Yuno is well on her way to recovering from her Androphobia, even telling Tarou that he was walking too far away from her at one point. Speaking of which, that scene really made them look like a couple, and is miles apart from last episode at the train station. Yet, despite this stark turn in dynamic between the two, it doesn’t feel forced to me at all. Yet another example of excellent execution on the part of the creators.

Of course, I can’t end this post without commenting on our newest addition to the fetish family tree, Mamiya Yumi. This series continues to entertain me with it’s fetish laden characters. This time, we have a pseudo-lesbian (or bisexual?) who goes into a frenzy when she sees cute girls, wanting desperately to give them a massage and loosing all sense of self in the process. I can’t recall ever seeing such a fetish in anime or real life for that matter, but it certainly makes for shamelessly justified and well placed yuri scenes. According to Tarou, she has some history with Tatsukichi (who I thought was gay) which is what prompted my bisexual theory. You can also clearly see Chibi Yumi chasing down Chibi Tatsukichi in the OP, so it’ll be interesting, if not comedic, to watch where this connection goes.

MM   03   Preview 01 MM   03   Preview 02 MM   03   Preview 03

*Note: If anyone knows a proper name for Yumi’s fetish, please let me know in the comments and I will immediately find someone similar and bring back pics.

October 16, 2010 at 2:36 pm
  • October 16, 2010 at 2:47 pmPachikun

ooh el primero que buen episodio

• October 16, 2010 at 2:47 pmDF

A show about fetishes has no right to be this amazing. Holy crap.

• October 16, 2010 at 3:01 pmScience

Really enjoyed it, especially yumi’s scene with mio near the start.

• October 17, 2010 at 4:26 pmSaten

Yuri fetish!
      We can’t blame that Tatsukichi is pretty as girl.

• October 16, 2010 at 3:10 pmLucian

The animation is sooooooo good :O

• October 16, 2010 at 3:11 pmClementIV

Great episode, I really did not think that this anime would have this kind of character development. From the looks of the preview, we’ll get a date next time, I’m looking forward to it.

• October 16, 2010 at 3:30 pmSyaoran Li

You’re the man Tauro, you’re the.. I mean, you’re the god.

Good God, that was a fine fist fight between those two.

• October 16, 2010 at 3:32 pmrufe

Very fast high kick from Taro for an untrained high school student. Ridiculous that Taro wasn’t just crushed, but…he’s much more likable (awesome?) than the main character from Ookami-san (Ryouma?..).

• October 16, 2010 at 3:38 pmewok40k

No, I won’t start watching 12th series this season! Certainly! Probably… Maybe?

• October 17, 2010 at 4:14 amTehJawknee

Dude, I’m already watching 9 “Airing” shows and I’ve got a backlog of about 140 in my “Plan to Watch” list… I’m sure you can pick up one more.

• October 16, 2010 at 3:50 pmOtakuFreak

When I saw this seasons preview i wasnt quite sure if i wanted to watch this – but i watched it to see whats it would be like. And IM SO GLAD I DID! The comedy is soperfectly placed in the drama that it doesnt ruin the plot but still makes me laught my ass off XD! One of my fave shows this seaon XD!

• October 16, 2010 at 4:10 pmDawn

I called it, Tarou is a badass–pretty boy may be a boxer but he doesn’t have the unrivaled constitution of a MASOCHIST, out lasted son!!

• October 16, 2010 at 4:28 pmJaysus

I believe the term you are looking for, Suzuku, is Hyphephilia.

• October 17, 2010 at 4:17 amTehJawknee

Nah, Hypephilia is more of a tactile fetish than wanting to massage pretty girls. It’s defined as the sexual arousal by feeling different textures.

• October 17, 2010 at 7:30 amJaysus

She’s totally not “massaging” those girls. Hypephilia covers wanting to feel a person’s skin, as well as various non-living objects.

• October 17, 2010 at 5:25 pmdiet otaku

but she doesn’t show any interest in wanting to feel anything OTHER than cute girls.

if i had to name it, i’d just say she’s boobiesexual.

• October 17, 2010 at 7:41 pmJaysus

Different fetishists have their own preferences. This chick only likes feeling up good looking girls… how is that so different than the fact that Tarou only likes getting abused by good looking girls? You didn’t see Tarou getting all hot and bothered when pretty boy beat his ass this episode. Why? Because pretty boys aren’t his preference.

• October 16, 2010 at 5:33 pmShinjiro

This episode was exciting and the follow-up with that ass of a senpai was exciting and fun to watch. I even yelled a HELL YEAH when Tarou knocked the hell out of Yuno’s tormentor. The change of pace was nicely done too and didn’t feel disconnected from the rest of the episode. Tarou gets a good nod from this side of the monitor!

• October 16, 2010 at 5:51 pmTheNewHorde

2 things:

1. I believe it was the OP that she chased him down, not the ED.

2. How did you get all these awesome super crisp high definition full shots of the characters? Did you photoshop it together?

• October 16, 2010 at 5:56 pmLucian

No, this is what the anime actually looks like. The animation is ridiculous.

• October 16, 2010 at 6:06 pmSuzuku

Ah, you’re right. And I assume you only watch Ryuumaru’s release, which is in 480p. I cap shots from 720p raws. As for the full shots of the characters, yes, I used Photoshop to make a pan of the image.

• October 16, 2010 at 6:30 pmCroosboy

This reminded me of Okami and the seven companions

• October 16, 2010 at 6:32 pmamado

• October 16, 2010 at 6:46 pmXin

This easily had one of the weakest first episodes of the season imo…making the drastic turnaround in only 2 more eps. that much more amazing. Definitely a keeper…I’m just about speechless at how natural and fluid all the character/relationship development has occurred in such a short span.

• October 16, 2010 at 10:33 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Wouldn’t be surprised if Yumi was one of the people who (really) thought Tatsukichi was cute as a girl, lol. Heck, wouldn’t surprise me if she probably supported him about keeping on with it.

• October 16, 2010 at 10:42 pmBluance

Cosplay Mio is FTW! Interesting to see that Tarou come out with a bit of Gar! hehe

• October 16, 2010 at 11:09 pmAyatan

This series did in 3 episodes what Ookami did in 7.
    And there was more exchanges of blows.

If only he would say, “I will hunt you”.

• October 19, 2010 at 10:01 amjackvojack

LOL
      “I will hunt you” line was just perfect for Ryoushi. NO ONE ELSE!!!!

• October 17, 2010 at 1:01 amfall3nbs

Just gets better and better. Wasn’t really expecting some potential character development after seeing stuff like Kanokon and LadyxBato. 2 thumbs up for Tarou doing a 2 hit knock out!

• October 17, 2010 at 7:39 pmOmegan

The annoying friend who will interrupt mostly all love moments between two main characters?
    CHECK!

• October 17, 2010 at 11:20 pmAlec

I tottaly didnt expect MM to be so awesome. I really thought it would be another slow pace comedy series which is totally the usual, and terrible as well.

The World God Only Knows and MM totally exceeded my expectations

• October 20, 2010 at 11:46 pmponpon22

i think they’re trying too hard to show that he’s not a wimp. anybody who thinks that about a male masochist probably wouldn’t understand a show like this anyway.