To Aru Majutsu no Index II – 17 »« To Aru Majutsu no Index II – 15

To Aru Majutsu no Index II – 16

To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   01 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   02 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   03
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   04 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   05 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   06
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   07 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   08 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   09
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   10 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   11 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   12
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   13 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   14 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   15
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   16 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   17 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   18
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   19 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   20 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   21
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   22 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   23 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   24
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   25 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   26 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   27
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   28 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   29 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   30
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   31 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   32 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   33
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   34 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   35 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   36
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   37 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   38 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   39
To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   40 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   41 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   42

「刻限のロザリオ」 (Kokugen no Rozario)
“Rosary of Appointed Time”

For an episode that went the distance by cutting out both the opening and ending sequences, the conclusion to this arc came off like a season finale of sorts, except when it came to the actual content. Much like this series is known for, the big threat was explained yet never got remotely off the ground, as Touma settled everything with his right hand like he always does. After Biagio dropped enough clues about removing the targeting restriction of the Queen of the Adriatic Sea for Orsola to figure out his true motive of wiping Academy City and science off the face of the Earth, I was anticipating the Rosary of Appointed Time “plan” to be set into motion. Unfortunately for me, the preparation weren’t even complete and Biagio resorted to blowing up the entire fleet and going out with a bang to rid the Roman Catholic Church of their enemies instead. There may have been a big global threat, but in reality this was just a rescue operation to save Agnese. Any sense of danger was all an illusion in my mind, which was quickly shattered when it became clear it none of it would come close to fruition.

Ultimately, that’s my biggest gripe with these series — we’re told what to be afraid of and never see any of it. While this mirrors religion in a lot of ways and is rather befitting of this fictional story, it makes the problems that the characters encounter feel somewhat unsubstantial. It’s as if they’re constantly preparing for an apocalypse and beating down anyone and everyone who attempts to bring it about. A lot the excitement is lost when all I’m watching are preventative countermeasures, even when we have a huge fleet of magical ships out to shift the balance of power in the world. For once, I’d like to see an apocalypse begin and the characters’ dumbfounded on what they’re supposed to do, before finding a way to overcome the problem. If all the excess exposition was removed from this arc, we’d be left with a psychotic power-hungry bishop kidnapping Agnese, and Touma and co. rushing to rescue her. Gigantic crosses were thrown left and right and Touma had a field day with his right hand, but in the end our hero was set on punching out Biagio regardless of what his intentions were. The Queen’s Fleet? That was just a change of scenary.

There were some positives to take away from this arc though, such as how it was much more straightforward than the previous one. The last thing I wanted to find out is that Biagio’s plan to destroy Academy City was just a fake-out like the Stab Sword. There was only a little bit of that this time, in the sense that the self-destruct made made all the explanations behind the Rosary of Appointed Time moot, but nothing I had to take the time to wrapping my understanding around that would have never happened. Instead, I spent two episodes understanding something that was going to happen but never got the chance to. It probably sounds crazy when the end result is the same, except I feel a lot better when I didn’t have to take in twice as much. I’m fine with the exposition to drive the story. I just feel cheated when I’m given it in double doses using sneaky storytelling methods.

Anyway, I still enjoy this series despite these little qualms I have with it, which is why the foreshadowing of the next arc from the Pope (Kimura Masafumi) and a member of “God’s Right Seat” (Kami no Useki) Vento (Hiramatsu Akiko) already has my interest piqued. With Touma being placed under investigation and eliminated if deemed a threat, I don’t see any way the actual problem won’t be front and center when the series revolves around him. What’s more, the next arc features new characters to change things up too. That’s a big plus for me since the character interactions are a lot more appealing to me than the subplots themselves. This includes Kaori considering Tsuchimiya’s fallen angel maid outfit to thank Touma for helping Amakusa, Agnese joining the good guys, and more Accelerator, Uiharu, and the happy couple next time. Touma’s Italian vacation may have been cut short, but a certain Level 5 is eagerly awaiting his return and I want to see what sort of punishment she has in store for him.

To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   Preview 01 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   Preview 02 To Aru Majutsu no Index II   16   Preview 03
January 28, 2011 at 11:50 pm
  • January 29, 2011 at 12:02 amJason Isenberg

Yay Agnese! :) Great episode btw! I highly enjoyed it.

• January 29, 2011 at 12:04 amReallySwag

but a certain Level 5 is eagerly awaiting his return

i was thinking how funny it would be if the level 5 was accelerator

• January 31, 2011 at 6:29 amAC730

I think a part of me just died… T_T

• January 29, 2011 at 12:27 amCode fanboy

for some reason, I feel a little unsatisfied. I really wished they extended the fight scene a bit more. Unlike Touma’s fight with Accelerater, which included a barrage of punches on the face; this fight scene had only two sucessful punches, and the wimp, Biago, is already down for the count. But, at the very least, is was somewhat compensated with the simple humor and all, Touma’s only lucky trip to Italy turned out to be wasted due to his injuries. Ironic that Touma tried so hard to save someone, and what does he get in return, a one way trip back to Academy City.

I had really wish Touma had done this to that Biago jerk, then that would have been one sweet episode. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2EE773H-3w

This was the best part about this episode for some reason,

I couldn’t imagine that Kanzaki had a thing for boys younger that her. Hahahaha, Touma’s situation seems a lot like Ichigo Kurosaki’s. More and more girls jsut come to his harem.

• January 29, 2011 at 12:53 amTrejon

well, seen as how things are getting better and better they might as well make a third season… that would be awesome

• January 29, 2011 at 10:33 amSilentcid

Lots of things would be fun to watch once a third season comes out.

• February 1, 2011 at 9:11 amfeal87

Third season? It’s actually likely if it sells well, as there is a lot of material to cover in the novels!!!

• January 29, 2011 at 12:39 amHuntsman

Can’t wait till new arc >.< + new op, hurray, is it likely this is some of the last few, cus they still had Show Spoiler ▼

• January 29, 2011 at 12:46 amlzanagi

Arggg everything is so rushed. at least i get to see mikoto and accelerator. Oh and btw, WINTER UNIFORMS!!!!!!!!!

• January 29, 2011 at 12:50 amTrejon

AWESOME!!!, i always knew that the day where the bad guys would realize that touma its a huge threat would come!! and i really want mikoto to be involved in all this, see as how awesome touma is, with touma saying, well the short thing its this… i saved a quite a few person and saved some cities around the world and the academy too quite a few times from big evil organizations and now the rest of them see me as a threat and want me dead LOL

• January 29, 2011 at 12:51 amGaze of Providence

Finally Vento, my favorite female character has appeared. And the badass Pope as well, fuck yeah!

• January 29, 2011 at 9:40 amLectro Volpi

Female?

• January 29, 2011 at 9:51 amTwi

Vento is female.

• January 29, 2011 at 11:30 amCode fanboy

yeeees, shocking isn’t it. What, you thought it was a guy with a female voice, or was it the piercings? Well trust me, there is a reason why she doesn’t look as feminine as most female characters would look like.

• January 29, 2011 at 6:53 pmTwi

She wears those piercings on purpose for her magic.
        I’d tell you what it is, but it’s a spoiler and it’s also a gamebreaker power

• January 29, 2011 at 1:08 amFlamingYu

Kanzaki with maid uniform + wings + halo? o.o weird combination

• January 29, 2011 at 10:07 amKizamikun

Technically she is a saint, so the halo and wings are fine. about the maid costume, well, you know. ^^

• January 29, 2011 at 1:15 amzmil

next episode gonna be the best episode!!

• January 29, 2011 at 2:32 amBluance

Agreed I get the feeling it will be the whole volume 12 in 1 episode but it should be fun to watch!

• January 29, 2011 at 1:24 amClick

Finally, the start of an actually good subplot. There hasn’t really been any good ones since Accelerator’s first appearance.

• January 29, 2011 at 10:34 amSilentcid

He’s going to play a bigger roll in this arc…

• January 29, 2011 at 1:37 amxcswmboy

Yay! “Batsu-Game”! Misaka is soooo tsundere.

Next arc is definitely the best. They got here faster than I thought they would. Accelerator can finally reappear.

• January 29, 2011 at 1:51 amKyzel

Index imo should focus more on the fan-service type of things now, the battles are all starting to reek of cheese for me. Starting to feel kinda bland recently, though… I wouldn’t mind seeing more Kanzaki and Itsuwa, or Orsola and Fukiyose screen times. Falcon puncher might be interesting but the way they portray the fights are just uninteresting now.

• January 29, 2011 at 2:37 amRickyMack

if you want fan-service Show Spoiler ▼

• January 29, 2011 at 3:39 amMario

Next episode is

• January 29, 2011 at 4:15 amChaos2Frozen

@Divine

You know Divine, it’s not a little ‘qualms’ when you spent half your article expressing yourself about it ^^ Personally I don’t see what the issue is, whether or not they activate their doomsday device, you know that the heroes would save the day, so does it really matter?

Anyway, you’re right that rather than a mission to save half the world, it’s better to view this as a personal mission to rescue Agnese. Saving the world is quite a daunting task as nobody can really feel how ‘big’ the world is let alone take responsibility for millions of lives, but to save one girl? It’s simple enough to understand.

Another way to see it is that for Orsola, this is her chance to show Agnese what she meant in the book of law arc by not needing a reason or having secret agendas to save someone.

• January 29, 2011 at 4:54 amByakusei

I can see what you’re saying but there’s something in film school they call The Doomsday Demonstration. Basically the audience can’t feel like there’s anything on the line unless the movie gives us visual confirmation of it’s threat. Titular example is how a typical bond villan will blow something up to demonstrate how dangerous his doomsday device is. This recycled trope is used so the plot doesn’t feel like an empty threat to the audience.

• January 29, 2011 at 6:07 amChaos2Frozen

@Byakusei

But at the same time, one can argue that it’s not much of a doomsday device if you can allow it to happen, even for a little bit, right?

Look to me it’s not really a problem, all these doomsday device have a ‘point-of-no-return’ right? No matter what the situation cannot be allow to cross that point, the only difference is that for this show, that point is much closer hence there’s no room for error.

• January 29, 2011 at 11:06 amSilentcid

It really can’t be helped. Touma and crew didn’t know that Biagio’s plan was to lift the locking limiter to take out Academy City and the science side with it. They only knew what the fleet was originally for and that Agnese is somewhat connected to that. Unlike Croce di Pietro of the last arc; Touma and crew had plenty of Intel involving that. This was more like, “you don’t have time to be shocked about it” or “you don’t have time to really have this info sink through you yet.” I think we just need to view this as a group who didn’t have all the facts in front of them and playing it by ear. Plus they were also preventing the destruction of Venice since the fleet was actually moving in that general direction they assume that was another reason to stop the fleet.

• January 29, 2011 at 11:10 amDivine

The problem is that Index seems to rely heavily on the approach that nothing can ever start or it will already be over. Like Byakusei mentioned, it’s better to give the audience a visual confirmation of the threat so that it isn’t “all talk”.

• January 29, 2011 at 11:55 amdo_ob

it can go either way really. I mean its not something you just let them use or else everything will be fucked up. If they used any of the past 2 artifacts AC would be fucked up the hole. Though i think i understand what u mean. You wan to see the damage that could be done. Maybe instead of describing what its done in the past the anime should’ve shown it? Would that have solved everything?

• January 29, 2011 at 6:13 pmDivine

It doesn’t necessarily have to be damage. It could just be the spell starting up before it’s thwarted. All too often, we hear about what could happen in fairly lengthy detail only to find out that it Touma punched the person out and put a stop to it.

Imagine if I were to spend 30 minutes explaining how someone is going to bring about the end of the world if he does something. Then at the very end, I say he was stopped. Would you not feel a little snubbed sitting through 30 minutes of my explanation? I could’ve made most of it up as I went along because I had no intentional of revisiting what you just took the time to understand.

This series isn’t that bad, but that’s the point I’m trying to get across. It probably works better as a light novel since everything’s left up to the imagination anyway. As an anime, it feels somewhat lacking.

• January 29, 2011 at 9:39 pmdo_ob

i guess it was the authors fault since he messed up a bit. Anyway im pretty sure people will like the series from here on, though i dont want to be to hyped about it cuz they might mess it up. Like one thing they will need to explain.
        DON’T READ UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW AHEAD!!

• January 29, 2011 at 4:28 amSilentmanX

• January 29, 2011 at 4:35 amByakusei

Was I the only one who felt this episode was a bit rushed. I swear, this arc was three episodes. The first was more or less just fanservice, the second was rushed exposition, and the final episode was in my opinion the entire arc in twenty minutes. I swear i didn’t know what was going on half the time here. And don’t get me started on how touma looked like he was wearing mascera in the fight scene.

• January 29, 2011 at 4:43 amjingoi

I doubt there will be another series, more likely ovas,oads.

• January 29, 2011 at 5:09 amdo_ob

why not?

• January 29, 2011 at 5:10 amKioku

Wut? There is enough material for three more seasons and if Index II sales well then there is no reason to not believe it won’t get a third season. The only thing I see them doing an OVA for are the SS novels. An this comment was very random. :/

• January 29, 2011 at 7:27 amGaze of Providence

Doubt that, the Japanese loves the novels and Touma especially, and I think discussion regarding Index (again I’m basing this off of casual information and charts gotten off of the internet regarding Japanese discussion) was second only to no-actual incest anime “Ore no Imouto -very long title”.

But you’ll never know, the world runs through money after all.

• January 29, 2011 at 5:48 amAn

Major dissapointment indeed:
    - I was hoping Agnese to kick some ass with her wand, alas that didn’t happen. Dammit, a Kugimin voiced character can’t be this weak!
    - No Itsuwa action either.
    - We’re not gathering attentions this time? Was anticipating, too bad… :x

• January 29, 2011 at 10:36 amSilentcid

Plenty of Itsuwa action when it comes back for a Third season or just read volume 14 and 16.

• January 29, 2011 at 5:59 amNinja Penguin

I think it’s pretty funny to see Norio Wakamoto gets falcon pawnched…once again. All Touma was missing is yelling the name of the attack and making the galaxy explode though. :D

just in case you don’t know what I’m talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw

• January 29, 2011 at 6:38 amrasone0104

another one joins the harem
    damn you touma XP

• January 29, 2011 at 7:12 amahelo

Biri biri next episode. Fanboy squeals. Oh yea oh yeah oh yea. The last screenshot levels up my excitedness. I also hear a lot of the LN fans say that the series finally starts next episode.

• January 29, 2011 at 7:21 amGaze of Providence

The next arc is pretty much the turning point for Kamachi’s writing and the entire series itself.

• January 29, 2011 at 8:16 amASDAS 2.0

Mugen from samurai champloo?

• January 29, 2011 at 9:47 amwasabi

Kaori with the maid uniform is FTW!

• January 29, 2011 at 10:37 amSilentcid

Yeah was actually fun to see that.

• January 29, 2011 at 11:34 amRyougaZell

Tsuchimiya? his name is Tsuchimikado

• January 30, 2011 at 10:22 amSis Just Got Real

What do you mean Tsukimiya Ayu isn’t in this series?

Uguu~

• January 29, 2011 at 12:16 pmRyo Ze

Every time I see these potential threats to Academy City from the magic world, I can’t help but think there wasn’t any real danger to begin with.

It’s hard to imagine that Aleister Crowley would create the city without a heavy amount of contingency plans to deal with magic threats.

• January 29, 2011 at 6:55 pmTwi

The dude is so prepared, he’s probably Aizen level at it.

• January 29, 2011 at 12:42 pmX

@DIVINE: Yes their cellphones do have one CRAZY RECEPTION, I read something from the novels translated by Bakatsuki that each of the cellphones bought from Academy City also acts as its own wireless cell site tower. Basically their phones aren’t just receivers, but also acts as transmitters creating some sort of cellular network. So basically the phones dont really rely on the cellular sites, but to other nearby cellphones for signals or reception.

I enjoyed this episode and Im glad to see Kaori to appear even for just a bit, I mean man, she hasnt really had her own main appearance at all (since Index arc, and it wasnt even about her and the Amakusa arc she was hardly ever shown at all). Oh well, biribiri punishment game next episode will be a great episode to look forward to.

• January 29, 2011 at 12:52 pmGP007

Can’t wait for the next arc where Touma and Swordy team up, <3. Of course a biribiri is fine too.

• January 29, 2011 at 1:38 pmchris

Hey, i want to start reading the novels at baktsuki, can anyone in the know tell me where we are in the novels as of the end of this episode?

• January 29, 2011 at 2:45 pmScience

Baka-tsuki has translated a lot of the novels, I highly suggest reading them- they’re pure gold! I enjoyed this episode, but then again, I always do :)

• January 29, 2011 at 3:05 pmchris

do you know where the anime is WRT the novels?

• January 29, 2011 at 3:22 pmdo_ob

u mean what novels it covering at the moment? it just finished V.11. Its onto V.12 and V.13. You might wanna wait….perhaps. It is alot of spoilers but then again it explains everything better.

• January 30, 2011 at 12:13 pmchris

Thanks do_ob, I’ll start reading this week. I like reading the stories so that i can see big picture,then enjoy the animation even more.

• January 29, 2011 at 3:13 pmMurasaki Ayame

«Random thought: Do they have satellite cellphones in their world? That’s some crazy reception range that Touma and Index had on their phones.»

From what I’ve heard, japanese mobile phones work fine on European countries when it comes to wavelenght reception, so they could probabily use their mobile phones in Italy with no problem by using Italy’s local reception antennas (even though I’m pretty sure their phone bill went up the roof LOL). The same cannot be said about using japanese mobile phones in the USA, for an example.

• January 30, 2011 at 1:09 pmDivine

I wasn’t thinking relative to Japan, but to Italy since they were out in the Adriatic Sea.

• January 29, 2011 at 3:39 pmAvalanche

So, can we just rename the Imagine Breaker to Harem Builder already?

• January 29, 2011 at 6:12 pmMatroid

Kanzaki has been reduced from a calm and smart and powerful goddess to a little girl with a crush on a boy (much?) younger than herself. It is painful to watch how the series keeps pushing forward new characters but, in the process, destroys the old ones. The grand message on the conflict between “science” and “magic” has become just a common motif on the womanizing adventure of the right-hand boy, and has become less and less relevant to the reason why people are watching the show.

• January 29, 2011 at 6:43 pmLectro Volpi

Stop the hate! waaaaaahhhh!

• January 30, 2011 at 9:13 amWilfriback

If there is a third season where her force is needed you will swallow your words.

• January 29, 2011 at 6:42 pmLectro Volpi

I demand angel maid Kaori… now!

• January 29, 2011 at 7:55 pmthe_custard

like the last preview of touma and misaka

• January 29, 2011 at 9:40 pmMountainGoat

getting bored of his falcon punch. can’t they think of anything else? maybe even a uppercut will do. The most boring fights are those that involved touma. He is only interesting beacause he makes mikoto blushes so much and i am loving it!

• January 29, 2011 at 10:27 pmSailor Enlil

Cute and funny at the same time (Just look at their facial expressions!) And I’m pretty sure Kuroko will make sure their “quality time” won’t end well, unless perhaps Mrs. Misaka would have something up her sleeve (I sure would love to see Mikoto’s meddling mom have that kind of fun).

• January 29, 2011 at 11:26 pmNoub

Well, at least he learned to throw something other than his super telegraphed right hand D:

• January 30, 2011 at 12:00 amthe_custard

for the haters of fanservice on anime get with the program most of the animes that are coming up have fanservice. even mech anime have them now.

• January 30, 2011 at 9:18 amWilfriback

Well the fanservice was present since the begin of the first season of Index. And Railgun anime made it even more explicit, coughepisode13cough. The answer is obvious isn’t?

• January 30, 2011 at 8:08 am♕Croosboy♕

like this episode and also i like the preview

• January 30, 2011 at 9:16 amWilfriback

Touma doesn’t looks happy there.

To those who wants to go squeein at Mikoto blushing, enjoy it as much as the next episode because that will be the last time in the whole series .

• January 30, 2011 at 3:05 pmdo_ob

I think this season at least.

• January 30, 2011 at 7:44 pmWilfriback

No, I seriously mean the whole Index series because I know the contents of the current novels until now.

• January 31, 2011 at 7:17 amGaze of Providence

What’re you talking about? There are plenty of slice-of-life events in the novel are they not?

• February 1, 2011 at 4:14 pmWilfriback

IF you are replying me I mean that “kind” of scenes between Touma and Mikoto the next is the last of the series.

• January 31, 2011 at 12:20 pmdo_ob

i have to, but reading whats translated so far on baka tsuki. But i think its something i gotta see rather than read.

• January 31, 2011 at 2:18 amewok40k

Touma is definitely a case of if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail…
    Punching every enemy he comes across is basically his only tactic.
    I hope nobody down to earth and sensible will send after hima sniper or 2.
    Pope, recall your mages, send in the Swiss mercenaries!

• January 31, 2011 at 1:17 pmNadavu

This arc was definitely the worst so far, in both seasons. I had serious thoughts about dropping it during the episode, but since the preview promises some accelerator next episode, I guess I’ll hung on for now.

• February 1, 2011 at 11:50 pmTeh_ping

Well, it will be best or worst for some depending on whether your favourite character is around. There’re so many that hate the magic side because that’s ‘NO BIRI-BIRI!!!’ ‘NO ACCELERATOR!!! THE STORY SUCKS!!!’. Unfortunately for you people, 2/3 of the story involves magic.

• February 2, 2011 at 4:27 pmZangetsu

Was this the first time that Touma used Imagine Breaker from a distance? As he managed to negate the magic from the cross that Biagio was using to keep Agnese on the floor while he was on the other side of the room. If it was the first time, I think that this is a very interesting development. It could lead to Touma use Imagine Breaker more effectively in battle so he can stop getting his ass handed to him before he falcon punches the enemy :)

• February 2, 2011 at 8:17 pmkabayongtao

Why don’t just Touma touch the whole ship? =_=

• February 3, 2011 at 3:42 amChaos2Frozen

It’s a big ship.

• February 3, 2011 at 9:05 amkabayongtao

While I have to agree with that, I’ll say that Touma’s right hand power is really wierd. At first, I thought that once he touched the walls of the ship, the whole ship will be gone totally.

• February 8, 2011 at 5:42 pmWilfriback