Yumekui Merry – 08 »« Yumekui Merry – 06

Yumekui Merry   07   16 Yumekui Merry   07   17 Yumekui Merry   07   18
Yumekui Merry   07   19 Yumekui Merry   07   20 Yumekui Merry   07   21
Yumekui Merry   07   22 Yumekui Merry   07   23 Yumekui Merry   07   24
Yumekui Merry   07   25 Yumekui Merry   07   26 Yumekui Merry   07   27
Yumekui Merry   07   28 Yumekui Merry   07   29 Yumekui Merry   07   30
Yumekui Merry   07   31 Yumekui Merry   07   32 Yumekui Merry   07   33

「夢と水着と海の色」 (Yume to Mizugi to Umi no Iro)
“Dreams, Swimsuits and the Color of the Sea”

This wasn’t nearly as fanservice oriented as I thought, and the show earns massive respect in that regard. Imagine that, actually using a beach episode to develop a main character.

Underneath the rather tasteful fanservice, Merry’s issues don’t go ignored, and Yumeji gives some consulting, using the way too convenient Gritcho as a basis. Merry’s issues themselves however, aren’t really new in anime. She’s basically Simon from Gurren Lagann, and Yumeji’s Kamina, because the only way Merry’s problem is solved, is because he believes she’s doing the right thing. It comes off more as ignorance to me than anything heroic, because Yumeji really doesn’t know if Engi is right or not about Merry’s actions. If Engi is right, will we see another fallout like this one? TTGL did it twice I suppose.

As for the other characters, it seemed like a lot of them were there just so they could get something revealed about them while they’re all together. I liked how everyone did their own thing though, just casually enjoying the beach. Pretty chill compared to your usual beach episodes. Most important of the supporting cast right now is probably Kawanami Chizuru, the red-haired bijin with a pretty miss swimsuit reveal scene. I mean, they played that out like she was AMAZING, but I was just like, am I missing something here? Anyway, they continue their discussion of Isana’s dream of drawing (I support this dream btw), and she basically just smiles that Isana hasn’t told anyone. Wouldn’t it be such a shock if Chizuru harbors the type of demon that likes to know her enemies before she rips their dreams into pieces? That’d be so amazing though, so I’m going to go with that for now.

Saki and Akiyanagi also get some development, but it’s more on the romantic side, so ..yeah. Slightly unexpected, and their character match is pretty rare. Tomboy with a Bishounen? It’s almost.. gay. Almost. It’s only interesting if it were to be used at a later part of this season, rather than just be a development taken from the manga that won’t even be covered in time. Again, I’m going to assume the former is the case, because it’s more awesome that way.

And we can’t forget the battle of the week, this time taking a kid’s dream away, which was pretty cruel. And it figures it’s a weak looking girl beating a burly guy, because the opposite wouldn’t “look right.” Imagine if she was a guy instead, whaling on a frail looking girl with those vines. It’d be more cruel, yes, but it’d be more powerful emotionally, at the expense of angering viewers who can’t stand to see such things, which basically describes FREEZING. Except that one chickened out in many instances and used female on female instead, but I’m rambling. In any case, the fights are always a fun departure, always providing the eye candy, and it served to introduce “Mystletainn (Sayuri Yahagi),” the other extremely powerful being rivaling Elcres (I think they made her too cute to be the villain :/). It didn’t click at first, so I was like, wait, why is her design so cool? Now it makes sense. Basically, they were like, “this is her, and these are her vines. Are they not awesome and isn’t she so good with them? *wink* *wink*” Ahem, but yeah, don’t be surprised when Merry’s dangling in the air binded in certain ways a few eps from now. Judging by this episode though, I trust the show won’t go there?

Next week looks intense, as we return to Engi, and Merry’s resolve will be tested once more. I’m intrigued. You?

Yumekui Merry   07   Preview 01 Yumekui Merry   07   Preview 02 Yumekui Merry   07   Preview 03

February 19, 2011 at 3:07 am
  • February 19, 2011 at 3:59 amFading Moon

Engi is such an interesting character. Next week’s episode is going to be mind blowing.

• February 19, 2011 at 5:42 amvirox

It’s too bad they didn’t make Merry take of her coat… Well, whatever.
    I didn’t really get the content of your last question, but Mistilteinn is an anime only character, so whatever it was you don’t want the mangaka to do, if it happens, it’s not the mangakas fault.

Btw, you should’ve included the clown Dream Demon from the preview, he’s just too fun.
    And he’ll reveal the color and pattern of Merrys pantsu!

• February 19, 2011 at 11:02 amKiiragi

Right, it wouldn’t be the mangaka’s fault. Fixed.

• February 19, 2011 at 7:02 amEcchiban

In some ways, that swimsuit is less revealing than her midriff exposing clothes.

• February 19, 2011 at 7:11 amfeal87

Maid Merry is too cute. Anyway yes, story seems to be taking a nice turn. Hope for more good episodes later on (like the other recent, but not filler)

• February 19, 2011 at 7:21 amDawnthief

Everytime I see Merry it is like

HHHHGGGGGGGGGGGG!

• February 19, 2011 at 7:21 amHenDarou

Certainly not the typical beach episode and I approve of that. Aside from that, why does such an adorable-looking character have to be a villain. TT___TT

• February 19, 2011 at 9:07 amewok40k

Is it me or is Kawanami host of the Mystletainn?
    We dont know yet the motives of either, but some sort rilvalry with Elcres seems to be going on…
    Nice romance startup between poet bishounen and tomboy girl, it actually ineterests me more than main pairing of Merry and Yumeji…

• February 19, 2011 at 9:18 amahbonk

“Is it me or is Kawanami host of the Mystletainn?”

Yea I have the same thoughts.
      The cut to Kawanami sighing after the battle is not mere coincidence methinks.
      I’m worried for Isana now :/

• February 19, 2011 at 9:44 amvirox

This is not a spoiler:
        She is not Mistiltainn’s vessel. They have different pupil shapes (Remember that scene in … episode 3 orso, Kawanami’s pupils get a cross-shape when she’s controlled by her dream, while Mistilteinn has crow’s feets-shaped pupils.
        There is only one more anime original character and this character was at the beach too, so this character is most likely the vessel of Mistilteinn

• February 19, 2011 at 9:50 amKarmafan

I dont really think of Merry as fan service. She has the body of a young boy and not at all cute. The 2 that were playing volleyball and jiggling all over the place that was fan service. She is about as unsexy as a main character can be (other then Victorique in Gosick but at least in her show she is really cute with her long blond hair and doll features for Moe action).

• February 19, 2011 at 11:30 amKiiragi

She may be flat as a board, but she’s supposed to be apparently, fitting into that loli moe aspect, similar to Shana, Louise, Taiga, basically J.C. Staff’s forte. Her unique points are her navel they keep playing on, and her ability to tear up to everything. Oh, and the childish nature too. It’s hard to argue that Victorique is any better, because she’s pretty much the same type, but her cunning wit makes her seem much older, and that makes her attractive (to us). Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• February 19, 2011 at 10:17 amSolarguardian

Unrelated to the review and not really important but I really like Isana’s face. I mean look at her! It’s just so goofy looking with her smile. haha Anyway, I’m kinda disappointed that they didn’t make Merry take off her coat and that thing on her arm. Show Spoiler ▼

That anime only character is really cute too. I like her and her… vines. :D

• February 19, 2011 at 11:01 amKiiragi

Really now? That’s rather obscure.

• February 19, 2011 at 4:47 pmSilver

Hmm.. so far I feel happy yet at the same time a bit disappointed. I’m mainly disappointed because I feel that the chance of an anime original ending is high (well, there’s not that much material yet). However, it’s still enjoyable!

@ Solarguardian
    Me too! Although I already thought Isana was always cute. Well Merry has really cute expressions too actually and also Yumeji this episode when he was so happy about seeing the “heroes” haha.

Oooh…

That looks kind of nice…

• February 19, 2011 at 5:20 pmmaxhyppla

Awesome [gg]! Well played. I’m laughing my ass off for already 10 minutes.

(I don’t know if it is also known outside of /a/ already.. )
    Does somebody know what he really is saying here?

• February 20, 2011 at 5:00 amDivine

「メリーの水着はもう少し何とかならなかったんですか?」

“Couldn’t you have done something a bit more with Merry’s swimsuit?”

Yumeji’s implying if Isana couldn’t have given her a better one. He’s clearly not a fan of the school swimsuit.

• February 19, 2011 at 5:59 pmgawrshness

you don’t sound very intrigued though xD

• February 19, 2011 at 9:46 pmMoonDogg

Need Moar Vagina Bones…..

• February 20, 2011 at 3:32 amKokuyoku

Odd that they skipped an important/heartwarming scene with Merry and Yumeji in place of an action scene with an anime-original enemy o_0

• February 20, 2011 at 7:28 pmMearex

i like this show

• February 20, 2011 at 8:28 pmkoager

I don’t really get the “dream loss” that they were talking about last episode. It seems like if your dream demon gets defeated you become all emotionless from what we see of other characters. HOWEVER! Dream loss did not happen on the president and this has yet to be explained why exactly.
    This was almost the same issue with Letter Bee where Sunny was still able to bake cookies while Zazie’s parent pretty much became vegetables but they were able to close the loop by saying she still had some heart left while Yumeki Merry has still left it unanswered…

• February 20, 2011 at 8:37 pmkira-kun

I think the Dream loss = the muma is killed by the Sea of Trees. Also, I don’t think Merry’s way of “removing” muma is as bad as the Sea of Trees does it.

• February 21, 2011 at 8:17 amvirox

Answering in spoiler, just in case: