Shinrei Tantei Yakumo – 08 »« Shinrei Tantei Yakumo – 06

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo – 07

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   01 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   02 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   03
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   04 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   05 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   06
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   07 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   08 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   09
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   10 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   11 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   12
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   13 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   14 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   15
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   16 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   17 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   18
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   19 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   20 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   21
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   22 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   23 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   24
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   25 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   26 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   27
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   28 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   29 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   30
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   31 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   32 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   33
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   34 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   35 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   36
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   37 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   38 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   39

「つながる想い ~罠~」 (Tsunagaru Omoi ~Wana~)
“Connected Feelings ~Trap~”

After completely obliterating all of the complaints I’ve had with this show, this week’s Yakumo was full of everything you could ever ask for. WATCH IT NOW!.

Now that I got the obligatory advertisement out, judging from solely how the episode started, I had a feeling that there would be some interesting twists and turns this week. What I didn’t expect was just how far down the rabbit hole this show was going to go. Since the beginning I’ve wanted to feel that “chilling” feeling – the feeling you get when you’re watching something so good that you just want more and can’t stop thinking because of the anticipation. The episode starts off with the usual random spirit encounter. Newspaper girl who refuses to stop investigating supernatural things ends up finding someone in the “haunted” mansion she’s investigating. She calls Gotou and co. to watch a video that the girl had recorded. Sounds like the usual setup, but from that point on it almost feels like I’m watching an entirely new show. From the multiple action scenes that followed to the revelation about who was pulling the strings in the back. It all felt fresh and kept me on edge of seat constantly having me question what was coming next. As soon as things got going, it really captured my attention and gave me that awesome “chilling” feeling I’ve been looking for. Why would a girl just happen to be in an abandoned mansion, the place of a quadruple murder, at the same time as the newspaper girl? Why would Yakumo suddenly lose his composure, especially in front of Gotou, after watching a horribly filmed video of that same mansion? Why did it feel like it was all too coincidental? Because it was ALL intentional. After weeks of feeling like the mysteries were total crap when they were solved because of “coincidences”, I was totally content when they split the story into two episodes. Instead of having them feel like crazy coincidences, spacing the episode out let the story itself bring two and two together, giving the mystery time to build up and become something interesting. If the next two episode titles are any indication, it looks like this arc will span a total of three episodes. Awesome!

Looking past the mystery that’s been set up this week, there was a lot of character interaction this week. Haruka and Yakumo seem to be hitting it off well. While they both still won’t admit that they really like each other, it’s slowly leaking out through their actions. From Haruka’s note, to Yakumo actually calling her, both are a step in the right direction. As usual, Haruka can’t leave the cute heart on her note and opts to erase it and Yakumo still can’t tell important things to Haruka out of fear of her safety – both of which are likely going to cause problems later for both of them. Like, maybe she’ll end up trying to figure out things on her own and end up in sticky situations again? Besides our couple, it’s always fun to watch Yakumo play with Gotou. Especially when he makes him question his ability as a detective with some good advice to retracting his advice and making Gotou look stupid. While I’ve expressed my supreme approval of Gotou’s character, I haven’t been so fond of his partner Ishii. His personality somehow rubbed off on me the wrong way and I couldn’t stand it this episode when he was too scared to accompany Gotou inside the mansion. The fact that Gotou ends up getting abducted inside of the mansion and Ishii doesn’t do anything about it really got my blood boiling. It was a pleasant surprise to see his face get smashed in by Gotou’s superior, Chief Miyagawa, after hearing how cowardly he was. It was an even more pleasant surprise to see her relay a message from Gotou’s wife, something along the lines of “Please bring my husband back.” It’s nice to see that even though things aren’t going well at home for Gotou, his wife still cares about him. Ishii, I’m totally expecting you to lose that cowardly attitude and do something to save Gotou.

* Show Spoiler ▼

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   Preview 01 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   Preview 02 Shinrei Tantei Yakumo   07   Preview 03
November 16, 2010 at 12:22 am
  • November 16, 2010 at 1:01 amtomoyostar

• November 16, 2010 at 1:05 amTakaii

• November 16, 2010 at 1:25 amtomoyostar

• November 17, 2010 at 9:14 amJinglefox

• November 28, 2010 at 11:12 amGreg

More than 1½ week behind this show but here goes.

They might have said who she really is in episode 8, but I haven’t seen that far.

• November 16, 2010 at 4:28 amminarge

I thought the chief was also Gotou’s wife, or I did I completely misunderstand?

• November 16, 2010 at 6:48 amjrj

chief is Gotou’s wife’s friend… his wife mentioned that she will spend sometime at the chief’s place in an earlier episode

• November 16, 2010 at 7:17 pmOdarius

But it might be implied that the Chief has some kinda of affection (beyond friendship) with Gotou, am i right?

• November 16, 2010 at 6:31 amPao

We still don’t know their names huh? Yakumo’s dad and his protege, I mean.

• November 16, 2010 at 6:50 amjrj

wow… this episode is getting really interesting… can’t wait for next week…
    the evil woman seems really creepy… :()
    by the way, can stun gun actually kill someone from overuse? Looks like both Gotou and Yakumo are in a lot of pain…
    and I seriously thought something will happen here http://randomc.net/image/Shinrei%20Tantei%20Yakumo/Shinrei%20Tantei%20Yakumo%20-%2007%20-%2023.jpg

• November 16, 2010 at 7:26 amBossun

• November 16, 2010 at 7:21 pmOdarius

Yeah, but she’s so cute when she’s little. What happened lol?

• November 16, 2010 at 10:24 amDivine

The mysteries haven’t been as creepy or as suspenseful as a series like Ghost Hunt, but I like the focus on Yakumo and Haruka’s “relationship” (if you can call it one), the witty humor at Gotou’s expense, and the overarching plot about awakening the darkness within Yakumo. I just wish the characters would their change clothes every now and then, especially Haruka. As someone who said she’ll give her appearance some more effort, she sure hasn’t been showing it!

Nice post by the way Takaii. It looks like writing comes more naturally to you now.

• November 16, 2010 at 12:02 pmTakaii

She was wearing pajamas this episode :D

• November 16, 2010 at 12:41 pmBossun

Does her proportions seem a little weird to anyone else? Her head seems too small for her big body

• November 19, 2010 at 4:09 pmDawn

Yeah props for Takaii hes a true padawan.

Need moar yakumo. I want to see him kick some ass for once.

• November 16, 2010 at 10:49 amKethy-chan

It’s odd: while I loved the interaction between Yakumo and Haruka in this episode, and even how Yakumo and Gotou went about their witty conversations, I just can’t seem to be as psyched about this episode as most (I’ve read a few blogs — yours being my fav, of course !! *wink* — and I must really be the only one who thought episode 7 was blah)…

Maybe I should watch it again…

• November 16, 2010 at 6:40 pmJeremiah Bourque

I guess I’m with Kethy-chan on this. I keep watching this show, I like Haruka, her foibles notwithstanding, but I won’t be really cheering until I see where this is going to go. This show is my first brush with the Yakumo franchise and I want to see what I’ve been missing. It has my interest; let’s see if it cashes in next week. Here’s hoping it does.

• November 17, 2010 at 6:07 amKarmafan

Is it possible that Ishii is with the bad guys and pretending to be such a wuss? Quite often in anime this type of character ends up being one of the bad guys.

• November 18, 2010 at 9:32 amsv

Haruka needs to diversify her wardrobe.

• November 18, 2010 at 10:01 pmewok40k

Humm that psycho girl with stun gun is really great fighter, she easily dispatched both Gotou and Yakumo…

And if she loves Yakumo, I’d hate to see what she does to those she dislikes :P
    I dont see anyone capable of rescuing them now – Ishii and Haruka are both unlikely rescue raiders, and police chief woman is going to chase the wrong suspect.