Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai – 12 (END) »« Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai – 10

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai – 11

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   01 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   02 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   03
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   04 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   05 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   06
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   07 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   08 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   09
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   10 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   11 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   12
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   13 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   14 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   15
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   16 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   17 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   18
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   19 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   20 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   21
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   22 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   23 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   24
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   25 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   26 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   27
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   28 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   29 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   30
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   31 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   32 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   33
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   34 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   35 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   36
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   37 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   38 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   39

「おしまいの日」 (Oshimai no Hi)
“The Last Day”

Books, books, and more books. They may have been a mere plot device to drive Shiori’s arc, but they were used impeccably to give off a surreal conclusion to it as well. Compared to the previous two episodes, a surprising amount of detail went into the mountain of books in the background too, making this week’s one a notch above in terms of production value. In contrast, the actual amount of plot progression was relatively short, despite the three episodes allocated to Shiori’s story. There wasn’t a whole lot that Keima had to do to win her over since he more or less remained himself to do so (reaffirming my suspicion that a quiet girl like Shiori would be a good match for him). Most of his actual “work” came from trying to understand Shiori’s inner monologue and figuring out how to approach her to get her to open up to him and the rest of the world. As a result, very little actually happened on screen and made this come off as a relatively uneventful arc altogether. All we really saw happen were two instances where Keima purposely offended Shiori’s love of books to get some sort of a verbal response out of her last time. At no point did I ever get a sense that Shiori was falling for him, so there wasn’t any build-up in the romance department either. Because of that, this was far from how I was hoping this arc would unfold. I would’ve much preferred to see Shiori start showing some signs that she sees Keima as something more than a person she could talk to, even though that was already a big step forward for her.

All things considered, this was probably a two and a half episode arc at best, after our lovable Elsie made episode nine as much hers as Shiori’s. Most of the time was invested in showcasing all the nuances to the quiet, reserved female stereotype, rather than working towards getting a romantic response out of her, making me believe it was a conscious decision to make this whole arc play out like an eroge tutorial on librarian girls. Assuming that’s the case, Shiori’s story did work well in highlighting her shyness and showing how she confided in books as her safe haven from the world. Naturally, that made this entire arc more about Keima helping Shiori overcome her social problem by becoming the person who gives her the courage, instead of winning her heart and making her fall passionately in love with him. Of course, one could easily perceive the former leading to the latter, if they buy into the idea that Keima’s kiss instantly changed Shiori’s opinion of him from a supportive friend to a potential boyfriend. Quite honestly, I’m a bit on the fence about that one, but I do appreciate the sentiment they were going for and really loved the scene with all the scattered books when Keima helped her up and pulled her in for the kiss. Looking back, it was easily the most dramatic kiss thus far, and helped offset the lack of romantic feelings in the air leading up to it. However, it only ended up making the entire arc feeling better than average and not “amazingly awesome” like it could have been if there was more focus on the relationship aspect. Mind you, that’s coming from someone who really enjoyed watching the emotional changes in the girls in previous arcs, and was looking forward to seeing them in Shiori as well.

Regardless, I did enjoy seeing a few different cute sides to Shiori’s character, whether it was from her embarrassed reactions or her inner thoughts when Keima upset her. The addition of the first and fifth verses of the opening theme “God only knows” gave this episode a very different feel as well, befitting of the fairy tale-like finish. Things even left off in a way that had me wishing I’d get to see more of Shiori when she somehow caught onto the indirect kiss with Keima, who didn’t make it all that clear from his game selection whether he’s had enough of librarian girls. As such, I did like this arc more than I’m probably letting off, even though it didn’t go the way I was hoping it would. Anyway, next episode is the last until the continuation airs next spring, which the preview liked to joke around a bit with.

* Manglobe slipped in a plug for one of their previous works, Ergo Proxy.

ED7 Sequence

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   ED7   01 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   ED7   02 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   ED7   03

ED7: 「コイノシルシ」 (Koi no Shirushi) by 神のみぞ知り隊 feat. 汐宮栞 starring 花澤香菜 (Kami nomi zo Shiri-tai feat. Shiomiya Shiori starring Hanazawa Kana)
Watch the 7th ED!: Download, Streaming ▼

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai   11   Preview 01
December 15, 2010 at 8:40 pm
  • December 15, 2010 at 8:46 pm♛Croosboy♛

The animation in this episode was far from what i expected. adding the op song in the some part of the episode was fitting that i didnt know i was already being played. it was very good of that they put some additional story in Shiori’s arc. In this episode i feel that i have no regrets

• December 15, 2010 at 8:49 pmZanibas

Yes or no…that is the ultimate question to ponder…

I agree with the post for the most part though: it was sweet and sentimental and I liked it, but it felt a bit rushed in the development. Whereas I felt Kanon had dragged on a bit too long, I felt that Shiori required a bit longer, since seeing that change of “speaking up” more could’ve been more profound with more time.

However, I find it funny that the first book Shiori reads is quite a complex one with a…Latin title? She must’ve been quite the advanced elementary schooler in her day :D.

• December 15, 2010 at 8:50 pmGaze of Providence

Loved this episode, Part 1 and the last part (I think) of Oratorio The World God Only Knows was played during this episode.

• December 15, 2010 at 9:16 pmsolarguardian

And so ends the chapter of my favorite girl with an Inception ending. Grrr… but still, really loved this arc. The pacing was slow, sure, but it was nice and calming. It was… gentle. I really loved the scene with the books falling, I was really impressed because I just didn’t expect it. All in all, I just really liked this arc probably more than most.

• December 15, 2010 at 9:22 pmnice

what? i didn’t noticed the op song being played until you pointed it out to me.. those parts might not be in the tv size version of the song.

for me it was the most heart warming scene in the series. you’re right about the romantic aspect but it isn’t the point in the story. isn’t it bad not to feel good about having keima save a hopeless girl who doesn’t seek out help. Keima presented himself as Shiori’s salvation to her fears.

• December 15, 2010 at 9:28 pmDivine

Yeah, you have to be familiar with the full version of the song to recognize them.

The opening theme is only the third verse.

• December 15, 2010 at 9:57 pmnice

thanks for enlightening me! Third verse? that is odd.. anime songs out there seems to dedicate a minute and a half to the series and just extends the song with another verse (which sounds very same as the 1st verse and it looks made up just to sell a single) and a refrain to spice it up.

to my surprise, the full version of the song is about 8 minutes long and divided by 5 chapters.. and the choir part is in english.. or engrish perhaps…

The song made a good impact on shiori’s route…

• December 15, 2010 at 9:22 pmstarss

Elsie’s got only one screen grab here. No wonder she’s not into it! :D

• December 15, 2010 at 9:52 pmbga2099

You should see the omakes where she tells Keima how importatnt was her part in some captures.

But speaking of the episode a good one and I don’t know if everybody felt that this episode was carried at a pace the whole time and didn’t feel sluggish or quick just what the capture needed between the flashbacks, the songs, the books, and at last the first real conversation between Keima and Shiori.

• December 15, 2010 at 10:05 pmRickyMack

haha just picked up the full version of the song. man totally reminds me of the ar tonelico soundtrack, which i’ve been listening to a lot recently

• December 15, 2010 at 10:09 pmStiyl Magnus

@Divine – screenies for the next ep/flag 12… hope you add this shots in your next episode preview…

all came from kaminomi.jp… the next episode is a finishing filler… the episode happened before kanon’s arc in manga

• December 15, 2010 at 10:11 pmBluance

I think Keima picked the route that library girls are his type and just be direct. The relationship seemed very mutual, 2d / imaginary > 3d. Nice episode of course needs more Elsie. ^^

• December 15, 2010 at 10:14 pmRickyMack

sadly though, while there are some interesting stories, he’s got a lot more captures until the story actually starts steering away from the monster/capture of the week format. spring’s not gonna be able to cover it. hopefully we can get some haqua in there!

• December 15, 2010 at 10:21 pmFat Cat Lim

Love the symbolism of the books spilling over and covering Shiori – as much as she claims that books are her fortress, it is also her prison, giving her a convenient excuse to shy away from human interaction. The glow of the PSP…err, I mean PFP display which looked like a door was a nice added touch. And the scene of Keima deftly pulling Shiori out of her cocoon of books to kiss her and give her courage was beautiful. Definitely the standout episode of the series.

• December 16, 2010 at 12:06 amPhosphatide

Of course you loved this arc. Shiori’s the best.

• December 16, 2010 at 12:56 amewok40k

Not bad episode, especially with Shiori finally managing to talk with her librarians team :)
    Keima seems to hint on sequel for the series, definitely I hope for one.

• December 16, 2010 at 1:40 aminuyasha94588

Lucky you, there’s already going to be a second season!

• December 16, 2010 at 1:47 amjrj

hmmm… I am a bit disappointed about this episode I guess… the emotional build-up toward the kiss isn’t all that strong, and much of the episode was still devoted to Shiori and her flashbacks… Keima didn’t do much at all. oh well, at least the effects of the book is still cool, and of course, PFP light is still awesome!
    Guess next episode will make this open-ended show for the season 2?

• December 16, 2010 at 1:54 amamado

they really did a good job with this arc.
    twgok anime is really nice unlike several other anime when they animate the manga version. while they did extend it more than the manga, it actually felt in place and provided more background on shiori.

I wonder how they will wrap up the first season. maybe the last ep will be the chapter where elsea sees keima in “capturing god” mode and doing 6 gal games simultaneously, or maybe they’re just gonna make cliffhanger about haqua.

• December 16, 2010 at 6:46 amponpon22

hmmmm, I’m wondering why it was okay for Keima to give Shiori courage but not Kanon.

• December 16, 2010 at 8:07 amSkiks

Two different extremes. Kanon relied too heavily on other people so that had to change. On the other hand Shiori did not rely on anyone and completely isolated herself. Shiori needed to allow other people in her life so she could become a better person while Kanon needed to stop relying on the opinion of others so much.

• December 16, 2010 at 8:16 amCelestialEssence

I can’t wait till the next season comes around … this season felt too much like the epilogue before the real story xD

• December 16, 2010 at 8:27 amAnimedude

• December 16, 2010 at 10:44 amShirt

The first part of the opening theme made the beginning of the episode so epic. I seriously can’t get some parts out of my head.

And Keima was uber heroic In the end. Definitely the coolest moment in the show for me. Right up there with the thoughtfulness put into the track shoes gift in the first arc.

• December 16, 2010 at 12:09 pmAoihoshikage

Wow, I felt like I was watching an anime movie for this episode. I’m pleasantly surprised by the quality of this series. *thumbs up to Manglobe* And this is coming from someone who avidly reads the manga. I for one look forward to the next season!

• December 17, 2010 at 12:55 amSnicket

Well that was a nice way to end this arch. Though the ending was a bit sudden. Sudden heroic kiss, bam the spirit comes out. Kinda expecting it to span to the final episode, with some sort of bitter conclusion or a happier ending…or something.

• December 17, 2010 at 7:35 amX

Hmm Shiori or Tenri or Kannon or Elsea??? AHHHH It’s sooo hard to choose! Screw it! Go HAREM END!

• December 17, 2010 at 1:55 pmkazukifafner

I don’t think the game question at the very end had to do specifically with the character herself. I get the feeling that it’s more of a reaction to the fact that all of these girls he pursues forgets about him afterwords. The “Yes/No” question was symbolic to the fact that in the real world his only option is “No”.

• December 19, 2010 at 12:55 ammari