Hourou Musuko – 04 »« Hourou Musuko – 02

Hourou Musuko   03   19 Hourou Musuko   03   20 Hourou Musuko   03   21
Hourou Musuko   03   22 Hourou Musuko   03   23 Hourou Musuko   03   24
Hourou Musuko   03   25 Hourou Musuko   03   26 Hourou Musuko   03   27
Hourou Musuko   03   28 Hourou Musuko   03   29 Hourou Musuko   03   30
Hourou Musuko   03   31 Hourou Musuko   03   32 Hourou Musuko   03   33
Hourou Musuko   03   34 Hourou Musuko   03   35 Hourou Musuko   03   36

「ロミオとジュリエット ~Juliet and romeo~」 (Romio to Jurietto ~Juliet and romeo~)
“Romeo and Juliet ~Juliet and romeo~”

Centralizing around the creation of a play, Musuko in turn tackles the issue of puberty. While not normally regarded as a serious problem, when it comes to the characters of Musuko, it comes as a curse. A ticking time bomb, that when set off, irreversibly destroys any androgynous nature one might have.

There’s a bunch of stories being played along, and it’s admirable how layered they are. Not only are there relationship issues between characters, they each have their own individual problems to deal with, like Takatsuki and her refusal to wear a bra. Interesting as it may be, I’m hoping for some more drama similar to the past two episodes, but it seems tensions are running high for everyone.

Perhaps a problem with having so many characters will come to bite Musuko in the ass once it makes its 11 episode run. Even so, when you put it down into words, this episode garners a surprising depth of development. Nitori continues to find feelings for Takatsuki, Chiba inches closer to Nitori, and problems will most likely ensue. I’m unsure what the point of developing the sister and her boyfriend is, but I’m not complaining. Takatsuki finally giving up and wearing a bra struck me in the end, simply because it just felt weird. Nitori responding with such an unconfirmed tone in his voice makes me wonder if it’s just an inevitability? That fighting puberty added a limiting factor that they just can’t get out of? It’s certainly a dead-end problem for them, with the only next step being surgery.

What’s missing so far are reasons. Why do these characters feel this way? How did it come about? Will AIC ever answer them? The importance of these reasons might be debatable, since sometimes gender and sexual orientation just don’t necessitate explanations. But I know a little something about Nitori, so yes, I do want to know how he came about.

Update: I’ve decided to stop blogging Musuko. I haven’t found much fun posting about the show, and my “real life” workload became increasingly time-consuming as the weeks wore on. I’ll still be watching the series, and if you’re adamant about impressions, you can read about them (includes all the writers) in the monthly posts we have planned.

Hourou Musuko   03   Preview 01 Hourou Musuko   03   Preview 02 Hourou Musuko   03   Preview 03
January 28, 2011 at 2:05 am
  • January 28, 2011 at 2:11 amkeiOnDaisuki

LOL. a part of this ep was hilarious! that when seya went over to maho’s house. XDDDD and lolz, chizuru was just so awesome.. LOL.(and i caught subtle yuri hints too! XDD)

btw, i felt sad for saori. DX ah, the pain of unrequited love. DX

lol. takarsuki wore a bra finally!!! XDD

love this episode!!

• January 28, 2011 at 2:12 amkeiOnDaisuki

oh yeah, i’m first! XDD

• January 28, 2011 at 2:42 amN0216332

Picture 3, are those 2 holding the balls like that on purpose -.- I’m really liking Chii’s character, probably cause she is the least wishy washy and just do what she wants >:) dunno if that will continue to be the case as story progress >:) we shall see :D

• January 28, 2011 at 3:10 amKiiragi

Wow, I just exploded in laughter. Dose balls.

• January 28, 2011 at 2:54 amahelo

Puberty’s hard. So much emotions…

• January 28, 2011 at 3:48 amabubu

Uh i have male genitalia oh and i have female genitalia, lets make things complicated… its so interesting!

• January 28, 2011 at 4:33 am♕Croosboy♕

Puberty. Watching this reminds me back in the old days.

Seeing this picture tells me that “Oh no its the end of the world” : http://randomc.net/image/Hourou%20Musuko/Hourou%20Musuko%20-%2003%20-%2001.jpg

• January 28, 2011 at 5:38 amHenDarou

Well, homosexuality and gender identity disorder don’t really need a “reason”. A person’s gender identity is most likely being developed completely while in the womb and there’s little to no indication that outside influences make any difference. At least, as far as I know.

• January 28, 2011 at 11:52 amKiiragi

Well, “sometimes gender and sexual orientation just don’t necessitate explanations.” So yes, I know. I did remark about it.

• January 28, 2011 at 5:09 pmProoof

I think environmental factors actually contribute greatly to one’s sexual identity and orientation, i.e. environment one grows up in, people around you. Don’t have any specific examples right.
      Genetic factors probably also contribute to it, but perhaps less so since it hasn’t really been shown that sexuality is hereditary; also, I would think gay people pass on their genes to the next generation less frequently.

• January 28, 2011 at 6:22 pmkeiOnDaisuki

i got a psychology class before and we tackled identity crisis.yes, cause of it would be hereditary,and environment. i know a family line who has tons of homos in them. grandfather, children..etc. an all-female/male school tends to have them as well.. X)

• January 28, 2011 at 9:32 pmProoof

I’m aware of the situation in single gender schools so yea that would be environmental; but a family of homos I haven’t heard about. Interesting

• January 28, 2011 at 5:41 amShinjiro

Each episode of this show brings a lot of depth and development while keeping the same consistency in the animation quality. Up to now, I am loving this each week!

• January 28, 2011 at 7:48 amrufe

Very enjoyable. It’s great to watch them do things like put their own feelings into the play awkwardly or otherwise dealing with growing up in believable ways…

• January 28, 2011 at 8:20 amLittleMong

I love this show. More screens for Sasa-chan XD

• January 28, 2011 at 12:59 pmteisey

I really loved this episode (well, I love Hourou Musuko in general, so that’s not surprise). I really wished I’d realized how much I wanted to be the other gender before I hit puberty. This series just kills me in the way that these characters (while most of it was skipped in the anime) got to enjoy pretending to be the other gender when they were young. It’s a bittersweet feeling, watching the characters get to do something I never got to do.

• January 28, 2011 at 3:48 pmSirMuffin

Oh man… Sometimes I feel that the characters are a tad too deep for their age (12-13)… But as it is now, the show is very emotional… At the end of every episode it’s hard not to feel sad for these characters… The ED tops it off perfectly for me…

• January 28, 2011 at 4:29 pminnerchihiro

Love this show and all, it is beautiful and well made, but the manga is the way to go if you ask me.

• January 28, 2011 at 6:28 pmkeiOnDaisuki

ah, i saw the announcement, you’re dropping this completely or you’re still but not weekly anymore? in any case, that’s sad.. DX guess IS and madoka are the only ones left to wait for here.

• January 28, 2011 at 9:58 pmKing Dragun

It´s a shame that you have drop this series, you were doing a terrific job at blogging it, let´s hope that monthly impressions come soon enough… thanks for give this series a little of attention.

• January 29, 2011 at 12:13 amGodKnows

There really isn’t anything to say about Hourou Musuko besides how great it is.

• January 29, 2011 at 12:24 amKiiragi

Heh.

• January 29, 2011 at 1:47 ambriex

When I first learned that animated Hourou Musuko skipped the first 34 chapters of the manga, I got scared whether this adaptation will be a success or not. After I watched this episode, I wasn’t as excited as I was when I first read the manga 2 years ago. But I think AIC did a pretty good job overall. However, I’m gonna watch this till the end since I DO enjoy watching it. More Sasa-chan pls XP
    Also, I would like to thank you Kiiragi. I really appreciate your effort for covering this show until now despite your busy schedule.

• January 29, 2011 at 7:09 amFirechick

The only thing I really hated about this episode was this scene here: http://randomc.net/image/Hourou%20Musuko/Hourou%20Musuko%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2030.jpg

But I know it’s not for the sake of fan-service. Other than that, this episode was great!

• January 29, 2011 at 4:24 pmkeiOnDaisuki

bec i’m a perv, i actually thought the irony. XD I like that scene..XDD every scene with chii-chan is nice…hohohoho!!

• January 29, 2011 at 4:22 pmYaya

I was liking Chi but her doing that really had me finally see her as an annoying character.I hate touchy feely people like that,it’s very inappropriate so I don’t blame poor Takatsuki for wearing a bra. Especially with what everyone and she are going through,that area is a very vulnerable one.
    Didn’t like Saori trying to get closer to Nitori,don’t like his annoying sister,and hoping for more Takatsuki x Nitori time soon >3>

• January 29, 2011 at 4:31 pmkeiOnDaisuki

man, you don’t like awesome chi-chan anymore? tch. that’s sad..DX she’s funny being all touchy. she’s kinda insensitive though..XD oh, you don’t like saori..i’m actually feeling pity for her. DX

• January 29, 2011 at 4:42 pmboiya

not sure wat all the anime is going to cover for the series with only 11 eps so thats why I just went ahead and read the manga, it does fill in alot of back info tho not sure if the anime is really going to go into any depth with it or not yet

• February 8, 2011 at 3:24 pmFirechick

@Yaya: I totally agree with you on that. And besides, there is ANOTHER way to check if someone’s wearing a bra! She should’ve just simply tapped Takatsuki’s upper back so she could feel any straps! That would’ve been MUCH less inappropriate! Is it really that hard to know what’s inappropriate and what’s appropriate in a situation? But I know the producers didn’t show it for fan-service reasons, so I’ll forgive them for that.