STAR DRIVER: Kagayaki no Takuto – 11 »« STAR DRIVER: Kagayaki no Takuto – 09

STAR DRIVER: Kagayaki no Takuto – 10

STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   01 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   02 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   03
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   04 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   05 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   06
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   07 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   08 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   09
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   10 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   11 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   12
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   13 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   14 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   15
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   16 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   17 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   18
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   19 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   20 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   21
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   22 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   23 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   24
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   25 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   26 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   27
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   28 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   29 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   30
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   31 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   32 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   33
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   34 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   35 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   36
STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   37 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   38 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   39

「そしてマリノの初恋」 (Soshite Marino no Hatsukoi)
“And Marino’s First Love”

When it comes to a baseball episode, leave it up to the “springtime of youth idiot” Tsunashi Takuto to draw wary eyes from all the Kiraboshi Juuji Dan members with his dazzling play style. From Mizuno staring in awe to Marino getting back at Takuto for her sister’s sake, what started as a lighthearted affair turned into a heated jealous one once Takumi (i.e. Sword Star) found himself attracted to very acting leader that he agreed to toss aside once Vanishing Age is done with her. The only thing that topped his self-made rivalry with Takuto this episode were the “funnels” Tauburn busted out in Zero Time. It’s just too bad Takuto didn’t shout out, “Ike! <something>!” to complete the Gundam vibe they gave off. Anyway, the use of Tauburn’s new ability does make be wonder if it’ll be as overpowered as its Gundam counterpart, in which case it would take the already lopsided battles and make them even more so. At the moment I suspect that they aren’t, seeing as Star Sword’s variation was only a first phase ability. Whatever the case, its introduction only reaffirmed that the Kiraboshi members really need to upgrade their Cybodies to the third phase to make these battles more interesting.

Luckily, while the battles have been rather stagnant, the character developments haven’t. The recent addition of the You sisters has allowed the series to change gears since Sakana’s departure, and this most recent episode goes a step further by featuring Mizuno’s “Innocent Blue” song to fill in for her “Monochrome” one. As the maiden that the brigade is searching for now, Mizuno stirred things up almost immediately by falling for Takuto, which I enjoy watching simply for the spillover effect on Wako. Marino on the other hand has quickly become the character I have my eye on the most, since she’s working on the inside to prevent the her sister’s true identity from getting out. Naturally, that paves way for what I foresee as an eventual betrayal on her part — something that seems a lot more probable after learning that Marino likes Takuto too. Considering her interactions with him during the baseball game (including Takuto face-planting into her chest), that doesn’t come as too much of a surprise, but I still loved that look of disbelief in her eyes when Mizuno’s implication of it sunk in.

From a character standpoint, the prospect of seeing a tough girl like Marino falling in love piques my interest a fair bit (particularly with Hirohashi Ryou voicing her), but from an overall plot one, I’m admittedly not too fond of how this is quickly developing into a harem for Takuto. The reason being, Sugata’s shown that he’d accept a relationship between Wako and Takuto, so the thought of having Mizuno and Marino thrown into the mix sort of devalues his altruistic stance. It’s bad enough that he’s been sidelined as a support character who gets pulled into Zero Time only to watch Takuto handle everything on his own, when he’s the one with the almighty King Cybody Samekh yet not allowed to use its powers. As such, I can’t help but feel that Sugata’s getting the short end of the stick on various fronts, so I’m eagerly waiting for the moment he gets put in the spotlight for a change. To that end, the childhood friendship that he and Wako have with Keito might provide such an opportunity in the future, considering that “Ivrogne’s” true intentions aren’t all that clear.

In the meantime, the additional backstory showing how Mizuno and Marino’s mother Fujino (Hidaka Noriko) left them behind in search of their (supposedly) deadbeat father reemphasized to me that there’s little to no chance that Marino would side with the brigade over her sister. Their sisterly bond is simply too strong, which is likely due to the fact that Mizuno looked out for Marino when they were younger. With that in mind and Vanishing Age’s plans to get rid of her once they use her Cybody to locate the western maiden, I think it’s only a matter of time before Manticore jumps ship and joins Takuto and the others. After all, Takuto is the only other person who truly believes in Mizuno’s protective incantations and has become a common interest like ice cream flavors too. Those have got to count for something.

Blogging Note: Over the past couple of months, it’s become more and more apparent that Suzuku isn’t able to keep up with his shows, so I’ll be covering STAR DRIVER and To Aru no Majutsu no Index II from now on. I consider them fairly “big” titles so I’d like to see them covered in a more timely manner. I may or may not continue with MM, considering that adding two more shows already puts me at twelve. Luckily, Hakuouki Hekketsuroku just ended.

STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   Preview 01 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   Preview 02 STAR DRIVER Kagayaki no Takuto   10   Preview 03
December 9, 2010 at 2:51 am
  • December 9, 2010 at 2:54 am♛Croosboy♛

i felt Yagami Light in this episode

• December 9, 2010 at 6:35 amstaidone

ya the pink and baby blue t-shirts really reminded me of him

• December 9, 2010 at 8:25 amEvilROB

ROFL xD

• December 9, 2010 at 12:38 pmPitcher

Eru: Let’s play a game of baseball, Raito.
        Raito: Oh, you want to hold my bat that badly, do you, Eru?
        Eru: I’d rather hold your balls to be quite honest.

• December 9, 2010 at 2:57 amNhelraios

woah Divine is taking over!!Good work Divine, but considering that you have to do the winter preview and the best of 2010 isn’t this too much work??

Funny baseball episode. No monochrome = meh

• December 9, 2010 at 2:57 amunlisted

Monochrome is replaced with an equally good song.

• December 9, 2010 at 8:02 amTrystinia

Mizuno’s song <3

• December 9, 2010 at 9:27 amShirt

Woot~!

I’m also a big fan of the change in artwork on the bus. :D

• December 9, 2010 at 1:01 pmexia

I actually like the new song better than monochrome. Sue me.

• December 9, 2010 at 3:17 pmShirt

I’ll be your Lawyer. :P

• December 9, 2010 at 11:24 pmTrystinia

This song was an instant hit to my ears, while monochrome took me a few listens to like. No suing go on here!

• December 9, 2010 at 3:09 amaiueo123

Hmmm… I still can’t understand what Ya Ga Dansei mean. I can understand it literally, but it doesn’t really make sense literally like Katami and Wakachita O_O.

• December 9, 2010 at 3:13 amDivine

I’m actually not too sure either, outside of the literal meaning of each part of it. If you Google it, various Japanese bloggers are wondering as well.

片身、分かちた、矢が男性

• December 9, 2010 at 4:57 amtama

katami wakachita yagadanse
      →sendagaya tachikawa mitaka
      →千駄ヶ谷 立川 三鷹
      →東京都中央線の駅名

• December 9, 2010 at 3:34 amjrj

thanks for the post, Divine!!
    Takuto is harem builder… don’t turn into a certain “kiss machine” :D
    GN shield bits discovered this episode… Lock-on like person sighted in the end.
    and by the way, isn’t the bad guy called “sword star” instead of “star sword”? Just checking here…

• December 9, 2010 at 3:56 amJaden

Woah! Taking over two big shows on top of everything else, that’ll be rough. It’s a good thing you’re well.. “Divine”. Hope Suzuku’s okay though, it looks like he’s getting busier by the day.

STAR DRIVER was pretty good this week considering the past few episodes have been a little stale for me. Mizuno in awe was my definite highlight and I’m really looking forward to Keito’s story and her relationship with Wako and Sugata. The new song was okay-ish, I mean not that it’s bad it’s just that monochrome was better.

Oh and I call dibs that the fluffy head-accessory-thing on top of Tauburn will also become a weapon, probably. ^^

• December 9, 2010 at 3:59 amCommie Nust

hey he finally used those hip things…i thought they were for decoration purposes

• December 9, 2010 at 4:01 amGuest

Gah, I liked Suzaku’s Index coverage. It’s interesting seeing things from a novel readers point of view.

• December 9, 2010 at 5:53 amamado

yeah, I think Suzuku should at least keep to aru majutsu no index since he read the novel and hel know the differences between the anime. maybe he can just double the ep review if he’s too busy…

• December 9, 2010 at 12:04 pmDivine

That won’t be happening. Every week something “new” came up for him, and he’d always miss the time frames he set for himself and informed me about. It got to the point that I had to do something about it.

• December 9, 2010 at 4:16 ampedobear

The hip things actually won’t work without believing in someone, so he got lucky that time otherwise he would be prompted to use the forbidden secret weapon which his father don’t want him to use as it puts him in jeopardy as well. (I just came up with this speculations)

Some compares Katami Wakachita Yagadanse literally means “believe in me, who believe in yourself.”

• December 9, 2010 at 4:19 ampedobear

Ivrogne is the East Maiden.

• December 9, 2010 at 4:27 amCommie Nust

i think you need a spoiler tag for that

• December 9, 2010 at 4:52 amPoiira

Well it’s implied pretty strongly, but yeah, spoiler tags plz

• December 9, 2010 at 12:05 pmDivine

As this is an original series, I’m okay with this not being in spoiler tags.

• December 9, 2010 at 4:20 amZone

The baseball match were really nice and funny.
    Mizuno new song were good, though I still prefer monochrome better. This was probably due to the fact that monochrome was more suitable to be played during the pre-battle scene.

• December 9, 2010 at 4:42 amsora

so now divine will take Star Driver? good grief!

• December 9, 2010 at 5:02 amM

This story concept is…
    “Only girls is good. When them all died?”

• December 9, 2010 at 5:50 amamado

so your gonna pick up star driver and to aru majutsu no index huh, Divine.

I already commented on other sites about this ep so il make a slight diff one: I hope we get some twincest and yuri vibes or a twin threesome fantasy(look it up in tv tropes, im too lazy to link it again) on the you sisters.

• December 9, 2010 at 6:10 amYuumei

I think it’ll be interesting for the childhood friendship with Keito to come into play again especially if something happens between her and Sugata. I wonder why she’s not as close as to them anymore and when that happened.

Incidentally, does anyone know any good forums or whatever for Star Driver?

• December 9, 2010 at 7:02 amreader

y do i think keito is a maiden? is it because it looks like all the maidens sat on the bus when north maiden said *good luck*?

• December 9, 2010 at 7:23 amder fur shur

never before as baseball been so FABULOUS!

• December 9, 2010 at 7:38 amSilentCid

When watching this episode I had a case of deja vu as I saw what look like Gundam throne fangs and a Setsuna_F._Seiei piloting (Mamoru Miyano voices Takuto and Setsuna).

• December 10, 2010 at 4:29 amJello

Yeah, the voice acting really completes the entire deja vu effect.

Head’s voice actor also gets me. Reminds me of Nagi from My-Hime.

• December 9, 2010 at 7:49 amHenDarou

It’s funny, normally I’m not into the “hyperactive cutie”-kind of character, but Mizuno is overpoweringly cute. I’d say that she’s my favorite character along with Takuto. They’d make a great pair, too. Sadly I suppose that he’ll end up with Wako the bland. :P

• December 9, 2010 at 8:09 amchaos

it does feel like takudo is building a harem though i don’t know about wako she likes him but i can’t tell who her major interest is. Im kind of interested to see what the twins do when they admit to each other that they are both in love with the same guy. If its going to turn into a standard triangle or if they will accept that they both care for him. This is one of the major plot points im interested in seeing.

• December 9, 2010 at 8:52 amRuu27

I’m was really impressed how the animation budget went up in this episode especially in the baseball game. :P

In my personal opinion Star Driver is the best show this season. SO FABULOUS!

• December 9, 2010 at 9:23 amAsta

Personally, character wise Mizuno > Fish-girl but Monochrome > Innocent Blue

• December 9, 2010 at 9:26 amShirt

Mizuno looks fantastic in that jumpsuit. <3

• December 9, 2010 at 9:51 amRickyMack

oh man i didn’t know jumpsuit could be applied to those, i hear jumpsuit and think of mechanics =P i always considered them overalls =D sadly i don’t see many ladies rockin ‘em nowadays. i personally think they’re damn sexy when pulled off right, such as your example.

• December 9, 2010 at 3:04 pmBluance

Aqua Timez win!

• December 9, 2010 at 3:31 pmShirt

I always tell people.. As an artist, I think women look better with their clothes on. Leaves room for imagination~ I wonder if I can find anything like that in Manhattan. I have a friend who’s short and “right at every angle”. Perfect for cosplaying. She knows it too. :}

lmao at the Gravity Poster. The single is pretty good. Try riding your bike and listening to it. It’s comical how motivated to petal you get. xDD

• December 9, 2010 at 10:14 aminfo600

gotta love the actions of an ignorant youth…

…as Takuto’s insanely naive about the girls’ feelings within his “harem”.

another thing, “backup” in zero time combat?

• December 9, 2010 at 10:35 amFreya

Divine going to blog Star Driver?!?! YEAHYEAHEYEAHEYEAHYEAH!!!! :]

• December 9, 2010 at 11:56 amfirecow

What happened to Suzuku anyway Divine?

• December 9, 2010 at 12:40 pmDivine

Without getting into all the details, the short version is that he’s shown he isn’t cut out for blogging so I had to let him go. I actually haven’t heard from him in several days, but I’ve already talked to him about this on multiple occasions.

• December 9, 2010 at 3:23 pmShirt

Why do I feel like I should be ashamed of myself ._O”

• December 9, 2010 at 12:15 pmSynkronized

Thanks for keeping Star Driver and Index on the list of shows Divine.

I’ll miss Suzuku.

• December 9, 2010 at 1:26 pmMMBinNC

If you need any more bloggers starting in January, I could help out. Just shoot me an email.

• December 9, 2010 at 1:33 pmDivine

Thanks for the offer. It’s gotten to the point that I want to keep this a close-knit operation though. Takaii’s proven to be really reliable and Kiiragi’s branched off to cover currently airing shows instead of One Piece, so I’m happy with the writers we have right now.

• December 11, 2010 at 4:33 pmSora no Kaze

Meh, as said I would, but the thing that hinders me is I would need to do the Simulcast shows. I don’t got a great background in Japanese unfortunately. And sorry to hear about Suzuku, his Index column was interesting. I mean, if you ever do need one, I don’t mind pulling a simulcast account or however the works and start writing away.

• December 9, 2010 at 3:21 pmShirt

Man.. I wish I could write as well as you guys. Even if it wasn’t for RC, I’d just enjoy writing like you guys. It’d make me a better conversationalist too. -depression-

I can still give you my money though~! ;9

• December 9, 2010 at 1:58 pmKelfistan

Is Suzu still going to blog MM! at least, or are you going to cover all his shows?

• December 9, 2010 at 3:27 pmconyo985

• December 9, 2010 at 3:32 pmShirt

LMAO!

• December 9, 2010 at 3:55 pmTheUltimateBlogger

Divine, i’ll happily blog these shows for you! =]

• December 9, 2010 at 8:21 pmArabesque

It’s a huge shame that Suzuku wont be at least covering Index, as I loved reading his thoughts on that series. I can understand why Divine had to let him go, but I can’t help but feel that it was the amount of shows and the time of year (this time period is usually hectic for uni students) that made Suzuku fall back.

On the actual episode, I actually thought that Marino believed in her sisters spells?

• December 10, 2010 at 4:33 amJello

She does. What Marino meant when she scolded Mizuno was that no one else believed the spells, and that Mizuno should just save her breath. Marino thought she would be the ONLY one that believed in the spells.

• December 10, 2010 at 12:17 amVermillion

Is it just me or the next enemy have the same Star Sword as the guy in third episode?

• December 10, 2010 at 4:46 pmBeatslars

I really enjoyed this episode a whole lot. There sure was a lot of depth with the characters, during the baseball match. I am just very curious to see if we will find out the history about the island. Also why did the fish girl leave? So many unanswered questions. I still am loving this series though.

• December 11, 2010 at 3:01 amdorasaga

Had anyone noticed how Marino is the new Wako?

The two are parallel.

Wako is the “Big Tough,” who wants to protect the island and her man.

Marino protects her sister.

It’s somehow like a Shakespearian juxtaposition, only that Wako sings much better, while Marino can play balls (no pun intended).

• December 11, 2010 at 3:23 amThe Enigmatic Moondoggiebuiscuit

The new song Innocent Blue is just as good as Monochrome… Though now I got 2 songs to watch-out for…

• December 11, 2010 at 5:07 amHagiri

Ike !!! Fang !!!

• December 11, 2010 at 9:58 amThe Story You Don’t Know

I’d rather take that “Harem Builder” than have another Boat Ending :)

• December 12, 2010 at 7:25 pmcshin9