Tegami Bachi REVERSE – 15 »« Tegami Bachi REVERSE – 13

Tegami Bachi REVERSE – 14

OP2 Sequence

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   OP2   01 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   OP2   02
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   OP2   03 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   OP2   04

OP2: 「約束」 (Yakusoku) by スガシカオ (Suga Shikao)
[Download]

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   01 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   02
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   03 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   04
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Snapshot 01

Aria proves she’s one tough Bee despite her clumsiness.

「瞬きの日」 (Matataki no Hi)
“Day of Flicker”

The truth behind the Day of Flicker is revealed and Gauche reawakens with his original memories intact? How could I possible let this episode go by without saying a few words about it? We have new opening and ending themes to boot, with Suga Shikao back for the former. For the ending we have a catchy song by Yamazaru, alongside a really cute sequence that busts it old school SNES Mode 7 style. Taking that all into consideration, I’m quickly reminded why I like this series so much. In fact, I’m going to try to make time to keep covering it in some minimalistic manner, which this post makes some strides towards by cutting down on screen captures and captions.

Anyway, on top of reinforcing the idea that the Akatsuki government’s soiled their hands with conspiracies and that the Reverse activists have every reason to be pissed off, this episode shed some light on characters we’ve met long ago. In particular, the bridge gatekeeper Signal (Camus) actually has two more brothers, Thane and Jean, all of whom were on board the airship “Progres” that crashed twelves years ago. Dr. Thunderland Jr. was another survivor, as were an engineer named Houdai Franklin (Tsuchida Hiroshi), and the commander Balor. As for the conspiracy, the true purpose of the flight seemed to be bringing humans close to the artificial sun so that it can re-energize itself by stealing the “light” from their eyesight. In other words, it’s another human experiment and probably the biggest one in the world of Amberground, seeing as the artificial sun is some living entity that resembles a combination of God and Envy. A rather befitting similarity, considering that human experimentation comes off as much of a taboo as human transmutation does in Fullmetal Alchemist. Quite honestly, that level of corruption by the government was beyond anything I was anticipating, and the mere thought of what it entails changed my perspective of this series in a drastic way. The memories that came pouring out of Lag’s spirit amber eye raises even more questions, particularly the ones that aren’t his own and show the world before it had fallen into perpetual darkness.

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Snapshot 02

Niche has to reassess the power rankings. Aria’s deemed 500 times stronger than Lag now.

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   05 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   06
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   07 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   08
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   09 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   10
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Snapshot 03

The look on Largo’s face makes it seem like he knew what was going to happen.

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   11 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   12
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Snapshot 04

An explosion of memories prompted by…?

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Snapshot 05

In a way, the Amberground government has harnessed the power of an evil god.

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Snapshot 06
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   13 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   14
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Snapshot 07

Visions of Amberground before it fell into perpetual darkness? I think so.

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   15 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   16
Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Snapshot 08

A heartfelt reunion that I’ve been waiting to see since the first season.

At the moment, I’m curious if Gauche has truly returned to his normal self, since the preview shows him thinking things over upon returning home after all these years. The new opening sequence isn’t really indicative of what we’re in store for, since it’s mainly comprised of a lot of older scenes we’ve already seen. What we do know is that we haven’t seen the last of Roda, so it’ll be interesting to see how Gauche is affected if and when he sees her again. Tegami Bachi’s getting pretty epic!

ED2 Sequence

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   ED2   01 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   ED2   02

ED2: 「ペルセウス」 (Perseus) by 山猿 (Yamazaru)
[Download]

Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Preview 01 Tegami Bachi REVERSE   14   Preview 02

Gauche returns home for the first time in years. I get the feeling his time with Reverse will affect how he feels about the government even now.

January 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm
  • January 8, 2011 at 8:05 pmKarmafan

There is a huge massive spoiler in the middle of this. Question is will it be revealed in the anime before the season ends. Manga readers will know which one I’m talking about. Don’t want to ruin it for the anime folks so Show Spoiler ▼

• January 8, 2011 at 8:28 pmAlec

holy crap its 14 eps already! I thought it would just end at 13 eps. I guess I need 2 pick up the pace.

Haven’t read the manga for a while. Look like im going to postpone reading the manga until the anime ends

• January 8, 2011 at 8:33 pmClick

Oh :O? I thought you were dropping Tegami Bachi for other shows. Or this just a one-time post for the winter season?

• January 8, 2011 at 8:39 pmRika

That was the most heart-felt reunion. (SOB~) I’m so happy and relieved that Gauche is back. I only watched this anime to see if Lag can bring him back. And Lag delivered. I love the new opening and ending. Now I got to wait till next week to see what happens next.

• January 8, 2011 at 8:57 pmPoiira

OH MY GOD IT’S A GIANT FETUS. INSIDE THE SUN. IT’S A GIANT EYE-STEALING FETUS.

That just blew my mind.

And Jun Fukuyama returns! Awww, Lag is such a crybaby. Love’im. <3

• January 8, 2011 at 9:11 pmStereoman

Actually, he’s been there for quite a while now….

Anyway, this reunion made my day. Divine, I might use one of the ending pictures to create a wall. Is that okay?

• January 8, 2011 at 9:49 pmDivine

Feel free.

• January 8, 2011 at 8:59 pmTotoro!!

really love that pix at the end of the ed…

• January 8, 2011 at 9:28 pmBROOKLYN otaku

that blog cover pic is PRICELESS!!! man, i feel like i haven’t seen this show in ages! happy NEW Year YAll!!

• January 8, 2011 at 11:01 pmfrubam

Dr. Thunderland looked like such a delinquent as a Bee X03. And Aria’s uniform needs A LOT of air too.

This episode continues with the excellent development. After seeing you wouldn’t be covering this any longer, I was somewhat disappointed. Its understandable though due to the low amount of comments this show gets and newer shows coming out and all that. It’s truly a great anime that I don’t think gets the attention it deserves. Glad to see that you’re, at least, still watching it, regardless if you will continue to blog it or not =03.

• January 9, 2011 at 12:41 amKae

This episode is great! Not only Gauche has awakened, but the truth behind the airship crash is revealed.
    So Divine is not going to cover this series anymore? That will be disappointing since it’s getting interesting.

• January 9, 2011 at 2:21 amShadiic

what gets me the most in this episode is the fact that the “thing” was shouting mother. I was wondering if this was the memory of people’s hearts it stole or is it calling to its own mother. I really do not want that thing to hatch as that would be worse than the flying dragonfly. It would shine death as it eats people’s hearts.

• January 9, 2011 at 4:36 am1Lau

Quite boring episode, but I guess it’s needed for the storytelling.
    SunBi:

• January 9, 2011 at 4:49 amSebz

*resists to give manga spoiler* give it an episode or two, and we’ll be breaking off the manga now.

I’ve been reminded that there’s a one-eyed dinosaur living in that sun.
    And an assumption: was the yound Houdai voiced by Kousuke Toriumi? sure sounded like him

• January 9, 2011 at 3:27 pmDivine

As indicated in my post, he’s played by Tsuchida Hiroshi.

• January 10, 2011 at 2:27 amSebz

the YOUNGER Houdai? same guy? seriously?

• January 10, 2011 at 11:22 amDivine

Oh, I’m not sure about younger one, but it didn’t quite sound like Toriumi Kousuke. There wasn’t a separate seiyuu listed for his younger version.

However, I’m pretty sure I heard Fukuyama Jun doubling up roles as one of the other triplets, plus Abe Atsushi as the younger Camus (who was listed in the credits).

• January 9, 2011 at 6:59 amsarabjeet

Quote “A heartfelt reunion that I’ve been waiting to see since the first season.”"
    Damn your right…

• January 9, 2011 at 9:31 amOvercooled

Thanks to manga, I can’t be 100% happy with the reunion *sighs* Still, things are really getting exciting. Tegami Bachi is really picking up the pace of things.

• January 9, 2011 at 9:41 ambakabakabaka

It’s great to see this episode getting blogged at least. The anime is really catching up to the manga right now. Also the new ending is adorable.

• January 9, 2011 at 10:53 amGuy

this is probably the most interesting episode so far and i cant wait for the next XD

• January 9, 2011 at 10:53 amgcsasuke

Noooo… Why do I get the feeling that Gauche is going to join REVERSE!

• January 9, 2011 at 3:27 pmDivine

I get that feeling as well.

• January 10, 2011 at 5:33 amArabesque

” The memories that came pouring out of Lag’s spirit amber eye raises even more questions, particularly the ones that aren’t his own and show the world before it had fallen into perpetual darkness.”

The theory is that Lag is a sprite amber that was turned into a human baby on the Day of Flicker (possibly in a similar way in how Roda became a human?) which would explain why he holds these ancient memories. I don’t see how the creature in the artificial sun connects in all of this (maybe they used the power from that day to create Lag?) but it sort if makes sense after Niche’s sister’s comment about him.

But anyway, the final scene was just so beautiful T_T I’m glad that your back on blogging this Divine.

• January 11, 2011 at 8:04 pmShiki

am I seriously the only one who practically peed myself at that…well I don’t really know what it is…in the sun? I mean granted I have NO tolerance for scary things but SERIOUSLY?

mother…mother…MOTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

ohhh it gives me the chills just thinking about it…

• January 12, 2011 at 1:24 pmZero

Did anybody else play that DS game “4 Heroes of Light” by square? Because I swear they are treading on some serious legal waters with that ED sequence.

Still adorable though.