FRACTALE – 06 »« FRACTALE – 04

FRACTALE   05   28 FRACTALE   05   29 FRACTALE   05   30
FRACTALE   05   31 FRACTALE   05   32 FRACTALE   05   33
FRACTALE   05   34 FRACTALE   05   35 FRACTALE   05   36
FRACTALE   05   37 FRACTALE   05   38 FRACTALE   05   39

「旅路」 (Tabiji)
“Journey”

This may have been a character-oriented episode, focused on Nessa and her hide and seek pranks on board, but it was made much better with Phryne around. She’s still a marvel to me, given how blunt she was when she asked Clain if he loves her, and this time around she comes off as be a bit of a tomboy who doesn’t seem aware of how attractive she is. Her assertiveness and indifference to changing in front of people and having Clain on top of her were a refreshing change from the stereotypical embarrassed or screaming reaction I’ve come to expect, making her one of the coolest female characters of the season. She’ll just lay there and stare Clain down, until he blushes like a girl and gets off of her. That’s a win in my book.

Clain on the other hand I wanted to stuff a sock into for interrupting Phryne right when she was about to explain something about herself, Nessa, and the foolish cycle that the Monastery continues to repeat. The poor girl was ready to pour her heart out and spill out all the goods, and our dumb protagonist had to jump the gun on consoling her. There was plenty of time to do that after we got to be demystified about the Fractale System even further. I don’t doubt that was intended to be a plot-related tease and/or foreshadowing; however, it came off as a reason for me wanting to see Clain get smacked around a little.

I could have seriously done without the sight of his fundoshi, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to make a full-length shot of it to imprint it into the minds of everyone. I sort of reveled in his misfortune when Chikage and Tsunami “womanhandled” him and stripping him of his pants though. The first time was admittedly awkward, but the second time at the very end felt so warranted in light of how he interrupted Phryne. The same goes for Enri’s kick to the face at the dinner table. I thought I’d be sick of her abuse and perverted remarks by now, but I’m really not, especially when Takamy joins in to call Clain a pervert too. It’s become a running gag that works for me.

I was probably subconsciously expecting a bit more out of this episode after the one-week break, so it came off a bit uneventful in the grand scheme of things. While it did go on to emphasize that Moeran is taking the fight to the Granites family by showing how she’s spying on them, I can’t shake the feeling that the story has dumbed down to the Monastery versus Lost Millennium. Having two sides pitted against one another wasn’t really what I was expecting from this series, since it seems to simplify what could have been a lot more intricate than that. Of course, I do feel it’s too early to say that there won’t be interesting twists along to come, so I’m definitely not holding that impression against the remaining six episodes. There’s still plenty of time to “impress” as far as I’m concerned.

P.S. I doubt I’m the only one who got a laugh out of Clain pulling out his iPod-like device to “jailbreak” the ship’s pre-Fractale computer system. What do you know, it works with a click of a button too.

ED2 Sequence

FRACTALE   ED2   01 FRACTALE   ED2   02 FRACTALE   ED2   03

ED2: 「サリーガーデン」 (Salley Garden) by AZUMA HITOMI
Watch the ED2!: Download, Streaming ▼

February 18, 2011 at 1:52 am
  • February 18, 2011 at 2:13 amKarasuGummi

Did anyone notice that the ending theme was different this time? Now its starting to talk about winter instead of Sally’s garden.

• February 18, 2011 at 2:30 amDivine

I actually didn’t, but I’ll have a video of it up later. The song is “Salley Garden” in Japanese.

• February 18, 2011 at 4:19 amKarl

No its not. The melody is the same, but the lyrics are actually different. They’re both kinda love songs, but “Down by the Sally Gardens” use “she” and the new one “you”. And yeah, the new one is in japanese.

• February 18, 2011 at 10:03 amDivine

The song title is 「サリーガーデン」. I didn’t mean it was “Down by Salley Gardens” sung in Japanese, though you can still consider it that with different lyrics.

• February 19, 2011 at 1:20 amKarl

Ah ok, my mistake.
        Btw. they’re is something that still bothers me. The “new” titel in the credits is just “Down by the Sally Gardens” as you say, but theyre is still the name of William Butler Yeats. He just wrote the original “Down by the Sally Gardens” poem. Why is his name still in the credits? The melody wasnt composed by him and the new text isnt part of his poem.
        Why the change anyway? Making the Ending more “japanese”?

• February 18, 2011 at 2:42 amKoroshiya

I actually did but I thought I was hearing things because it’s been a couple of weeks since I last saw the ending.

• February 18, 2011 at 2:29 amKhal

You’re one of the few who I’ve seen said that they like Phyrne! I guess what you said were correct… it is a nice aspect of her that she’s sorta tomboyish and is a no nonsense type of girl. And I didn’t realize that Clain had interrupted her… tsk, Clain.

• February 18, 2011 at 3:21 pmxcswmboy

Ghibli version of Senjougahara? no, not really, but kind of. lol.

• February 18, 2011 at 2:46 amglubglubglub

Oh yeah unwarranted physical abuse and “YOu’re such a pervert!!” jokes are hilarious and not the worst and most hackneyed and offensive thing in anime right now

• February 19, 2011 at 9:22 amJ Jay

I don’t think you “get” it. It’s two middle aged people built like brick shithouses declothing a teenage boy *twice*, while a young child deliberately misinterprets any action of his as perverted.

But they’re all female, so it’s all good!

Speaking of Lost Millenium regardless of gender I still don’t find any of them either sympathetic or likeable, bar the grandmother (?)/youngest daughter. At least the central trio are well thought out and a pleasure to watch. I mean, how dare Clain be inquisitive and concerned about the reasons for Phryne’s seemingly rash actions. How *dare* he.

And finally, I think the comparisons to E7 are apt. There was another series ruined with a host of fist-to-the-face worthy characters who saw fit to test the naive young boy’s patience to the limit for no good reason, while locking him out of the loop and then BLAMING HIM for being locked out of the loop.

Hoping for better things from this series, or I’ll just be watching OGIN and Wandering Son.

• February 18, 2011 at 2:51 amyoz

So the toilet is the secondary bridge of the ship, how convenient!

• February 18, 2011 at 10:57 amRickyMack

heck yah! when you need to command the ship and you’ve got a spastic colon!

• February 18, 2011 at 2:58 amP0NCH

Not a bad episode, but the one week break also had me expecting/wanting more. It was nice to see Nessa and Phryne together at the end :)
    Nessa as always is adorable and Phryne is way too cool for Clain.

• February 18, 2011 at 4:25 amFading Moon

I have a feeling something big is going to reveal itself soon. It’s like I can’t shake the feeling there is some more complex idea behind the plot and they are just scratched the surface with it. This show has the potential to be well developed and complex with ideals that could make you ponder about things.

• February 18, 2011 at 5:07 amewok40k

Did your men put the tracking device on the Millenium Falcon that airship, commander?

• February 18, 2011 at 5:22 amGaze of Providence

Now why would they replace the ending song with a strinkingly similar song but with different lyrics in another language, when the season isn’t even half-over yet?

• February 18, 2011 at 5:35 amTomer

This series just feels like a slightly more light-hearted and slightly worse version of Xam’d.

• February 18, 2011 at 6:14 amKarmafan

Xam’d was fas superior to this series (so far). I’m gonna keep watching and hoping it picks up. Right now its just a zzzzzzzzzzzzzz….

• February 18, 2011 at 5:58 amahelo

Clain is weird.

• February 18, 2011 at 6:27 amoutcast

• February 18, 2011 at 6:38 aminfinite

When I was about halfway through I started to feel a little nostalgic. I then remembered why I felt this way. Fractale reminds me of Eureka 7.

• February 18, 2011 at 7:02 amJC

Agree, it does reminds me of Eureka 7…
      Phryne is too adorable

• February 18, 2011 at 1:04 pmSolarguardian

OH MY GOD YES. I was waiting for something great to happen since there was a break last week but while I was watching this episode I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was watching a not-as-great version of Eureka 7. (It should be noted that E7 is my favorite anime and so it might not be great to other people, just me. >.>)

I really hope that with the last six episodes this show really turns around and becomes the game changer it promised it would be because right now, it’s just an enjoyable show and really nothing more.

• February 18, 2011 at 8:37 amThe Story You Don’t Know

I guess I’ll have to say that Phryne is the BEST female lead for this season. Last season’s was Hitagi Senjougahara of Bakemonogatari :)

It might sound weird but I’ll put watching Fractale on a higher priority than watching Infinite Stratos. Though I have to admit I still like IS, I find this anime’s story and plot more meaningful. Also, the characters here are “way better” than those in IS. I guess those characters in IS are just too stereotype for me and Phyrne and Nessa are refreshing.

1. Fractale
    2. IS
    3. Gosick

• February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pmKarmafan

How is this female lead even interesting to be #1? I would say the best female leads this season are:

1. Gosick (Victorique)

2. Freezing (Sattelizer)

3. Zombie Desuka (Yuu)

Madoka so far has been wimpy and wishy washy but I bet before this series ends she will step up her game and join the list.

• February 18, 2011 at 4:03 pmThe Story You Don’t Know

Oh, I made that list as my favorite animes of the season. Which I will fix:

1. Fractale
      2. Gosick
      3. IS

IF you make it a list for favorite leads, then Phryne and Victorique leads by landslide. Sattelizer? Just another generic tsundere lead female for me. I’ve never watched the anime but I’ve read the manga and stopped reading it. Why? It was just another generic manga with a wimpy protagonist and an overpowered tsundere in a twisted plot that really leads nowhere :P

You may say that IS is just another generic harem with lots of -deres in it but I watch it for the mecha

• February 18, 2011 at 10:03 amstarss

Can someone please explain to me why Fractale took a break last week?

• February 18, 2011 at 10:08 amstarss

Also, why couldn’t the women have just old Clain to change in another room?

Sucks that would can’t edit your past replies.

• February 18, 2011 at 11:06 amGhostalker

I still have high regards to this series, the best thing probably is episode 2 that really made me hooked to this, but after that something starts to feel strange, my overall impression is its a light-hearted series then they introduced mass-killings and it still feel very much light-hearted. I’ll still be keeping tabs on this series since it gives me a good initial impression, hopefully in the next few episodes, things will eventually pick up

• February 18, 2011 at 12:31 pmZaku Fan

They need to spice it up more. The character building is fine but it ends up slow. If this was a season without several very good shows, that would be fine but right now Fractale is being pushed down by its rivals. I think there was some poll on the season’s anime and Fractale was not in a good position

• February 18, 2011 at 2:10 pmFidelDesu

Ooo i just luv watching “fresh” anime. Nessa is SUPER cute & adorable!~ =3

• February 18, 2011 at 4:57 pmTumbril

…Does somebody understand the joke behind the red underwear at the end?

• February 18, 2011 at 5:09 pmPuffy

Loincloth?!

CANNOT UNSEE. OH GOD.

• February 18, 2011 at 6:00 pmBossun

Yeah! Everyone knows loincloths are as manly as you can get!

• February 19, 2011 at 5:28 amNessa

Nothing wrong with the fundoshi; like what Chikage said, it’s as manly as you can get… But Clain, what’s with the that girly pose?

• February 19, 2011 at 11:34 pmdsseraph

And my loin cloth? It’s a red on now.

• February 19, 2011 at 11:35 pmdsseraph

One*, wtb edit button!

• February 20, 2011 at 8:25 amiron2000

Somehow it feels like Nessa is the personality/character/soul? of the other Nessa in ep3-4.
    Half Nessa :P
    Or it couldn’t be that Nessa is like Ayanami Rei?

So Phryne’s mother has purple hair?

• February 20, 2011 at 8:42 pmkoager

lol I laughed also at Clain’s iPod
    He was able to hack into the ships entire system using an iPod while in the toilet. That’s some skills right there.

• April 10, 2011 at 6:57 pmanon

Did anyone else notice the similarity of picture #24 (I think- the girl lying on her back) with that one shot in Meltdown? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ox5-fEH4Ww&feature=player_detailpage#t=134s (pause it at around 2:14)