FRACTALE – 10 »« FRACTALE – 08

FRACTALE   09   25 FRACTALE   09   26 FRACTALE   09   27
FRACTALE   09   28 FRACTALE   09   29 FRACTALE   09   30
FRACTALE   09   31 FRACTALE   09   32 FRACTALE   09   33
FRACTALE   09   34 FRACTALE   09   35 FRACTALE   09   36

「追いつめられて」 (Oitsumerarete)
“Cornered”

First Phryne, now Moeran? I may have gotten the purple hair and eyes look I was hoping for, but she’s 26 years older than Phryne. Try as I might, I can’t say it’s going to have the same appeal on a 40-year-old character. Of course, that was just the fallout of Barrot’s implication that Moeran is just another clone of the original Phryne, namely the 141,923rd one. The Phryne we know on the other hand turns out to be 152,589, which by the power of math tells us that at least 10,666 others were created during that 26-year span. In the sixteen years since, I would imagine more than half of that amount have been created, putting the overall scale of the cloning operation into perspective.

As horrible as that sounds, I’ll be somewhat disappointed if that’s the extent of the “dark secret” behind the Fractale System. To be fair, it was pretty eye-opening to learn something of that magnitude’s been going on and countless girls have been killed because they didn’t meet the requirements of becoming half of the key, so any disappointment is from having ample time to let all that sink in and being hungry for more revelations. It’s almost as if the writers sprung the surprise prematurely and now I’m left in anticipation of more given the handful of episodes remaining. However, the details on how combining the personality of the original Phryne stored in Nessa with the perfect copy of her body will restart the Fractale System have yet to be revealed, so there’s still that avenue to be explored.

Incidentally, the sheer number of clones and the crumbling state of the Fractale System suggest that the Monastery’s been unsuccessful in producing the perfect clone for some time now. There hasn’t been any explanation as to why that may be, but I would say it’s very likely that Phryne will turn out to be a perfect one. The thought of that leads me to two possible conclusions to this series, both of which have a sorrowful aspect to them. The first would be the Fractale System isn’t rebooted in time like Lost Millennium hopes to do with their all-out attack, which would lead to the loss of Nessa once it goes offline. The second would be that Clain learns the Fractale System needs to be kept online for some world-ending reason, and Phryne sacrifices herself to reboot it after having Nessa’s personality transferred over. If things actually turn out this way, it’ll be a very heartfelt finale since Clain will likely have to choose who he’s going to sacrifice.

Despite the semi-uplifting latter half of this episode with Lost Millennium rallying its troops from all over the world, the group picture with the Granites family had death flags written all over it. I originally thought it meant that someone like Enri would bite the bullet, but in order to truly have some impact, it would probably have to be one of our three main characters. The possible endings I have in mind coincide with that, so I’m really curious if the plot will go down that route in the final two episodes. I feel like I’ve been emotionally “baited in” with how well they’re getting along, which includes Clain’s confession that he likes Phryne. If one of them died now, it would be a huge shock.

* Phryne’s letter is possibly the best English I’ve ever seen in an anime. A-1 Pictures or Ordet clearly got someone who actually knows the language to write it. It’s not perfect but it’s close.

March 20, 2011 at 12:55 am
  • March 20, 2011 at 1:21 amJustin

I’m speculating a very happy ending… I hope… :(… Because I like happy endings! One possible conclusion could be that Phryne and Nessa combine to make the original Phryne/Nessa, and she lives happily ever after with Clain!… and make babies…

• March 20, 2011 at 7:25 amSpacyRicochet

Babies? I thought you liked happy endings!

And as for making an impact, impact in Japan often seems to mean “let’s kill off all the side-characters, since we assume people actually care for them just as much as for the main characters”. However, I do think Nessa is probably going “God of the Matrix” at the end, saving the rest.

But yes, hoping for happy endings as well. Seeing and being reminded of Nessa throughout their lives seems like a happy ending to me as well.

• March 20, 2011 at 9:23 pmBROOKLYN otaku

“Babies? I thought you liked happy endings!”..ahhhhh hahaha, I lol’ed at that one

• March 20, 2011 at 1:36 amLuxorcist

Whoaaaa a choice between the two… didn’t think of it that way.

• March 20, 2011 at 1:36 amRei

What a name: Moeran O_o;;….
    Nessa Nesas Nessa ;A; But what i’m most happy about this episode is that HE LIKES HER AND WILL CHASE AFTER HER. With Nessa in tow. That group photo…. ;_; hope there’s a happy ending to reflect it.
    Two side of the keys though hmm. 2 episodes left, can’t wait!

• March 20, 2011 at 1:48 amjrj

death flag? yes, it is all over the place… normally when someone pulling an all-out attack, likely there will be death…
    though clain finally manned up a bit by going after phryne and trying to get her back. good to see.
    can’t wait to see how the end comes about

• March 20, 2011 at 1:56 aminfo600

fast question: how the heck can Nessa be seen from the camera during the group photo?

…and the end is begun…

• March 20, 2011 at 2:07 amTehJawknee

Unless Clain modified the camera, she can’t be seen. But having her between them makes her feel loved, so it’s more of a placebo than the actual picture.

• March 20, 2011 at 4:04 amRickyMack

i also imagine that’s why clain had to look at nessa without the view finder to tell her she needs to smile. remember, nessa doesn’t like being left out!

• March 20, 2011 at 6:56 amDivine

She won’t appear in the actual photo. There’s one scene that shows the view from Clain’s camera lens and it looks like Phryne’s hands are on no one’s shoulders.

• March 20, 2011 at 8:44 amkwantum0

Hey what happened to clone Nessa? wasn’t that her with Phryne in the Bunker? When did she become digital Nessa?!?? I’m so confused o.O

• March 20, 2011 at 10:40 amAyle

Nessa is a doppel, the clones we saw last time are Phryne’s clones and they all probably died when the base was bombed.

• March 20, 2011 at 3:47 amyoz

This somehow really reminds me of Last Exile, giant airships, world controlling faction, similarly aged main characters…

• March 20, 2011 at 4:18 amGP007

Damnit Phryne! Stop running away already! What is it with chicks in anime that compelles them to run off on some idiotic mission all the time?

That aside I hope for a happy ending as well.

• March 20, 2011 at 4:30 amKnowngni

I have one speculation which follows your speculation that Phryne is the special one. Show Spoiler ▼

I wonder how it goes in the novel since I can’t read that.

• March 20, 2011 at 5:31 amThe Story You Don’t Know

Now that’s a good speculation! The idea is perfect. Clain likes Nessa and doesn’t want her to disappear but he doesn’t have any romantic interest in her. She’s more like of a little sister/daughter type. Clain loves Phryne and obviously he doesn’t want her to disappear either. Your idea would be the perfect ending.

• March 20, 2011 at 7:59 amboingman

*applauds* What a good ending that would be.

• March 20, 2011 at 8:32 amDivine

Is this assuming that they’re going to reboot the Fractale System? If so, it seems to overlook that Phryne would likely be sacrificed after the merger.

• March 20, 2011 at 9:34 amLuxorcist

Adding to Divine, I always thought Show Spoiler ▼

or am I interpreting the info in episode 8 the wrong way?

• March 20, 2011 at 4:55 amAnanas

Whoever taught Phryne how to write good english didn’t bother to tell her how to spell her name right. Or are we facing engrish?

• March 20, 2011 at 6:37 amkoja

In reality it could be spelt like that. You know there’s alot of unpronouncable-in-spelling names. I think the worst are the French

• March 20, 2011 at 6:58 amDivine

I think Ananas is referring to how the R and Y are swapped. The official site does spell it as “Phryne” after all.

• March 24, 2011 at 11:46 pmnod

Not really, try names from eastern europe countries ^^

• March 20, 2011 at 6:07 amKarmafan

I too think we have a bittersweet ending coming. Best get ready for it because some folks in that picture will not be alive when it ends.

• March 20, 2011 at 7:39 amSpoilerMaker

It seems that during the most recent episodes it is hinted that Nessa is actually some sort of living thing and possibly was used by the temple for their own benefits (as a “God”). I wonder what are other “doppels” then …

• March 20, 2011 at 7:42 amglubglubglubglub

God I hope Enri gets killed somehow

• March 20, 2011 at 8:20 amanishuma

I’m hoping for the same thing bro.

• March 20, 2011 at 8:18 amZaku Fan

My guess is that Nessa’s going to disappear at the end while Phryne is ok.

• March 20, 2011 at 8:38 ammario2man

All the english in the past episodes used on the computers and doppels have been great too.

• March 20, 2011 at 8:39 amkwantum0

…so… just a thought.
    If they had enough resources to build ~160,000 clones… why couldn’t they have just manually repaired the fractale system? You know, with the same machinery you used to build it in the first place; or the new machinery you could have built with the knowledge from the fractale and the resources to make giant cloning operations. And I cannot see how a piece of data could even physically repair a server… (unless of course there are repair bots or something whose control mechanism lies too deep in the fractale to access…)

Really think this is a Red Herring, and even if Nessa and Phryne end up sacrificing themselves, the Fractale system will still be broken. The idea that it could even be repaired this way is probably a myth that developed as the whole “fractale religion” thing developed.

• March 21, 2011 at 10:14 amDivine

The catch is that no one knows how the Fractale System works anymore and no idea how to repair it other than “rebooting” it like they’ve always done.

Cloning on the other hand seems to be something that Barrot figured out to achieve that.

• March 20, 2011 at 9:41 amr3dking

So Phryne can’t spell her own name? (end of letter)

• March 21, 2011 at 10:15 amDivine

Seems that way.

• March 20, 2011 at 10:27 amewok40k

I really dont know how the key to reboot can be born by matching data of Nessa with living body of a real girl. Still the extent of the cloning operation is heart-wrenching. I think equally pitiful was plea by Phryne for clain to sleep with her and therefore make her uneligible to become key.

• March 20, 2011 at 11:34 amboingman

Wait, as I understood it, she was afraid of those nightmares and simply didn’t want to sleep alone. Nothing to do with losing her virginity. And as you see it later, they’re all 3 together sleeping in the same bed.

• March 20, 2011 at 10:55 amUnyty

This anime turned out to be something enjoyable. The last scene with the L.M attacking was sugoi!

• March 20, 2011 at 11:32 amxcswmboy

Aw…so we know the possible ending already. Well, most animes rarely end on happily ever after tones (ie. TTGL), but Fractale did seem the fairy tale type (+bloodshed).

@Divine: sorry for nitpicking, but “It’s not perfect but it’s [a] close” doesn’t seem to be grammatically correct. I though that was ironically funny. ^^;;

• March 21, 2011 at 10:15 amDivine

Nah, that’s not nitpicking. Thanks for the correction. Apparently I’m no better than Phryne. I don’t think I’ve spelled my own name wrong yet though.

• March 20, 2011 at 4:01 pmmario2man

Divin why did you not mention Clain’s speech where he says “Those who love Fractale and those who hate it. Those who would fight to destory or protect it. But regardless of those peoples wishes, the world is still beautiful.” I though that was the most important scene in this episode next to the scene where clain is told not to fight because he is not one of LM.

• March 21, 2011 at 10:17 amDivine

What would you have me say about it? He already made his decision to charge in and save Phryne regardless of what happens to the system.

• March 20, 2011 at 10:11 pmconyo985

When Phryne asked Clain to sleep with her then Nessa doesn’t want to be left out, anyone else thought of threesome?!! http://randomc.net/image/FRACTALE/FRACTALE%20-%2009%20-%20Large%2014.jpg

• March 21, 2011 at 12:32 pmSnicket

@conyo985, no you’re not the only one. I think we all thought the same thing…well most of us anyway. :P

Any who, this is shaping up to be one of the better series this season. However the next few play out, i still think it can still hold that position. that is unless it ends up being all a dream or everyone dies, or everything is reset.

• March 22, 2011 at 3:46 pminnerchihiro

This show reminds me so much of Eureka Seven. Love that anime.

• March 23, 2011 at 2:48 pmAisu

I’M GOING TO CRY IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO SUNDA.