Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt – 11 »« Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt – 09

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt – 10

Part 1

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   01 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   02 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   03
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   04 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   05 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   06
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   07 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   08 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   09

「インナーブリーフ」 (Innā Burīfu)
“Inner Brief”

Perhaps one of the few episodes with a title reference that actually plays out in the story, this time being Innerspace, the angels have become small due to a mishap from a ghoul. Brief pisses them off, so for some reason they decide to head into his body and wreak havoc.

Honestly, what can I say? The animation wasn’t horrible, but it sure wasn’t great to look at either. The plot was incredibly weak, with little to no depth other than “angels now stuck in Brief, must get them out,” which was a problem solved within seconds. Your typical Saturday morning cartoon had better writing than this. I suppose it was interesting to see Brief look like a pregnant woman, and the constant examples of Garter’s pedophile nature, but trivial nonetheless.

Part 2

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   10 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   11 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   12
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   13 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   14 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   15
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   16 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   17 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   18
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   19 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   20 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   21
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   22 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   23 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   24

「チャック・トゥ・ザ・フューチャー」 (Chakku tu za Fyūchā)
“Chuck to the Future”

In contrast, this title reference had nothing to do with the story at all, except for the fact that it was split into three parts. So let me try to make sense of the story here: Chuck is the main character, and the story focuses on his small adventure. The first part has him going against Fastener, the Demon sister’s pet sidekick, and the two battle it out like a classic Tom & Jerry episode. Sadly, it was nowhere near as entertaining as a T&J episode, at least until the kitchen scene where they throw each other everywhere. In the end, Chuck manages to “kill” Fastener (I wonder if he’s going to appear again; probably will for inconsistency’s sake), and the first part ends with Chuck being squashed.

The second part has him injured and wanting to urinate but can’t move due to all the bandages. Despite showing excessive healing powers from the first part, he couldn’t manage to heal himself from being splattered by a car. So a fly comes around, pisses him off, he kills it, unleashes a huge wave of flies which picks him up and throws him in a microwave. Somehow the microwave reconstructs him, which seems to be a reference, and then it goes into part three.

Part three is probably the worst. I think they’re trying to reference some creepy movie with an essence of psychological horror here (apparently it’s Eraserhead). Nothing really happens until the end, where Chuck “metaphorically” opens himself up, where the little devil man meets the devil woman who came from Fastener’s head, and then proceed to have sex. Now I’m not sure what kind of message that’s trying to say, with Chuck having to view it like some sort of torture device in his dazed state, but I think it’s something along the lines of this.

Part 3

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   25 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   26 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   27
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   28 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   29 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   30
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   31 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   32 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   33
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   34 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   35 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   36
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   37 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   38 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   39
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   40 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   41 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   42
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   43 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   44 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   45
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   46 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   47 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   48
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   49 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   50 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   10   51

「HELP!二人はエンジェル」 (HELP! Futari wa Enjeru)
“HELP! We are Angels”

I’m not exactly sure what went on for the first 16 minutes or why it happened, but it must have been to make this music video feel more awesome. The “theme” song that’s been occasionally played as background music for a while now is used for this MV, so people that liked it can now hear the full song. If you rip the audio, you’ll pretty much have a clean intact version of this song that will eventually come on the PSG OST due December 29th. A LOT of work must have gone into these 3-4 minutes, as the multiple designs for the homages were quite well done. No half-assery here.

While the first part of the video acts like an intro and their eventual path to fame, the latter showcases a flurry of references to famous artists over the years. I can recognize the obvious ones like the Beatles, GaGa’s “Telephone” MV, Gorrilaz, KISS, and a more obscure one like t.A.T.u., but the other ones I just can’t pinpoint. This one seems to be a band at Woodstock (forgive me if I’m completely off the mark), and these two look really familiar but are just faint memories. I’m sure someone can point out all the references, so please comment if you know them. Hell, even this interview show seems oddly familiar, but I just can’t remember.

To top it all off, you get some naked artist metaphors, and then the band causes a riot which leads to Panty getting arrested (which should be a reference to another famous occurrence in history of a band that did this, but again, I can’t recall). Being an otherwise cool music video that wouldn’t exist due to all the copyright issues (I think), PSG episodes like this will continue to polarize viewers into lovers and haters. Having only three episodes left, I believe the “Battle for Daten City Showdown” will start one ep before the last. If it comes out like the way I’m imagining it will, the series should end on a pretty high note.

Note: This lists out most if not all the references, thanks to MrTerrorist for the link.

December 5, 2010 at 5:52 pm
  • December 5, 2010 at 5:53 pmAlvord12

Whoa… O_O

• December 5, 2010 at 5:56 pmrasone0104

OMFG
    Stocking…..
    playing Guitar…….
    NAKED!!!!!
    (Faints while nosebleeding)

• December 6, 2010 at 2:31 amsunsona

*bass

• December 5, 2010 at 5:56 pmLolwut

The woodstock one is Hendrix

• December 5, 2010 at 5:57 pmder fur shur

the two you had trouble remembering look are most likely to be Sex Pistols and Marylynne Manson, as for the Woodstock one I have no clue either

• December 5, 2010 at 6:00 pmMrTerrorist

Here’s the list of references in the music video.

• December 5, 2010 at 6:03 pmKiiragi

Well there you go. Elvis should have been in my obvious list though, lol. Guess I forgot about him.

• December 5, 2010 at 6:23 pmShirt

Thank you very much. :]

• December 6, 2010 at 8:58 amfathomlessblue

Ooooh, cheers for that. I posted my own list on youtube a few days ago. I didn’t get The Doors reference and mistook the Hendrix/Woodstock to be The Rolling Stones at Woodstock, but otherwise I got the rest, yay!

My personal fave has to be Garterbelt as the cover for, “In the Court of the Crimson King”. The Oasis reference for their video “D’you know what I mean” was also ace.

• December 5, 2010 at 6:04 pmCrystal

Marilyn Manson
    Oasis
    and the part where Panty burns the guitar is a Jimi Hendrix reference

also apparently the part with the head demons having sex is a reference to the movie Eraserhead, though I haven’t seen it

• December 5, 2010 at 6:06 pmCrystal

hnng I’m sorry, when I was writing this comment there was only one comment on here ):

• December 5, 2010 at 6:14 pmShirt

I seriously wanted to kill that Shideto Koyama for writing those Chuck scripts. But they had a nice ending. lol She was getting hammered! They shoulda put up construction cones around those two! xDD

The music video was just as spectacular as when I saw the Transformation Scene for the first time!! Leik, my eyes were wide open and I had this gay smile on my face the entire time! LOL (Glad I was in the comfort of my home for this one.) The different styles of artwork never cease to amaze me in this show. Now that’s some really talented staff for ya~! -inspired-

I got huge kicks outta the references in the video. There was Elvis, KISS, and was that also a ref. to Deftones? (I saw a music video by them that had that same greyscale setting/camera angle..) lmfao @ Shinobi Costumes! xD

My honest opinion:
    Stocking >Sorry Mio.. -_-”
    Panty >Lady Gaga, eat your heart out.
    Garterbelt < Ika Musume~!

omfg I can’t WAIT to get my hands on the OST for PSG! (Hey that rhymes~)

• December 5, 2010 at 6:21 pmMM

I really liked the music video. I liked how they made references to lady gaga, the beatles, andy warhol( banana album), Nirvana, tatu, the gorillas, ven halen(im not to sure about the guitar on fire scene), Marilyn Manson, sex pistols, kiss, linkin park, elvis. I think i am missing a few more artist but the bands above are most of them. I laughed in the beginning when Panty was wearing a gurren lagann jacket. Has to show that Gainax is pretty serious adn awesome especially when the song starts playing

• December 5, 2010 at 6:27 pmGaze of Providence

The guitar burning is a reference to Jimi Hendrix burning his guitar during his performance of Wild Thing at the Monterey Pop Festival.

• December 5, 2010 at 6:25 pmGaze of Providence

A Beatles reference you say? Might actually watch this show now.

• December 5, 2010 at 6:31 pmRevo

The naked scene part of the Music Video strongly reminded me of K-ON!

• December 5, 2010 at 6:39 pmShirt

I haven’t finished watching K-ON!! yet but there’s a naked scene in it!?!? 8D

• December 5, 2010 at 6:44 pmKiiragi

I don’t know what he’s talking about with naked scenes in K-ON, but no, there’s no naked scenes in it. At least, what I remember of it. >_>

• December 5, 2010 at 6:49 pmShirt

..tch- >>”

• December 5, 2010 at 7:13 pmRevo

Well, I meant how Panty was singing to the mic strongly reminded me of Mio singing.

• December 5, 2010 at 7:55 pmomaigawd

Funny how people think of ‘that’ first xD

• December 5, 2010 at 8:24 pmroflcopter

Dunno if this is what he was referring to, but during the first part of the ‘Don’t Say Lazy’ ED they’re kind of naked >_>

• December 5, 2010 at 8:54 pmKiiragi

Yeah, I saw some major similarities to K-ON’s ED afterward. It just feels so random that they’d be referencing K-ON.

• December 5, 2010 at 6:48 pmchaos

well this was weird-i liked the music video part i like the animation when its more detailed wish it would be done more -though the nudity is not requiered

• December 5, 2010 at 6:52 pmShirt

though the nudity is not requiered

…D:

• December 5, 2010 at 8:11 pmPoiira

“Attention everyone, we have decided to censor all nudity and suggestive jokes and themes in PSG. Please enjoy.”

Watchers: ……D:

And then everybody leaves. XD

• December 5, 2010 at 7:19 pmcaramel_cod

• December 5, 2010 at 7:29 pmVsin

Part 1 was altogether pointless and did nothing but repeatedly say “Gartbelt is a pedo”. Though I’m 90% sure that male pregnancy is a fetish somewhere.

Part 2-1 seemed like a generic western comedy chase.

Part 2-2 and 2-3 are practically screaming “THIS IS A REFERENCE TO SOMETHING”, but if you ask me the references are too bloody obscure. Maybe some horror movie nut knows what those are all about.

Part 3 *everbody* here gets to some degree because music culture is way more prominent than old movie culture.

• December 5, 2010 at 7:51 pmpops

the part where chuck gets reconstructed is in reference to the graphic novel and movie Watchmen. there a character named doctor Manhattan who get basically microwaved and ends up reconstructing himself

• December 5, 2010 at 8:51 pmKiiragi

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, I’ve seen Watchmen too! See this is why it was familiar.

• December 5, 2010 at 7:52 pmimo

didn’t like this episode. not even the music video.
    hope next week’s is better.

• December 5, 2010 at 8:01 pmstarss

I think you didn’t even get the third part of “Chunk To The Future”. It was supposed to parody those art student films that no one understands.

• December 5, 2010 at 8:02 pmstarss

Also, I would like to point out that “Chuck To The Future Part II” was done ENTIRELY in CG! You can see it if you watch closely enough.

• December 6, 2010 at 4:12 amDyne

So that’s why it had that ’3D’ in the title :D

• December 5, 2010 at 8:26 pmJatok

At the end of part 2 of the Chuck section he reconstructs himself like Dr. Manhattan of Watchmen fame does.

The third part was a homage to David Lynch’s work specifically the film Eraserhead.

Third one is a bit obscure probably more for the older folk and movie buffs. I suppose I enjoyed the Chuck section because I caught the references. Felt like a filler episode really, but can that even be said for a series such as this?

• December 5, 2010 at 8:41 pmOvercooled

The first part was pretty…off. I was questioning why I was watching it until the music video came on and fixed ALL OF LIFE’S PROBLEMS. It was simply glorious <3 Other than that, I'd just watch the Chuck bit for lulz and skip the first half.

• December 5, 2010 at 8:54 pmSkam

i think that one of the pictures of part 3 is woodstock with panty as Jimmy Hendrix

• December 5, 2010 at 10:04 pmjrj

can’t wait to hear the OST… the song is just pure win…
    though lol at the K-ON reference… that is slightly out of place… but I got to say, Stocking, nice job for imitate Mio :)
    the first two parts… no comments

• December 6, 2010 at 6:19 pmSuzushina Yuriko

Yes, because every time females are seen in a band onstage in an anime it’s automatically a K-ON! reference.

• December 7, 2010 at 9:43 amhautecc

you speaks my words^^

• December 5, 2010 at 10:33 pmKarl

Cant remember the first part. lol.
    But the music video was indeed awesome. Anyone think, that theyre’s a chance, that american oder european tv show this?

• December 5, 2010 at 10:41 pmIan

I have reason to believe the meeting between Chuck and Fastener is their FIRST meeting. After all, the scene in the beginning is from the episode with the Sperm Ghosts and tissue shortage (they mention the paper factory) so Fastener is hardly dead.

• December 5, 2010 at 10:43 pmIan

And what is this “Battle of Daten City Showdown” of which you speak? If this is an unconfirmed speculation, I’d hate to be disappointed.

• December 5, 2010 at 10:44 pmIan

Sorry, I meant “FOR.”

• December 5, 2010 at 10:52 pmKiiragi

Well, I’d like to think there’s no doubt the angels are going to fight the demons once more (because that’s been implied since episode six), and since the demon sister’s “father” is the mayor of Daten City, it seems natural that the fight would determine the fate of the city. Plus, knowing that the director of this show loves epic, fighting for the city would be the obvious choice for awesome. It could happen in a different way, but yes, it’s just the most obvious speculation.

• December 5, 2010 at 10:55 pmVsin

Just something to nag regarding the music video, but…

The episode segment in its entirety is an MTV reference. Note the little box that showed up at the beginning and end of the segment, plus the “PSG” watermark in the top left.

• December 5, 2010 at 11:10 pmBROOKLYN otaku

DIDN’T peep it yet… “need to check my reefer man” but i’m glad they put the song in! been dying to know what the hell the chick was singing *translation please* wud da hell? did they use vocaloid or something to make that track?? catchy as heck, but mumblled

• December 5, 2010 at 11:15 pminfo600

wow, who would’ve thought they can stuff … at least 20 music-related references into 4 minutes of a music video *mind blown*

(agrees to most posters’ comment of the “WTF?” from the first 2 parts)

• December 5, 2010 at 11:29 pmKirino

I want this OST.
    Mostly for the CHOCOLAT song that was on last episode.

• December 6, 2010 at 4:50 amDragonite88

• December 6, 2010 at 5:58 amChan

The music video was awesome it had a lot of references

Elvis
    Jimmy Hendrix (at woodstock)
    Jimmy Hendrix again burning his guitar
    Sex Pistols
    Oasis
    Queen
    T.a.t.u
    Nirvana
    Lady Gaga
    Pink Floyd
    The Velvet Underground
    KISS
    Gorrilaz
    and
    Beatles

• December 6, 2010 at 1:54 pmFreyus

There is also a reference to Bob Dylan. Before the go on stage they show the text “Bangin’ on heaven’s door” a reference to Knockin’ on heaven’s door

• December 6, 2010 at 6:04 pmKai-kun

• December 6, 2010 at 7:57 pmDude

This segment is accentuated with awesomeness by the fail of the earlier segments.

• December 7, 2010 at 10:36 amBertman4

Simply AWESOME!

• December 7, 2010 at 11:49 amScott

I guess if you don’t get the reference to part 3 of Chuck to the Future, then you wouldn’t like it. I know it’s been said before, but it’s referencing Eraserhead kind of, along with some other horror tropes. I really enjoyed it as they seemed to nail down David Lynch’s style of cinematography.

• December 9, 2010 at 1:17 pmTomer

Am I the only one who found the song to very, very average?

• December 19, 2010 at 3:57 amTaiakun

Not too sure, but the whole arrested thing sort of ring’s My Chemcial Romance’s “Desolation Row” where the whole crowd and the band gets arrested, and the band gets thrown into the back of a police truck, and after they shut the door you can still see Gerad’s face.

• December 24, 2010 at 10:03 pmTGS

hmm I can’t tell, is the music video a throwback to MTV or VH1?