Yumekui Merry – 11 »« Yumekui Merry – 09

Yumekui Merry   10   13 Yumekui Merry   10   14 Yumekui Merry   10   15
Yumekui Merry   10   16 Yumekui Merry   10   17 Yumekui Merry   10   18
Yumekui Merry   10   19 Yumekui Merry   10   20 Yumekui Merry   10   21
Yumekui Merry   10   22 Yumekui Merry   10   23 Yumekui Merry   10   24
Yumekui Merry   10   25 Yumekui Merry   10   26 Yumekui Merry   10   27
Yumekui Merry   10   28 Yumekui Merry   10   29 Yumekui Merry   10   30

「夢から覚めずに」 (Yume Kara Samezuni)
“Not Waking from a Dream”

So hold on, remember when Merry destroyed a couple demons way back in the early episodics, and their vessels continued about their days? I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this last week, but did J.C. Staff just contradict the main plotline with their own original material? Or at least, create some poorly thought out suspense?

Besides completely undermining the entire episode, since the whole thing relied on the suspense that Isana “can’t” be saved, it was still well done. Three characters get their histories developed, Isana, Chizuru, and Akiyanagi, except that the last one was extremely.. what’s the word.. polarizing? All of a sudden, bishie Akiyanagi has a sick imouto (which is sadly a cliche), except that she didn’t die. It’s interesting I guess, and has made it increasingly obvious how hard Saki has the hots for him, but the whole scene screams suspicious for the poem writing blondie.

Tragic pasts are a cheap shot in giving characters reasons from the norm to be doing whatever it is they’re doing, basically creating a blank sheet for the writer to work with, and in this case, literally an empty character. The classic, “I was once emotionless, but now I feel for someone” takes the role here, and Chizuru is left ambiguous to whether or not she will help. That is, IF MERRY COULDN’T JUST SLAP THE DEMONS IN THE FIRST PLACE. I’m also not entirely convinced with Elcres’ reason for taking over reality because they can’t have ..dreams.. Intentional irony? Seriously, a better reason would be no reason at all. Someone needs to make up their mind whether or not dream demons ARE dreams themselves, and if not, explain why the hell they embody their vessel’s dreams (which contradicts the fact that Merry can kill them without affecting said vessel). The obvious answer here is that, Merry has the special power that only she can destroy dream demons without affecting the vessel, but that seems like such an obvious answer that if it were true, it’d be incredibly stupid that the characters haven’t realized it at this point.

Developing Chizuru’s demon as a rival for Mysteltainn makes a nice dynamic along with the protection of Isana by Yumeji and Merry, so the original material isn’t shabby in that area. But you know what I was most impressed with this episode? The fire used in Elcres’ scenes. I think they just implanted actual fire into the animation, but the transition looks flawless. Focusing on Isana was easy points with me, since she’s the best childhood friend you could have (and he lives with her damn!), and was all sorts of nut busting cuteness this ep. The inevitable fight will actually occur next episode, which is way earlier than I expected. The finale and how they’re going to end everything is the only thing left to surprise, so here’s to that.

Yumekui Merry   10   Preview 01 Yumekui Merry   10   Preview 02 Yumekui Merry   10   Preview 03

March 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm
  • March 12, 2011 at 8:10 pmPockyG

I would love this show for it’s gorgeous character designs but I’ve rolled my eyes so much watching this series I’ve gone blind.

• March 12, 2011 at 8:21 pmNestor

The fire used in Elcres’ scenes was extremely cheesy. They probably just wanted to save a few dollars on the animation by mixing in live footage. I find it quite distasteful.

• March 12, 2011 at 8:22 pmkira-kun

I think the problem lies in if the Muma is actively holding their vessel’s dream hostage or not. But Isana’s Muma hasn’t be identified yet as good or bad. Conversely, The Sea of Trees maybe the special one who kills both Muma and the dream.

Where are the cats? I’m beginning to miss them.

• March 12, 2011 at 8:24 pmAeon

I don’t think JC Staff made a contradiction. Merry is …Show Spoiler ▼

• March 12, 2011 at 8:29 pmKiiragi

Damn, called this back in episode six.
      Why haven’t they noticed that when Merry removes demons, the vessel keeps on going? >_>

• March 12, 2011 at 9:08 pmxcswmboy

The main characters have not really noticed a difference. Yumeji and Merry have not witnessed directly the sudden change when a person goes from dreamy to super emo. Likewise, Engi and Yui have not witnessed Merry banishing a muma yet. Therefore, they could not connect the dots to see that what Merry does is drastically different from muma killing. In the manga, it took an excruciating amount of emo-ness before they figured it out.

• March 12, 2011 at 9:18 pmKiiragi

I think the problem is that, it’s ridiculously obvious to the viewer, since we have cues such as their eyes being dimmed out. Maybe it would’ve been better if we were in the dark as well.

• March 13, 2011 at 5:12 amvirox

I’m agreeing on that one. Only the anime shows those emotionless vessels they become, because of Mistilteinn. In the manga, it wasn’t really all that obvious, not even to the reader. The only emotionsless human after having her dream destroyed is shown in volume 3, and none of the characters from the “good” side is present at that time.
        Yumeji notices that Merry Show Spoiler ▼

• March 12, 2011 at 8:47 pmBGA

To me it’s just that…

• March 13, 2011 at 5:06 amvirox

There was another reason in the manga that made Merry doubt herself. During the first fight with Landsborough, the one that J.C.Staff cut really short, there was a scene where Merry punches Landsborough to send him back, but surprisingly it didn’t work, Landsborough just laughs it off. That’s why Merry really started to doubt her own power.

• March 12, 2011 at 8:24 pmMMBinNC

• March 12, 2011 at 8:37 pmmegalith

“So hold on, remember when Merry destroyed a couple demons way back in the early episodics, and their vessels continued about their days? I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this last week, but did J.C. Staff just contradict the main plotline with their own original material?”

That seems to be a whole right there. Unless they explain that.

• March 12, 2011 at 8:39 pmmegalith

*hole.
      I don’t want to make any speculations but it seems that it depends on how much control the dream demon has over its vessel.

• March 12, 2011 at 9:02 pmMichael Chandra

Y’know, the manga explains it. Quite well even. -___- But nooooo, we’re going original ending here.

• March 12, 2011 at 8:38 pmkoager

lol. This whole contradiction loop hole thing was something I mentioned last week in the comments and is the reason I go pbbbt at this show compared to other series.

• March 12, 2011 at 8:39 pmkoager

or a few weeks ago. It was back in ep07′s blog

• March 12, 2011 at 9:16 pmKiiragi

Huh, you’re right. I wonder why I didn’t pick up on it :/

• March 12, 2011 at 8:46 pmewok40k

So we have now knowledge who is inhabiting Chizuru… another Muma with a grudge – against Mistletoe – but one more dark and sinister than Engi. I hope both of them will get their revenge.
    But Elcres, who is hiding god knows in who, will be probably left for the second season, if it comes.
    Also suspicious poemwriter bishie is suspicious.

• March 12, 2011 at 9:23 pmGerbil

Plot…dragging on…sooooo slowwwwwwww…feels like the material is getting spread a bit thin. I thought the Saki squirming scene was pretty cute though.

But, yeah, all in all not a bad episode. At least we know there will be a confrontation next week.

• March 12, 2011 at 9:43 pmKarmafan

I’m assuming that some (if not all) anime series will be affected by whats going on in Japan? The series we are seeing here on RC are already out before the Earthquake/Tsumani hit? Tegami Bachi Letter Bee is usually out and subbed by now. I saw Merry, Fractale, and the others on the main page 1-2 days ago from Torrents sites like Tokyo Tosh.

• March 12, 2011 at 9:45 pmricz

Sigh.. I would like to see the ability of yumeji in the anime
    His ability in the manga(if you don’ read the manga try it :p)

• March 12, 2011 at 11:50 pmoutcast

I like the character interactions and the fun stuff. The plot and angst it doesn’t really get me.

• March 13, 2011 at 7:07 amamado

the reason for the sort of cheap history is because they’re obviously rushing and putting as much canon material as possible before they do an anime ending.
    I wonder if they will include john doe in this anime ending. he makes quite an epic reappearance which sadly cant fit due to the limited eps…

• March 13, 2011 at 9:21 amXanathos

So… the only relief here is that everybody is “allying” themselves of some sort, to fight Mysteltainn (Engi, Yui, Yumeji, Merry, Chizuru and Leon) as a common foe. Now, the only thing that comes next is that Mysteltain is equally strong as Elcres…

• March 13, 2011 at 2:05 pmaaa

You know what, after Japan been hit by such a huge Earthquake, i’m surprised this site didn’t say anything. No special post or “Help Donate” links or anything. Just a tiny announcement saying shows might be delayed…………..Japan is in a crisis and you are only caring about the ANIME?!?!!! At least make a special condolences post ADMINS!! i mean, this IS a site dedicated completely to vivid part of JAPANESE culture………..i’m just a little disappointed…..

ps – here’s a link for DONATIONS if anyone feel like pausing their shows for a sec and put in 10$ or so:

here’s a CrunchyRoll link (they said they’ll match any donations, but i have doubts on their dependency):

• March 13, 2011 at 2:31 pmjimmywolf

am happy their not posting more on japan in a crisis turn on the tv it their surf the web it their read a random post it their yes am sorry for their lose but if your going help you already done it no need force feed their sorrow on us P.S. was it this bad for everyone else when 9/11 happen? hope not

• March 13, 2011 at 3:57 pmShirt

Yes. It was this bad for 9/11. I watched it from start to finish. Not only were their immediate deaths, but long term ones too.

• March 13, 2011 at 6:09 pmaaa

geez i’m sorry that i spoiled the mood……didn’t mean to ruin your excitement over hottt anime yaoi guys or girls w/ biig boobss, while thousands of ppl from where these great shows are born are in state of emergency and you are complaining about how late the next ep is gonna be released……

i just thought people here would show some Respect and Care for the country that MAKES these wonderful shows….>.> i guess i’m wrong….and i suppose ppl like you wouldn’t bother to donate even if i post the link here….how naive of me. That was my mistake.

• March 13, 2011 at 8:34 pmDa5id

Okay, now you’re overreacting. Just because people haven’t showed concern on this website does not mean that they haven’t on others. You can’t tell whether or not people haven’t followed the links, so stop acting like you’re being ignored. Or better yet, stop acting like you’re the only one who cares about what’s going on over, asshole. I saw the footage myself when it was just coming on TV, and it shouldn’t happen to anyone. If I had money TO donate, I WOULD. My heart goes out to them, and as I mentioned before, I don’t care when any of the shows come back on as long as the people in danger are okay.

Leaving the links is enough for now. When you’ve donated half your savings to the cause, then come and complain that we aren’t doing enough. Until then, shut the hell up.

• March 13, 2011 at 9:15 pmSerapita

Why the hostility?

People DO care but why would they bring the subject up? If you want to show your support, there are tons of website for that already. People visit this place to have some fun and fun helps ease the gloomy mood and sadness too. You know that even in this crisis, the Japanese TV still insist they must have some form of entertainment showing in the program since being gloomy all the time is bad for you, they need something to relieve stresses as well.

And how would you know people here don’t visit those websites? They might but they just don’t want to respond to your post, or they might visit other website than the one you post.

• March 13, 2011 at 5:48 pmDa5id

Well, this (or the Gundam Unicorn 3) will likely be the last post for awhile, seeing as all or most of the stations are likely down because of the huge ducking earthquake.

Not a big deal for me, really. I can make due. Hopefully the relief efforts can go smoothly and the world can get back to watching their cartoons.

• March 13, 2011 at 6:58 pmBonnie

Yeah! I agree with aaa! we should be concerned about the country who makes these shows! not the shows themselves.

• March 13, 2011 at 7:24 pmhaseo408

What Japan needs right now is the soport and solidarity, the going through hell and that´s the only thing that we can do and pray that they recive all the help they can get. At moments like this the color of our skin, the lenguage we speak or the traditions we have are insignificant, we are all humans and we need to bring to our brothers whatever aid at our reach.

• March 13, 2011 at 8:04 pmKarmafan

Latest reports put the death toll at +10,000 and hundreds of thousands of people have had no food, water, or electricity since it happened.

• March 13, 2011 at 11:05 pmwasabi

Isana is cute :P

PRAY FOR JAPAN

• March 14, 2011 at 2:04 amShirt

Another question that pops in my head is “Who exactly died?“. The toll was enormous.

• March 14, 2011 at 3:15 pmSheepy

Well, it seems like the anime will be completely different from the manga (potentially even the characters). That for me, can be interesting in its own way. But yeah, the anime adaptation does seem very contradictory at this point unless they give us a nice bone some time to explain all this.

And of course,
    Pray for Japan TT

• March 14, 2011 at 4:39 pmWren

Wish I could do more than donate and pray for Japan. I do know that those people can only emerge even stronger from this.

• March 16, 2011 at 8:53 amRyusen

Like most people I have pointed out the contradiction about the dreams being destroyed and my gues to why merry can send them back was more or less the same as those said people.

Japan: Seriously? You really think we don’t care? Well we do care, but we don’t want to bring down people’s mood. There are already tons of sites right now with the DONATE button and Post about it. Heck I made a post about it in DeviantArt, But not a serious one… Since I joked about half of the post…