« Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt – 12

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt – 13 (END)

Part 1

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   01 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   02 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   03
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   04 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   05 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   06
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   07 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   08 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   09
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   10 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   11 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   12
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   13 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   14 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   15
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   16 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   17 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   18
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   19 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   20 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   21

「ビッチガールズ」 (Bitchi Gāruzu)
“Bitch Girls”

After taking several deep breaths, I am going to attempt to try and blog this in a fashionable manner, even though I am just floored at what I have seen in the last 10 minutes. First and foremost, let’s begin with part 1.

Using the Bad Boy films as the reference in titles this time, very fittingly I might add, the story continues from last time with Panty thrown out by Garterbelt, and soon she finds herself puking at the sight of sex. Rock bottom? Check. After a montage of sorts, she’s now living as a farm girl enjoying the pleasures of a simple life, only to have them all taken away. Revenge motivation with newfound motto? Check. The fact that this was all just as planned by Garterbelt? Holy Check. So with the awesome trademark Imaishi empowerment speeches, Panty takes helm and sexes up Brief with the line, “but right now, you’re number one,” harking back romantically to the last episode, and slamming it on home with the realization that this is the virginity of an angel, “the purest of the pure.” You jealous?

And right on time, Stocking appears, Panty gets back her powers, and all is well! Let it be known, that this is as far as my sane mind could speculate from the last episode, for the next part has turned it all to mush.

Part 2

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   22 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   23 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   24
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   25 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   26 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   27
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   28 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   29 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   30
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   31 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   32 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   33
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   34 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   35 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   36
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   37 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   38 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   39
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   40 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   41 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt   13   42

「ビッチガールズ2ビッチ」 (Bitchi Gāruzu Tsū Bitchi)
“Bitch Girls 2 Bitch”

While the second part started off relatively normal for PSG standards, with the disturbing imagery and sexual innuendos everywhere, it quickly turned my mouth into a continuous factory of “WHAT THE FUCK?” I’m not usually one to use such words in writing, but WTF is pretty accurate in this case.

But sure, we’ll begin from the start. With powers in hand, the battle breaks out with demons against angels, and garter against corset, pulling out all the stops for the animation. I have to admit, I lol’d at the battle between bondage methods. However, because Panty completely reverted in character from sympathetic romantic to selfish bitch again, instantly ignoring Brief once more, Corset’s plan goes right through, unlocking the gates of hell, and unleashing a giant… penis. I mean okay, a giant penis, haha right? Then all of a sudden, Garter dies, Chuck turns into some huge monster, Fastener does the same, they make battle, Chuck wins, thrashes the penis, and the angels create a motherload of a weapon using god knows what to create an incredibly badass gattai-esque weapon, and proceed to fire it… backwards. THE SKY LIGHTS UP, FLASHING RAYS POUR DOWN, THE MIGHTY POWER OF HEAVEN PARTS THE CLOUDS, AND DOWN COMES A FUCKING SHOE, THEN STOCKINGS, THEN THIGHS, THEN PANTIES, CRUSHING THE DOOR OF HELL, SLAMMING CORSET AGAINST THE GROUND WITH BEAUTIFUL IRONY, ALL IN ONE MOTION SYMBOLIZING THE ANGELS, THE POWER OF HEAVEN, AND ABOVE ALL, GAINAX. Imaishi, never change.

Whilst still reeling from the constant barrage of mindfuck, I had figured it was all over by the time the credits lit up on the screen. Okay, I thought, this was pretty damn good. Suddenly,

“Hey, do you think angel weapons could work on angels?”

wait, what are you.. OH MY GO-

Is this what we call the Gainax troll? I am not too familiar, but if it exists, I believe this is it. Season two? Gainax MUST be joking. Since the premise is pretty interesting, and due to the new location of it being in the realistic looking town, an S2 could be really awesome. If it exists. Better pray that DVD/BD special will be it.

You want to know my reaction to the end of this series? This is what I think, and this is a collection of my faces. Don’t get me wrong, I am not in the least disappointed. In fact, this is way better than the safe and predictable end that I had expected. As a result, I am balls to the wall in shock, and very satisfied that the series ended on such a ridiculous finale. Even though Panty reverted back to her old self, and any signs of epic buildup were deflated by Panty and Stocking’s careless attitudes, it showed that PSG was sticking with its roots. It wasn’t about to go turn itself into a TTGL ending, though it was halfway there already, but instead opted to stay, well, PSG. In fact, I’m pretty sure Imaishi created some new form of epic, one that is incomprehensible due to the large amounts of “whatisthisidon’teven”. You could say he has sought after a greater epic after TTGL, a tier higher, one that is above the heavens, and my friends, I believe he has grasped that level. The man now possesses the knowledge of blowing people’s minds.

Final Impressions
I began PSG not expecting anything (seems like a good habit to develop nowadays). In fact, I didn’t even choose to blog PSG to start with, and might not have followed it all the way through if I wasn’t. This was the show’s main downfall, with jokes that fell flat most of the time because of their simplicity and shallowness, and the references that never really meant anything other than a moment of “oh cool, I know what they’re referencing to!” Besides episodes one, six, twelve, and thirteen, the other ones seemed to be just careening around, mostly as a monsters of the week scheme to give a feeling of attachment to the arc as a whole, a cheap tactic often employed in mahou shoujo. It’s because of these episodes that make PSG hard to recommend, and this is not even considering the deviant artstyle and juvenile-like humor of which I can enjoy, but many do not.

However, PSG is pretty honorable in that it set out to do something and stuck with it. In reference to wiki, Imaishi said, “The theme of the anime is ‘vulgar and indecent jokes’ [so] if we are going to do this, we will try it thoroughly.” Now if you look at PSG as just a vehicle for “vulgar and indecent jokes,” it’s a pretty damn good anime now isn’t it? A ridiculous finale or story was never the goal, but who’s complaining? The animation is quirky but excellent, reaching maximum blast in the final episode, and if you’re addicted to the adrenaline rushes TTGL or FLCL can give with electrifying music to boot, PSG is a must watch. Anti-moe or not, people have been wanting an anime like this, and they’ve got it. PSG is something that’s definitely unique in the anime universe, and is probably controversial even on Japanese airwaves. It is a mash of writers on alcohol, stuffing each episode with as many things as possible, embracing different ways to pull off the next sex joke, and if you think about it, something that you’ll probably never see air again. Really, it’s almost sad that it’s all over. So go see it, be a part of history (lol) and enjoy the freedom that is possible to be expressed in this world today, because you never know when another studio is going to allow a bunch of people to animate an idea they had when they were drunk.

Tune in next time for… Brief & Chuck with Garterbelt: The Demon Sister’s Alliance

December 25, 2010 at 4:17 pm
  • December 25, 2010 at 4:33 pmSilivious

I….lol’d, so hard, at this episode. XD So odd, and yet so awesome.

• December 25, 2010 at 5:26 pmKiiragi

You know, this episode made my Christmas.

• December 25, 2010 at 4:35 pmgarfield15

“because you never know when another studio is going to allow a bunch of people to animate an idea they had when they were drunk.”

Ain’t that the Lord’s truth.

• December 25, 2010 at 4:37 pmTrinitystar

this ep was just….i dont even know. i cant tell you how much i was flippin out at my laptop screen when Show Spoiler ▼

nonetheless. i did enjoy this all. but i have no idea what to make of the next season (IF THERE IS ONE) … yep thats about it O__O;

• December 25, 2010 at 4:38 pmTROLL

GAINAX ENDING MAXIMUM TROLLING

• December 26, 2010 at 6:31 ambgi

i’d say more like “GAINAX! MAXIMUM! OVERTROLL!”

• December 25, 2010 at 4:46 pmmrman

lol the last 30 seconds – I love it.
    Stocking is still the best.
    (Way better than Gurren Lagann ending which was just sad)

• December 25, 2010 at 4:47 pmmrman

well I am just referring to the last seconds of the Gurren Lagann ending of course

• December 25, 2010 at 4:51 pmassholemon

i fucking loved the gainax ending.

And yes, my mind was full of fak in that moment, the anime itself its unique with a diferent art style and i don’t regret watching this anime, in fact i think it was well spend time.

• December 25, 2010 at 4:56 pmSeventhmoon

Hahahahaha I think we all had one of those faces as we watched this. So are they trolling about a second season too?

• December 25, 2010 at 5:02 pmTrikkedUp

The premise for the new series seems exciting if the two Demon sisters are now going to be the anti-heroes, joining forces with Brief, who definitely needs to have a confidence-upgrade (a la Simone – age-arc – season 2 gurren lagaan) to collect the pieces of Panty as they make their way to the center of the city, which should form the fabric of a much more cohesive plot (out of necessity this time) than this opening season. Its like a much more twisted version of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles now except instead of collecting memories – its collecting pieces of the corpse!

• December 25, 2010 at 5:07 pmXero01

you know what’ll be the most epic part of this ending/trolling? the heavenly legs that came down from heaven? will be a trap…

• December 25, 2010 at 5:14 pmmrman

These were real girly legs (according to the credits).
      (Yeah, Japan girls don’t have curves)

• December 25, 2010 at 5:16 pmFOA

this person did not enjoy PSG

• December 25, 2010 at 6:09 pmHenDarou

“What is this, I don’t even…” This line, along with the open mouth that I had for about five minutes after the episode finished, perfectly describes my reaction. My mind was blown to just as many pieces as Panty’s body was sliced…

That said, if they’re gonna do a second season, I sure hope that that “Stocking” was an impostor, or that she was mind controlled or whatever… As much as she may be a bitch, she’s still my favorite character. >___<

• December 25, 2010 at 6:09 pmAquaBlue

Holy Check!

• December 25, 2010 at 6:44 pmoutcast

what the…
      Is that a cellawerra reference? And if so wth has sc2 to do with all this?

• December 25, 2010 at 6:54 pmKiiragi

No, I wrote that in my post.

• December 25, 2010 at 7:22 pmMR.KLAC

ne thing to best describe it NUCLEAR JAW DROP SHOCK MOOD!!!

really this so really totally (bleeping) nuts, mind-banging, stunner, WTFH, totally got NUKE, etc by far most biggest WHAT?! ever especially on christmas time?!

really from whole panty got her 1000, massive fight, garter goes boom then back ok, heaven’s legs to squash the boss, & stocking a demon with panty in pieces of 3 sets of 6 numbers, etc now brief & chuck to the rescue?!

WTFH have we done to deserve this really oh GAINAX you rather give a season 2 or else yea we’re so going http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-271GIsZU NEXUS-attack for a season 2 of really best anime ever!!!

since this GAINAX doing yea this best overall way to describe of the finale in a KAMINA’s saying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW22-AO9_cw

yea we want a season 2 or else we’re going to follow ya firey pits of hell & kill ya over a million times for it.

really we need more panty stocking anime

• December 25, 2010 at 7:24 pmJustin

I really liked this episode.
    From beginning to end, it really felt like a movie finale, and that’s what I love about Gainax and dream I can do myself one day: manipulate that much the narrative style. I mean, the simple fact that they removed the credits in episode 12 and added some extra scenes (like in FMA’s final episodes too) made those scenes that much important and overall satisfying as credits rolled by. Or how there was no opening in this last episode (like in two of TTGL’s climax) and its music then plays in a scene where the heroes start to gear up for the big battle (even though I don’t think it was the same track this episode, when P&S go Angel form…that track seemed like a slower remix of the opening, or something like it).
    And boy did this episode make me laugh since the very beginning: Garter’s line “You’re not a bitchy angel anymore…You’re just a bitch!” really cracked me up (I repeated that very scene just for the lulz), or the ridiculous farm story Panty had and how ‘Sam’ ended up dying in such a funny (Western?) manner. P&S really had me smiling with these things, but I think that above all else, what made me laugh the most were their constant swear and Engrish. Panty’s “PhAck!” or Garter’s swears (“HORRY SHEET!”) and “GOD! MY! OH!” were definite favourites. As a plot-hungry person, like many here I think, I also liked the subtle details shown here, like the identity of the enormous woman that crushed Corset back into Hell (Soo he can come back..?).
    Still, I can’t help but have some complaints regarding this episode. First and foremost (being always eager for more plot details…), I really would have liked at least one line that told me more about Brief’s relationship with this “Hellmonkey” and just why did his penis have to be the damn key…Or how/why did Stocking come back from Heaven in the nick of time to save Panty and not before, to stop all this Brief kidnapping from occuring? Was there some kind of wait-up or something that had to be done first for her to appear (Panty’s whole character development and regain of powers? Couldn’t she have helped her?)? A simple line in those scenes that talked a bit more would have made them that more coherent (Coherence, in P&S? I think not). Added to this, I felt a bit dissapointed that there wasn’t really a big final fight, as Garter’s lasted like five seconds, and the Angels vs Demons had just one effin scene. I guess the longest action scene was sadly Chuck’s (lol the irony) vs Fastener. I was really hoping to get my mind blown in an awesome fight, but after finishing the episode I did not think it had beaten episode 6′s Angels vs Demons, or even episode 1′s train scene (in terms of sheer action and nonstop struggling and fighting). Then again, this is the sex and crazy P&S show I’m talking about, so I really have to be glad we got what we got.
    But hey, I loved this show from beginning to end and how it managed to steal a laugh or two every now and then. This reminds me of how just great Gainax is too. This studio has some really amazing ideas–making P&S a cartoon, yet being able to have amazing battle choreographies, so many scenes that you won’t find in any other cartoons, because they are plain sex and moanings, and even more real-life issues, like how shitty your life and job can be. And it is meant to be seen by kids. The final 30 seconds had to be the BEST, as I really couldn’t believe the massive troll Gainax pulled over me. I normally wouldn’t care if a character as shallow as Panty dies and I don’t hear from her again, but after seeing her and her sister through these 13 episodes, I really would like to see what crazy events and adventures follow next.
    Since Divine’s Winter Preview didn’t have anything referred to a second season of P&S, the most probable thing is that this really ends up being the last we see of P&S. I don’t see a special episode in the DVD/BD being enough to tie this whole mess up, but rather an extra episode of more insanity being classic P&S, being all about monster of the week and sex and vulgar jokes. However, if Gainax indeed announces a second season some time in the future, boy, count me in!

…And I still wait in Youtube for a genius to compile all the Engrish swears in the show, much like TTGL’s ‘Who The Hell Do You Think We Are’s. Ohh How I’ll remember Panty’s swears –> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3a6R4m5Rg&feature=related

Thanks for bloggin’ this, Kiiragi!

• December 25, 2010 at 7:53 pmKiiragi

No problem, though I think you had some pretty high expectations for the plot there. Expecting long detailed fights and explanations for everything? Yeah, definitely picked the wrong show. :P
      But yeah, I liked the engrish swearing as well, so hopefully we get to see more of her seiyuu in other things.

• December 26, 2010 at 7:47 amJustin

Oh no, Kiiragi! I would not like long explanations in P&S. That’s why I said just a quick line from any character would do; not a whole explanation…

But yes: I wouldn’t mind long, detailed fights like episode 6′s. ;D
        It’s too bad Gainax isn’t having any show next season, only that Houkago no Pleiades that hmmm I don’t think will be as good as these unique P&S and (well…) TTGL.

I just hope they’re working on something big for the next, next season then (or release the much-awaited Evangelion movie)!

• December 25, 2010 at 8:02 pmBROOKLYN otaku

GREATNESS!!! *adds to terabyte anime archive..under Classic Sh!t*…i must say this last anime season had a lot going for it!

• December 25, 2010 at 8:11 pmgartarbelt

haha no idea why but i literally laughed out loud when garterbelt yelled out God! my oh

• December 25, 2010 at 8:11 pmstarss

I shall now change the title of the show to more appropriate “What The Fuck Did I Just Watch: The Anime” TM 2010 GAINAX.

• December 25, 2010 at 8:42 pmIan

I’m almost positive that the entire post-credits scene is Gainax taking a jab at itself for its reputation of pulling things out of its ass at the last minute, like a certain other extremely popular series that shall not be named if it isn’t obvious. I too also doubt they’ll really go through with the “next season” thing, but I’d love to see what kind of zany whirlwind adventures Brief and Chuck would go through if it were to happen; I’d also love to see Scanty and Kneesocks team up with them, but that’s probably pushing the envelope. Ah well, there’s always the realm of fan fiction.

On a different note, I kind of expected Panty to go back to the way she was. However, it’s a nice touch that she has stopped calling Brief “Geek Boy” and uses his real name even when making fun of him, kind of like her experiences hadn’t completely gone to waste (not that it completely matters anymore given the ending…)

Anyway, I think it’s still nice to have an OVA to forward to. I’m not sure if I’m ready to part with Panty and Stocking just yet. I just hope it WILL involve them…

• December 25, 2010 at 9:45 pmyanipheonu

*salutes* GOD BLESS YOU GAINAX.

I hope Gainax does some other stuff before going back to Panty Stocking, but I’m up for more of course.

• December 25, 2010 at 10:07 pmYuumei

I honestly couldn’t think of another way to put this episode other than the aforementioned “mindfuck”, “wtf” and “whatisthisidon’teven”. By the epilogue, I was just completely shocked and left wondering what the hell I just watched.

I’m kinda glad I picked up this series (despite almost dropping it a couple of times) because it was unique and really entertaining. It was definitely better than I expected (though I didn’t have high expectations) considering the premise and all that… That’s probably all due to Imaishi though. Nevertheless, good job Gainax, I eagerly await your next mindfuck.

• December 25, 2010 at 10:39 pmSkins Thunderbomb

The ending kinda sucked. :|

• December 25, 2010 at 11:40 pmMrTerrorist

Thank you Gainax for ruining my Christmas with your “What The!?” ending.

• December 25, 2010 at 11:58 pmShirt

Thanks for bloggin’ this, man. I really enjoyed it. Hard laughing from start to finish. And Stocking is still the shit. Just sayin’. She got admitted to Heaven and was secretly a Demon? Now if that ain’t got SALT written all over it, I don’t know what does. xD

• December 26, 2010 at 12:43 ammikumiku

I think the next season’s title is “Scanty & Kneesocks with Brief”

• December 26, 2010 at 1:14 amKibate

Actually, Garterbelt already said it’s “Brief & Chuck” no matter how much you would like SCanty/Kneesocks to be the protagonist

• December 26, 2010 at 1:06 amexia

When the episode ended I was like “oh shit 2nd season woooo!!! happy dance”, but when I started thinking and doing more thinking, I was like like “I think I just got Gainax Trolled”.

• December 26, 2010 at 1:11 amTK

I spent half a day trying to thinking of something to say, but I think no existing vocabulary can describe the final 10 minutes of this show.

• December 26, 2010 at 5:26 amAir

“It is a mash of writers on alcohol, stuffing each episode with as many things as possible, embracing different ways to pull off the next sex joke, and if you think about it, something that you’ll probably never see aired again.”

( ・_<)┏ …BANG…

• December 26, 2010 at 9:45 amZero

I loved the animation, I loved the satire, I loved the details, I loved the story…

But now I’m just looking back, and asking myself, “WTF?”

• December 26, 2010 at 10:06 amAkiyama

If there’s a second season, then fuck yes. If there’s not.. then it’s still a proper ‘wtf’ ending on the part of Gainax, Haha. God I loved this series from start to finish. Loved it to pieces. Epic troll is epic.

• December 26, 2010 at 10:49 amOrinX

What a piss poor finale. Was expecting something alot better. On a whole Ill give the series an 8, but I give the finale a meh.8. And before anyone tells me, its just gainax being gainax…..ok…doesnt make it less shit tho.

• December 26, 2010 at 10:55 ambertman4

Damn you Gainax for your WTF ending!

• December 26, 2010 at 3:14 pmJack Vojack

WAAAAAAAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

• December 26, 2010 at 4:15 pmDrew

Shows like this make one thankful there’s still people with a sense of humor in the broadcasting industry.

I can’t even imagine how many years it’ll be before we see something this outrageous (in a good way!) aired again. :p

And yea, I’m pretty sure “season two” is a troll. ;p

• December 28, 2010 at 3:52 ammikuniku

Gainax will have the event of the P&SwG today in Shinjuku Tokyo.
    The UStream web cast starts at 1:50 a.m. in Japan time.
    I think they will anounce information which the second season is aired or not at
    that show.
    How about do you watch the show?

• December 28, 2010 at 11:17 ammrman

We didnt get a real confirmation, just a “it’s up to director Imaishi”.
      trollface.jpg

• December 28, 2010 at 12:48 pmmikumiku

According to the event, they don’t seem to have clear future plan of the PaSwG.
        It depends on the sales of DVD/BR in ordinary way…

• December 28, 2010 at 2:47 pmmrman

Yeah I wonder how popular PSG actually was.
      The number of preorders is good but not excellent.

• December 29, 2010 at 12:23 amjrj

sorry this might be a late reply… just finish the show :)
    Thanks for the posts… if it wasn’t for these, I wouldn’t even watch the show…
    the finale is so WTF… with the heavenly legs and stocking’s true face…
    wish there will be a second season!!

• January 3, 2011 at 12:33 amMick Jagger

Incredible mind fuck, this show pushed boundaries. And I clap 4 times for this show.

• January 7, 2011 at 3:08 ammikumiku

The current picture of Gainax’s web site implaied the next season plot…

• January 28, 2011 at 9:23 amRaped

Mindraped +1

• February 21, 2011 at 9:57 amMADAO

*sigh* as much as i would like a 2nd season, think about it for a moment, this is what the 2nd season must work with:

-Panty is out of the picture.
    -Stocking is on the evil side now so she wont appear as much as before.
    -Brief and Chuck with Garterbelt as the main cast? I don’t think -even- gainax can pull that one out, not even with the help of Scanty and Kneesocks… unless the anime take a more serious role.