STAR DRIVER: Kagayaki no Takuto – 08 »« STAR DRIVER: Kagayaki no Takuto – 06

STAR DRIVER: Kagayaki no Takuto – 07

STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   01 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   02 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   03
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   04 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   05 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   06
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   07 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   08 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   09
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   10 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   11 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   12
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   13 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   14 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   15
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   16 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   17 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   18
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   19 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   20 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   21
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   22 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   23 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   24
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   25 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   26 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   27
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   28 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   29 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   30
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   31 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   32 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   33
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   34 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   35 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   36
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   37 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   38 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   39

「遠い世界」 (Tōi Sekai)
“A Faraway World”

So, who didn’t see this plot twist coming? Even so, it was developed well this episode and at the very least kept me angsting throughout. I was always thinking in the back of my mind that the writers were planning something like this for Sugata, since it’s such a common plot twist nowadays to have the “best friend and rival” of the main character to become an antagonist, and while it’s not a very original idea anymore it certainly opens doors to many interesting routes the story could take. The problem with that is, it could also lead to a generic “try and force save/defeat person x” series, which would be a big disappointment unless the producers can somehow break the trend and actually pull the story off, which I just can’t see happening.

To be honest, the way things are right now, Star Driver is looking too much like Naruto: three main characters, love triangle between said three main characters with Girl A liking Boy A but Boy B likes Girl A, and Boy A turning into an antagonist that the main character wishes to “save”. Like I said, there are many places you can go from there but they’re usually dragged out and end up making the story feel long in the tooth, as is the case with Naruto in my opinion. I problem I already have with this is that the bond between Takuto and Sugata wasn’t really developed that well in the episodes prior to this one, focusing on Takuto and Wako instead, so the drama which stemmed from Takuto’s concern for Sugata came off feeling a bit dry for me as a viewer. I simply couldn’t find myself caring all too much that Sugata turned to the “dark side” because we never really got to see much of Sugata before last episode, so unfortunately this develpment comes without any real emotional backbone for me, even if the episode itself conveyed Takuto’s feelings well. Still, I’ll maintain faith that the writers can pull it off, and judging by next episode’s preview we’re speeding along to Takuto and Sugata’s break up battle, so at least the pacing will be up-to-par.

That aside, Divine must have some mad predicting skills or inside sources with Bones, because he told me a few weeks back he was waiting for the episode when Kiraboshi ended up activating Zero Time while Wako was bathing. Looks like he got his wish this week, with only a cloth separating us and pure fanservice. We were also shown Wako’s grandmother in full for the first time that I can recall, and right off the bat she began drilling Takuto on his Tau mark. I have a sneaking suspicion that Wako’s grandmother is connected to Takuto’s grandfather somehow, and it’ll be interesting to see how deep that connection goes, if there is one. Mami also returned for her second attempt to take down Takuto, which of course resulted in her defeated at Tauburn’s hands. This was definitely one of the less exciting fights thus far, but it was only meant to be a plot device to get Sugata to wake up somehow, and it also shortened the time we were in Zero Time this week, which is a plus in my opinion, as the most interesting parts of the story are always outside of Zero Time. Speaking of recurring characters, it seems that Midori retained her position as a Kiraboshi head even after her defeat in her battle with Takuto, so I suppose that you don’t necessarily have to be a Star Driver to be in the leadership of Kiraboshi. As for whether she’ll actually play any type of major role from now on, I doubt it. So far, it seems to me that Watanabe and Keito are the main Kiraboshi heads as far as characterization goes, as they get the most screentime out of the five heads and are the only ones in Takuto’s class. Of course, that’s not to say the other three will just be fodder.

By the way, someone should really analyze fish girl’s story to figure out how it connects to the plot at hand. It’s quite obvious what the story is referring sometimes, and seems to be foreshadowing what will happen in the future of the series a bit, but at other times it’s just plain confusing. If anyone has found an in-depth analysis, let me know.

STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   Preview 01 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   Preview 02 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   07   Preview 03
November 14, 2010 at 11:07 pm
  • November 14, 2010 at 11:15 pmdisgradius

I’ll actually be looking forward to next episode~ Never really liked Takuto anyways, hoping to see him get pummeled.

• November 14, 2010 at 11:21 pmCroosboy

w0w post was fast but havent yet seen this.

• November 14, 2010 at 11:26 pmKendawgg

Yay first!! and I really like this series :)

• November 15, 2010 at 8:36 pmPikapu

…fail.

• November 17, 2010 at 9:03 amRyuuroden

People should just stop typing in first, lol. Most of the time they turn out not to be and they just look plain stupid. :D

• November 14, 2010 at 11:28 pmOsiris

Boobies, yay

• November 14, 2010 at 11:36 pmjrj

interesting way to weak the sleeping beauty… and what you get is a dark princess? … can’t wait to see the king of cybody in action…
    as far as the fish girl’s story, Show Spoiler ▼

Of course, this is just my personal take on it… could be completely different…

• November 14, 2010 at 11:40 pmxcswmboy

I’m interested in who the pink haired commander actually is within the school. Student President? Another teacher?

• November 14, 2010 at 11:43 pmjrj

you mean scarlet kiss girl? she is a second year student who is also the head of student dorm… you don’t see her as well since she is in grade 2…
        or if you mean Head, then it should be yet to be revealed…

• November 14, 2010 at 11:56 pmxcswmboy

Oh yea, I meant the head. Pink, Purple, same thing.

• November 15, 2010 at 12:01 amentropy

He is the school director, ranked lower than the headmaster, who is the old guy that is the Drama Club’s adviser (and has nothing to with the Star Driver thingy’s).

• November 14, 2010 at 11:45 pmZone

great eps…things just keep getting better..really looking forward to the next eps..

• November 14, 2010 at 11:49 pmShijugi

Hope the epic fight in next EP. Most of fight so far seem to be so short.. But last eps was funny. I have admit that.

• November 14, 2010 at 11:52 pmDawn

So from Scarlet Kiss’s first phase (her smirking) it appears she succeeded in ‘mind controlling’ Sugata.

Whether it actually did work or not is hard to tell, but regardless, Sugata has indeed changed.

random shit everywhere @.@

• November 15, 2010 at 12:00 amxcswmboy

Seems like she got reverse raped when she kissed him. I would hope the King aura would trump some inferior First Phase.

Maybe there’s a future plot development when they think killing Scarlet Kiss would free Sugata, but then *gasp* it doesn’t work and she was controlled by him instead. Or something like that.

• November 15, 2010 at 12:03 amjrj

this one I thought was one of the Miko on the island… but guess not… :()
      Though Head had already commented that Scarlet Kiss had fallen for Sugata back in episode 2 or so… so we don’t know how that is going to play out…

• November 15, 2010 at 12:13 amda5id

Called it.

• November 15, 2010 at 12:28 aminfo600

I call for the King to go down next ep…

Red Vs Blue ftw!!! (Halo Trope!)

• November 15, 2010 at 1:13 amjrj

right, it is no secret that this show characterizes its characters by hair colors…
      Takuto = red, Sugata = blue, Wako = yellow, Head = purple, high school slut wife = green, etc.

• November 15, 2010 at 4:48 amPoiira

I’m hoping that they’ll wrap up this portion quickly so that we can move on with the actual plot. It’s gonna be fun seeing Sugata act all bastardy. :D

• November 15, 2010 at 4:54 ambelatkuro

“By the way, someone should really analyze fish girl’s story figure out how it connects to the plot at hand.”

There’s a missing word “to” in between ‘story’ and ‘figure’ in this sentence of the last paragraph. And isn’t fish girl’s real name “Sakana”?

• November 15, 2010 at 12:36 pmNeon Daze

Actually Sanaka means fish, so Sanaka-chan translate to fish girl. We don’t know her real name yet.

• November 15, 2010 at 5:40 amDerPilz,

Is Sugata under the control of Benio(kiss ability)?

When he got slapped his eyes changed, which mean that he’s no longer under her control.

So why fighting Takuto next ep??
    Any idea???

• November 15, 2010 at 5:43 amDerPilz,

By the way, the symbols when character’s approvise are “Phonecian Lettters”

Have a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phoenician_alphabet.svg

• November 15, 2010 at 5:46 amlkaze

fist girl story

there, hopefully this will help out how to connect the fish girl story with the plot

• November 15, 2010 at 7:23 amjrj

thanks a lot for that… :D

• November 15, 2010 at 2:48 pmSuzuku

Ah, thanks. It seems like we need a little more of the story, but you can already see some connections to the series. I wonder if her story will continue all the way through the end of the series?

• November 15, 2010 at 6:13 amBossun

I don’t really like the fish girl and her singing. It seems like a waste of time. I don’t want to hear about Sam the Squid Slayer. I want to see Takuto crush some Cybodies

• November 15, 2010 at 7:07 amAznCoffee

But the thing is, her story tells about how and why some things in the story are the way they are. Like how Samakh (Sam) makes people who appripose it go to sleep.

• November 15, 2010 at 8:04 amBossun

But it didn’t really tell why, did it? Just a boring metaphor. I mean, Sukata didn’t drink any blue blood

• November 15, 2010 at 5:20 pmAznCoffee

Obvious time filler is obvious. Stop complaining and just enjoy the show.

• November 15, 2010 at 11:05 amsealouse

I agree. It seems like pointless filler. I actually find it disturbing that they keep her caged up like that.

• November 15, 2010 at 7:13 amsynkronized

I’d argue Head (Sakana-chan’s master) will shape up to be a major antagonist or at least character soon enough. We always see him in the background every episode, Hell, he’s the one that ushered in the 2nd phase by poking the fishing girl with his diamant blade. He’s not terribly active right now but you get the vibe his role’s gonna grow sooner or later.

• November 15, 2010 at 8:57 amIceman Hotty

For anyone who needs a quick reference chart for the Star Driver series:

• November 15, 2010 at 10:05 amXellos-_^

this series has dragonaut written all over it,

• November 15, 2010 at 12:03 pmDerPilz,

• November 15, 2010 at 1:32 pmarixx

You can’t really blame Sugata to be the bad guys, how would you feel if you were told that your fate and destiny is already laid out before u and there nothing you can do to change it not to mention you stuck on an island where you can’t even travel to a neighbor island or see the world. I myself would do anything just to change some laid out destiny.

• November 15, 2010 at 2:46 pmrasone0104

So ummm.
    should i expect an evangelionish ending?

• November 15, 2010 at 3:56 pmSuppa Tenko

zz Suzuku, you forgot to include the screenshot with the red pill blue pill scene >.<

There certainly was asspull in this episode but seeing how this show is suppose to be a clichéd modern super robot show, its probably expected. But ya know, 20 years ago this kind of development isn't clichéd. Think about it, what if 100 years from now, they have pretty much cover the bases of every combination of plot points, wouldn't everything become clichéd?

• November 15, 2010 at 4:11 pmSuzuku

I think we’re already at that point now lol. The “best friend turning enemy” plot device has existed for centuries, along with pretty much every other type of plot you could imagine. You could say that there are no original stories, just recycled.

• November 15, 2010 at 4:03 pmSecsuey

king’s pillar is a bit overkilled I mean he can just keep making that explosion every time he want?
    and since they are fighting in the next episode I wonder if we will get to see takuto to lose

• November 15, 2010 at 4:38 pmPikapu

Hm… I hate the pigtailed pink-haired chick. She really, REALLY bugs me. And she’s just so f’in annoying. >:[

• November 15, 2010 at 6:40 pmSilentcid

Need more Fish Girl and her crazy stories.

• November 16, 2010 at 2:27 amSpacyRicochet

I keep wondering how everyone is seeing a love triangle in this series. No, wait. It’s obvious why everyone thinks that, since it’s the easy and usual route to a story. What I’m wondering at is why everyone is still seeing it here, since the series is making pretty clear from the get-go that Wako and Sugata aren’t really interested in each other. They have the same burdens and are very close and thus are kindred spirits. They care for each other.

The only indication that it could have been an actual triangle was perhaps in the previous episode, where Wako actually gets asked if she likes Sugata. That’s Takuto being insecure. And before Wako could actually answer Takuto’s question properly in the previous episode, shit hit the fan.

There is no TRIANGLE!

• November 16, 2010 at 1:03 pmSilentcid

Maybe people are saying it is because when he did ask she hesitated. Maybe she didn’t really think deeply about it. I’d say lets forget the whole thing and have him ask her if she does glass.

• November 19, 2010 at 1:42 amGrant

When Wako’s texting a reply to a friend about Takuto she changes ‘not really’ to ‘kind of’ (the question is whether something he did was hot). When Takuto hears how Wako can never leave the island he becomes determined to change that. Their first (sort of) kiss was together. Several other points. None of this is really conclusive normally but when you consider the methods used in anime to put two characters together it’s suggestive.

• November 22, 2010 at 2:41 pmSpacyRicochet

I was mostly doubting the fact that people thought Sugata and Wako had feelings for each other. I completely concur with Takato and Wako ending up together with almost no doubts whatsoever from whatever party.

However, and hopefully not spoilering too much, there is one extra piece of doubt now. However, that’s on the same level as Wako hesitating a little bit at Takuto’s question. Nothing truly important.

• November 19, 2010 at 1:39 amGrant

Sugata’s felt underused for the series so far, and sadly episode 7 really didn’t change that. His main contribution until episode 6 was to show up, look good and stay out of Takuto’s way when it came to Wako.

• November 19, 2010 at 10:30 amDerPilz,

+++

In the first episode, Takuto said:”I guess my FATHER is this island”, and the picture that his father painted was ALREADY on dorm’s wall.His father is really something….

I’m looking forward to seeing Takuto’s past, so far we’ve seen Sugata’s and The South Maiden’s.

• November 19, 2010 at 10:31 amDerPilz,

”I guess my FATHER is on this island”**typo

• November 20, 2010 at 3:28 pmStarDriver,

If you re-watch ep1, you’ll see Takuto’s Father (I’m da*n sure) talikng with Head about the stocks,

At 14:44: the one who’s lighting up a cigarette. =)