Kuragehime – 08 »« Kuragehime – 06

Kuragehime   07   22 Kuragehime   07   23 Kuragehime   07   24
Kuragehime   07   25 Kuragehime   07   26 Kuragehime   07   27
Kuragehime   07   28 Kuragehime   07   29 Kuragehime   07   30
Kuragehime   07   31 Kuragehime   07   32 Kuragehime   07   33
Kuragehime   07   34 Kuragehime   07   35 Kuragehime   07   36
Kuragehime   07   37 Kuragehime   07   38 Kuragehime   07   39

「金融無職列島」 (Kinyū Mushoku Rettō)
“Islands of Unemployment Cash-lending”

So many questions, yet so little answers. After finally unearthing the history behind Lina and Shuu’s father, Keiichirou, I’ve realized the show likes to tiptoe all around the issue, never actually diving straight into the truth. Some might believe that there’s not really much to question, as it is what it is by face value. Put simply, the two had an affair, the result was Kuranosuke, and eventually Shuu’s father had to take him in due to unexplained circumstances. Previously I had thought there could be a chance that Kuranosuke was only Lina’s child, but then Keiichirou would have little to no obligation to take him in, except for courtesy or blackmail. Ultimately, everything rides down to the exact reason Lina had to bring Kuranosuke in, which I had thought they would explain in the opening scene, but it didn’t happen. It’s like they tease you with scenes, but only give a small bit of info to egg you on to watch future episodes. It’s great isn’t it?

The Amamizu-kan continues to be in danger of being snatched up by Shoko Inari, who has tangled Shuu into her little web of lies. After much deliberation with the glasses, the two finally meet up, and Inari shows him the planted pictures. Clever thing is, she doesn’t outright state that she’s going to blackmail him, but knows that he knows how dangerous this situation really is. She even tells him that she won’t say a word, but it’s kind of funny how obvious the whole thing looks from a different perspective. First of all, Shuu obviously had his eyes closed, unknowingly posing for the picture, so that should immediately raise some flags for suspicion. And she “felt” she needed to take the pictures to commemorate the night? Also another weak reason. Regardless whether or not he knows that she knows, or she knows that he knows, the predicament is obvious, and will certainly come into play if and when Kuranosuke manages to purchase the complex. The penultimate battle between brothers is still inevitable, only changed slightly. Will Kuranosuke stand down to help Shuu not become exposed? Will Shuu take a sacrifice in order to save Tsukimi? How could they possibly finish this story with justice in only four episodes? Are they still even following the manga?

But yes, while being caught in an unprepared situation, Kuranosuke decides to buy the complex for all it’s worth in order to oppose Inari. With three figure salaries (lol), and Chieko not wanting to sell her 200,000 yen dolls, it becomes a chase to come up with a fast plan to acquire money. Having known the secret of Shuu’s trauma, Kuranosuke attempts to blackmail Keiichirou for the money but fails as he reveals he only got to second base that day (second base being caressing, first being kissing). See, now this is what I’m talking about by walking around the issue! You can say he implies that he did more later on (making Kuranosuke their son), but he doesn’t exactly say it outright, which just makes me highly suspicious that there’s a deeper reason here beneath what’s been shown. There’s also the calmness of Kuranosuke to all of this, which makes me question exactly how much he knows. Perhaps he’s just a ticking time bomb, waiting to explode and meltdown. Due to his rebellious nature, maybe that’s how his character is written to eventually be.

Despite all the plot movement, the romance element of the series is not forgotten in the least. After Inari’s visit to the Amamizu-kan, the glasses found in the bags prove Tsukimi’s worst fear; Shuu is really with Inari, and are even “doing it.” Even then, she didn’t break down into tears until hearing Kuranosuke come up with the same conclusion himself, which was quite heart breaking. It’s almost cruel to see a person fall for someone so much being stuck in an unfavorable position, and can do nothing to reach the others heart. However, Kuranosuke gets some massive influence points on the love chart of Tsukimi by comforting her. Don’t understand? I’ve made one for you. See, if that kiss had gone through before Mayaya rudely interrupted, the meter would’ve broken the charts. I can’t believe he’s still denying he likes her, even after how extremely close he went for a kiss. What a tsundere.

Random Impressions:

• After Mayaya kicked them unconscious to ask them for a fax machine, Kuranosuke was lying half naked on the floor, and his cover wasn’t blown?!
  • I laughed at Inari blowing up as if Kuranosuke threatened her beauty… It really is intriguing when a guy can look better than most girls, and that these people actually exist! The beauty of the natural diversity of DNA…
  • It was unexpected seeing Kuranosuke in a different place, that being school, but now it’s obvious just how popular he is with the females.

Kuragehime   07   Preview 01 Kuragehime   07   Preview 02 Kuragehime   07   Preview 03
    December 3, 2010 at 11:25 pm
    • December 3, 2010 at 11:45 pmShirt

I read the premise to this show. Seems wrong but there’s other stuff I know I shouldn’t be watching this season. I’m going to marathon it up to date tonight. Can’t wait~

• December 4, 2010 at 2:39 amcrazystudyguy

Lucky you, you’re in for a good night

• December 4, 2010 at 12:58 pmShirt

This show is SWEET! It’s like being charmed by Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke all over again! And with some Honey and Clover spice! :D I absolutely adore shows like this that seem a litte more mature and watchable in public. lol Soredemo wa Mawatteiru is another one that I’ve grown to love watching.

Thanks for blogging this! :}

• December 3, 2010 at 11:58 pmDragoniangirl

I loved this episode, especially the part where they throw salt at Inari. As far as whether or not they’re still following the manga I’m not sure. In the latest chapter I just read they’ve only now gotten to the aquarium.

• December 4, 2010 at 12:03 am7

Need HQ subs ;;

• December 4, 2010 at 12:35 am0leefy

Yup, they’re following the manga indeed. Almost to the tee. So i’m curious how all this is going to be wrapped up o_0

• December 4, 2010 at 2:06 pmMikiya

I’m reading it too and while I don’t think they’ll run out of content, I do hope they keep following the manga and end it somewhere acceptable then just create a second season when there is enough content out. Otherwise, I have no idea how they would end it in only four episodes.
        BTW, the manga is GOOD! I managed the go through all five volumes in around a day, and am avidly awaiting the sixth.

• December 4, 2010 at 2:20 pmMOS

Hi if you don’t mind me asking how are you able to obtain the manga, I’ve been looking but the only place I can find it is on Amazon.jp. Thanks in advance

• December 4, 2010 at 4:56 pmMikiya

@MOS
          I read the RAW’s online, however you can buy volumes 1-6 at beNippon (I’ve heard they are a pretty trustworthy site but I’ve never used their services so I can’t be sure).

• December 5, 2010 at 5:30 amMOS

Thanks for the response I will check it out. The raws that you read are they in japanese or english? Thanks

• December 5, 2010 at 6:02 pmMikiya

@MOS
          RAW – In its most purest form. In this case its referring to the language it was originally written in, being Japanese.
          As far as English translations goes, I’m pretty sure the group has only gone up to chapter six.

• December 6, 2010 at 5:43 amMOS

Ok thanks appreciated

• December 4, 2010 at 12:55 amocswing

Haha, love the chart, nice job!

Fun episode as always, but I’m wondering the same thing. How are they going to finish this with only four episodes left. Should be a fun ride finding out though!

• December 4, 2010 at 1:13 amKiiragi

So I was writing, and as I got to that point, I thought, “Hey, I could make a chart!”
        That chart took me several hours to do, but I believe it’s pretty accurate. The ups and downs even coincide with when it occurred within a particular episode.
        Hopefully people will see it~

• December 4, 2010 at 11:10 amaloneinwonderland

The chart cracked me up. It’s a really accurate portrayal.

• December 6, 2010 at 5:59 amSpacyRicochet

Great chart!

• December 4, 2010 at 1:02 pmShirt

Wooow, lmao! xD

I was reading it and had to stop because of potential spoilers. I haven’t watched this episode or the one prior. :P

• December 4, 2010 at 1:00 amShane

GAH! finally an anime with a strong interesting plot! There have been too much damn moeblob/fan-service shows that anime is not as great as it was a decade ago. Only 11 episodes, shame.

• December 4, 2010 at 1:06 amTiggerz

“…but I only got to second base that night”
      Serious scene bomb diffuse was pretty hilarious, especially coming from seriousface daddy getting blackmailed…

> There’s a chart…
      lol there’s really a chart…

• December 4, 2010 at 1:57 amNhelraios

ouch that’s gotta hurt lol.

@Random Impressions:

1. That scene left me wondering as to why the hell she didn’t notice. though with her bangs covering her eyes lol its almost difficult to see whats happening xD
      2. Bishounen crossdressing> Inari FTW. that big fat liar got owned by Kuranosuke
      3. Good thing he’s not a womanizer lol now that’s a + for me KuranosukexTsukimi <3

Gah at that cloud of inevitable confusion lol :D

• December 4, 2010 at 3:42 amkarayuquex

For that scene, in the manga, immediately after Mayaya burst in, Tsukimi rushed to cover up and pushed Kuranosuke out of the frame/Mayaya’s line of vision. =D

And wow, that chart! That’s… impressive!

And I too wonder how they are going to wrap it up too as Show Spoiler ▼

I sure hope they don’t go for an original ending but instead promise a sequel sometime in the future (after enough material for a second season appears).

• December 4, 2010 at 5:41 amewok40k

@ karayuquex
      Inari has feeings? And for Shuu, of all the unlikely persons?

• December 4, 2010 at 6:55 amInfinitas

Nice review, Kiiragi. Thank you.

• December 4, 2010 at 6:56 amcx

so whats third base?

• December 4, 2010 at 8:27 amkarry

So everyone is rooting for the pairing with the bisexual manslut Kuranosuke ? Why ?

• December 4, 2010 at 8:39 amtoodles

i’m pretty sure that kuranosuke’s straight, and at least he’s the same age as tsukimi. what do you have against him?

• December 5, 2010 at 1:58 pmkuroir

Why call him manslut? lol.

Most of the time those that are too close with women are not that interested in having a sex intercourse at all; unless of course they get physically attracted to them which it seems it’s something hard for someone like Kuranosuke. Not because he has a penis hanging between his legs means he’s automatically a sex machine using his beauty to have sex with any girl willing.

Just saying.

• December 4, 2010 at 9:21 amUpscaled

Kuranosuke’s a strange character. He’s a lot of fun and feels like a good guy. He likes Tsukimi and he’s trying to lead the nuns to battle. But when you look at the facts, he’s actually a lot like Inari:
      1: They’re both beautiful people who know how to take advantage of their looks.
      2: They both have no qualms about lying or using blackmail. In fact, Kuranosuke’s attempt to blackmail his father would have hurt Shuu more than anyone!
      3: They’re both confident and ambitious risk-takers.
      4: They’re both selfish. Kuranosuke rummages through the building looking for things belonging to others to sell, but refuses to consider selling his own expensive clothes and accessories. He broke up Shuu and Tsukimi’s hug in the aquarium in a tantrum. Early on, he ignores Tsukimi’s frequent requests to leave.

• December 4, 2010 at 10:05 amjebnemo

All the more reason Kuranosuke should end up with Tsukimi (and Shuu with Inari).

• December 4, 2010 at 10:25 amUpscaled

If they end up with each other, either Kuranosuke will need to be more careful, or Tsukimi will need to grow a much thicker skin. He’s a walking buzzsaw. She’d be torn to pieces by his antics (unintentionally, of course.)

• December 4, 2010 at 3:02 pmKazu

It’s because he’s like this that he can help Tsukimi grow her self-esteem. Besides, the bit about his clothes is an anime-only thing. In fact in the manga… Show Spoiler ▼

• December 5, 2010 at 5:33 pmUpscaled

Look at the last page of chapter 13 in the manga. It’s there. They just moved things around a bit.

As for your other point:

I’m still not sure what to make of Kuranosuke and how he really feels about the Nuns and Tsukimi. Is he really on their side or does he just find them convenient tools in the pursuit of his ambitions? I love him as a character, but he’s certainly no angel. Maybe Tsukimi is going to soften his edges, and make him a better person.

• December 4, 2010 at 11:23 amalex

chibi Kuranosuke FTW

• December 4, 2010 at 1:36 pmo_shoku

and yet, everything Inari said was true. They were fake eyelashes, and fake boobs (fake hair too).

• December 4, 2010 at 3:29 pmTsuchi

• December 4, 2010 at 5:13 pmhuli

Inari has now been knocked/pushed down by yet another Koibuchi. Wonder if the father will end up doing the same ?

• December 4, 2010 at 10:22 pmChowing

I would totally love a second season if the quality of the show stays the same

• December 5, 2010 at 8:33 amYuumei

How did she take this picture? Her hand is behind her head and there’s no way her other hand could be taking it as it’s under Shu somewhere, or at least below the picture.

• December 5, 2010 at 10:33 amewok40k

What is behind her head is folds on the pillow, not her hand… She is rising her left hand to take the picture.
        I wonder if Inari will get some redeeming qualities later, because for now she’s absolute bitch, no morals, greedy and obsessed with looks on top of all that. Just look at her tirade regarding Kuranosuke’s looks – she almost managed to break his masquerade!

• December 5, 2010 at 10:47 pmsako

I actually think that’s Shuu’s hand coming out from behind her? Like she’s laying on her arm? :o At least that’s what I thought.

• December 5, 2010 at 10:48 pmsako

laying on *his arm

• December 6, 2010 at 5:42 amMOS

Ok thanks (:

• December 6, 2010 at 5:19 pmKing Dragun

Excellent show so far… Anyone knows when they are going to release the OST of this series.?

• December 12, 2010 at 6:33 amSummelBaerli

ha! so Kuranosuke does fall for Non-Makeover-Tsukimi ^^

I disagree with the lovechart… if they had kissed, Tsukimi would’ve totally freaked out and probably wouldn’t forgive Kuranosuke for taking her first kiss forcibly.