Reader’s Choice – Favorite Anime 2010 Poll »« Poll: Fall 2010 Anime Season

Poll: Winter 2011 Anime Season

yumekui merry madoka magica fractale

Time is counting down to the new year and I still have the year-end Reader’s Choice poll to put up soon, so here’s the seasonal one first. I’ve decided to stick with the five-vote maximum used this past fall, since it allows for a more diverse range of results. While some people may not think so, I actually find this upcoming season rather interesting, offering twenty-two new titles with a fair bit of variety. At the moment, I’m not even sure what to make of some despite their potential, whereas others I’m eagerly looking forward to because I have a good idea what I’m in store for. What that translates to is a good season to start, with the possibility of turning out to even better if one or two hidden gems are discovered. Anyway, if you haven’t already, please refer to the Winter 2011 Preview for detailed information on each of the shows listed. As always, comments are welcome if there’s anything you want to add about a particular show or the winter season in general. Let the anticipation begin!

Note: The same poll will also be available on the sidebar. It will automatically close on January 3rd at 4:00 PM GMT to coincide with the start of the new season.

December 27, 2010 at 5:42 pm
  • December 27, 2010 at 5:44 pmphilip

so many choices can’t decide… :[

• December 27, 2010 at 5:46 pmjrj

5 choices only is a bit hard for me… maybe I am just that greedy :)
    a lot of these shows sound interesting to me, can’t wait for the new season :)

• December 27, 2010 at 5:52 pmClick

I had my Top 5 planned out waaaay back when:

1.Fractale
    1.IS: Infinite Stratos
    3.Beelzebub
    4.GOSICK
    5.Horou Musuko

Never really could decide between Fractale and IS :P

• December 27, 2010 at 5:53 pmPhosphatide

I could only pick four. Go me.

• December 27, 2010 at 5:53 pmgeass

no code geass. T-T

• December 28, 2010 at 10:18 pmYukiruchan

LOL Thought I was the only still missing Code Geass.

• December 27, 2010 at 5:54 pmNanoNano

This season seems pretty mediocre but I’m probably going to follow: Kimi ni Todoke since I watched first season (Noto Mamiko FTW), Fractale and Mahou Shoujo Madoka (Both Original Series), and Freezing (Noto Mamiko and Hanazawa Kana pair), and possible IS for fun.

• December 27, 2010 at 9:50 pmblackwings89

I agree just have whats already out carry mr threw these harsh times \(*o*)/

• December 27, 2010 at 6:04 pmsaru

SHAFT x Magical girls = epik win!! :3

• December 27, 2010 at 6:09 pmteisey

Hourou Musuko, Kimi ni Todoke and Mitsudomoe. There are other’s I plan to watch this season, but I definitely know I’ll be enjoying these three.

• December 27, 2010 at 6:11 pmamado

voted for:
    Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
    IS Infinite Stratos
    Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
    FRACTALE
    Yumekui Merry

• December 27, 2010 at 6:12 pmAlvord12

GOSICK and Infinite Stratos. Will give Beelzebub and Onii-chan a try just for the kicks! :)

• December 27, 2010 at 6:12 pmWill

Mitsudomoe ftw

• December 27, 2010 at 6:13 pmyomax

My list is:
    1,Beelzebub
    2,Infinite Stratos
    3,Freezing
    4,Kore wa zombie desu ka
    5,Yumekui Merry
    and Dragon Crisis! xD
    I can’t wait for the Beelzebub anime. The manga is sooo awesome.

• December 27, 2010 at 6:22 pmlkaze

should add an option of not looking forward for any of them. somehow i cant seem to be excited of lineup. beelzebub is nice but the manga havent even started to have a demon battle yet, so i can imagine the anime will be mostly pre demon power battle. freezing well kinda nice but dun really get the story in manga, hopefully the action of anime will be nice. and most anime about love , i will only start to watch if and only if divine put high rating on it otherwise i won’t be bother wif it

• December 27, 2010 at 8:31 pmDivine

Your option for that is to simply not vote. With multiple selections, there’s no way of stopping someone for voting for that and then four other shows.

• December 28, 2010 at 5:41 amlkaze

i kinda wanted to know how many of people like me that all. not hard feeling :)

• December 27, 2010 at 8:49 pmBossun

Beelzebub spoiler I guess but Show Spoiler ▼

so…yeah

• December 28, 2010 at 5:40 amlkaze

i know but it won’t show in the anime, since they will not able to catch up to manga. that why i can’t really expect much

• December 27, 2010 at 6:36 pmAiras

1 – Fractale
    2 – IS
    3 – Dragon Crisis
    4 – Freezing
    5 – Gosick

• December 29, 2010 at 11:14 amhoiut

Exact same lineup, man. Exact same…

• December 27, 2010 at 6:41 pmI_am_the_Zodiac_Cow

I’m only interested in Fractale. The other series’ just sound so stupid and generic.

• December 27, 2010 at 6:48 pmkazukifafner

The five that I selected were Beelzebub, GOSICK, Hourou Musuko, Kimi ni Todoke, and Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu. There are a few others that I’ll probably try out as well.

• December 27, 2010 at 6:50 pmSakura-hime

KIMI NI TODOKE (rock)!

• December 27, 2010 at 6:53 pmCrain

Gotta say, Cardfight takes my top vote.

• December 27, 2010 at 6:56 pmbravejaf

1. Fractale
    2. Mitsudomoe x2
    3. Gosick
    4. Kimi ni Todoke x2
    5. Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

I also would have included Freezing and Yumekui Merry if given more choices

• December 27, 2010 at 7:05 pmArabesque

”While some people may not think so, I actually find this upcoming season rather interesting”
    I agree, this season looks very promising. I can’t really understand why some seem to think that this is a very weak one when even though traditionally winter had less shows, it usually delvers some excellent shows. We had these past years all sort of gems, Spice & Wolf, Katanagatari, Baka to Test, Nodame Cantabile, Erin and Durarara all premiered in winter, so I’m sure there will be something special here. Hell I can see it even now from my 5 picks:

-Gosick
    -Hourou Musuko
    -FRACTALE
    -Madoka
    -Beelzebub

Just these are getting me excited for this season.

• December 27, 2010 at 7:05 pmMD

I love IS and Fractale since the teaser, they’re beautiful.

• December 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm7

Beelzebub!

• December 28, 2010 at 7:43 amShirt

T_T

• December 27, 2010 at 7:27 pmSacredBand

Fractale is the one I’m looking forward to most. Nothing like a good fantasy romp, after all =)

• December 27, 2010 at 7:36 pmTK

Definate watch would be:
    - Fractale
    - Madoka Magica
    - Mitsudomoe 2
    - Moshidora
    - Kimi ni Todoke 2

There’s been quite some hype around Freezing and IS but I’ll wait and see…

• December 27, 2010 at 8:27 pmewok40k

my picks:dragon crisis, fractale, freezing, kore wa zombie desu ka, infinite stratos
    not made it into poll but still will be watching: oniichan…, possibly kimi no todoke
    overall 6-7 series, down from 13 this season… going on anime diet!

• December 27, 2010 at 8:39 pmelijah

For me:
    1)Infinite Stratos-I adore high school based settings and romcom is my favourite genre. The character designs look really appealing too. Don’t really like mech though, but I guess it’ll be fine if it doesn’t take up more than half of the screentime.
    2)Yumekui Merry-I was initially planning to dismiss this, but the kick-ass second promotional video made me change my mind. JC staff hasn’t exactly been fantastic as of late, but I’m hoping they do a good job on this one.
    3)Fractale-I was going to skip over this as well until I read divine’s preview and his take on it. As I’ve said in one of my comments in the preview post, I think this could go both ways as although Yamakan is a competent director, he is prone to making bad directional choices from time to time for the sake of being creative. It’ll be interesting to see how this will turn out though, so I’m definitely going to give it a try.
    4)Beelzebub-Have heard from many people that this is pretty funny and shonen is a genre I’m quite fond off. Will definitely be dropping it if it becomes a long-running series though, as I still have Fairy Tail and One Piece on my watchlist.
    5)Gosick-The mystery elements intruigue me as they’re rarely done in anime. The director of this was the one who directed heroman though, which makes me a little wary of this. Will be checking the first few episodes, and will continue if I like what I see.

• December 27, 2010 at 10:35 pmKewldude

Trust me, I also watch One Piece and Fairy Tail, and Beelzebub is one anime and even manga that you absolutely will Not want to drop. You will find out why when you start watching it! ^_^

• December 27, 2010 at 8:46 pmShirt

Okay. There are shows that you said your guaranteed to blog. I probably shouldn’t vote for those because no matter what anyone says, your going to blog it, am I wrong? xD So perhaps I should vote for shows that were “maybes” for you. :D *logic ftw*

• December 27, 2010 at 9:25 pmDivine

This poll doesn’t have too much bearing on what we’re going to blog, unless someone is undecided between a couple of series and want to use reader votes as a tie-break.

I’m already set on the shows I plan to cover, as are the other writers. This is more for comparing anticipation going into a season and satisfaction after finishing it.

• December 27, 2010 at 10:04 pmShirt

Turns out anyway that the shows you guys were going to blog were the ones I were excited about most. Haha Thanks for telling me though. Oh and about the email, Show Spoiler ▼

:\

• December 27, 2010 at 8:56 pmmrman

Kimi ni Todoke for sure
    but I will also check out Beelzebub, Freezing and Starry Sky

• December 27, 2010 at 9:00 pmFidelDesu

Fractale
    Mitsudomoe
    Dragon Crisis
    Moshidora
    Gosick

I think Fractale gonna be this winter top anime.

• December 27, 2010 at 9:04 pmahelo

GOSICK, FRACTALE, Beezlebub, knT2, and madoka are my picks

• December 27, 2010 at 9:05 pmSilentCid

Cardfight Vanguard because it’s going to own all! I want to see Goslick, Fractale, and IS.

• December 27, 2010 at 9:17 pmder fur shur

I too cannot wait to see what SHAFT does with the magical girl genre, and it’s an original story.

• December 27, 2010 at 9:23 pmPeepQ

Why isn’t FRACTALE at least 50% above the rest?

• December 27, 2010 at 9:30 pmP0NCH

Can’t wait :D

• December 27, 2010 at 9:33 pmpottemayo

CMIIW, but isn’t Moshidora scheduled for spring 2011?

• December 27, 2010 at 9:38 pmSilivious

Woot, Freezing has others aside from me looking forward to it. :D

• December 27, 2010 at 9:47 pmblackwings89

Man i know theyre gonna butcher freezing so im not that excited and the manga just drags and drags the protagonist just pisses me off. IS looks generic i hope not.

• December 27, 2010 at 9:56 pmponpon22

i predict that Mahou Shoujo, Level E, and Fractal will be the best quality shows of the season.

i’m hoping that IS will surprise me as an original show, but I doubt it.

• December 27, 2010 at 9:58 pmfall3nbs

-Kimi ni Todoke S2 [gotta love my sparkles and bubbles]
    -Infinite Stratos [Yoko Hikasa in a mech action? Alriiiight!]
    -Houkago no Pleades [Subaru x Gainax: STI powered magical girls?]
    -Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica [Magical Girl Hidamari Sketch style?]
    -Moshidora [Yoko Hikasa as a determined character who leads a baseball team? SOLD!]

• December 27, 2010 at 9:59 pmA person

I’m shocked that Madoka isn’t in first, I thought it would be first by far.

Looking very forward to IS, Fractale, Madoka, Yumekui Merry. Pleiades could be good too, same with Gosick. I went with Pleiades for the final choice because I can picture myself dropping Gosick if I get bored with it. I hope that isn’t the case.

• December 27, 2010 at 10:04 pmponpon22

also, i love Mamiko Noto’s voice. so hats off to Kimi ni Todoke

• December 27, 2010 at 10:08 pmFlamingYu

Dang, I tried to vote 5 times for Infinite Stratos…but failed.
    others doesn’t seem to appeal to me much, maybe I should try out 1 episode for each of them.

• December 27, 2010 at 10:43 pmBluance

Im looking foward to Kimi ni Todoke S2, just feel alittle disappointed its not a 2 cour.

• December 28, 2010 at 12:07 amLonghaul

Fractale
    Infinite Stratos
    Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu
    Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka
    Onii-chan no Koto ga Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne (really this name is absurdly long)

• December 28, 2010 at 12:33 amJay

Kimi NI 2
    Fractale
    Freezing
    IS
    Wolverine

• December 28, 2010 at 1:13 amoutcast

I doubt a second season of mitsudomoe is going to be as awesome as the first. But i can hope.
    Suhwieeeee

• December 28, 2010 at 1:16 amEldaron

Freezing (i hope it turns out to be good) and Kimi ni Todoke 2 for sure, i really miss Noto Mamiko. I might check out Mitsudomoe and Gosick as well, maybe Gosick will be something like the Kurenai series.

• December 28, 2010 at 1:23 amyuna_f

Fractale is my number ONE (the chara design reminds me romeo X juliet). Hope that this show will not decieve ^^
    For Kimi ni todoke I thought that there will be 25 episodes oO (the mangas is now at the 50 chapiter and still ongoing…)
    So juste two for me lol

• December 28, 2010 at 3:07 amClaire Phoenix

I only have 2 anime..

Level E and Starry Sky. :)

• December 28, 2010 at 3:15 amsakiu

for me its

1. Fractale
    2. Freezing
    3. Beelzebub
    4. Infinity Stratos

• December 28, 2010 at 3:39 amtgbr757

My top 5 is:
    1. Yumekui Merry
    2. GOSICK
    3. Fractale
    4. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
    5. Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! (Just for kicks, of course ;) )

I’m concerned that Yumekui Merry will be underrated IMHO this season, and I believe it will be a gem. Whoever was translating the manga seems to have it, which I find disappointing because I liked the story. Maybe the manga translations will be picked up again thanks to renewed interest?

• December 28, 2010 at 3:51 amvasodeagua

1.- Horou Musuko
    2.- Gosick
    3.- Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
    4.- Infinity Stratos
    5.- Fractale

This next season has potential and is varied enough, I like it. I will check out too (at least the first episode): Yumikui Merry, Beelzebub, Pleiades, Dragon Crisis, Level E and Freezing. Those last two, thanks to the winter preview, which picked my interest =)

• December 28, 2010 at 4:11 amdamrod

Freezing, IS and Rio rainbow are the only three this season for me then that i am looking forward to, mainly because most of the series i am waiting for start in januari and are not on this list.

• December 28, 2010 at 5:07 amRui Craveiro

From the list, Fractale and Gosick are the ones I’m going to watch, besides the other ones I’m watching at the moment (Inazuma Eleven and Digimon Xros Wars) ;) I’ve seen the first season of Mitsudomoe and I loved it, so I’ll give a chance for its second season ;)

• December 28, 2010 at 5:59 amMentar

I wouldn’t mind turning Beelzebub into a long-running show ;) … while I generally detest Shounen, Beelzebub is just full of win and awesome. Hilariously funny, lots of self-deprecating humor, and the many girls in the show are all hot and spunky. What’s not to like?

• December 28, 2010 at 6:33 amohyes

FRACTALE
    FREEZING
    IS Infinite Stratos
    Kimi ni Todoke 2ND SEASON
    Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu!

• December 28, 2010 at 7:41 amZaku_Fan

Gosick (Never read the manga but if its a well done mystery requiring brain juice with a wierd dual personality girl, should be interesting)
    Fractale (If the director is willing to bet his career on it, it deserves attention beyond the first 2 episodes)
    Moshidora (Educational! joking, but the storyline can be interesting)

Had some hope for Houkago no Pleiades (never thought it would be a magical girl anime orz) and Rio (had hopes of saki ep 19 level drama) but the trailers proved to be quite a let down. hopefully they are better than the trailers suggest. Probably check out the early episodes of the others and their reviews

• December 28, 2010 at 7:49 amoli

there are alot of really original series on next season, looks like one of my favorite line up of anime:)

• December 28, 2010 at 8:11 amUnknownVoice

Supernatural(because tv show is fucking awesome) and Wolverine(because of it being an actual adaptation of comic book mini-series by F.Miler, unlike its IronMan counterpart.)

• December 28, 2010 at 8:20 ammaster_recrecia

Wolverine. nut’in else.

• December 28, 2010 at 8:23 amBROOKLYN otaku

WHY beelzebub? they shoulda pushed Medaka box instead.

• December 28, 2010 at 9:54 amDarkWind

This is actually a pretty rich selection for a winter season but I guess the most likely top candidates are those that only appeal to a select audience. Anyway, for me it’ll be
    1. GOSICK
    2. IS
    3. FRACTALE
    4. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
    5. Kore wa Zombie desu ka
    I do like the Beelzebub manga but I think its a bit early for them to be animating it and not totally convinced about the casting either.

• December 28, 2010 at 10:00 ambertman4

It seems there are only two shows I’m mildly interested in for the winter. The fall season was awesome, and based on recommendations, I started to watch other shows. They too turned out to be quite fun. I’m hoping some of the reviews here will excite me to watch other shows. Thanks for all your hard works!

• December 28, 2010 at 10:20 amBlue

I’m surprised more people aren’t pumped about Hourou Musuko. Is it because of the slightly weird chara designs? The premise? Even though I’m also looking forward to Fractale and Gosick (and I’ll probably check out IS and Merry too) Hourou Musuko looked the most promising to me.

• December 28, 2010 at 11:05 amfrice

My picks (in order of anticipation):
    1)Hurou Musuko
    2)FRACTALE
    3)GOSICK
    4)Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
    5)Starry☆Sky

I’m really looking forward to how Hurou Musuko will play out. The animation in the PV looks absolutely gorgeous. Plus, it seems like something I can somewhat relate to on a personal level. =P

• December 28, 2010 at 12:00 pmTakaii

So what shows am I interested in watching next season?
    Dragon Crisis, FRACTALE, FREEZING, GOSICK, Houkago, Hourou Musuko, IS, Zombie, Madoka, Mitsudomoe, Moshidora, and Yumekui.

Of course which one’s am I going to blog? I guess you’ll have to wait and see next year ;).

• December 28, 2010 at 12:15 pminnerchihiro

After a few days, my top anticipated have ended up as:
    Kimi ni Todoke
    FRACTALE
    Hourou Musuko
    Moshidora
    Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

But I am still going to watch IS, which looks like a pretty safe “high-speed school battle romantic comedy” to get into, and am still looking out for Yumekui Merry and GOSICK

• December 28, 2010 at 12:43 pmbluenote

Level E manga is so amazing 13 years ago that it’s usually referred to as Yoshihiro Togashi’s defining moment in terms of creativity. Looking forward to see how the adaptation turns out and if decade-old ideas can still impress younger viewers.

• December 28, 2010 at 1:18 pmNikki

1. Hourou Musuko! I love the manga so much! The animation and the music in the PV’s blow me away. I really want to see how close they stick to it as well.
    2. Kimi no Todoke 2. I loved the first season and I love the manga! I just can’t resist the cuteness of it!
    3. Starry Sky. It’s one of my favorite dating sim games. Deen will probably mess it up somehow but oh well!

• December 28, 2010 at 2:31 pmHikaru

Kimi ni Todoke 2 for sure
    i’ll also check:
    -Freezing(story seemed interesting)
    -Fractale(cuz everyone is talking about)
    -Starry Sky(i like reverse harem, so i’ll give a chance to this one)
    -Beelzebub

• December 28, 2010 at 3:06 pmItachizame

My top 5

Im a Mamiko Noto fan is the reason why i choose Freezing(the manga is a good read too) and Kimi ni Todoke(I really enjoyed the series)as for my other choices they seem to catch my interest.

FREEZING
    Kimi ni Todoke 2ND SEASON
    GOSICK
    Kore wa Zombie Desu ka
    Rio -RainbowGate

• December 28, 2010 at 3:25 pmtama

I never read beelzebub though, this season I count for Infinite Stratos and Kimi no todoke

• December 28, 2010 at 7:09 pmKaitune

For me, I’m looking forward to…:

(Not in any particular order)

IS Infinite Stratos. (It sounds quite a bit too much like a harem story for my liking, but the story still manages to intrigue me quite enough.)
    GOSICK (Mystery genre has always been one of my great interests. The fact that it also features Victorian style fashion do help as well.)
    FREEZING (A lot of fights and BOOOOOOOOOOBS. Actually, screw the fight, I’m watching it for the boobs.)
    FRACTALE (Sound interesting)
    SUPERNATURAL (I didn’t watch the original show, but the anime trailer looks too good to pass over. I still won’t watch the original show though. There is too much to catch up.)

• December 28, 2010 at 7:58 pmSora no Kaze

1. IS Infinte Stratos
    2. Fractale
    3. Yumeki Merry
    4. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
    5. Freezing
    6. Moshidora, just because I’m actually a little interested in what it might bring.

• December 28, 2010 at 8:54 pmAndré

Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu! \o/

• December 28, 2010 at 9:47 pmKrimzonStriker

1.GOSICK
    2.Fractale
    3.Kimi ni Todoke
    4.Freezing
    5.IS Infinite Stratos

Tried to go with a nice balance, though leaning on more serious drama and/or action concepts, with likely enough good-old fashioned fun mixed in all of them to keep things light.

• December 29, 2010 at 1:10 amNadavu

last season poll, Shinryaku! Ika Musume got 1.3% (or something along those lines). Just goes to show you that you can never know what will become a hit (and Hattori from Bakuman agrees with me on that).

• December 29, 2010 at 7:37 amRockmanshii

Voted for Gosick, Fractale, Infinite Stratos, Madoka Magica and Level E

• December 29, 2010 at 10:59 amMyKotoShi

I voted for my top five I’d most likely watch,

But the series I’m looking forward to is Hourou Musuko (放浪息子)

The art style itself pokes at my admiration for water based pastels and the theme touches very close to home.

I’m awaiting the hardcover manga to release in march and presume the series may become my favorite anime of the season and possibly overall.